Should The Lakers Get Delonte West If He is a FA?

Re: Should The Lakers Get Delonte West If He is a FA?

Postby alexthegreat on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:34 pm

No question. We should have tried to get him last year imo
alexthegreat

Postby khmrP on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:34 pm

biggest Pro alone is not seeing Morris get anymore burn
khmrP

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Morris shouldn't allowed in an NBA game anymore. Cut him. Just looking up West's career three-point percentage is a shade over 37%; overall FG% a shade under 45%. He's only 29; young enough to get up & down the floor. Also, a 88% free-throw shooter.. I think he'll be fine here...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby thisbjgz on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:46 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:Morris shouldn't allowed in an NBA game anymore. Cut him. Just looking up West's career three-point percentage is a shade over 37%; overall FG% a shade under 45%. He's only 29; young enough to get up & down the floor. I think he'll be fine here...

But you know the deal, everyone who comes to the Lakers become -30% 3pt shooters, from 25 minute rotation guys to 9-12 minute rotation guys. I wouldn't be surprised if Lakers sign him tmr and CL will be calling for Delonte West's head in a month.
thisbjgz

Postby gill on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Lakers' top PG trade target, of course, has long been Pau's pal Jose Calderon. But Raps, to this point, want to attach Jose to a bigger deal

They'll force Mitch to take Bargs and ask for Pau's shorter contract too.
gill

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:58 pm

thisbjgz wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:Morris shouldn't allowed in an NBA game anymore. Cut him. Just looking up West's career three-point percentage is a shade over 37%; overall FG% a shade under 45%. He's only 29; young enough to get up & down the floor. I think he'll be fine here...

But you know the deal, everyone who comes to the Lakers become -30% 3pt shooters, from 25 minute rotation guys to 9-12 minute rotation guys. I wouldn't be surprised if Lakers sign him tmr and CL will be calling for Delonte West's head in a month.

I don't think that will happen in this case; although it's possible. However, if you look at his history and the destinations he's been at, he's been productive. We're running a system that's conducive to getting clean open looks for players in rhythm. He can hit those open shots.

Meeks has done well since he's been here and Jamison for the most part has done okay; nevertheless, this is all under MDA. I have a feeling that would be the case for West. In addition, we'll get a good defender. A backcourt of Meeks & West coming off the bench would be great; along with two players who can defend and won't blown my every other possession.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby hollywood swinger on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:00 pm

waive that knock kneed klown Devin Estanks & sign west.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:03 pm

gill wrote:
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Lakers' top PG trade target, of course, has long been Pau's pal Jose Calderon. But Raps, to this point, want to attach Jose to a bigger deal

They'll force Mitch to take Bargs and ask for Pau's shorter contract too.

You just might be right about that. However, I would not be surprised in the least if Mitch were to make it happen without including Pau; how that happens? I have no idea. He pulled off the trade with Dwight without including Pau, and I believe if there is any possiblity of him getting Calderon without Pau, he would be the ONLY GM that can pull that off. That aside, I think it would be easier to cut someone like Morris and sign West off of waivers.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:05 pm

they'd probably hoodwink him with morris/blake/ebanks/hill
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:04 am

Doc Brown wrote:
fkmikebrown wrote:given how these things have been panning out recently...dwest will be all but signed, then they will announce they signed someone infinitely worse.

We are pleased to announce that we have signed Delonte West.......

Come on out Delonte....

Confused person at press conference: "WTF is that Earl Boykins?"

We are pleased to announce we have signed Earl Boykins.

hahaha the funny part is, THEY WOULD! :man10:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:11 pm

I have been calling for D-West since Dallas cut him. If we sign him, then we have Duhon coming off the bench and West starting...until Nash comes back. Then we have Nash starting and Delonte West coming off the bench. THAT is a MUCH better situation than the alternative...which is either A. Darius Morris, and his consistently poor shooting and scoring, being a staple of our rotation OR B. playing Duhon 40+ minutes per game.

I think we should cut Morris (he is decent and has upside, but he is still too raw...especially as a shooter and scorer/finisher), Clark (he is basically just an athlete...nothing more) and DJO (lots of potential, even more than morris, but WAY TOO RAW) and sign Delonte West, CD-R and Kenyon Martin.

I would keep Ebanks so he can use his fouls against Kevin Durant (and other SFs) defensively. He did a decent job in the playoffs last year against KD, and this past Friday's game as well. He is a good spot defender for the bigger, longer 3s to have as an option...plus he is a decent slasher and can hit the occasional mid range or long range shot...and he can even play stretch 4, if we want a small ball style.

CD-R would be a good 2/3 combo to give our roster some youth, athleticism and defense...plus now that we are running more, he fits our offense much better. Delonte is a serious upgrade in experience, clutch, defense and shooting at the PG over Morris or DJO. K-Mart is a good Pau replacement for now, and a GREAT 4th big for foul trouble insurance and spot defense...as well as being able to hit mid range jumpers and frustrate the opponent, going forward.
Last edited by Snakell Beast on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:30 pm

I just don't know where there'd be room for him unless we made some trades/waives. I wouldn't mind seeing him in there, but Meeks is playing really well lately and honestly so is Duhon.

I suppose at Duhon's expense? That sucks. Duhon has done a lot and deserves some burn.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lAKERfaNaticKID on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Couldn we not just cut Morris? Or is he signed for 2 years?
lAKERfaNaticKID

Postby frankrj on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:42 pm

NO!!. Guy has mental issues - bi-polar. You think he will get along with D'Antoni's criticisms?
is this becoming Cleveland west? 1st Sessions, now Jamison, now Delonte West
Dam, it is only 1/4 of the season and 2 guys are hurt.
frankrj

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:43 pm

therealdeal wrote:I suppose at Duhon's expense? That sucks. Duhon has done a lot and deserves some burn.

Not at Duhon's expense...just at the expense of Duhon being FORCED to play 40+ minutes because Darius Morris cannot stretch the floor, and can't really finish around the basket...or provide any consistently reliable scoring from game to game. If we cut Morris or DJO, then we would replace them with Delonte, and Duhon could play fewer minutes and, I believe, be more effective.

When Nash comes back, Duhon would be the #3 behind he and West, and then we would have Blake as the #4 when he came back. The Dariuses are expendable, and we need some more front court depth and a more consistent shooter/scorer to back up Duhon while Nash is out. I also like using Meeks as a 1 sometimes with Dwight and Kobe on the floor, as that makes spreading the floor easier.

Between Delonte, Duhon and spot minutes for Meeks, we wouldn't really EVER need to go with Morris...which means we could cut DJO for now, and then cut Morris later (when Blake is healthy) to free up more space for another roster spot...I am thinking CD-R or Kenyon Martin. If we cut Clark, it could be both. We need more reliable, experienced players coming off the bench. Look at how well that strategy has worked for the Clippers.

One of our main problems is that we have too many young, inexperienced (Morris, DJO, Sacre) or one dimensional (Earl Clark, Antawn Jamison, Jodie Meeks) guys on the bench. We need to add TOUGHNESS (both mental and physical) and experience. West and Martin fit the bill. CD-R, for me, is someone I want because of Ebanks' lack of consistent shooting and scoring ability. Though, as I said before, I keep Ebanks for his on-ball defense against 3s.

nash/west/duhon
kobe/meeks/blake
artest/cdr/ebanks
pau/jamison/martin
howard/hill/sacre
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby jlkr on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:57 pm

There's a reason West is still available ... even when some teams other than the Lakers could use him. Do ya really want to go there?

Far better target is Calderon, but that will take Pau + filler (Blake?) going out and Bargnani coming back as well. Won't happen until Nash and Pau return and they see how these guys do together.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:00 pm

The problem is we're then spending too much in an area that we're not using properly. I know the Lakers broke the bank for this team, but we're not just going to pile on more unless it's going to change things significantly.

I like West for this team, I've been calling for him for a long time now, but unless we trade away Duhon and/or Blake, it's just not cost effective to have him here. He brings a little more offense than Duhon and a some more defensive ability, but he doesn't necessarily solve a whole lot for an extra 1.5 million.

Blake/Duhon/West adds up to something like 8-9 million for the three of them with about 8 million being unused. That's just unacceptable. Maybe blow the amnesty on Blake, waive Morris, and sign West. That'd be the only real positive way to do it. And even so, if West comes in he's going to pretty much take away all of the minutes from Duhon. That's okay, it just sucks for Duhon who has done a great job of stepping in.

What we really need though is someone to replace Ebanks who has been a collosal disappointment. A fast athlete preferably. Someone like CDR would be great.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:02 pm

jlkr wrote:There's a reason West is still available ... even when some teams other than the Lakers could use him. Do ya really want to go there?

Far better target is Calderon, but that will take Pau + filler (Blake?) going out and Bargnani coming back as well. Won't happen until Nash and Pau return and they see how these guys do together.

Bargnani isn't worth Calderon.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:42 pm

Duhon has been credible since he's been in the starting lineup under the circumstances. However, IMO, Duhon is still a 3rd-string PG on a championship caliber team. The last 6 games he's had multiple assists games in TWO of those games and scored in double digits Twice. In the other four games he has scored 2 points, 3 points, 6 points, and 3 points. To put in perspective, he's averaged 7.4 points, 4.6 rebounds, and 6.6 assists

Delonte's offense is only MARGINALLY better. He's actually more of a scorer then a PG. However, he create his own shot and for others. He can play the 1 and 2 given his size; so he adds versatility in that area. We need to cut Morris or DJO to make it happen. But I seriously don't mind if it cuts into Duhon's minutes one bit. We're at a point now with this team and in this season where we need to cut off the dead weight and add players who will contribute on both ends of the floor.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:45 pm

Again, with both Blake and Duhon on the team, signing West pushes Duhon to or Blake to FOURTH, not 3rd string. Paying 4 million for a 3rd string PG is bad enough, paying 3.5 for your 4th string as well is intolerable.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby thisbjgz on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:46 pm

Yes, let DJO go...he's the 2012 Jarvis Crittenton. Just let him go.
thisbjgz

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Why? We've already seen the best and worst of Morris and we know he's not really an NBA level talent. We haven't seen whether or not DJO is and he's been tearing it up in the D-League from what I've heard.

Let go of Morris before DJO.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:58 pm

The ownership needs to decide if it is worth another 7 or 8 million dollars to improve the team. It's as simple as this: Which is more important, saving face and money by forcing players who can't get it done, into the line-up? That would risk sabotaging the season before our starters get fully healthy. The second choice is spending more money by cutting the dead weight...the projects (Ebanks, Morris), the potentials (Sacre, DJO) and the disappointments (Clark)...and adding players that can contribute RIGHT NOW.

With players like K-Mart, CDR, West, Redd, etc... available, why stick with the Earl Clark, DJO, Morris's of the world, who are simply NOT contributing anything of quality or consistency. Playing alongside Metta, Kobe, Dwight and Antawn should be SIMPLE, yet since most of our benchers (with the exception of Duhon and Meeks) are either not talented enough (Morris, Clark), not developed enough (Ebanks, DJO) or not healthy enough (Blake) to contribute anything. We can always amnesty Blake and trade Duhon, who's contract is only guaranteed for 1.5 million, next season.
Last edited by Snakell Beast on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snakell Beast

Postby icencream27 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:02 pm

khmrP wrote:biggest Pro alone is not seeing Morris get anymore burn

THIS

ONLY KINGS HAVE RINGS
icencream27

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:06 pm

For the LOVE OF GOD, why can't we try splitting minutes between Duhon and DJO for a little while. He can't POSSIBLY be less effective scoring the ball than Morris, plus we could boost his trade value if we had a body of work to show off. If he turns out to be good enough, we keep him and elevate him to back up (behind Duhon) while Nash is hurt. Seriusly, we need to create and sign a "PLAY DJO" petition or something...I mean, if we are going to cut him for Johnny Flynn or Delonte West, shouldn't we give him a chance to prove himself first??? Can I get an amen???
Snakell Beast

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion