Should MDA be fired?

Should MDA be fired?

Yes, he ran Kobe to the ground. Coaches need to control the player's minutes.
81%
No, its not his fault. He was just respecting Kobe's will.
18%

Total votes : 104

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby sharko on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:25 pm

Easy to blame the coach but we had a pretty damn good record after the All star break. Plus I'd imagine the Lakers aren't exactly loaded with extra cash at the moment so they aren't just going to rush and get a new coach.
sharko

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:34 pm

would someone be considered a moron to hire a coach who doesn't like big men in the post and you have a big man who only plays in the post you want to feature as your franchise player?
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby bigdog2013 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Even with phil this team wouldnt have won. We dont have the spacing needed for the big guys to operate. This team needs to get young and need to start refresh instead of these retrend coaches.

What happen to the days when the lakers gave a young coach a chance like when they hired riley when he was working with chick.
bigdog2013

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:26 am

not the right coach moving forward. i say cut your losses and take it on the chin.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby havoc33 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:58 am

sharko wrote:Easy to blame the coach but we had a pretty damn good record after the All star break. Plus I'd imagine the Lakers aren't exactly loaded with extra cash at the moment so they aren't just going to rush and get a new coach.

The record after the Allstar break had very little to do with Antoni, and everthing to do with the players taking matters into their own hands. Antoni was slow to realise that his system did not fit his personell, and stubbornly didn't make the necessary adjustments until it almost was too late. Like many others have pointed out, how can you continue forward with a head coach that does not command the full respect of his players, and even worse, does not believe in the strongest asset of many of his offensive players; their postup game.
havoc33

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:35 am

I'd like a coach with established defensive schemes and who hold players accountable for missed rotations/total lack of effort ...

Kobe and Pau didn't even try to play any D all season long and they were never called out ... of course roster changes are necessary to be able to play above average D in today's NBA too
wcsoldier81

Postby quartzcharm on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:51 am

Simple answer: yes, he should be fired.
quartzcharm

Postby gcclaker on Mon May 06, 2013 11:38 pm

cthroatgtr wrote:Worst Laker coach since Randy Pfund...may even be worst

Randy Pfund...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue May 07, 2013 12:13 am

If he brings in Nate M I don't see why it would hurt for him to stay as a coach, maybe Nate can change his mind on a couple of things...

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue May 07, 2013 1:18 am

bigdog2013 wrote:Even with phil this team wouldnt have won. We dont have the spacing needed for the big guys to operate. This team needs to get young and need to start refresh instead of these retrend coaches.

What happen to the days when the lakers gave a young coach a chance like when they hired riley when he was working with chick.

Now would be a good time to scoop up Shaw. I felt like he needed another couple of years back when he was being considered to replace Phil (even though I wouldve gladly taken him over Brown), but now is about that time.

Id be stunned if a team like the Sixers or Nets dont hire him fast this off-season, but with Phil supposedly being an advisor for the Pistons thats another possibility.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby kingjsun on Tue May 07, 2013 3:50 am

lakersyunowin wrote:not the right coach moving forward. i say cut your losses and take it on the chin.

^ THIS. Dip into that $3B and lets get the right coach for the last push.
Buckle up! This off season is going to be some ride...
kingjsun

Postby lotus on Tue May 07, 2013 6:39 am

Is MDA's brother qualified to be a coach at this level, or is this just a typical case of nepotism?
lotus

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Tue May 07, 2013 8:43 am

Someone should tie up MDA in a dark basement, that way the Lakers would have no choice but to get another coach even if they have to pay rest oi MDA's salary.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby 432J on Thu May 09, 2013 6:49 am

lotus wrote:Is MDA's brother qualified to be a coach at this level, or is this just a typical case of nepotism?

the guy has only had a job when his idiot brother is the HC

he hasn't had any assistant gigs at the NBA level without MDA. apparently he was a high school coach in south carolina for 30 years before joining the suns when his brother took over 9 or so years ago. i'd say there are many better assistant coach options out there but he's not going anywhere as long as MDA is there
432J

Postby lotus on Thu May 09, 2013 7:34 am

432J wrote:
lotus wrote:Is MDA's brother qualified to be a coach at this level, or is this just a typical case of nepotism?

the guy has only had a job when his idiot brother is the HC

he hasn't had any assistant gigs at the NBA level without MDA. apparently he was a high school coach in south carolina for 30 years before joining the suns when his brother took over 9 or so years ago. i'd say there are many better assistant coach options out there but he's not going anywhere as long as MDA is there

Wow, that's a nice hustle. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since jimmy had his brother installed as a scout. It's a family business for both, so jimmy probably understood MDA wanting his less qualified brother on the payroll.

I wonder if the players, especially Kobe, even listen to thhe brother when he gives advise. Haa. Has to he awkward.
lotus

Postby bnr034 on Fri May 10, 2013 1:29 pm

bnr034

Postby Weezy on Fri May 10, 2013 4:19 pm

Man I love Phil, 'Antoni is livid as usual with his stereotypical coach screaming and yelling and Phil just tells him "what the f**** wrong with you, go sit down". :man10: How many coaches can get away with that other than Phil?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Fri May 10, 2013 5:03 pm

No one. Phil is one and only. :bow:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFan1235 on Fri May 10, 2013 6:28 pm

Anyone who thinks D'antoni won't be our coach when training camp begins, is living in denial.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby karacha on Fri May 10, 2013 7:31 pm

I think at this point we all know he is going to be our coach. Except if Dwight somehow gets him fired. Which is unlikely.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat May 11, 2013 9:55 am

I'd be fine actually if he was the coach AND we got Gentry AND we got McMillan.

That's three Head Coaches on staff. One who got the Suns to the Conference Finals and one who has a defensive reputation and has worked with MDA before.

We need McMillan for me to be at all comfortable with MDA next season. He can help reel in the "offensive" focus and we can have someone who at least knows what he's talking about defensively. I know, I know "when you adjust for pace!!!", but guess what? Part of defense is slowing the tempo to your liking. So the guy has chops on that end. Not to mention he coached the defensive side for Team USA and they knew their business.

He might be the compromise that I'd accept.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby snackdaddy on Mon May 13, 2013 7:38 pm

Well, every time we built a championship team we had some down years till we could build another one. By that I mean not being championship material. We still had playoff teams most of the time.

I have a feeling we'll be a playoff team, but not championship material. Dantoni is the worst possible coach for this team and he ain't going nowhere. I doubt they wanna be paying Brown, Dantoni and a new coach all at the same time.

They'll probably take their lumps for a couple years and try to build another championship post Kobe. They'll have another coach by then.

Sad thing is, the best possible coach for this team is Phil Jackson. They coulda had him already. But he won't be coaching the Lakers any more. So I hope whoever it is doesn't bring a system that does not fit the team like the one they have now.
snackdaddy

Postby MC on Tue May 14, 2013 2:45 am

The guy shouldn't have been hired in the first place so ya he should be fired.

It always felt like once the Lakers got rolling a bit they were playing in spite of MDA rather than for MDA as a cohesive unit..... You never really had a sense that he had the reigns and control of the ship. That has all the warning signs, the only thing really protecting him IMO is the mess financially that has a huge sum of money tied up in two mistakes...Brown and MDA. If MDA is here you got to think it will be on a short leash.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby Chillbongo on Tue May 14, 2013 3:10 pm

MC wrote:The guy shouldn't have been hired in the first place so ya he should be fired.

It always felt like once the Lakers got rolling a bit they were playing in spite of MDA rather than for MDA as a cohesive unit..... You never really had a sense that he had the reigns and control of the ship. That has all the warning signs, the only thing really protecting him IMO is the mess financially that has a huge sum of money tied up in two mistakes...Brown and MDA. If MDA is here you got to think it will be on a short leash.

Do we have to start another season 1-12 to get him fired? Serious question.
Chillbongo

Postby Chillbongo on Tue May 14, 2013 3:14 pm

On another note, the money thing is hilarious. We like to preach that here a lot, but it's complete BS IMO, and is FO fodder to shield behind the truth that MDA was a piss-poor decision to begin with.

If money was an issue, we'd do EVERYTHING in our power, to STOP from paying $74M in tax this season. We knew that going into this season our tax bill WOULD BE this large.

Coaches DON'T COUNT against luxury tax so firing another coach and finally choosing the RIGHT one would cost PENNIES in comparison to what we're paying now, and save us LESS in the LONG RUN.
Chillbongo

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion