Should MDA be fired?

Should MDA be fired?

Yes, he ran Kobe to the ground. Coaches need to control the player's minutes.
85
81%
No, its not his fault. He was just respecting Kobe's will.
19
18%
 
Total votes : 104

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby Dyeggoo on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:10 am

Well, if this injury prooves to be career-ending (God forbid), then MDA should be fired. Only to hire Kobe as the HC. :D
Image
User avatar
Dyeggoo

 
Posts: 605
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:06 am

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby havoc33 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:29 am

D'Antoni should get fired no matter what. Now with Kobe gone, what offense is he left with? Are we gonna have a head coach which calls the post up the most ineffective play in basketball figure out how to best utilize Howard and Gasol? I don't [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] think so.
User avatar
havoc33

 
Posts: 1186
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:40 am
Location: Norway

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby XXIV on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:07 am

Hiring MDA was a dumb decision even without the Kobe injury. We don't have the personal to run his system and he can't even control his players' minutes effectively. I view him as dead weight and would like him gone ASAP.
XXIV

 
Posts: 6354
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:06 am

Sure ... and Darius Dribble and Benjialldayeveryday join Clown at a Subway restaurant
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6009
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby lakerzkb8 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:29 am

For his coaching throughout the course of the season? Yes.

For the injury? NO.

I know we're all upset, but you cant say he is responsible injuries thats ridiculous. Did he get Jordan Hill, Nash, and so on and so forth getting injured too? Kobe didnt even look tired out there, he just dropped 47 the other night. He was dedicated to before and after game treatment, I think he managed.

The injury is seriously do to 17 years of wear and tear. Freak injury. I think we should all focus our energy and sending Kobe our best wishes. Now more then ever, we need to show him how much Laker nation appreciates him. Im really upset, but the fact that he walked down that court and took those 2 free throws was inspiring. Thats an iconic moment. Sums up kobe to the T.
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'! - Chick Hearn RIP
User avatar
lakerzkb8

 
Posts: 13904
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:20 pm
Location: Canadaland

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby 432J on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:43 am

not so much for the injury but because he's been the wrong fit for this team since day 1!

yes it's the coach's job to manage minutes but is there any way that kobe would have come out for more than a few minutes during an important game like that? no, that's what makes kobe kobe. the freakish level of hard work and the fact that he's dominating players 15 years younger than he is. no other NBA player has played even nearly as long as kobe and can still dominate like that. it's unheard of

more than likely, this team will get swept in round 1 and i hope after that they fire dan tony. the only thing that i think might keep them from doing that is that they would end up paying 3 head coaches (brown, dan tony, new coach) he should never have been hired in the first place and i have been one of many posters here who feel that way. he's the wrong fit for this team and bringing him back would more than likely bring similar results. he needs to go
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4493
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby Savory Griddles on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:49 am

As others have mentioned, he should be fired, but not because of the injury. He should be fired for being a bad fit. I was willing to give D'Antoni a chance because I felt we as a franchise can't keep running to Phil everytime we need help. But he was a bad fit. If we would have hired Adelman last season instead of Mike Brown, we'd probably be in a much better spot right now.

I don't know what the prognosis is for this type of injury. If its a year, we should amnesty Kobe (he still gets paid) and then set ourselves up for 2014. Use the money saved on the Kobe's massive tax bill to fire D'Antoni and bring in Shaw or even Adelman if we can pry him away from Minny.

THis seems crushing for the moment, but this may be a blessing in disguise. We weren't going to do anything this postseason (if we even made it) anyway. Now we have motivations and potential options we didn't have before to retool.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 8340
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby Rooscooter on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:53 am

Kobe's injury had little to do with MDA. The ones that think that any coach has a say so over Kobe's playing time this last week are deluding themselves. This was planned and Kobe was the lead planner.

MDA is not the kind of coach that wins championships.... his system has never been successful in the post season and he's not a motivator. He would not have ever been hired If I were calling the shots..... but I also wouldn't have hired Phil back either.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 21093
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Coeur D' Alene, ID and Chandler AZ

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby Finwë on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:01 am

Rooscooter wrote:Kobe's injury had little to do with MDA. The ones that think that any coach has a say so over Kobe's playing time this last week are deluding themselves. This was planned and Kobe was the lead planner.

This.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8070
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby LakeShow09 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:09 am

Image



Vitti says "YES!"
User avatar
LakeShow09

 
Posts: 10417
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:20 am

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby Weezy on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:13 am

borri wrote:^^^

Antoni is the COACH. That's his job. To sit Kobe and manage his minutes. Antoni should know better, he played the game! No player will ever bench himself.

Some examples for you:

1. RG3 this year's playoffs. (Shanahan in hot fire for it. Still is.)
2. Pedro Martinez in the infamous Yankee comeback against the Sox. (Sox manger fired after the season.)

You don't ask the player if he's good to go. They'll always say hell yes. You are the freaking coach. Make the call.


This injury reminded me a lot of the RG3 injury game. Kobe should have come out at some point, at least the 2nd time he got hurt and was holding his leg.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 49736
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby snackdaddy on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:14 am

Aren't they still paying millions to Mike Brown? If they fire pringles, would that mean they're paying two coaches no longer with them? And they still need to pay his replacement? Would that make three coaches on the payroll? Are they willing to dish out that much money? Sounds like they're stuck with him.
User avatar
snackdaddy

 
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:23 pm

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby Tobias Funke on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:19 pm

Finwë wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:Kobe's injury had little to do with MDA. The ones that think that any coach has a say so over Kobe's playing time this last week are deluding themselves. This was planned and Kobe was the lead planner.

This.


Finwë wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:Kobe's injury had little to do with MDA. The ones that think that any coach has a say so over Kobe's playing time this last week are deluding themselves. This was planned and Kobe was the lead planner.

This.


This is true, and its exactly why people place alot of the blame on Pringles. I have no problem with a coach giving their star player leeway to play through foul trouble or try to shake off an injury or skip a little rest on the bench, but at some point you are the coach and need to have limits in what you allow.

This is especially true in Kobe's case, since (IMO ofcourse) the issues that people have with his play mostly stem from the fact that his other-worldly heart and desire to win can sometimes cloud his better judgement.

The thing that really makes Pringles look bad is that Kobe was already playing far too many minutes over the course of the season. This wasn't him looking to play full games after a season where he got reasonable rest.....that wouldn't be as bad. This was taking "too much", and piling more on top of it, and Pringles even admitted that even though he tried to stop it, deep inside he didnt really want Kobe to ease up on his desire to do this.

Seeing as how he's the head coach, admitting that is more or less the cowardly way of saying "Even though I didnt have the balls to stop this even if I wanted to, really I was fine with it happening anyways".
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

- 24
User avatar
Tobias Funke

 
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:13 am

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby EQualizer on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:54 pm

How many coaches do we know with the balls to tell Kobe to sit down on the bench AND Kobe would do it?

Probably just one - Phil Jackson.
EQualizer

 
Posts: 2059
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:27 am
Location: Irvine, California--->Atlanta, Georgia

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:32 pm

kobe getting injured has nothing to do with my opinion on whether he should be fired. i already made up my mind a long time ago that it was a horrible hire and he should be gone sooner rather than later.
User avatar
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel
 
Posts: 20124
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:22 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby NewDynasty on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:33 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
Weezy wrote:Yes he should, but to be fair I thought he should be fired the day he was hired.


:man10: Me, too.
NewDynasty

 
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:41 am

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby pound4pound1 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:35 pm

he should...but he wont


as obvious as it is that he's not the right coach for this team, he's got too many excuses under his belt to not be given a full shot
.
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
User avatar
pound4pound1

 
Posts: 6114
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:47 am
Location: 818 LAKER NATION

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby lotus on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:50 pm

Funny how the bottom falls out, again, when jimmy officially takes over. It starts at the top and that mentally flows down to the product. Maybe jimmy and MDA felt Kobe was their Seattle Slew.
lotus

 
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 8:15 am

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby GoldHammish on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:15 pm

The title of the thread and OP are asking two different things.
I do believe D'Antoni should be fired - but because I think he's a bad coach and not fit for this team.
However, I do not think he is to blame for Kobe's injury.
User avatar
GoldHammish

 
Posts: 4971
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby lotus on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:50 pm

GoldHammish wrote:The title of the thread and OP are asking two different things.
I do believe D'Antoni should be fired - but because I think he's a bad coach and not fit for this team.
However, I do not think he is to blame for Kobe's injury.

The connection to being a bad coach for the team and Kobe's injury is the bad decision making since the coach started. I can't criticze his rotations because he didn't get a training camp, but initially trying to make this old team, with two 7 footers, try to be a run and gun team and then allowing Kobe to overplay to reach the playoffs is just boneheaded. Not only did the team not pick up that style of play, but we lose Kobe, probably forever, and likely won't make the playoffs. Talk about rolling snake eyes.
lotus

 
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 8:15 am

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby Finwë on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:55 pm

GoldHammish wrote:The title of the thread and OP are asking two different things.
I do believe D'Antoni should be fired - but because I think he's a bad coach and not fit for this team.
However, I do not think he is to blame for Kobe's injury.

This, though he definitely holds part of the blame IMO. He's not to blame entirely, but part of it should be place on him.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8070
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby GoldHammish on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:58 pm

Finwë wrote:
GoldHammish wrote:The title of the thread and OP are asking two different things.
I do believe D'Antoni should be fired - but because I think he's a bad coach and not fit for this team.
However, I do not think he is to blame for Kobe's injury.

This, though he definitely holds part of the blame IMO. He's not to blame entirely, but part of it should be place on him.

Part of the blame, sure - just about everyone does, from the players, to coaches, to the front office. But there's not way he's responsible for it. To say that D'Antoni is responsible for the injury is completely unfair.
User avatar
GoldHammish

 
Posts: 4971
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby Finwë on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:00 pm

GoldHammish wrote:
Finwë wrote:
GoldHammish wrote:The title of the thread and OP are asking two different things.
I do believe D'Antoni should be fired - but because I think he's a bad coach and not fit for this team.
However, I do not think he is to blame for Kobe's injury.

This, though he definitely holds part of the blame IMO. He's not to blame entirely, but part of it should be place on him.

Part of the blame, sure - just about everyone does, from the players, to coaches, to the front office. But there's not way he's responsible for it. To say that D'Antoni is responsible for the injury is completely unfair.

I agree. However, I do think he needs to go. His coaching this season has been very poor.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8070
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby GoldHammish on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:02 pm

Finwë wrote:
GoldHammish wrote:
Finwë wrote:
GoldHammish wrote:The title of the thread and OP are asking two different things.
I do believe D'Antoni should be fired - but because I think he's a bad coach and not fit for this team.
However, I do not think he is to blame for Kobe's injury.

This, though he definitely holds part of the blame IMO. He's not to blame entirely, but part of it should be place on him.

Part of the blame, sure - just about everyone does, from the players, to coaches, to the front office. But there's not way he's responsible for it. To say that D'Antoni is responsible for the injury is completely unfair.

I agree. However, I do think he needs to go. His coaching this season has been very poor.

This is something that pretty much the entire forum can agree on - but I'm not sure I see it happening, since they'd be on the hook for Brown's salary, D'Antoni's salary, and, assuming the replacement is Phil, whatever Phil ends up demanding/getting.
User avatar
GoldHammish

 
Posts: 4971
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby RushDelivery on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:12 pm

I disagree with some of the posters here in that I believe MDA should receive a larger share of the blame compared to the front office and others involved. It's fairly clear that the extended minutes were wearing Kobe down, setting the stage for injuries to spring up that normally wouldn't have been there with more rest during games.

When Kobe got injured in the 3rd quarter and was in discomfort, it was up to the coach to force his star player to take the time he needed to evaluate the extent of the injuries and cool off a bit before heading back out on the court. The fact that Vitti likely said something to D'antoni only further shows that he needed to at the very bare minimum pull Kobe out for a few in-game minutes.

By letting an injured Kobe play on, MDA basically said he was more than willing to put Kobe in a position to seriously injure himself as long as it meant they won the game. If it didn't happen this game it could have happened against San Antonio or any other game they play this season. As Kobe's coach, MDA controls the minutes, he's supposed to be looking out for the well-being of his players, and he failed to do that not just last night, but for a large portion of the season when it comes to Kobe.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
User avatar
RushDelivery

 
Posts: 4279
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:19 pm
Location: LA

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Doc Brown, LakersN4, Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Rooscooter and 9 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.