Should the Lakers trade Pau for DWillie and Love?

Should the Lakers trade Pau for DWillie and Love?

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:48 pm

]NBA's top trade candidates
Fri, Dec 14, 2012 7:04 PM EST

Email

Former No. 2 pick Derrick Williams isn't getting much playing time in Minnesota. (Getty Images)
Most NBA players who signed contracts during the past offseason become eligible on Saturday to be traded. What that means: With a much larger pool of players available for deals, NBA general managers will start spending a lot more time on the phone in the coming weeks.

"It's about to heat up on Dec. 15," one Eastern Conference general manager said. "Conversations are definitely happening because once Dec. 15 comes, the pool increases. You've heard a lot of rumors about Pau Gasol, Andrea Bargnani. The names are only going to grow on Dec. 15."

From conversations with several NBA executives, here's a list of players whose names figure to frequently surface in trade talks between now and the league's Feb. 21 deadline for deals.

Andrea Bargnani (Getty Images)Andrea Bargnani: Toronto Raptors, 27, PF-C

Contract status: Three years, $33.25 million remaining. Player opt-out in 2014. Due 5 percent bonus if traded.

Buzz: Bargnani is sidelined with elbow and wrist injuries, tempering his short-term value. He hasn't lived up to the hype and injuries have been a concern throughout his career. Still, the young 7-footer can score and remains a sharp 3-point threat.

"Toronto definitely wants to move Bargnani," one NBA GM said.

Marshon Brooks: Brooklyn Nets, 23, SG

Contract status: Making $1.1 million in second year of rookie contract.

Buzz: Brooks had a sensational rookie season averaging 12.6 points. But with the addition of Joe Johnson, Brooks has averaged just 6.2 points through his first 14 games this season. Sources said the Nets dangled Brooks in offseason trade talks, but his low contract number makes it difficult to get much of a return for him in a deal.

"They are one of the rare teams that can afford to keep their team at a championship level financially," an NBA GM said. "For them, the development of young players isn't important because they can overspend."

Andrew Bynum: Philadelphia 76ers, 25, C

Contract status: Making $16.1 million in last year of contract.

Buzz: Bynum is still experiencing left knee pain that has kept him from making his debut with the Sixers, but is hopeful he can return sometime in 2013. He becomes a free agent at the end of the season and was expected to command a five-year contract approaching $100 million. His health problems threaten to substantially reduce that number.

[Related: Kobe Bryant still sees hope in Lakers' rough start]

One NBA general manager said the Sixers have been making trade inquiries about adding a starting caliber center.

"They got to be a little panicked now," one GM said. "They could get a really interesting deal for him. I could see them doing that."

Jose Calderon: Toronto Raptors, 27, PG

Contract status: Making $10.5 million in last year of contract. Due a 10 percent bonus if traded.

Buzz: Calderon has been mentioned as a possible trade candidate for years and has been linked with the Los Angeles Lakers in the past. Raptors starting point guard Kyle Lowry is expected to be sidelined another week with a partial tear to his right triceps muscle, but that shouldn't keep Calderon from being shopped.

"I believe 100 percent that they're trying to trade him," one GM said.

Tyreke Evans: Sacramento Kings, G-F, 23

Contact status: Making $5.2 million in final year of contract year. Will be a restricted free agent at end of the season.

Buzz: Evans recently had a positive conversation about his future with Kings general manager Geoff Petrie, a source close to the guard said. Evans thinks the franchise could match any offer sheet he potentially signs next offseason and would prefer to return to the Kings to prove he is a franchise player. But can the Kings afford him?

"If they can't pay him, they'll just move him," one GM said.

Pau Gasol (Getty Images)Pau Gasol: Los Angeles Lakers, 32, PF

Contract status: Making $19 million this season and due $19.2 million next season. Due a 15 percent bonus if traded.

Buzz: Gasol was nearly dealt to the Houston Rockets last year and continued to be the center of trade whispers. The Lakers, however, aren't expected to seriously consider any deals for him until after he returns and gets a chance to play with Steve Nash, who is also currently sidelined. If a move does happen with Gasol, it will likely be much closer to the trade deadline.

"I believe that the message being conveyed to wait and see with Nash is accurate," one GM said.

Tyler Hansbrough: Indiana Pacers, 27, PF

Contract status: Making $3.1 million in final contract year. Will be restricted free agent at end of the season. Buzz: Hansbrough is averaging career-lows of six points, 4.2 rebounds and 16.1 minutes, but could be a good frontcourt addition for needy teams. By moving Hansbrough, the Pacers could potentially add a wing player to help soothe the loss of injured small forward Danny Granger.

"I'm surprised they haven't been playing him," one GM said of Hansbrough.

Gerald Henderson: Charlotte Bobcats, G-F, 25

Contract status: Making $3.1 million in final contract year. Will be a restricted free agent at end of the season.

Buzz: Henderson averaged 15.1 points last season and seemed to be coming into his own. A foot injury early this season, however, forced him to miss 13 games. The Bobcats have since primarily started rookie Jeff Taylor instead and a league source said the team is open to trading Henderson.

"If they don't look like they can afford him, they are probably going to move him," one NBA GM said. "They were playing their best basketball when he was hurt."

Kevin Love: Minnesota Timberwolves, 24, PF

Contract status: In first year of a four-year, $60 million contract. Can opt out after the 2014-15 season.

Buzz: In an interview with Yahoo! Sports NBA columnist Adrian Wojnarowski, Love recently questioned the direction of the franchise under owner Glen Taylor and general manager David Kahn. Love isn't happy about not getting a five-year maximum contract, and some teams might try to explore acquiring him from Minnesota.

"I don't think that's a match that is permanent in Minnesota," a rival assistant GM said. "I'm not saying they're shopping, but if they can get the right deal they would look at it. And I don't think he wants to be there."

Paul Millsap (AP)Paul Millsap: Utah Jazz, 27, PF

Contract status: Making $8.6 million in final contract year.

Buzz: The Utah Jazz are in the playoff hunt and have two starting big men in the last years of their deals in Millsap and Al Jefferson. Utah also has two talented young big men in Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter. Any big move by new general manager Dennis Lindsey, however, could disrupt Utah's playoff hopes.

"I would think they would more likely trade Millsap over Jefferson because he is going to be harder to keep," one GM said. "He's made less money than Jefferson and he will go to the highest bidder."

Timofey Mozgov: Denver Nuggets, 26, C

Contract status: Making $3.1 million in last year of contract. Will be a restricted free agent at end of the season.

Buzz: Of their three centers, the Nuggets are most willing to part with Mozgov, who has proven in his short NBA career and Olympic play that he is a serviceable big man. The Nuggets probably won't try to re-sign him with two other free agents on the horizon: guard Andre Iguodala and reserve swingman Corey Brewer.

"It's logical because they have three centers and it's hard for [coach George] Karl to play them all," one NBA GM said. "The Nuggets are not a big revenue-generating team and they're not going to pay the tax."

Anderson Varejao: Cleveland Cavaliers, 30, PF-C

Contract status: Has $27.1 million remaining over final three years of contract. Due 5 percent bonus if traded.

[Also: Carmelo Anthony is 'day-to-day' with ankle injury]

Buzz: Varejao is having an All-Star season, averaging 14.3 points and 14.8 rebounds through 22 games. Cleveland, however, has one of the NBA's worst records so teams will at least ask about the availability of Varejao, whose stock is rising by the day.

"He is a target for trade, but I don't think Cleveland wants to trade him," one GM said. "There is a distinction between players teams might want to move and players teams want to have."

Derrick Williams: Minnesota Timberwolves, 21, F

Contract status: Making $4.8 million in second year of rookie deal.

Buzz: Williams has had a disappointing career in Minnesota after being selected second overall in the 2011 draft. The highest draft choice in franchise history has been earning DNP-CDs or short-minute stints under coach Rick Adelman. Both sides would be happy with a move.

"They will move him in a heartbeat if they could," one rival team executive said. "I don't think the coaches are that high on him. You have to get something for him now because the longer he sits, the more people think he can't play."

Lakers should go after Love and Williams for Pau and Jordan Hill. Ideally, just Love for a trade exception, but the TWolves want to unload DWilliams so getting them both is more likely. Dec. 15th is the magic day for trading newly-signed guys, so the flurry begins then.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Re: Should the Lakers trade Pau for DWillie and Love?

Postby Greatest of All Time on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:54 pm

Hello no Derrick Williams. Hell yes to Love, Millsap, and Varejao.
Greatest of All Time

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:59 pm

In a heartbeat, but is Minny that incompetent? I don't think they're, but we've seen crazier s*** happen.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby hollywood swinger on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:16 pm

i would bet my left nut that mitch is locked and loaded on trying to hit t'wolves with a Gasol for a disgruntled k. love trade as we speak. that would go down in a second but if only t'wolves were that dumb to hand us a championship.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:21 pm

If we could get Pau for Love I'd be willing to downgrade Hill to Dwill2.. That trade isn't nearly as lopsided as it seems due to Pau having terrible value right now.. Rubio seems to really want to play with Pau.. If you're getting rid of your disgruntled superstar, an allstar replacement that seemingly would develop great chemistry with the team.. Pau is a good piece for them. Love is a top 5-10 player but he would be option 2b with Dwight on this team. I think Dwill2 is a complete bust but athletically he's seemingly a good fit for this team. Maybe Nash could help him. If Kahn is stupid enough to go for it we can't say no. Other players I think would work out for us are Millsap & a package of Parsons/Patterson/athletes from Houston.
lakersin4

Postby LooN3y on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:43 pm

hollywood swinger wrote:i would bet my left nut that mitch is locked and loaded on trying to hit t'wolves with a Gasol for a disgruntled k. love trade as we speak. that would go down in a second but if only t'wolves were that dumb to hand us a championship.

wasnt that the same thing we all said when we got nash and dwight? and kept pau?

with how things are going, i wouldnt be too optimistic to say that if the trade goes through.

does k.love want to come here? does dwight want klove to come here?

theres not enough ball to go around. and its not like they're going to be playing completely unselfish basketball.

k.love is not going to be a pau when it comes to touches and points.

and whats gonna happen when klove is gonan start chucking and missing?

we're just gonna space the floor and let dwight just handle stuff in the paint, and hopefully make every 3 pointer we get?

i dont know im a pro-pau so theres my explanation.
LooN3y

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:46 pm

No.

Minny would probably hang up upon mention of Love :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Finwë on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:00 am

:man10:
NO WAY Minny gives us Love for Pau. Forget about Williams, like kareem33 said, they hang up as soon as we say "Love" in any trade talk about Gasol.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Tragic on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:14 am

Yes but I doubt it happens OP.
Tragic

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:17 am

LooN3y wrote:
hollywood swinger wrote:i would bet my left nut that mitch is locked and loaded on trying to hit t'wolves with a Gasol for a disgruntled k. love trade as we speak. that would go down in a second but if only t'wolves were that dumb to hand us a championship.

wasnt that the same thing we all said when we got nash and dwight? and kept pau?

with how things are going, i wouldnt be too optimistic to say that if the trade goes through.

does k.love want to come here? does dwight want klove to come here?

theres not enough ball to go around. and its not like they're going to be playing completely unselfish basketball.

k.love is not going to be a pau when it comes to touches and points.

and whats gonna happen when klove is gonan start chucking and missing?

we're just gonna space the floor and let dwight just handle stuff in the paint, and hopefully make every 3 pointer we get?

i dont know im a pro-pau so theres my explanation.

:man3: my friend trust me K. Love >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pau
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:48 am

Well it's certainly not immanent, but you never know with Mitch. Minny might still want to pair Gasol with Rubio, and they know that Love is unhappy. And they may not be able to get rid of DWillie without packaging him with someone attractive.

Still probably pipe, but we'll see what transpires in the next couple of months.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby purp n gold on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:18 am

I've ridiculed any mention of Derrick Williams in Pau trades... I have nothing against him, just being a center piece for a Pau deal. He is what he is, and if we got him as a throw in for Love that would be amazing value.

If this has legs, the only question to ask is, "is Minny that stupid?"
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Center Court on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:36 am

you're wasting your own time thinking about Love for Pau
Center Court

Postby therealdeal on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:24 am

Well we're wasting our time posting on a forum about the Lakers every day. What's so different? :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby cthroatgtr on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:31 am

I believe Pau is only suitable at C at this point in his career so yeah, I would definitely trade him straight up for Love. Not going to happen but would definitely do it.
cthroatgtr

Postby Punk-101 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:57 am

No way in hell Minn gives up Love for Pau.

Just how desperate are they though to pair Pau with Rubio?

I think this trade is extremely lopsided in our favor, but maybe Minn considers if they want Pau so badly:

Pau/Blake/Ebanks

for

AK47/Dwill/Pek/Barea

That makes us a VERY deep and balanced team, esp in the MDA offense.

Nash/Barea
Kobe/Meeks
AK47/MWP
Dwill/Jamison
Howard/Pek

That makes Hill the odd man out, unfortunately. Package him with Morris, Clark, Duhon, or whatever junk for a decent draft pick. Or we can keep him to compete with Dwill for the PF spot with Jamison likely gone next year. We can also move Pek at the end of the year for a nice piece.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:20 am

Punk-101 wrote:No way in hell Minn gives up Love for Pau.

Just how desperate are they though to pair Pau with Rubio?

it's more about how much they seem to not love Love and Adelman loves Gasol. I agree it's the longest of shots, but where's there's smoke we might get Kevin Love. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:31 am

It was reported in the Pau thread if he doesn't pan out then the Lakers are going after a more athletic SF and depth for the bench. I don't even know if Kevin Love is on the table at this point. He may be disgruntled but that doesn't mean the T-Wolves are willing to trade him.

However, Kevin Love is the perfect PF for Howard. Younger than Pau, works hard, rebounds, and shoots lights out from the three-point line. He's ideally who you would want next to Howard for the next 5-10 years.

This is where I believe you need a 3rd team to make this happen. Minnesota is going to want another all-star caliber player back along with Pau and maybe other moving parts. We simply don't have the assets (besides Pau). If there was a third team involved ala Denver who could supply more depth and pieces this could work. It would involved a lot of moving parts, but it is possible...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby OX1947 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:38 am

while i would be happy with a Love for Pau trade, what does this do for Minnesota fans? You think Rubio would want to stay in Minny if you keep taking young all stars off. I dont know.
OX1947

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:49 am

I was opposed to it the last time around, but man, I'd do it in a heartbeat now. This only happens if Love continues to put a huge stink though, right? I think Love would be a good fit with D12. He's got the outside shooting, rebounding and hustle that would be kind of perfect. He's also a good passer. Not as good as Pau, but pretty good. He's got a lot of drive and competitiveness which would complement Kobe, Nash and Howard. Plus he's young.

I think Minny would have to have their back against the wall to do that deal but you never know. Love isn't going to stay from the sound of it.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:22 pm

Also we should try to swap Duhon & DJO for Rubio :jam2:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby borri on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:45 pm

LOL Kahn aint that dumb. Arguably the best PF in the game for an old Pau who's game is in rapid decline?

Face it, we aren't getting anything remotely good for Pau this year. Next year with his huge 20 mil expiring.......then we can talk.

Or just let everything go off the books in 2014 and make a run at Lebron.
borri

Postby Rooscooter on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:13 pm

Minn wants Pau to complete the Spanish duo that they see as a way to open new merchandise markets in Europe and South America. That's the top reason they want Pau.... it doesn't make sense on any other level if they trade Love and others for Pau.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
Rooscooter

Postby KB24 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:08 pm

Pipe

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby escobar8 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:18 pm

should...??? :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: in 0.0000000001 sec...
escobar8

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion