Should MDA be fired?

Should MDA be fired?

Yes, he ran Kobe to the ground. Coaches need to control the player's minutes.
81%
No, its not his fault. He was just respecting Kobe's will.
18%

Total votes : 104

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby 7secondmess on Fri May 17, 2013 12:19 pm

432J wrote:
lotus wrote:Is MDA's brother qualified to be a coach at this level, or is this just a typical case of nepotism?

the guy has only had a job when his idiot brother is the HC

he hasn't had any assistant gigs at the NBA level without MDA. apparently he was a high school coach in south carolina for 30 years before joining the suns when his brother took over 9 or so years ago. i'd say there are many better assistant coach options out there but he's not going anywhere as long as MDA is there

Yep and when he arrived Bickerstaff and Jordan had to sit behind the bench. Beware of what happens when D'Antoni has a training camp. His Knick teams always came out of them and lost a lot for the first fifteen or so games. Usually there would be an easy part of the schedule and he would shorten his rotation and play his stars or vets 40 plus minutes to win a few based on their moxy. The guy sucks.
7secondmess

Postby JGC on Fri May 17, 2013 3:52 pm

7secondmess wrote:
432J wrote:
lotus wrote:Is MDA's brother qualified to be a coach at this level, or is this just a typical case of nepotism?

he hasn't had any assistant gigs at the NBA level without MDA. apparently he was a high school coach in south carolina for 30 years before joining the suns when his brother took over 9 or so years ago. i'd say there are many better assistant coach options out there but he's not going anywhere as long as MDA is there

Yep and when he arrived Bickerstaff and Jordan had to sit behind the bench. Beware of what happens when D'Antoni has a training camp. His Knick teams always came out of them and lost a lot for the first fifteen or so games. Usually there would be an easy part of the schedule and he would shorten his rotation and play his stars or vets 40 plus minutes to win a few based on their moxy. The guy sucks.

I'm not going to defend D'Antoni because I'm not a fan of his but ... he wasn't even allowed to bring in his own assistant coaches. He got to bring in a few guys, but typically, when you run with a new coach, he's given the ability to hand pick his coaching staff. MDA wasn't given that.

Doesn't make me like me any more but, I think that would be a major obstacle to having success as a coach.
JGC

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat May 18, 2013 11:02 am

I think McMillian is going to end up taking a head coaching position. He's being interviewed by the 76ers and the is the leading candidate to take over the Pistons job.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Finwë on Sat May 18, 2013 3:42 pm

JGC wrote:
7secondmess wrote:
432J wrote:

I'm not going to defend D'Antoni because I'm not a fan of his but ... he wasn't even allowed to bring in his own assistant coaches. He got to bring in a few guys, but typically, when you run with a new coach, he's given the ability to hand pick his coaching staff. MDA wasn't given that.

Doesn't make me like me any more but, I think that would be a major obstacle to having success as a coach.

I thought he chose to keep the current staff and only brought his brother with him... I didn't know he wanted some other guys and the FO said he couldn't or something..
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby JGC on Sun May 19, 2013 7:35 am

Finwë wrote:
JGC wrote:
7secondmess wrote:
432J wrote:the guy has only had a job when his idiot brother is the HC

I thought he chose to keep the current staff and only brought his brother with him... I didn't know he wanted some other guys and the FO said he couldn't or something..

Well, I hadn't heard that. I had only heard/read that D'Antoni wasn't allowed to bring in his own coaching staff. I can only guess this is because they had already committed so many dollars already to the staff by this time, but, not sure why that happened.

I mean, have you ever seen a new coach brought in, mid-season, along with an entirely new coaching staff as well? I'm not sure if I've ever seen that. Not saying it hasn't happened, just saying, I can't recall a time when it has and even if it has happened I think it's fair to say it's pretty rare. As for why? Probably because a lot of guys are already hired by the time the season starts so it doesn't make sense to fire a bunch of guys to hire coaches that haven't found a job yet.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/36656/2012-13-lakers-report-card-coaching-staff-and-front-office
However, the deck was stacked against him this season from the ridiculous amount of injuries his team experienced, to not having a training camp, to not being able to pick his own coaching staff.
JGC

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun May 19, 2013 10:13 am

More wasted TIME and MONEY and CHAMPIONSHIP possibility to let this "guy" bring in his own coaches. This is like a nightmare we never wake up from. Brown hired....fired.....Phil rejected.....Go Go Go is the coach with no D I have seen enough to know this. Who has Jimmy's cell....so he can be clued in?
LTLakerFan

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun May 19, 2013 2:50 pm

Offensive and defensive efficiency ratings for the 4 remaining teams in the playoffs:

O: 1, 6, 17, 18
D: 1, 2, 3, 7

This is why he not only deserves to get fired, but NEEDS to get fired.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Mon May 20, 2013 4:09 pm

Hoping (and waiting) for an Indiana/Memphis snoozefest final.

I think these Conference finals still show that Centers will always have a place in the Playoffs. The only team getting by (Miami) can't or doesn't use it because their defense is predicated on speed; the other teams have one (Indy) or two (Memphis/SAS) front court men to slow the game down and clog the paint up.

It's shown me that you don't need a complete drastic overhaul of youthful players, but just to slightly re-tool each year getting younger over time to compete. Honestly, I really thought teams like GSW, OKC, Clippers and any other young run-and-gun teams were going to take over, but alas, it still seems that Defense wins championships.
charvin

Postby Doc Brown on Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 am

LA Lakers
Kevin Ding
+ Trust
If not for the Heat's imposing presence, Phil might be Lakers coach now. He told @dpshow the prospect of losing ...
to the Heat in the 2013 NBA Finals was a factor in that two-day November stretch when he mulled replacing Mike Brown -- before the Lakers surprised Jackson by signing Mike D'Antoni before Jackson could decide.

"I felt like they (Kobe & Co.) were schooled well enough in the offensive system that I ran so that they could really play, step right in and play. And I felt it would be pretty easy for Nash and for Howard to learn the system. It's an easy system to learn. But I never had a feeling like, 'This is the right thing to do. It must be done.'

"And I told Jeanie at one point when I went in to talk to her about it, 'I think maybe we can get out of the Western Conference; we're a good enough team. That's a talented enough team. But boy, I'd sure hate to lose in the Finals again. That's something I have to start thinking about -- how one has to beat Miami.' "

In response to Dan Patrick's direct question, "Were out offered the Lakers' job?" Jackson said: "That would be yes to the question, because it was proposed to me without any hesitation. But I was not being sold on the job. They wanted to hear me out; I wanted to hear them out as to why they were doing what they were doing and what their rationale was. I felt there wasn't a whole lot of subterfuge, any acting or any kind of pretense behind it, so I felt they were pretty honest with me."

Jackson said he didn't think D'Antoni would be hired given he'd just had knee-replacement surgery
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Tue May 21, 2013 9:42 am

Some league observers, however, remain convinced that Jackson's flirtations with teams are largely aimed at convincing Lakers lead basketball decision maker Jim Buss to cede his organizational power to sister Jeanie ... which would theoretically enable Jeanie Buss to bring her fiance Phil back to Lakerland as L.A.'s next front-office chief. ESPN.com
Read more at http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#VhKH5KtPQrzRgdIf.99
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue May 21, 2013 9:46 am

2 posts up ^^ Uggghhh!!.... an infamous weekend in the history of the Lakers potentially for its ramifications :bang:
LTLakerFan

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue May 21, 2013 9:58 am

Injuries took away our any shot we had at getting to the Finals. In addition to that, after seeing this roster, the pieces just didn't fit, IMO. Could Phil could have gotten us further in the PO's? Maybe. However, we still our a top heavy team with no depth; and our best player coming back from a major surgery.

On topic, it seems like this whole Phil/Jeanie/Jim situation is going to be looming for awhile. It may end up costing us Dwight, unfortunately. I believe Dwight wants Phil, IMO. I just don't see Jim firing MDA right now. So much drama...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue May 21, 2013 10:09 am

If Im Jim, Id give Phil a seat at the table as an advisor, while giving him some sort of title that sounds fancy. He's obviously cautious of a Jeanie-Phil takeover, but Id give them a chance to do what they claim they want to do, which is help lead this team back to the top. If they try to screw him over and he cuts ties, no one can call him unreasonable for not wanting to be overthrown.

Despite their differences, its not like he's allowing bums in. Jeanie is his sister and by all accounts is really good at what she does, and Phil is one of the greatest basketball minds of all time.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby The Rock on Tue May 21, 2013 10:44 am

So if we fired MDA who we gonna replace him with? Stan and Phil aren't options anymore.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 21, 2013 10:46 am

Tobias Funke wrote:If Im Jim, Id give Phil a seat at the table as an advisor, while giving him some sort of title that sounds fancy. He's obviously cautious of a Jeanie-Phil takeover, but Id give them a chance to do what they claim they want to do, which is help lead this team back to the top. If they try to screw him over and he cuts ties, no one can call him unreasonable for not wanting to be overthrown.

Despite their differences, its not like he's allowing bums in. Jeanie is his sister and by all accounts is really good at what she does, and Phil is one of the greatest basketball minds of all time.

If he takes the title of President and gives Phil the title of Vice President, he still holds all the power. He is still the primary decision maker with the power to veto and to make decisions above and beyond those of Phil and Mitch. He still has the trump card in the office and he gets to maintain his ego by still being Jackson's boss.

Weezy and I have been advocating this for months now. Why not? Like you said, if it doesn't work out he has the ability to kick out Jackson still. Phil gets what he wants, Jim still gets to be the boss, the fans get what we want, Dwight and Kobe get Phil, Nash gets to win, and Pau probably has a better chance at staying. It satisfies pretty much all of the most important players.

Why the hell not?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue May 21, 2013 10:49 am

When is at a table or in a room he wants to be the biggest voice in the room...so when he, Mitch and Jim are sitting down to make a decision and they go by a vote system you guys really think Phil would be ok with not having the final say and getting outvoted 2-1? Get real

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Tue May 21, 2013 11:05 am

I think having Phil's basketball mind on the team with Mitch and Jim would be great, but I also don't think it's realistic. I think it shouldn't be that crazy because Phil is old (67 to Jim's 53), so really how long could Phil even do the job anyway? Phil could teach Jim a lot, then retire again after a while. The more and more we hear from behind the scenes, the more we hear Phil wants decision making power, and has a huge ego, and I do not think there is any way in reality for Phil and Jim to work together without clashing and fighting. I also keep reading from guys that know Phil like Lazenby, that Phil can be a real jerk with how he goes about things, and we know this to be true, I think whatever it is that keeps Phil and Jim from getting along is too big to have them run the Lakers together, which is really too bad.

Phil wants to do things his way, Jim wants to do things his way, I don't see them being the same way, it would either be Jim running things, or Phil and Jeanie. I don't see Jim giving up the team his father left to him, even if it's to smarter basketball minds, because why should he? I think he believes he can succeed doing it his way and will keep trying until he does, no matter how long it takes. I also don't think he wants to take a lot of crap from Phil while doing it, or have fans give Phil all the credit while saying Jim is just there not doing much, or getting out of how own way, stuff like that.

All that said I still fire 'Antoni yesterday, he should never have been hired in the first place and IMO you can throw a dart at a list of available coaches and hit a better one almost every time. I've probably said it 100 times, but I think 'Antoni is a clown and a joke of a coach.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue May 21, 2013 11:05 am

Agreed Real.

People have agents and managers that give them advise on matters, but in the end they still have the final say. Situation would be the same with Jim if he brought in Phil. Right now all he really has is Mitch and a bunch of yes men, and seems like Mitch might fall into that category as well.

Jim himself I think said it would be him, Mitch and Dr Buss. Well now that the Doc is gone, he can slide over to his father's role, and have Mitch and Phil be the other two guys at the table. If Phil and Jeanie want to be uncooperative and greedy then no one will blame Jim for kicking them to the curb at all.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 21, 2013 11:08 am

The Rock wrote:When is at a table or in a room he wants to be the biggest voice in the room...so when he, Mitch and Jim are sitting down to make a decision and they go by a vote system you guys really think Phil would be ok with not having the final say and getting outvoted 2-1? Get real

I'm fine with my stance on reality I don't need a lecture from you.

If Phil Jackson wants a role in the front office that's the only role available. He will not be President of the company unless Jim Buss dies some time before Phil does. He will not coach the team any more. He won't be hired on as a special consultant unless we move forward with his people.

He wants a management position? Well that's what you get from a management position: a boss. Whether he would be okay with it or not is irrelevant considering he will find that opposition in EVERY OTHER city. No team will give him 100% control of their team. No one. The owner of the team is the only one with that capability. So unless he wants to put in a bid to own the Lakers. Or the Bobcats. Or the Pistons. He'll have a boss and he'll have someone to answer to.

In reality none of this is likely to be true. What's far more likely is the Lakers move forward with D'Antoni going into next season. They swallow a bad year. They try to rebuild in 2014 with or without Howard.

Don't lecture me on realty when you're the one who was just saying we ought to target Van Gundy just hours ago. What makes that thought any more or less realistic than mine?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 21, 2013 11:12 am

Weezy wrote:I think having Phil's basketball mind on the team with Mitch and Jim would be great, but I also don't think it's realistic. I think it shouldn't be that crazy because Phil is old (67 to Jim's 53), so really how long could Phil even do the job anyway? Phil could teach Jim a lot, then retire again after a while. The more and more we hear from behind the scenes, the more we hear Phil wants decision making power, and has a huge ego, and I do not think there is any way in reality for Phil and Jim to work together without clashing and fighting. I also keep reading from guys that know Phil like Lazenby, that Phil can be a real jerk with how he goes about things, and we know this to be true, I think whatever it is that keeps Phil and Jim from getting along is too big to have them run the Lakers together, which is really too bad.

Phil wants to do things his way, Jim wants to do things his way, I don't see them being the same way, it would either be Jim running things, or Phil and Jeanie. I don't see Jim giving up the team his father left to him, even if it's to smarter basketball minds, because why should he? I think he believes he can succeed doing it his way and will keep trying until he does, no matter how long it takes. I also don't think he wants to take a lot of crap from Phil while doing it, or have fans give Phil all the credit while saying Jim is just there not doing much, or getting out of how own way, stuff like that.

I never really said it was realistic, but it's the RIGHT thing to do. We've agreed on that.

I don't believe that the two CAN'T operate together, I just think they won't. Even though everyone in the world can see that this is the right move to make, I doubt that they do it. I doubt they go through with it. And I don't blame either party necessarily. In fact, if I were to reluctantly point a finger it would probably be at Phil first because like you said he's hard to work with. I don't blame Jim Buss for wanting to do things his way and show that he can be a successful owner like his father. Jim has put in at least a decade of work at this position and I don't see any reason that he SHOULDN'T therefore feel qualified. I think in an ideal world both he and Phil would stop being macho men and stop letting their pride affect them.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue May 21, 2013 11:14 am

therealdeal wrote:
The Rock wrote:When is at a table or in a room he wants to be the biggest voice in the room...so when he, Mitch and Jim are sitting down to make a decision and they go by a vote system you guys really think Phil would be ok with not having the final say and getting outvoted 2-1? Get real

I'm fine with my stance on reality I don't need a lecture from you.

If Phil Jackson wants a role in the front office that's the only role available. He will not be President of the company unless Jim Buss dies some time before Phil does. He will not coach the team any more. He won't be hired on as a special consultant unless we move forward with his people.

He wants a management position? Well that's what you get from a management position: a boss. Whether he would be okay with it or not is irrelevant considering he will find that opposition in EVERY OTHER city. No team will give him 100% control of their team. No one. The owner of the team is the only one with that capability. So unless he wants to put in a bid to own the Lakers. Or the Bobcats. Or the Pistons. He'll have a boss and he'll have someone to answer to.

In reality none of this is likely to be true. What's far more likely is the Lakers move forward with D'Antoni going into next season. They swallow a bad year. They try to rebuild in 2014 with or without Howard.

Don't lecture me on realty when you're the one who was just saying we ought to target Van Gundy just hours ago. What makes that thought any more or less realistic than mine?

Because we're dealing with Phil Jackson he wants to be the biggest voice wherever he is...So what if I said Stan? It was based on the belief that he and Dwight are on good terms..At the end of the day I'm for doing whatever moves necessary to keep Dwight here

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Tue May 21, 2013 11:23 am

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:I think having Phil's basketball mind on the team with Mitch and Jim would be great, but I also don't think it's realistic. I think it shouldn't be that crazy because Phil is old (67 to Jim's 53), so really how long could Phil even do the job anyway? Phil could teach Jim a lot, then retire again after a while. The more and more we hear from behind the scenes, the more we hear Phil wants decision making power, and has a huge ego, and I do not think there is any way in reality for Phil and Jim to work together without clashing and fighting. I also keep reading from guys that know Phil like Lazenby, that Phil can be a real jerk with how he goes about things, and we know this to be true, I think whatever it is that keeps Phil and Jim from getting along is too big to have them run the Lakers together, which is really too bad.

I never really said it was realistic, but it's the RIGHT thing to do. We've agreed on that.

I don't believe that the two CAN'T operate together, I just think they won't. Even though everyone in the world can see that this is the right move to make, I doubt that they do it. I doubt they go through with it. And I don't blame either party necessarily. In fact, if I were to reluctantly point a finger it would probably be at Phil first because like you said he's hard to work with. I don't blame Jim Buss for wanting to do things his way and show that he can be a successful owner like his father. Jim has put in at least a decade of work at this position and I don't see any reason that he SHOULDN'T therefore feel qualified. I think in an ideal world both he and Phil would stop being macho men and stop letting their pride affect them.

I agree completely, I'd love to see it, just especially after recent Phil interviews and comments from people who know him, I sadly think we never will. I think it's on both Jim and Phil, neither will be the bigger man in this in order to work together, seems they both want power. And that's a damn shame because I think in a perfect world if they worked together they could lead the Lakers to more glory. Jim and Jeanie running the franchise from the top while getting along, Phil and Mitch making basketball decisions, Shaw coming in to coach under Phil's direction, I think it would be a perfect scenario, would put the franchise right and on track for years.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue May 21, 2013 11:42 am

Again, I find Roland Lazenby's tweets the most informative in all this. You can go back about a week for some great stuff, but here's just from today

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 1h
Lakers fans expect really big things, but the team isn't in position to do big things. It's stuck in a transitional period.

One thing Jim Buss did appear to inherit from his dad was an iron will. Dr. Buss wore it wisely and well. Jim not so much.

The idea of losing to Miami gave Phil Jackson reason for pause when he was thinking about coaching the Lakers again. Dude hates to lose.

You want to understand Phil have to understand how much he hates losing. Especially in a championship series. That's why the 08 loss hurt so

With 11 rings Phil owns e'rbody in the league. Riley too. No incentive to go back+give 'em a chance to get even. Phil loves gloating so much

Phil's doing the greatest hook slide in the game's history over his MJ/Kobe remarks. Too bad he couldn't backpeddle that quickly as a player

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 50m
Phil: "Shaq was really hard-headed." When asked about which superstar was toughest when it came to getting in their ear.

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 46m
Phil: "You have to play into Dwight Howard." ... Get him back to the center he was going to be.

Phil: It's logical that Howard will leave. Kobe will come back and "he's gonna be on fire." But the achilles will make his game different.

Phil: Lakers "can't run because of the age and impossibility of speed." Must be in a half-court situation.

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 43m
Phil says for the thousandth time he's done coaching. As far as GM, he pointed out that Reinsdorf told him you can't have a friend as GM

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 36m
Phil doing these interviews might help bridge the span between Jeanie+Jim Buss. Unless Phil slips up+says the impolitic, as he is known to

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 35m
It will be interesting to see if Jim Buss is as much of a realist as his old man. Dr. Jerry swallowed huge pride to bring Phil back in 05

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 34m
The best way forward for the Lakers is to hold onto Howard. Probably the only way to do that is to bring Phil into management/coaching.

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 33m
These interviews Phil's doing may be his entrance exam to rejoining the Lakers in some capacity. Hope he doesn't flunk 'em.

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 29m
Jim Buss is hardly ever around the Lakers. If Phil were coming back, he'd have to find ways to make bro Jim comfy. #notinhisnature

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 26m
I would say Phil would pray to keep Mitch as GM and fill a role as exec vp himself, leaving plenty of room for Jim to be whatevah he wants

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 26m
Without Mitch as GM, Phil and Jim Buss might have to interact on a daily basis. #recipefordisaster

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 24m
An awful lot of people in the NBA fit their egos into their jockstraps. That may be at the core of the disconnect between Phil and Jim Buss.

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 23m
The hard part is that Jim Buss has encountered some rough times in running the team. Makes it especially tough to capitulate to lil sis.

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 16m
It's plausible that Jim Buss could mature into the kind of owner his father was. In fact, he's shown some signs of it. It'll take time.

IMO a lot of really interesting stuff in there, Lazenby doesn't pull any punches.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue May 21, 2013 11:55 am

Weezy wrote:Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 16m
It's plausible that Jim Buss could mature into the kind of owner his father was. In fact, he's shown some signs of it. It'll take time.

I could think of a nice first step.
Chillbongo

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue May 21, 2013 11:56 am

Weezy wrote:Lazenby doesn't pull any punches.

Yep. He pretty much called out Phil for unfairly ripping Kobe in the MJ/KB comparison in an effort to drum up book sales.

Tobias Funke

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion