Should MDA be fired?

Should MDA be fired?

Yes, he ran Kobe to the ground. Coaches need to control the player's minutes.
81%
No, its not his fault. He was just respecting Kobe's will.
18%

Total votes : 104

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:32 pm

borri wrote:Rest assured, it's gonna be a coach who can utilize D12 best AND someone that D12 will give the OK to.

I hope you're right but I would imagine Dwight might shy away now from drawing a hard line in the sand and furthering the perception of him being a selfish coach killer after what went down in Orlando. But I really hope you're right.
LTLakerFan

Postby VincentTH on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:34 pm

If I remember correctly, after the debacle in Utah with the rookie wearing #8 mising the shot that sent the Jazz to the next round, Shaq came out and said: "I want Phil Jackson as my coach next year", and the rest is history.

Hoping that D12 can force Jimmy's hand and make history repeat itself!!!!
VincentTH

Postby 432J on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:40 pm

cleveland hiring brown is great news since it means LA is off the hook for the rest of his salary and will have enough to spend and hire a new coach

i think this should signal the end for dan tony. although i doubt phil will come back, you never know. i'd love if shaw and the FO patched things up and brought him in as HC. i still think he'd be the best fit for this team. and i hope jim buss has no say whatsoever in who gets hired after the last two mistakes he made
432J

Postby JGC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:44 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
JGC wrote:Depends on who the replacement coach will be. If it's not going to be Phil, then just stick with MDA. I'd rather the team focus on improving the roster which is the real problem.

Dan Tony the Coach is every effing bit part of the "real problem".

LOL, it's D'Antoni man cmon. Haha.

Yeah, Phil Jackson was the problem. Then Mike Brown was the problem. Then MDA was the problem and Phil Jackson is no longer the problem but has become the solution.

The only coach worth firing MDA for at this point is Phil Jackson. Otherwise, you're just 'Phil-chasing' and firing new coaches that come in every year.
JGC

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:46 pm

432J wrote:cleveland hiring brown is great news since it means LA is off the hook for the rest of his salary and will have enough to spend and hire a new coach

i think this should signal the end for dan tony. although i doubt phil will come back, you never know. i'd love if shaw and the FO patched things up and brought him in as HC. i still think he'd be the best fit for this team. and i hope jim buss has no say whatsoever in who gets hired after the last 3 mistakes he made

^^ Fixed it for you 432J. Let's not forget how his Rudy T hiring went as well. 3 strikes, you're out of the coach hiring process please.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:47 pm

Well I was wrong about Mike's buyout being a lumpsum. Apparently, Pincus @ LA Times just confirmed that the numbers would offset possibly softening a D'Antoni firing.....if true....great news!

The Lakers still owe Brown in the neighborhood of $6 million to $7 million, his full salary for the 2013-14 season and a partial amount for the following year.

If Brown and the Cavaliers can cement an agreement, some of the Lakers' debt to Brown will be offset. Exact figures aren't clear but a rough estimate would have the Lakers saving between $3 million and $4 million.

To date, the Lakers maintain D'Antoni will return as coach next season. Would the Brown economics change their position?
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:52 pm

JGC wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:
JGC wrote:Depends on who the replacement coach will be. If it's not going to be Phil, then just stick with MDA. I'd rather the team focus on improving the roster which is the real problem.

Yeah, Phil Jackson was the problem. Then Mike Brown was the problem. Then MDA was the problem and Phil Jackson is no longer the problem but has become the solution.

The only coach worth firing MDA for at this point is Phil Jackson. Otherwise, you're just 'Phil-chasing' and firing new coaches that come in every year.

Hold on, if you're going back to Phil in 2011 the problem was the roster and everyone knows that. We acknowledged that in trying to get CP3. CP3 + Dwight and Kobe would have been better than what we have now. The guys were tired from 3 straight Finals. People always forget that, and act like it isn't a factor.

That fell through and we still got Sessions. Then we added Hill, who turned out to be a great fit. Our team couldn't play defense worth a damn, and had no bench. Still we got a 3rd seed under Mike Brown. With a hobbled Kobe shell of Pau. Still that team under performed.

So we signed Meeks for shooting, extended Hill, and tried to improve our bench with Jamison. Then we got Nash. And Dwight.

You're telling me that Phil Jackson in 2011 wouldn't have done any better with the guys we have now? Balogna.

Mike Brown was a problem, but we were not waiting until the last day of the season to make the playoffs. Huge difference. If you gave MDA the roster we had in 2011 or 2012, we miss the playoffs for sure.

We still need improvements, but this team is a 7th seed because of the coach 65%. Injuries 35%. Coaching makes a huge difference, we made enough roster changes to not be a 7th seed. We should be a 2 seed, maybe 3.
Chillbongo

Postby Center Court on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
JGC wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:

Hold on, if you're going back to Phil in 2011 the problem was the roster and everyone knows that. We acknowledged that in trying to get CP3. CP3 + Dwight and Kobe would have been better than what we have now. The guys were tired from 3 straight Finals. People always forget that, and act like it isn't a factor.

That fell through and we still got Sessions. Then we added Hill, who turned out to be a great fit. Our team couldn't play defense worth a damn, and had no bench. Still we got a 3rd seed under Mike Brown. With a hobbled Kobe shell of Pau. Still that team under performed.

So we signed Meeks for shooting, extended Hill, and tried to improve our bench with Jamison. Then we got Nash. And Dwight.

You're telling me that Phil Jackson in 2011 wouldn't have done any better with the guys we have now? Balogna.

Mike Brown was a problem, but we were not waiting until the last day of the season to make the playoffs. Huge difference. If you gave MDA the roster we had in 2011 or 2012, we miss the playoffs for sure.

We still need improvements, but this team is a 7th seed because of the coach 65%. Injuries 35%. Coaching makes a huge difference, we made enough roster changes to not be a 7th seed. We should be a 2 seed, maybe 3.

By no means am an MDA supporter, but this is wrong.
Center Court

Postby Armani on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:09 pm

This is great news. Now MDA can LEGITIMATELY be fired. :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

Not that Buss will do it... but there's still a chance. One can hope. :bang:
Armani

Postby karacha on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:17 pm

Weezy wrote:I disagree it's only if we get Phil also, there are plenty of better coaches out there than 'Antoni.

Plenty? Who are those coaches, and are they all available and/or willing to come back to coaching?

I'm all for firing MDA if we can get Phil. Just to make it clear. But who else is available and clearly better then MDA, someone who is a better fit for the team too, someone who will not make people chant "We want Phil" again.

You say there are plenty, and since I would also like to get rid of MDA if possible, I'd love to hear those names. "Plenty" suggests, I don't know... 5-6 coaches that are better, great fit and available. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I will gladly listen.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Chillbongo wrote:...we made enough roster changes to not be a 7th seed. We should be a 2 seed, maybe 3.

With these injuries and old players on the roster?

No.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:32 pm

Injuries notwithstanding. I acknowledged that in the portion that wasn't quoted.

With a better coach and health this team is a 2-3 seed.
Chillbongo

Postby karacha on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:46 pm

With this and with that we could be champions, yes. But that's a "what if..." game, and I don't like playing it, in general.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:50 pm

:man3: Then don't step on the court. I was responding to another poster.

:wave:
Chillbongo

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:52 pm

I'd rather use the money saved to bring in Rambis or McMillan as defensive assistant than fire Pringles right away tbh. Let them spend a couple seasons getting comfortable then let them take over if MDA hasn't won yet. Or if you want to go another route, that could be money that allows us to keep Earl Clark in a free agent class where tons of teams have cap.
lakersin4

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:54 pm

JGC wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:

Actually Phil wasn't the problem, Kobe's failing health (knee) and lack of help from role players were, MB was the problem because of him trying to force the Princeton even after we had gotten different pieces and the team not showing any progress, not sure if D'Antoni is the "problem" or not but he has admitted before that he doesn't like post ups which is clearly what this team needs to do. He has shown humility in allowing Pau and Dwight to play together and post up more though so take it as you will. With that said anyone who would rather keep MDA rather than get Phil is being foolish sine Phil has a clear track record of winning while MDA does not.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:59 pm

KBJelleyBean24 wrote:Actually Phil wasn't the problem, Kobe's failing health (knee) and lack of help from role players were, MB was the problem because of him trying to force the Princeton even after we had gotten different pieces and the team not showing any progress, not sure if D'Antoni is the "problem" or not but he has admitted before that he doesn't like post ups which is clearly what this team needs to do.

Indeed, along with 5 playoff runs by our main core by 2011. 3 runs all the way to the Finals, and 2 years of playoff play before that.

The issues with Brown are numerous, but his system was probably the main reason we went 0-8 and then 1-4.

This year we have a much better bench than since 2010. We have a Pau and Kobe that's better than since 2010. And Dwight > Bynum on defense, a huge area of need since 2010. We are better equipped now than since any season since our last title. Even if Kobe and Pau are older. Kobe played like something else this year, Pau as well when he was available. The problem is the coach and system. Could we make roster changes? Of COURSE! We need some key guys off the bench and someone in place of MWP no doubt.
Chillbongo

Postby JGC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:07 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
JGC wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:

So what you're saying is the roster doesn't need any changes next season ... and the difference between this team being ELITE and not ELITE is changing the coach?

Disagree entirely.

I'm not even a fan of MDA. Phil Jackson would have done better, but not substantially better. The roster is flawed. It really doesn't even make much sense. I've been saying this since preseason ... are you not following my posts? (I kid about following my posts).
JGC

Postby JGC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Injuries notwithstanding. I acknowledged that in the portion that wasn't quoted.

With a better coach and health this team is a 2-3 seed.

No. With a better coach and health, this team is a 6 seed.
JGC

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:10 pm

For some perspective, Pjax all-time winning percentage: .704; in the playoffs: .688
On the other hand, Mike D'Antoni all-time percentages: .536; in the the playoffs: .464
In other words you have about a 20% better chance of winning both in the regular season (highers seeding) and in the playoffs (deeper runs) with Phil than Mike. Not saying the roster can't improve some, but coaching definitely plays a key factor in how successful a team is. There is a reason SSOL has never won anything while the triangle has won many a championships. The key is to give the team the best chance of winning, which Phil as apposed to Mike gives us.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:10 pm

No JGC, elite is being the #1 seed. There are only two elite teams this year, OKC & MIA.

Follow my posts, where did I say we don't need any changes? :man12: In fact, read the post above yours, that will answer your question.

We need changes. That has been established. Moving Pau for a starting SF and a couple of bench pieces could do the job.

What everyone seems to forget is how many times we lost this year within 5-7 points. Or how many we lost after leading by double digits.

You give me a better coach AND no injuries, that's easily 10 more games. Which would equate to a #3 seed...
Chillbongo

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:19 pm

Here is why I'm a bit concerned....lets say money opens up with the Brown signing and that allows us to fire MDA.

The legitimate candidates are Phil (his disciples like Rambis and Shaw), the Van Gundy Bros, Sloan, Adelman and Dunleavey (????)

We all know the dynamics with Jimmy and Phil...so not looking good here. His disciples? Jimmy didn't like the slow pace of the triangle...again, not looking good.

With the Van Gundy bros, you have JVG who seems to be too protective of his coaching fraternity. Numerous times over broadcasts he's said that MDA gets attacked too much because its not an ideal situation for him and he's done the best with what he could. Pretty much PC lip service for the brotherhood. Of course there is also the Van Gundy thing which brings us to Dwigh..uh, SVG. We all know the back story here, but supposedly they still talk often and maybe they put it behind them....then again, maybe its just lip service. Chances here are probably just as good as Phil, which is probably not looking good at all.

When it comes to Sloan, maybe he needed a year off to recharge, but he's really a wild card. The fact that LA didn't look at him after the Brown firing may also mean, he's not a likely candidate.

Adelman is really interesting cause he seems like a great fit (until Pau gets traded that is). Dwight and Pau give him that dynamic that he had in Sac with Webb and Vlade. Post Phil, it was huge misstep to go with Brown over Adelman. Of course there is his ill wife that comes into play and that is a HUGE priority for him. If he plays the Fisher card, maybe she gets better specialized care here that he wouldn't in Minny....so I guess the rest is on JImmy....and we all know how he handled it the first time. Chances here, once again, don't look good.

Then there is Dunleavey who was interviewed by Jimmy for nearly 90 minutes. Then you look at Jimmy's track record and folks, we have our most likely candidate for the next hire.

I don't believe in MDA at all. But still, I'm super nervous if JImmy sticks to his script and doesn't change the way he makes his decisions.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:28 pm

^FWIW John Ireland among other reporters were saying after MDA got hired that he was having second thoughts about D'Antoni and wanted to go the Phil direction but Dr. Buss told him to stick to his guns and go in the direction his gut originally told him. Not sure how much stock you can put into this though.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:32 pm

^Now it's more about what Phil wants to do rather than what Jim does. Sure Jim makes poor decisions, but does Phil want to rescue us? It could come down to Jeanie.

If plan A doesn't work, I really hope Dunleavy isn't the answer. That has failure written all over it. I mean all over. I'd rather take a chance on someone unproven than settle for what Dunleavy is.

I'd take Adelman, Sloan, Shaw, JVG, Scott, Bickerstaff , and SVG over Dunleavy, in that order.
Chillbongo

Postby The Rock on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:40 pm

At the end of the day regardless of who our coach next year is, we need to change the roster, add more shooters, add more young legs out in the perimeter, find a stretch 4. Use Pau as your trade chip to address those needs. AND ACTUALLY FILL UP THE DAMN ROSTER. lack of depth was a killer this year and having open roster spots made no sense at all...guys like Mike James, Chris Andersen were picked up off the street and were huge after the trade deadline for teams to pick up some wins

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion