Should The Lakers Get Delonte West If He is a FA?

Re: Should The Lakers Get Delonte West If He is a FA?

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:42 pm

De we even have the $/roster spot to do this?Has DJO and Mini Mamba been cut?
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby XXIV on Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:13 pm

KBJelleyBean24 wrote:De we even have the $/roster spot to do this?Has DJO and Mini Mamba been cut?

We have two spots available, likely only one after/if Sacre makes the cut. Also, we can offer him the veteran minimum which I'm certain he'll take.
XXIV

Postby kblo247 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:38 pm

And the Lakers should make a bid on him to backup Nash absolutely.

He has a mental problem but they should get him counciling like they got Ron in LA. He has basketball talent. And almost everywhere he's been his teammates, much like Ron say he is a good guy and teammate. He just has issues, which stem from an actual mental problem, much like Ron, which is legit and you have to work with him on.

That said his basketball talent has never been a question. He is an ideal PG backup under Brown and behind Nash. He can defend both guard spots, shoot, start when needed, and has more talent than everyone of our reserve guards put together. He would be the best backup pg on the market and a solid add to our sad, sad, Blake, Duhon, Morris, Goudelock quartet behind Nash
kblo247

Postby jadej2 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:18 pm

karacha wrote:Absolutely. Our bench is already better then last year, and he would make it even better. He can play both 1 & 2, can defend, can score... nothing wrong with that. We can always use extra depth -- and I mean real depth, because players like Morris & Glock do not qualify -- since we're very top heavy. I'm happy with Meeks, Ebanks and Hill, but the rest... I don't know. Jamison might start shooting eventually, who knows... we need him to be an 8-10 ppg guy for us on a consistent basis. If not -- West can provide scoring as well and is obviously better then Duhon & Blake in pretty much every aspect of the game.

The problem is that we still have to move Blake or Duhon to make room, and also his bipolar his going to ruin everything I mean we are talking Isiah Rider bad.
jadej2

Postby jadej2 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:21 pm

XXIV wrote:
KBJelleyBean24 wrote:De we even have the $/roster spot to do this?Has DJO and Mini Mamba been cut?

We have two spots available, likely only one after/if Sacre makes the cut. Also, we can offer him the veteran minimum which I'm certain he'll take.

And we have to move Blake or Duhon as well because we have too many guards, and Mitch doesn't want 7 mil sitting on the bench.
jadej2

Postby BadCoaching on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:25 pm

Yep.. would sign him easily for the min.

Our bench blows at PG, at least this guy is an athlete who shoots well.
BadCoaching

Postby jadej2 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:26 pm

BadCoaching wrote:Yep.. would sign him easily for the min.

But we still have to move Blake or Duhon though.
jadej2

Postby BadCoaching on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:28 pm

jadej2 wrote:

Yes, no need to keep repeating it.
BadCoaching

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:32 pm

I don't care who we have to move; if he's available, you go after him, period. He's perfect to come off that bench. He'll solidify that backup PG position...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby jadej2 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:38 pm

BadCoaching wrote:
jadej2 wrote:

Yes, no need to keep repeating it.

Just making sure you got it.
jadej2

Postby jadej2 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:43 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:I don't care who we have to move; if he's available, you go after him, period. He's perfect to come off that bench. He'll solidify that backup PG position...

Well we should because of 7 mil on our bench sitting there.
jadej2

Postby Snakell Beast on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:48 pm

Delonte West is WELL worth it. The situation in Dallas was more a playing time/salary dispute and management not only moving on to newer, younger players but also not wanting to expose young players to bad examples of behavior and attitude. We have an experienced, veteran roster. We don't/won't have that problem. SIGN HIM!!!
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby jadej2 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:55 pm

Snakell Beast wrote:Delonte West is WELL worth it. The situation in Dallas was more a playing time/salary dispute and management not only moving on to newer, younger players but also not wanting to expose young players to bad examples of behavior and attitude. We have an experienced, veteran roster. We don't/won't have that problem. SIGN HIM!!!

The problem is that now we have too many guards we have to do something about that.
jadej2

Postby Snakell Beast on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:15 pm

jadej2 wrote:The problem is that now we have too many guards we have to do something about that.

We have too many crappy, useless guards. We can waive Darius Morris in favor of Delonte West. TALK ABOUT AN UPGRADE :man4:

As far as Duhon and Blake, we are STUCK with them until next season, when their expiring contracts become an asset. Until then, they're gonna have to get comfy riding the pine, because they aren't what we need from the PG position off the bench.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby purp n gold on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:39 pm

therealdeal wrote:
purp n gold wrote:If the Lakers are gonna take on a player who was dismissed for detrimental conduct, he's gonna have to be a lot better then Delonte West

Why?

Last season with Dallas:
9.6 points 3.2 assists 2.3 rebounds 1.3 steals 46.1 FG% 35.5 3P% 1.7 TOs (1.88 ast/to) in 24:06 minutes

For a bit of perspective-
Steve Blake last season:
5.2 points 3.3 assists 1.6 rebounds 0.7 steals 37.7 FG% 33.5 3PT% 1.4 TOs (2.36 ast/to) in 23:18 minutes

Chris Duhon:
3.8 points 2.4 assists 1.6 rebounds 0.6 steals 41.9 FG% 42 3PT% 1.3 TOs (1.85 ast/to) in 19:30 minutes

West gives you better defense than Blake, more assists than Duhon, and far more scoring than either in comparable time.

Oh there's no question he's an upgrade over Duhon and Blake. In terms of basketball, he's everything we need. But the risk isn't worth it, for all the other reasons.

He can still ball, but after a few years in and a few injuries later, I think he's just an above-average player. At the very best he's a backup. I'd even say becoming 6th man on this squad is a longshot for him.

At worst? West is useless & throws a wrench into our already fragile locker room. Let's not forget
--Mike Brown hasn't managed players or minutes well (not good for a loaded team)
--a potential "alpha dog" shake down between Kobe, Nash & Dwight
--a potential coaching hot seat for Mike Brown (with Jordan and Bickerstaff on deck)
--and the "Kobe Island" effect. This is an underrated role Fisher played for the Lakers. Fisher was the bridge between the Lakers & an isolated, introverted, jerk basketball genius. I think the Laker locker room is an awkward place without Fish or Phil. Nash and Dwight will change the culture, but it remains to be seen how or what it will be this season.

At least 2 of those things will happen this year, and I don't want Delonte around for any of them.

A few months ago I was all for bringing in Delonte. But being suspended for detrimental conduct is a huge red flag for an 8-year vet who is almost 30. Just not the safest bet. If I were to take that kind of gamble, I would want more (a better player) in return.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby jadej2 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:52 pm

Snakell Beast wrote:
jadej2 wrote:The problem is that now we have too many guards we have to do something about that.

We have too many crappy, useless guards. We can waive Darius Morris in favor of Delonte West. TALK ABOUT AN UPGRADE :man4:

As far as Duhon and Blake, we are STUCK with them until next season, when their expiring contracts become an asset. Until then, they're gonna have to get comfy riding the pine, because they aren't what we need from the PG position off the bench.

You mean waive Glock because remember Morris have a guaranteed contract while Glock does not thus why he'll be cut if West signs. Also Mitch is not going to wait till next season to get rid of Blake and Duhon especially Duhon because his contract is only partially guaranteed next season thus he'll be moved at the deadline or sooner.
jadej2

Postby lakersStan24 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:25 am

The Guy can ball watch this:

Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby Pig Miller on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:38 am

if we did sign this guy, i'd have a zero tolerance policy with him. he's not so great that he's worth the headache.

if we can move a duhon or blake, i'd roll the dice. there's enough vet influence on this team to keep him in check.
Pig Miller

Postby 432J on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:41 am

yes yes yes

and i dont see his behavior being an issue if he was to come here, anything is an upgrade over blake
432J

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:09 am

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20709551/still-no-resolution-with-delonte-west-in-dallas

After reports that the Dallas Mavericks would be releasing Delonte West to make room on the 15-man roster for newly acquired Eddy Curry, Mark Cuban is now saying there hasn't been a decision made on West's future with the organization.

West has been suspended twice this preseason for conduct detrimental to the team. This was allegedly stemming from an incident in the locker room, in which West semi-cryptically took to Twitter to voice his frustrations. And with the Curry being claimed off waivers despite the Mavs already having 15 players under contract, it was speculated that West would be the odd man out.

Cuban says not so fast (via AP):

Cuban said he will make the final call on whether West could return to the Mavericks after he was suspended indefinitely Thursday for conduct detrimental to the team.

''The best way to sum it up is no decisions have been made one way or the other,'' Cuban said.

''There's been no decision to waive him or anything like that,'' Cuban said. ''It could go either way. I haven't made any decisions.''

At this point, something has to happen with the roster. Mavericks have 16 players with Curry and there are three players who would be the most likely candidates to leave. West, Brandan Wright, and Bernard James have contracts worth less than $1 million dollars. James' deal runs through 2015 but is only fully guaranteed this season.

Wright and West both have just this season on their contracts. Considering the Mavericks just claimed Curry because of a lack of depth inside, it's unlikely they'd turn around and get rid of Wright and James because of a numbers game. This makes West seemingly the odd man out.

Technically, they could just get rid of Curry like he never signed, but a lot of that decision probably would be based on the severity of Chris Kaman's injury. Kaman strained his Achilles, presumably prompting the Mavericks to find a replacement big man for the short term. If Kaman is healthy enough to play this coming week, the Mavericks could keep West and pretend this whole thing never happened.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:37 am

^Interesting. Well, I hope he does waive West. C
dwighthowardsdad

Postby revgen on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:05 am

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
revgen wrote:Mike Brown didn't handle him all that well when he was in Cleveland. Ever since West left Cleveland, he's been kinda wacky but nothing like he was there.

If Phil was still the coach, I wouldn't be worried at all.

How so? West never really had any problems in Cleveland. They didn't start till after he left which is coincidently when Brown was fired.

Both his "gun incident" and the Lebron incident happened on Mike Brown's watch. I'm not saying that Mike could have foreseen those incidents, but some coaches have a "sixth sense" about a player they are in charge of and try to intervene early rather than let a problem spiral out of control.

Mike strikes me as a guy who doesn't want to get involved in issues beyond what his basic responsibilities are. He always tells reporters regarding a players injury, "Well, I'm not a doctor, I let the doctors decide if he can play or not". Phil always discussed how he'd use a player coming back after being out with an injury. He wasn't a doctor, but being a former player, he knew that just because a player was ready to play again doesn't mean he's in game shape yet.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby nthydro on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:03 am

Hell to yes. Sign West.

He was on my list of top free agent signings for our bench. West is a combo guard so he can backup Kobe too if Meeks is struggling. Of course his antics are a concern but at this point I'll take that risk. Anything to see less of Blake and Duhon.
nthydro

Postby lakersStan24 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:07 pm

I Think it Would Be a Good Signing
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby ben_ready on Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Yes I'm tired of choir boys. Should have gotten blanche instead of jamerson (he was cheap to) and he can handle the rock. west would be perfect.we need a combo guard to cut into the rotation in the playoffs. Forget this goodie good crap, get hood with it. We already got nash and gasol for good pr.yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion