Should I be surprised A Martinez called for MDA's firing?

Should I be surprised A Martinez called for MDA's firing?

Postby CarFlagChris on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:53 am

On Lakers Line ast night (Feb. 25th), A. Martinez all but openly said MDA should be shown the door and certainly should not be allowed to return as the Lakers' coach next season.

Martinez repeatedly state that MDA's style of play only worked in Phx, only worked with certain personnel, (Nash, Amare Stoudemire, Bell, Barbosa), but even then it always "ran into a wall" against teams in the playoffs who would refuse to play their run & gun style and would play better defense. Martinez then dispelled the Lakers' oft-repeated injury excuse by saying that their record wouldn't have more than "a few more wins" even if the team didn't have all of these injuries.

In response to a call demanding that MDA get the axe, all he said was, "that is a decision the Lakers have to make this summer" and suggested that MDA should not be allowed to return if the Lakers were to improve.

While not leading the charge with pitch fork and torch in hand, he did, both in tone and in words, explain that MDA was a terrible coach and the Lakers should think seriously about retaining him. It was surprising to hear on a Lakers' station, particularly in comparison to Lakers' PR voice, John Ireland.

Of course, Max Kellerman openly mocks MDA on a daily basis, including in pregame shows from Star Plaza.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Re: Should I be surprised A Martinez called for MDA's firing?

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:45 am

^^ That's great to hear. I'm glad at least that someone over there on our flagship station is talking some sense. I get so tired of guys on our payroll like Ireland and even Willard defend MDA and even have the gall to call out the fan base for not wanting him here. There was never a good reason to bring him here. There was never even a defensible position for it. To play run and gun with a 38 year old Nash, two 7 footers and a 35 year old Kobe and an aging Artest?

We'll never know why in the hell they hired this guy. Maybe they just wanted anyone besides Phil that Kobe would sign off on.

At any rate - the damage is done already. I would love nothing more than to see a new coach hired this summer. It just better not be Mike Dunleavy or I'll have a real issue with it. That would actually be worse. Jim Buss apparently interviewed him the day after he interviewed Phil, by the way. No, I'm not joking. Is there anyone here who still has any lingering belief that Jim should be picking the next coach? That should lay it to waste if his track record already weren't enough.

Just let Mitch pick the next coach.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:03 am

Unless Thibs becomes available, I don't know of a decent replacement.

Rambis would work better than MDA.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:06 am

Any coach who is willing to take a balanced approach.

The next coach can adopt the same offensive principles, but the reason MDA's coaching style fails is because he doesn't have a defensive plan. The plan is simply to outscore opponents with a perfect offense and that's terrible.

The successful teams took that open offense idea, gave it to the best players in the game, and then designed effective defensive approaches. Miami, OKC, and the Clippers come to mind.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:09 am

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:Unless Thibs becomes available, I don't know of a decent replacement.

Rambis would work better than MDA.

Pick a VanGundy of your choice and lets go...
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:10 am

anyone who doesn't agree just needs to watch tonight when MDA has Wes Johnson guarding ZBo
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:13 am

The Spurs actually became a more offensive minded team, although keeping their defensive mantra.

That's how they got to the Finals last year.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby OX1947 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:30 am

There are a hand full of really good coaches in the NBA every year. Thats it. Maybe even less. When I say good coaches, that means respected. If the Lakers can not get Thibs from Chicago, than I think they need to get a fresh coach in. Someone like Vogal. They will have to do their homework. Make sure which ever young coach comes in, he can handle the pressure and personality of this franchise. A retread will not work. MDA was brought in to recreate showtime. Unfortunately, Howard and Nash took a giant dump on everything with Nash's injuries and Howard's pea brain constitution. If Nash were healthy and Howard wasnt so worried about the 15 illigitmate children he has with Kobe being to mean to him, it could have worked.
OX1947

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:32 am

I want a Rick Carlisle clone...I like what he's doing in Dallas
lukewaltonsdad

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:32 am

OX1947 wrote:If Nash were healthy and Howard wasnt so worried about the 15 illigitmate children he has with Kobe being to mean to him, it could have worked.

Somewhere we lost the story of where Kobe and Dwight had 15 illegitimate children...

And they're all mean to Dwight.

No wonder he left.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:36 am

I've always been a George Karl fan since his days as coach of the Sonics. He always seems to get the respect of his players (which is crucial) and maximizes the talent on his teams. It's amazing that he got fired after winning coach of the year.

I've never understood people's fascination with Jeff Van Gundy. It's obvious listening to this guy that he's kind of a wacko. I don't want an emotional guy as a coach. I want someone who is in control emotionally. I mean when was the last time an emotional coach won it all? Tomjanovich? But I wouldn't call him emotional like Van Gundy.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby CarFlagChris on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:37 am

Lakerjones wrote:^^ That's great to hear. I'm glad at least that someone over there on our flagship station is talking some sense. I get so tired of guys on our payroll like Ireland and even Willard defend MDA and even have the gall to call out the fan base for not wanting him here.

Yes, the contrast with Ireland - and you add Willard - was surprising. I would not have thought to hear on the post-game show. I would have thought that he towed the company line, like Ireland.

Max apparently gets the ratings, which is why they moved him to the pinnacle drive home time-slot, so he may get a pass.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby D.B. Cooper on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:40 am

If not Thibs, what do you guys think of Lionel Hollins?
D.B. Cooper

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:05 pm

I was always mystified of why he was fired so hastily despite taking a decent Memphis team through a deep Western Conference finals, only to fall to the more experienced Spurs in 7 games.

I liked his defensive mantra, and he always seemed to have a good inside outside foundation, rather than just constantly run pick and roll. What he lacked were some set plays that he could rely on, and kept force feeding Z-bo.

Anyone know why he was fired? I would give him a shot.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:08 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:I was always mystified of why he was fired so hastily despite taking a decent Memphis team through a deep Western Conference finals, only to fall to the more experienced Spurs in 7 games.

I liked his defensive mantra, and he always seemed to have a good inside outside foundation, rather than just constantly run pick and roll. What he lacked were some set plays that he could rely on, and kept force feeding Z-bo.

I think it was about $$ and the front office didn't want to spend the cash. Even though Memphis went deep in the playoffs, there were always talks about getting rid of Zbo to get cap relief. They also got rid of Gay for that reason if i'm not mistaken.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:10 pm

The disappointing sweep by the Spurs was the beginning of a summer of discontent for the fans. Nearly a month later, Hollins was gone. "I achieved a considerable amount of success during the time I was here," Hollins said. "Taking a team that previously won 22 games a year, taking young players who hadn't done anything and developing them into a winner, here's finally an opportunity for me to reap the rewards financially, and it didn't happen." The fans were hurt and angry. Hollins said he felt hurt, thought hurt, and felt he was wronged, but that life just isn't fair. "No matter who you are there are going to be trials and tribulations in this life, and you have to trust God to get you through them and move forward," Hollins said. My FOX Memphis - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/lionel_ ... dlTlZ.dpuf
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:21 pm

Come here Lionel. Comcast-TWC got plenty green for you. :man1:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:33 pm

therealdeal wrote:
OX1947 wrote:If Nash were healthy and Howard wasnt so worried about the 15 illigitmate children he has with Kobe being to mean to him, it could have worked.

Somewhere we lost the story of where Kobe and Dwight had 15 illegitimate children...

No wonder he left.

:man10:

Reminds me of this:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/emmyf/25-biggest-comma-fails
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby kidhell on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:51 pm

It's time that Jim Buss puts personal issues aside and offers the GM spot to Phil Jackson (…thanks Mitch, but it's time to go now) and recruits a Byron Scott, Jeff Van Gunde (who loves Kobe), Kurt Rambis or other coaches who can be an extension of Phil's style and belief system. The team of players very respectfully stuck with the MDA situation throughout all of this but it's becoming pretty clear that MDA has lost the team at this point. You can certainly gather that from Pau's comments. And I'm sure Kendall Marshall, Jordan Hill, and Chris Kaman are not fans either. …in fact, who is?
kidhell

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:08 pm

therealdeal wrote:Any coach who is willing to take a balanced approach.

The next coach can adopt the same offensive principles, but the reason MDA's coaching style fails is because he doesn't have a defensive plan. The plan is simply to outscore opponents with a perfect offense and that's terrible.

^^ This. I do like Lionel Hollins by the way. I'd sign off on him for sure. Solid coach.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:14 pm

therealdeal wrote:

No wonder he left.

Amazing what a missing comma can do to communication. haha
OX1947

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:14 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:I was always mystified of why he was fired so hastily despite taking a decent Memphis team through a deep Western Conference finals, only to fall to the more experienced Spurs in 7 games.

There was alot of buzz over David Joerger.. Lots of fans crediting him for the teams defensive identity, even saw some Thibs comparisons thrown around.. I think they thought their assistant coach would go on to be a much better coach than Hollins, & they were going to lose 1 or the other.
LakersN4

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:52 pm

We need to go with someone who has a winning pedigree. Someone who has won it all in the NBA. I want a guy who knows how to get it done.

We won't snag one of the coveted coaches who are already employed. So who are we left with? I like what George Karl has done in his career but he has seen too much turnover in his lengthy career for me to believe in him.

Which leaves me with two options.

Lionel Hollins. Hollins won a chip as a player and was an outstanding defender. I'm guessing he knows a thing or two about defense and what it takes for a team to win. The other option is an unknown. I'm honestly tempted to go this route, but I fear that Kobe will overstep his boundaries. So it has to be someone he respects. I don't think Derek Fisher is quite ready for the job yet - but if we can get him as the lead assistant for this coach, that would help alleviate a bit of the Kobe issue. I don't know who this unknown is, but I don't want to go the Brad Stevens route a la Foston. I want someone with NBA experience. Is it Mark Madsen? Maybe. Not sold on him.

What I am sold on is that we need to absolutely nail this next coaching hire.
Last edited by Chillbongo on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chillbongo

Postby khmrP on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:53 pm

I'd like to see if we can find a fresh face in the crowd with coaching hire, obviously its not the way FO does things but the Vogels, Spo and Thibs had to start from somewhere. Should just find that asst. who's had success and is passionate bout his job, these old names like Adelman, JVG, Karl, etc. they're all old and set in their ways. They dont adjust to the game the way it is played now, pretty much like Antoni, nobody can tell him any better as he thinks his way or no way is the best way :man1:
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:57 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

No wonder he left.

Reminds me of this:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/emmyf/25-biggest-comma-fails

therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion