Should MDA be fired?

Should MDA be fired?

Yes, he ran Kobe to the ground. Coaches need to control the player's minutes.
81%
No, its not his fault. He was just respecting Kobe's will.
18%

Total votes : 104

Re: Should MDA be fired?

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 21, 2013 12:34 pm

The Rock wrote:Because we're dealing with Phil Jackson he wants to be the biggest voice wherever he is...So what if I said Stan? It was based on the belief that he and Dwight are on good terms..At the end of the day I'm for doing whatever moves necessary to keep Dwight here

Then your definition of reality is different than mine. Good day.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 21, 2013 12:38 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:
Weezy wrote:Lazenby doesn't pull any punches.

Yep. He pretty much called out Phil for unfairly ripping Kobe in the MJ/KB comparison in an effort to drum up book sales.

I can't imagine that just the 3 of us and Lazenby are thinking about this Phil coming back into the FO thing. Jim HAS to see this.

He HAS to know that if he did this, HIS (Jim's) legacy would start going in the right direction. Fans would give him a TON of credit at this point. He'd still be the punching bag, but he'd take a lot less hits.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue May 21, 2013 2:07 pm

Yep, alot of the blame would actually spread to Phil when anything goes wrong just because of Phil's reputation as being a strong personality, and Jimmy would get tons of credit for being able to accept Phil back, just like his father got when he brought Phil back the second time.

The "problem" for the Lakers in people's mind is more than just the coach and the older players and contracts and cap situation. A big part of it is that people view the organization as being dysfunctional and think Jim is clueless, and they just highlighted that when they passed on Phil for Pringles.

Jim isn't clueless, but he simply has to make a move here. You hire Phil to the front office and reconnect with Jeanie and all of a sudden you have an organization thats loaded in the front office. Jim was groomed by his father, Jeanie is sharp and savvy, Mitch has his magic wand and freaking Phil Jackson. Then you have a coach that's good for Dwight, good for Kobe, and cap space in a year (Im willing to bet Nash will retire next year too).

That, along with the city of LA and the extra $30M is too much to walk away from.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Sounds so easy, right? :man10:

I just am finding it more difficult to imagine that Jim (and Phil and Jeanie) CAN'T see this. There's no way they can't read the tea leaves here and see that the best situation is cooperation. Suck it up dammit.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue May 21, 2013 2:28 pm

Yep, whether they like it or not, their rift is casting a dark light on the franchise right now, and with the great Doctor no longer there, Im not really sure they have a choice but to make peace if things are gonna turn around.

Who knows though. Money and power changes things. Changes people.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Lakerjones on Tue May 21, 2013 4:03 pm

^^ I couldn't agree more with you guys, and you know I've been saying so for a long while as well. Bring in Phil, patch up the hurt feelings, ensure that Dwight returns, ensure that we don't have any more useless coaching hires. Jim still gets to be owner and call the shots, Phil makes sure as VP that we are making informed basketball decisions, Mitch stays on as the great GM he has become. That's a brain trust I can get behind.

And like realdeal said: it just makes sense. It's a simple solution and as Tobias said, it's a way to bring this franchise some good energy and relevance once again. To me and to us it's a no brainer. But like Weezy and realdeal said, it's not going to be EASY even though it makes so much sense.

It's going to take a real change in attitude from Jim Buss to make it happen.

But it's needed. Otherwise I can see us really headed for some mediocrity at the very least. At worst they might lose their new franchise play over this and be stuck without having someone to build around or any good architect to do the building. Bringing Phil back gives us some instant credibility again.

Dwight wants this to happen, Phil and Jeannie want it to happen, and the fan base wants it to happen. There's really nothing to lose at this point. You don't often get the chance for a Do Over, and the FO has that possibility right now to make up for their gaffe last season with the D' Antoni hire by bringing on Phil as VP.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Alleyhoops on Tue May 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Well, you decide. It's all very simple. If you want to acquire the right pieces over the following 3 years to play his style of exciting, high octane b-ball, then that's a legitimate decision. If you want to put a team on the floor that focuses on equal parts defense and offense and competes for championships, that's another legitimate direction. One thing is clear, a Mike D'Antoni team will never truly compete for a title in this league. It's that simple of a decision.
Alleyhoops

Postby Lakerjones on Tue May 21, 2013 5:01 pm

Alleyhoops wrote:Well, you decide. It's all very simple. If you want to acquire the right pieces over the following 3 years to play his style of exciting, high octane b-ball, then that's a legitimate decision. If you want to put a team on the floor that focuses on equal parts defense and offense and competes for championships, that's another legitimate direction. One thing is clear, a Mike D'Antoni team will never truly compete for a title in this league. It's that simple of a decision.

^^ +1!
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed May 22, 2013 5:57 pm

@janiscarr: D'Antoni turns down opportunity to assist w/Team USA. Gives him more time to coach the Lakers. Isn't that nice? http://t.co/EwTMNZBFNk

This made me laugh, especially the "isn't that nice?". It comes across as sarcastic and funny to me, not sure that's now she wrote it but that's how I took it. If she did mean it that way it's funny that even LA's sportswriters enjoy poking fun at the 'Antoni situation and what a joke it is. You just know after that last line she's expecting a bunch of replies from Lakers fans saying how not nice it is.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed May 22, 2013 6:43 pm

Hands up.... if anyone here thinks that Dan Tony is a "poster boy", based on his few "semi"-successful years riding on Nash's coat tails, for "The Peter Principle"? This is what our front office thought was a good idea? In spite of his reputation of "couldn't care effing less" about the defensive side of the game?
LTLakerFan

Postby purp n gold on Thu May 23, 2013 12:08 am

Oh son of a B.

I was at work, saw an alert on my phone from the Bleacher Report app saying "Mike D'Antoni will not return..." I didn't get to check it immediately, but I was flipping out for about an hour thinking that MDA might have been fired.

Eventually it lead me to the report titled "Mike D'Antoni will not return as assistant to Team USA"

:bang:
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat May 25, 2013 9:08 am

Another morning. Another bring me down bummer to realize this is who our coach is going to be next year again and it costing us an improved Dwight Howard after a summer of getting back to who he is..... flaws and personality notwithstanding. Defensive beast. Better offense next year. :bang:
LTLakerFan

Postby sina on Sat May 25, 2013 10:40 am

Lakers have to make use of their relationship with legend coach Phil by creating a new post for him: Mentor of head coach and allow him to have some influence on roster.

Both Heat and Pacers make great use of their legend GM Pat Riley and Larry Bird: they are not only GMs but also mentors of the young head coaches Spoelstra and Vogel IMO.

We all know the importance of a good head coach. If we couldn't find one, why don't we let the greatest coach ever in NBA history to mentor a young coach like Shaw for us?
sina

Postby sina on Sat May 25, 2013 10:50 am

Mitch is a great GM in acquiring players but he isn't the type of GM Riley and Bird are. Lakers should bring back Phil to mentor a young coach and give us direction that how will we play and what kind of players we need.
sina

Postby JGC on Sat May 25, 2013 12:59 pm

sina wrote:Mitch is a great GM in acquiring players but he isn't the type of GM Riley and Bird are. Lakers should bring back Phil to mentor a young coach and give us direction that how will we play and what kind of players we need.

What are you talking about? We already did that. And then we got rid of them/him.
JGC

Postby lakersin4 on Sun May 26, 2013 10:18 am

purp n gold wrote:Oh son of a B.

I was at work, saw an alert on my phone from the Bleacher Report app saying "Mike D'Antoni will not return..." I didn't get to check it immediately, but I was flipping out for about an hour thinking that MDA might have been fired.

Eventually it lead me to the report titled "Mike D'Antoni will not return as assistant to Team USA"

:bang:

:man10: :man10: :man10:
lakersin4

Postby bigdog2013 on Sun May 26, 2013 2:38 pm

Phil isnt coming back and that was in the past. Lakers fan need to let that go. Give Mike another year with a full training camp to see what he can do.
bigdog2013

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue May 28, 2013 12:19 am

[quoteAdrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 8h
With Clifford out of running in Milwaukee, the Bucks search will focus on Larry Drew and Kelvin Sampson. Each has 2nd interviews this week.][/quote]

So, apparently, according Woj; the Bucks will focus on these two candidates. Nate McMillian interviewed for this position and is obviously out of the running. So, that means, he is still a candidate for the Detroit job. Maurice Cheeks also interviewed for the position. From what I've heard, Dumars can go either way. According to Broussard, the Clippers are high on Nate.

Hopefully, Detroit hires another coach, and the Clips hire B. Scott. Then I think the chances increase greatly we add Nate to our staff as an assistant, IMO.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue May 28, 2013 8:12 am

bigdog2013 wrote:Phil isnt coming back and that was in the past. Lakers fan need to let that go. Give Mike another year with a full training camp to see what he can do.

I know this is just being realistic, but we have seen "what he can do" over the years even with that run of several with his best "wet dream" roster. Not only that but his personality and handling and alienating of key players with his flippant, shoot from the hip style makes things even worse. And if losing way too often this coming year he will continue to run his best players into the ground. What does HE have to lose at that point? Front office's fault, not yours but the seeing what he can do approach by the team is like doubling down on your losses gambling to get your money back.

Bleep us that we are in this lose lose situation now. I can no longer even root for this tool to succeed for the good of the team as it will never be good enough after seeing how he operates up close and personal, injuries or not.
LTLakerFan

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion