Should I be surprised A Martinez called for MDA's firing?

Re: Should I be surprised A Martinez called for MDA's firing?

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:57 pm

OX1947 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
OX1947 wrote:If Nash were healthy and Howard wasnt so worried about the 15 illigitmate children he has with Kobe being to mean to him, it could have worked.

Somewhere we lost the story of where Kobe and Dwight had 15 illegitimate children...

And they're all mean to Dwight.

No wonder he left.

Amazing what a missing comma can do to communication. haha

:man9:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Alleyhoops on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:39 pm

A Mike D'Antoni coached team will never win a title, so what is he nurturing here -- simply an entertaining brand of basketball? That's for other franchises, not the Lakers. We play for championships, not simply to provide entertainment.
Alleyhoops

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:40 pm

Alleyhoops wrote:A Mike D'Antoni coached team will never win a title, so what is he nurturing here -- simply an entertaining brand of basketball? That's for other franchises, not the Lakers. We play for championships, not simply to provide entertainment.

it's not even entertaining anymore
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:44 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
Alleyhoops wrote:A Mike D'Antoni coached team will never win a title, so what is he nurturing here -- simply an entertaining brand of basketball? That's for other franchises, not the Lakers. We play for championships, not simply to provide entertainment.

it's not even entertaining anymore

At this point, what good is it firing him and hiring a better coach? That'd just mean more likelihood to win games and we don't want that now.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:46 pm

Your title, without the period after "A.", makes me think that 'Antoni has a long standing feud with the family Martinez. "Should I be surprised a Martinez called for 'Antoni's firing?", kinda like, I don't know, "will there ever be another Kennedy in the White House?".
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby D.B. Cooper on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:08 pm

kidhell wrote:It's time that Jim Buss puts personal issues aside and offers the GM spot to Phil Jackson (…thanks Mitch, but it's time to go now) and recruits a Byron Scott, Jeff Van Gunde (who loves Kobe), Kurt Rambis or other coaches who can be an extension of Phil's style and belief system. The team of players very respectfully stuck with the MDA situation throughout all of this but it's becoming pretty clear that MDA has lost the team at this point. You can certainly gather that from Pau's comments. And I'm sure Kendall Marshall, Jordan Hill, and Chris Kaman are not fans either. …in fact, who is?

Jim needs to be the owner, Phil needs to be the President and keep Mitch as the GM. Jeannie and Tragic would return to their courtside seats.
D.B. Cooper

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:33 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
OX1947 wrote:If Nash were healthy and Howard wasnt so worried about the 15 illigitmate children he has with Kobe being to mean to him, it could have worked.

Somewhere we lost the story of where Kobe and Dwight had 15 illegitimate children...

And they're all mean to Dwight.

No wonder he left.

:man10:

Reminds me of this:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/emmyf/25-biggest-comma-fails

:man10:

Weezy wrote:Your title, without the period after "A.", makes me think that 'Antoni has a long standing feud with the family Martinez. "Should I be surprised a Martinez called for 'Antoni's firing?", kinda like, I don't know, "will there ever be another Kennedy in the White House?".

When the Lakers are so bad, it is more eventful to talk about punctuation.
Wait, I think I meant to say it this way instead....
When the Lakers are so bad, is it more eventful to talk about punctuation?

CL it or is...help a brother out...which way do I go?
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby juninho on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:57 pm

we should look for new coaches not someone like karl or scott. those are failures. i would rather find our own hornacek, stotts or vogel. look for those diamond assistants unless someone like thibs become available
juninho

Postby sister golden hair on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:00 pm

The problems with the lack of rebounding and poor all-around defensive effort in large part grow out of MDA's personnel decisions. He seems to only ever think about the offense, specifically to spread the floor with shooters and (presumably) get more speed out there. He just seems to put blinders on when it comes to evaluating and planning for other aspects o0f a basketball game. His penchant for simply letting the threes fly and giving everyone the green light may work one or two games out of, say, ten, when the team can't miss from three and, on a given night, when the opponent can't find the basket. But it's not a recipe for consistent winning when the shots aren't falling, or when the other team can light it up and can also challenge your shooters, as they will most assuredly do in the play-offs. MDA does not coach a balanced brand of basketball and, what's worse, his green-light-at-all-costs philosophy also ingrains bad habits into his personnel such as shooting too early in the shot clock (when you need to slow the pace), no concern for offensive rebounding position, and no concern for defensive floor spacing for when offense transitions to defense.

It's just bad basketball. Many MDA supporters constantly hammer home the point that MDA IS a good coach because all other teams in the NBA are running his seven-seconds -or-less system. Fact is, Doug Moe and Don Nelson were running the MDA system long before MDA was. MDA was the first guy to go all-in on the three point shot as the core of the offense. Congratulations. I just hope you have a good shooting team that can also rebound well, get back on defense, and slow the other team when the run down your throat the other way. Secnd, I would argue that other coaches have surpassed him, probably because the are better coaches than he is and can adapt to the circumstances at hand. They are not idealogues to the extent that MDA is.

MDA's lack of adjustments on both ends (and this is a criticism made by players, not just disgruntled fans), the myopic focus only on what a team does offensively, and the seeming total disregard for a balanced attack,lack of a premium on rebounding (why start a shrimp on a seven footer? Why concede the backboard to the other team form the get go?) -- these are the hallmarks of a guy with philosophical tunnel vision, his lone innovation (privileging the three-ball) notwithstanding.

His worst sin is insisting on running his brand of ball when the personnel to run it just ain't there. That and his failure to generate on defense the same kind of enthusiasm his players show toward the offense.

If he comes back for yet another season then, if it's not already clear to everyone it will soon be: the FO has so idea of what it is doing. There is already talk of re-tooling the personnel to better fit his system for next season -- again. I find that to be a very strange notion. Should he not instead be adapting his system to the players at hand? MDA has placed himself in the unenviable position of denigrating several players (Pau, Kaman, Hill) which, frankly, I think even some of the best teams in the league could find productive use for.

How many chances is this guy going to get?

Jabbar was on talk radio this morning and he very succinctly pointed out that the FO has made mistakes. He said they were "learning on the job," which, considering that Mitch has been in and around basketball for around fifty years as college player, pro player, as the Logo's understudy, and as the GM of the lakers -- makes me think that Jabbar was very subtly saying that much of the blame falls at the feet of Jim Buss -- who has never been the key figure in decision-making behind the scenes until the end of PJ's last season.

The FO fascination with MDA has never struck me as something that Mitch K. would do if left to his druthers.
sister golden hair

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:25 pm

^^ All good points and I agree completely. Antoni needs to go. The million or rather 4 million dollar question here is are the Lakers going to can him this summer or is he going to get a chance to . . .[ gasp ]. . . close out his contract with a third year. The problem is the Lakers are on the hook for that last season financially.

But personally as a Laker fan I can't stomach another year with this knucklehead. It's garbage ball. Even when he has his pieces it's a flawed system that can't possibly win. And like you said, we don't have and won't have his pieces. My great fear is that the Lakers just won't get rid of him. That they'll waste Kobe's last years with this buffoon.

I just don't want and can't take that. I need a change from this. It's unwatchable.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:28 pm

sister golden hair wrote:
Jabbar was on talk radio this morning and he very succinctly pointed out that the FO has made mistakes. He said they were "learning on the job," which, considering that Mitch has been in and around basketball for around fifty years as college player, pro player, as the Logo's understudy, and as the GM of the lakers -- makes me think that Jabbar was very subtly saying that much of the blame falls at the feet of Jim Buss -- who has never been the key figure in decision-making behind the scenes until the end of PJ's last season.

The question was about, IIRC, specifically the Buss kids inheriting the team after the passing of their father. So you're right, it wasn't aimed at Mitch at all.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby CarFlagChris on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:54 pm

Weezy wrote:Your title, without the period after "A.", makes me think that 'Antoni has a long standing feud with the family Martinez. "Should I be surprised a Martinez called for 'Antoni's firing?", kinda like, I don't know, "will there ever be another Kennedy in the White House?".

LOL! Correct grammar should always be used.
But, I was running out of space.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby CarFlagChris on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:56 pm

sister golden hair wrote:Jabbar was on talk radio this morning and he very succinctly pointed out that the FO has made mistakes. He said they were "learning on the job," which, considering that Mitch has been in and around basketball for around fifty years as college player, pro player, as the Logo's understudy, and as the GM of the lakers -- makes me think that Jabbar was very subtly saying that much of the blame falls at the feet of Jim Buss -- who has never been the key figure in decision-making behind the scenes until the end of PJ's last season.

The FO fascination with MDA has never struck me as something that Mitch K. would do if left to his druthers.

I heard the interview on ESPN. Another Laker fixture calls for MDA's head.
CarFlagChris

Postby CarFlagChris on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:03 pm

kidhell wrote: The team of players very respectfully stuck with the MDA situation throughout all of this but it's becoming pretty clear that MDA has lost the team at this point. You can certainly gather that from Pau's comments. And I'm sure Kendall Marshall, Jordan Hill, and Chris Kaman are not fans either. …in fact, who is?

Did anyone hear whether A. Martinez repeated his comments after tonight's game?
CarFlagChris

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:45 pm

^^ He basically did again CarFlagChris. He reiterated the same things - small ball lineup against Memphis? Why, not a smart move. He agreed with the callers that the system is flawed and the coach needs to go.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby MC on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:31 am

therealdeal wrote:Any coach who is willing to take a balanced approach.

The next coach can adopt the same offensive principles, but the reason MDA's coaching style fails is because he doesn't have a defensive plan. The plan is simply to outscore opponents with a perfect offense and that's terrible.

The successful teams took that open offense idea, gave it to the best players in the game, and then designed effective defensive approaches. Miami, OKC, and the Clippers come to mind.

it's not really about a defensive system either ....... this has way more to do with his offense and his forcing certain match ups, pace and floor spacing....... no defensive system out there can cover up someones over aggressiveness to 50% of the game.... if you are not responsible in your philosophy there is a price to be paid somewhere.

So I do agree with you about a balanced approach but it has more to do with spacing relative to shots going up and properly matching up instead of forcing things somehow for only 50% of the game itself.

people like to make huge separations from offense and defense but in a game like basketball one still needs to be responsible to the other in certain dynamics ..... MDA ignores one for the other.... just like our old coach that use to run what he called the "system" for a brief moment and a championship run behind a phenom rookie's ability to step up his play....of course his unbalanced approach caught up to him at this level.... just like MDAs flash in the pan in Phoenix ..... and now his philosophy has proven out to be flawed at stop after stop after stop.....
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby CarFlagChris on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:35 am

Lakerjones wrote:^^ He basically did again CarFlagChris. He reiterated the same things - small ball lineup against Memphis? Why, not a smart move. He agreed with the callers that the system is flawed and the coach needs to go.

Pau Gasol also used the "small ball" issue to say MDA stinks as a coach.

When asked to detail what type of discipline he was seeking, Gasol brought up another issue, pointing to D'Antoni's decision to play a small-ball lineup against the plus-sized Pacers.

"The type that will allow us to compete a little better," said Gasol after Indiana outrebounded L.A. 62-42. "I think when you have a lineup like Zach [Randolph] and Marc [Gasol] tomorrow (the Lakers finish off their two-game road back-to-back Wednesday against the Memphis Grizzlies), you have to match up accordingly a little bit, I think. That's just me."

Gasol wasn't done there.

"If we want to continue to play small, we have to play to that advantage and utilize more quickness," Gasol said. "But if we get outrebounded by 20 rebounds, I don't care who you are and what you do, it's not going to work. You're not going to win."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... other-loss
CarFlagChris

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:24 am

:man10: 2 months to go with this madness
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:02 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote::man10: 2 months to go with this madness

i miss football...i'm tired of watching the lakers suck...i wanna watch my raiders suck now
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:35 am

Well actually, given that it was a capital "A", presumably we cannot assume he meant "a", therefore my conclusion was reference to the first initial :man1: .

Look what this season has done to us.
Chillbongo

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:48 am

^^^ I assumed it was a typo, like he hit shift a second too soon leading into "Martinez". Yes, look what it has done to us.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby MC on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:11 am

pound4pound1 wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote::man10: 2 months to go with this madness

i miss football...i'm tired of watching the lakers suck...i wanna watch my raiders suck now

I was thinking the same thing lol..... only with my Cowboys..... I'm ready for some new pain, this reoccurring one is getting stale.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion