Should MDA be fired?

Should MDA be fired?

Yes, he ran Kobe to the ground. Coaches need to control the player's minutes.
81%
No, its not his fault. He was just respecting Kobe's will.
18%

Total votes : 104

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby Weezy on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:21 pm

karacha wrote:
Weezy wrote:I disagree it's only if we get Phil also, there are plenty of better coaches out there than 'Antoni.

Plenty? Who are those coaches, and are they all available and/or willing to come back to coaching?

I'm all for firing MDA if we can get Phil. Just to make it clear. But who else is available and clearly better then MDA, someone who is a better fit for the team too, someone who will not make people chant "We want Phil" again.

You say there are plenty, and since I would also like to get rid of MDA if possible, I'd love to hear those names. "Plenty" suggests, I don't know... 5-6 coaches that are better, great fit and available. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I will gladly listen.

You seem little upset, especially with my use of the word "plenty" as it seemingly made you increasingly angry as you said it each time. We're just talkin man, my intent was not to get you heated. I've made it clear how much I cannot stand 'Antoni, and how I think the majority if coaches in the NBA are better than him, because he's a joke and a clown of a coach, that's literally his whole thing, spout cliches and make jokes to the media.

As to the plenty of coaches out there, I stand by what I said because by my definition of better than 'Antoni there are. We can waste another season just so we don't have to pay a new coach, or we could go in a new direction, an actual direction with like you know, a real captain steering the ship instead of the nowhere we're going now. Based on who is and who I believe will be available this offseason at some point to take over the list looks like this that I would kick 'Antoni to the curb for

Phil Jackson
Jerry Sloan
Byron Scott
Brian Shaw
Rick Adelman
Stan Van Gundy (possibly even Jeff Van Gundy who knows)

And that's just off the top of my head and who we know of now, and I'd take any of them over 'Antoni in a second. They might not all be realistic, but with the Lakers you never know.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:27 pm

Weezy wrote:
karacha wrote:
Weezy wrote:I disagree it's only if we get Phil also, there are plenty of better coaches out there than 'Antoni.

Plenty? Who are those coaches, and are they all available and/or willing to come back to coaching?

I'm all for firing MDA if we can get Phil. Just to make it clear. But who else is available and clearly better then MDA, someone who is a better fit for the team too, someone who will not make people chant "We want Phil" again.

You say there are plenty, and since I would also like to get rid of MDA if possible, I'd love to hear those names. "Plenty" suggests, I don't know... 5-6 coaches that are better, great fit and available. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I will gladly listen.

You seem little upset, especially with my use of the word "plenty" as it seemingly made you increasingly angry as you said it each time. We're just talkin man, my intent was not to get you heated. I've made it clear how much I cannot stand 'Antoni, and how I think the majority if coaches in the NBA are better than him, because he's a joke and a clown of a coach, that's literally his whole thing, spout cliches and make jokes to the media.

As to the plenty of coaches out there, I stand by what I said because by my definition of better than 'Antoni there are. We can waste another season just so we don't have to pay a new coach, or we could go in a new direction, an actual direction with like you know, a real captain steering the ship instead of the nowhere we're going now. Based on who is and who I believe will be available this offseason at some point to take over the list looks like this that I would kick 'Antoni to the curb for

Phil Jackson
Jerry Sloan
Byron Scott
Brian Shaw
Rick Adelman

And that's just off the top of my head and who we know of now, and I'd take any of them over 'Antoni in a second. They might not all be realistic, but with the Lakers you never know.

To add to your list Weezy is another coach is waaaaaaaaay better than MDA: Larry Brown. His teams play at both ends of the floor, he is a master at making adjustments and gets a lot out of guys who really shouldn't be playing in the NBA. He has his issues but the guy can coach.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby Weezy on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:32 pm

No thank you to Larry Brown, he comes in and wants to change the entire roster, maybe turns a team around it a season and then leaves. He's too easily worn out by losing for my taste, and I think his players eventually feed off his misery.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:00 pm

Chillbongo wrote::man3: Then don't step on the court. I was responding to another poster.

:wave:

Sorry, I though you were responding to me, since you said "...in the portion that wasn't quoted...", and I was the one quoting you. It's all good. :beer:

Weezy wrote:You seem little upset, especially with my use of the word "plenty" as it seemingly made you increasingly angry as you said it each time. We're just talkin man, my intent was not to get you heated.

You know, I almost never get angry; I know it sounds strange, but it's true. I don't mind having a good discussion, even if we disagree. I wasn't angry at you at all, or even heated, but I admit I was a little tired today and obviously that resulted in a post that is not entirely... pleasant. I apologize for that. But really, no hard feelings man. This was just a small misunderstanding, in my opinion.

I've made it clear how much I cannot stand 'Antoni, and how I think the majority if coaches in the NBA are better than him, because he's a joke and a clown of a coach, that's literally his whole thing, spout cliches and make jokes to the media.

I do agree with some if it, especially the cliches part, but I don't think the majority of NBA coaches are better. I would argue he's right in the middle of the pack. Not the worst, far from the best. I am all for replacing him, but I feel you are maybe exaggerating this a little. It's almost fashionable to hate on the guy lately. He deserves some of it for sure, but not to that extreme. Again, just my opinion.

As to the plenty of coaches out there, I stand by what I said because by my definition of better than 'Antoni there are... Based on who is and who I believe will be available this offseason at some point to take over the list looks like this that I would kick 'Antoni to the curb for

Phil Jackson
Jerry Sloan
Byron Scott
Brian Shaw
Rick Adelman

Yes, I would take those guys too. But, here is the problem... you know this is not very realistic:

Phil? Terrific. But the management does not want him for various reasons.

Sloan. Tough guy, great coach. But he is going to be 72 soon and it's hard to see him as our future. He also said (I'm paraphrasing here): "LA Lakers, why would they give me a call? I wasn't exactly looking for a job."

Scott.
Eh. Probably not. I will respectfully disagree here. I don't think he would be any better.

Shaw. Sure, great guy. But he brings back the triangle. Does the management want that? Why not pay Phil then? In any case, he does deserve chance in this league, but... do we want to be the ones to take that risk?

Adelman. Great fit, I agree. Is he available?

Van Gundy brothers. Good coaches, but Jeff has a job that pays well and brings a lot less stress, while Stan... he has a history with Dwight. They seem to be fine now and all, but maybe that's just lip service. So, Stan might be a possibility, you never know.

And that's the list. It's a good one, for sure -- but not very realistic.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:07 pm

I would take Adelman off that list. He's not technically available and the only way he would be is if his wife was so sick he had to retire.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:28 pm

I guess I was just going off rumors with Adelman, thought I heard he might be out in Minny. As for Scott, I think he's a better coach than 'Antoni and would be much better received here especially as a former Laker. I think Shaw deserves a shot too, I think he's gonna be a really good coach, and if we take a shot now and it works we could have him for years and years. As for 'Antoni, you're probably right, he's closer to middle of the pack than bottom of the barrel. The list might not seem realistic, but again this is the Lakers, we often shoot for unrealistic and get it. If not for Stern we'd have CP3 and Dwight right now, the Lakers do things you might say there's no way that can happen. That's why I can't believe still that we settled on 'Antoni so quickly.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Well, let's hope for the best. We'll agree to disagree on Scott, and maybe we should give Shaw a chance. He is really talented, young, energetic... he played for the Lakers too. Not a bad choice.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:09 pm

scott is the wrong guy for dwight howard. the absolute wrong guy. he's a no nonsense, shut the F up, do it my way type coach

it's the main reason his presence wears on players and he eventually gets fired. he's a short term coach.

brian shaw is best case scenario for dwight. not sure how i feel about kobe being coached by someone he played with and won titles with though. hell it'd be weird for me
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby 432J on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:05 pm

obviously phil+his assistants is the best choice but the chances of that happening are slim to none after not only the way he was treated but with the grudge that jim buss holds against him, his return would be very, very shocking. but at the same time very welcome :bow:

sloan is a huge wild card in this and i think he'd be the worst possible fit for dwight. sloan is completely old school and no-nonsense which wouldn't fit in well with dwight at all.

scott is in the same boat as sloan, old school and not a good fit for dwight

shaw would be the 2nd best choice but with the FO wanting to get rid of everything phil related, i would doubt his return too, also due to the way he was passed over in favour of brown. i just don't see shaw returning to LA anytime soon. he seems comfortable in indy and with other teams knocking at the door, i'm sure he'd consider them over LA at this point

adelman, who would be a great fit, is completely out of the picture since he's currently coaching another team and has also had off court situations this season. so i don't understand why he'd just resign from his job and take the lakers job, especially with his off court issues.

that leaves us basically with macmillan, SVG, JVG, and dunleavy.

macmillan and JVG are both defensive minded coaches who i think would be a good fit for the team, but since the last "defensive coach" lasted only a year, the FO definitely won't be hiring either of these guys anytime soon

SVG won't get anywhere near dwight and as big of a clown as jim buss is, i don't think he's too out of his mind yet to hire dunleavy, although as sad as it sounds, it would not surprise me if dunleavy was hired. which would just cause hell to break loose in LA
432J

Postby The Rock on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:01 pm

The rest of the League wanted no part of Shaw why should we take a chance on him

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:25 pm

The Rock wrote:The rest of the League wanted no part of Shaw why should we take a chance on him

The rest of the league wanted no part of Shaw? :man3: Him not getting one of the few open jobs yet but being a highly valued assistant in Indiana means the league wanted no part of him? Sometimes it takes a while to get a shot, look at Mark Jackson. What do you have against Brian Shaw?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:42 pm

No if Orlando's management doesn't want him (Their roots go back to OKC and SAS btw) why should we? I think ORL's management is smart as hell they traded for a whole bunch of no names who turned out to be 10x better than anyone thought they'd be.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:14 am

One tea doesn't want him so nobody should, ok. I don't put a ton of stock into what Orlando does, reports I remember reading said players like Shaw and he can coach. He knew what it took to be a champion as a player, and he learned under Phil Jackson, I'd be as willing to give Shaw a shot as much as anyone else. I realize those 2 things I just listed haven't worked out for Rambis, but I don't know I just think there is serious potential with Shaw, he was a smart player. I think a lot of former players out there can probably coach too, it just takes somebody giving them that first chance.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:18 am

I Shaw would get even a chance I don't see why Phil would be completely out of the realm of possibility. If the FO would be willing to bring back the triangle, why wouldn't they go after the master of the triangle?
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby jlkr on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:46 am

No way I'd accept Scott. He wears players out mentally. 3 teams have now checked out on him.

Sloan would be interesting, he knows both ends of the floor, he can change things to fit his personnel, but he's old.

Adelman is committed elsewhere. He was Mitch's and Kobe's original preference if they wanted to get away from the triangle. Baseball cap boy overrode them and it's been a mess ever since. Huge mistake. Adelman *never* would have downgraded Gasol, he loves players like that. But water under the bridge ...

JVG is too comfortable now. D12 and SVG could get along again like Phil and Kobe did, but not sure SVG would be a good fit in Lakerland.

McMillan may be into the Detroit job, but he might go for the Lakers if it was open to him. Kobe respects him so ...

Shaw isn't coming back, that would require baseball cap boy to eat his cap with a serving of crow in it. Neither is Phil. Same reason. Jeanie's gonna have to figure out to send him back to the racetrack before we either one or both of those two.

The real issue is the possibility of no Kobe for a substantial part of the season if not all of it. In that light, pay another coach after buying out MDA? I'm not sure they go there. Unless D12 makes it a condition. But I'm not sure D12 does that, maybe he doesn't want to be responsible for firing another coach?
Last edited by jlkr on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Lakeshow24 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:48 am

jlkr wrote:No way I'd accept Scott. He wears players out mentally. 3 teams have now checked out on him.

Sloan would be interesting, he knows both ends of the floor, he can change things to fit his personnel, but he's old.

Adelman is committed elsewhere. He was Mitch's and Kobe's original preference if they wanted to get away from the triangle. Baseball cap boy overrode them and it's been a mess ever since. Huge mistake. Adelman *never* would have downgraded Gasol, he loves players like that. But water under the bridge ...

JVG is too comfortable now. D12 and SVG could get along again like Phil and Kobe did, but not sure SVG would be a good fit in Lakerland.

McMillan may be into the Detroit job, but he might go for the Lakers if it was open to him. Kobe respects him so ...

Shaw isn't coming back, that would require baseball cap boy to eat his cap with a serving of crow in it. Neither is Phil. Same reason. Jeanie's gonna have to figure out to send him back to the racetrack.

The real issue is the possibility of no Kobe for a substantial part of the season if not all of it. In that light, pay another coach after buying out MDA? I'm not sure they go there. Unless D12 makes it a condition. But I'm not sure D12 does that, maybe he doesn't want to be responsible for firing another coach?

Baseball cap boy. I understood it the second time I read you say it. :man10:
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby jlkr on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:50 am

Lakeshow24 wrote:
jlkr wrote:No way I'd accept Scott. He wears players out mentally. 3 teams have now checked out on him.

Shaw isn't coming back, that would require baseball cap boy to eat his cap with a serving of crow in it. Neither is Phil. Same reason. Jeanie's gonna have to figure out to send him back to the racetrack.

After the Brown hire, I refuse to name him.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Lakeshow24 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:14 am

jlkr wrote:
Lakeshow24 wrote:

After the Brown hire, I refuse to name him.

I gave him a pass on the Mike Brown thing, I actually thought it was a good hire. I was fully on board with it. But after the playoffs last year, my confidence started falling. Once I saw his preseason and first 5 games of this season performance I saw the light. I probably would have given him another 5 to 10 games before jumping totally off the ship, but I did have my life vest on and I was looking overboard at the distance between the deck and the water below to gain enough confidence to jump overboard.

But the straw was the D'Antoni hire. He had PJ right there, available, and that was just inexcusable. At least he HAD TO hire somebody other than PJ due to the 'retirement.' But D'Antoni was just an idiotic hire. IMO, he's the reason Kobe has a torn achillies. Nothing else. Any other explanation I see as damage control.

Now how's that for a conspiracy theory??
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:25 am

^I remember you contemplating jumping off the Brown train. :man10: :man10:

If Pringles does get fired, I cant imagine Jimmy will mess up again, and IMO hiring Phil isn't the only good move. In fact, after the embarrassment that surrounded the Pringles hire, Id personally be surprised if Phil is ever our coach again, because that would mean Jimmy had to do everything short of getting down on his knees begging Phil pardon in order to smooth out that disaster. I think that ship has probably sailed.

I dont know if Id make it through another botched hiring with my sanity tho lol. I mean Brown was hired after one interview when Adelman was available. Pringles was interviewed and hired over the phone while Phil's agent was literally on a flight to LA to strike a deal. In both cases the gap between the coaches hired and those they passed on is significant (to say the least).

Whats next? We eventually fire Pringles and interview JVG but then Jimmy runs into Dunleavy at Target and offers him the job after they bond while waiting in line at the deli counter?

If they did happen to move on from Pringles, I'll be holding my breath until they announce the new hire. I was on cloud 9 when I heard we were moving on from Brown until I saw the horrific post on CL that Sunday night announcing who his replacement was.

We are still the Lakers though, and I dont think any coach on the market would pass on the opportunity unless they decided definitively that they were done with coaching altogether, so atleast we'd have that going for us.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:45 am

Shaw isn't coming back, that would require baseball cap boy to eat his cap with a serving of crow in it. Neither is Phil. Same reason. Jeanie's gonna have to figure out to send him back to the racetrack before we either one or both of those two.

Meh.....he's comfortable here and still has all the contacts and friends from his first gig in the San Fernando Valley..... :man1:
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:16 am

I'll say this: the ONLY people who think Phil will/should/has a chance of coming to COACH the Los Angeles Lakers are fans.

Phil has said he doesn't want to coach. Everyone around Phil says he doesn't want to coach. He doesn't want to deal with the travel and the wear and tear on his body.

That ship hasn't just sailed, it's already reached it's destination and is being decommissioned.

I'd strike that name off the list of coaches to bring in. The coaches available would probably by Jerry Sloan, Larry Brown, Jeff Van Gundy, Brian Shaw, Nate McMillan, Jeff Van Gundy, Stan Van Gundy, Mike Dunleavy, Any of the recently fired coaches.

In order of least likely to most likely available.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:17 am

Looks like Shaw heading to Philly. Good luck with that

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:17 am

If it's for Phil or Adelman, you fire D'antoni in a second. Of course guys like Pop, Karl, Thibs, Doc, Carlisle, but chances of them becoming available are slim obviously. If none of that is possible you bring in a good defensive assistant like Rambis. I like Nate but I think we should extend the olive branch to Phil by bringing Rambis back. He'd do wonders for the D & wouldn't be an immediate threat to D'anoni's job like Nate might.
lakersin4

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:56 am

I would take Phil or either Van Gundy at this point.

Phil's teams have been known for good defense even though he's known more for the triangle. From the Bull's doberman defense to swapping matador Caron for steel palms Kwame....Phil may not have practiced defense, but he and his assistants sure emphasized something during their tape sessions.

The Van Gundys are proven in their defensive schemes. I love JVG's attitude, but even the more irritable and loud SVG has my respect since he turned Alston, Lewis, Turk and Lee into a top 3 defense around Dwight.

I want emphasis on D with the next coaching hire. Even after we move away from our tall frontline with the departure of Pau (whether through trade or contract expiring), in 2014 LA will get younger and I want those young athletic players to have a good fundamental defensive outlook to the game.

People point to the up and down, speed game that the league has turned into, but if you look at our last 2 champions, you had Carlisle with Chandler, Marion and Kidd set forth good defensive principles...and in terms of Miami, go look at what Spoels has done defensively since he got the nod.

Defense matters and MDA has nooo freaking clue about it. So follow him up with an emphasis on D...please!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby VincentTH on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:17 am

Weezy wrote:this is the Lakers, we often shoot for unrealistic and get it.

You mean the Lakers of old when the late Dr. Buss was at the helm. We are in Jimmy's era now :bang:
VincentTH

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion