We sold championships for 3 million dollars.....

We sold championships for 3 million dollars.....

Postby Dragan on Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:27 am

When season began I sead we were not deep enough and that we have to sighn couple of veterans for veteran minimum in order to win again. My choice of playes were Willis, Jackson and Hardaway who were all sighned for minimum and all realy helped thear teams. But we decided to act cheap and cose of that lost out on the championship.

We could have sighned all 3 of tham for veteran minimum and if we did, we would win the championship. Dont you agree ?
Dragan

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:12 am

I agree. Buss just does not want to go over the salary cap afraid of the consequences. We're going to be in the same situation next year because of Shaq's extension. Its too bad the only thing we can offer free agents nowadays is promises but we all know that money talks. Have fun playing poker BUSS; spend a little of the money and get us some damn free agents!!!!! TIGHT WAD!!!
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:56 pm

See, players want money and Buss wants contribution. It's not all about the money if championships talk, u know? But in a sence, we didn't lose because our team wasn't deep enough, cuz that was the scenario in 02 when we beat the Kings in the WCF's. We lost because of the lack of time given to the players we do have, and we lost cuz we got outplayed by the better Spurs who became the champs.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Dragan on Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:33 pm

I am not saying we should have spent alot. Just veteran minimum any playoff team would spend to improve its chances. At the same time, we dont nead, and never did nead Madsen, Medvedenko or Murray.
Dragan

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:37 pm

But it was Slava who stepped up in tha SA series.... And Madsen who gave us energy on the court... Those two did contribute a lot... See when players get injured, others have a time to show what they're made of, and I'm proud of Slava for doin just that... He's more of a shooter, than a take it to the hole typa player... If he can learn to take it in strong, then we'll be better of, if we decide to keep him.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Dragan on Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:45 pm

Even I coached better playes than Slava and Madsen and I am no body in threams of coaching. Playing longside two best playes in the world can make you look good with averyone paying so mutch attention to those two. Bottom line, thay are both crap and Willis ( old as he is ) would eat tham alive.

You have mutch better young centers / power forwards here in Serbia. Just look at how many good players we produced lately. Lakers should come here and pick up a few kids rather than sighn stiffs like Madsen.
Dragan

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:52 pm

But maybe they aren't developed yet... Hey it took Devean 3 years to finally produce... In his 1st seasons he didn't even play that much, so that was a delay in showin his potential... Which he has clearly shown this season... We now depended on him... But that's the case in point I'm tryin to show u about Slava... because he really got yelled at a lot, and his confidence was down, it took injuries to other players for him to show a lil' light... He did great out there, and I know U seen it too... I like Madsen, cuz he gets into other players heads... U remember in tha 1st round, when Smith tackled Madsen head 1st into the hardwood... But what did Madsen do?? He just got up and walked away.. and continued to play the game... He's already mentally disaplined and he could get better and better...
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Dragan on Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:06 pm

Who would you rather play ? Players who are not developed YET or players who can not develop at all like Slava and Madsen.

It took George 3 years cose he never got a chance. Besides, I dont think he is all that good anyway. Just look at Ruben Patterson who was described as not good enough to play for the Lakers. That obviously was a mistake.

You have to realise Madsen and Slava look good cose opponents live tham alone and double on Shaq and Kobe. But make no mistake about it, thay have no future in the game.
Dragan

Postby The Old Schooler on Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:09 pm

LG03,

I understand what you are saying about those two players, but at the same time there is a point where you have to faces the facts. The Lakers need to trade Slava. Not because he is a bad player, but because he is not responding to the method of coaching the Lakers are bringing to the table. I believe L.A needs more than his offense, they need him on the defensive side. Like I said before he plays "D" like a Bull Fighter!

As far as Madsen, he is a hustler! There will always be a spot in the NBA for a guy llke (MAD DOG).
CONNECTED IN THE GAME SINCE 1980
The Old Schooler

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:47 pm

Patterson didn't get anytime, and not even a chance when he was with the Lakers... In Seattle he called himself the Kobe Stopper, and then he was with the Blazers... Patterson gives himself the confidence and motivation. But Ur right, Slava hasn't responded well with the coaching techniques... Devean is a hell of a player, and he shown what he's made of this last season. He played through injuries, and even had the most points for the lakers in a game vs the Suns towards the end of the season. Devean hustles on D, and crashes the boards, something I wish Slava could do. Mad Dogg has that inner fury, that's more than what he can accomplish on the court. Once he can learn to put the 2 together equally then he'll be great. Slava has no D, but I remember him havin some blocks on Duncan in the 2nd round.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:30 am

didn't we just sign Devean George to a 20 million dollar contract?
I guess you don't get much for 20 million nowadays

his 2003 stats:
(points- 6.9) (rebounds- 4) (assist- 1.3) (steals- .79) (blocks .54)

is that a stat of a great player?.... not to mention he is injury prone..
KOBE even got mad at him when he went out with an sprain ankle and KOBE told him to suck it up. He gets too many nick knack injuries it might be due to bad conditioning.
For 20 million fvcking dollars we could have signed someone this summer that would have helped us dramatically. I know with that money we could easily sign ARENAS. And we would still have money left over to sign PJ Brown and Juwan Howard along with Terry and Ratliff.
LG3, I know you like George. You think he's cute and all that but be honest. He is not very instrumental when we won the 3 championships. The first two Rings he was warming our benches and the third ring he showed up 2 games in the finals series. He is inconsistent and I think he cannot be the Scottie Pippen type player to KOBE. George should be on the trading block with his over paid butt and get someone who is more consistent, who shows up every game and can average in double figures in scoring!!!! 6.9 points and 4 rebounds for 20 million dollars?!!!! (this is his stats when the focus of the opposing defense is KOBE AND SHAQ!!!
GIVE ME A [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] BREAK!!!
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:54 am

I have to whole heartedly disagree with anyone that tries to sell me the bum line of Slava being anything but a great player in this league. One can't, on the one hand, knock players like Horace Grant because he is old, AC Green because he is small and Samaki Walker because he is inconsistent (at their various times with our team) and then on the other hand say that they (despite producing far less than slava alongside Shaq and Kobe) are better than Medvedenko. Slava, if he plays for the Lakers, will ALWAYS be playing alongside Shaq and Kobe, or at least for the next 3-6 seasons, so pointing out that he looks good because the opposing defense can't give him attention is a GREAT FUKIN' POINT and thank you for lobbying for him...I appreciate it. Mad Dog, Samaki and Rob all had more minutes and more priority than Slava and they did jack squat with it, and THEY were alongside Shaq and Kobe more often than Slava, who often mops up with the back ups in garbage time. Slava has starting potential written all over him and when DRAGAN gets to the NBA scouting and coaching level, then I might take his word on someone like Slava, whom I have supported since we signed him...
Snakell Beast

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:18 am

I can't understand why Phil never really gave SLAVA a chance to develope his game during the regular season. At least in the Playoffs Slava agve us a glimpse of his potential. I really think he fits in our offense because he can hit from the outside/can handle the ball/good passer. He might be our power forward of the future and we just don't know it yet. If he plays as well as he did in the playoffs this upcoming season then Phil would not be able to deny him the minutes. I hope he stays around long enough to be able to prove himself. Like I said in past post... Phil should experiment with him being in the SF spot. At the defensive end we could always help him out. Well thats just my take.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:54 am

Phil likes old veterans that play defense really well and know the triangle...Slava is 0 for 3 on that...so it isn't a surprise. But I think Phil realized that no matter whom we play @ PF, they will get abused defensively, so playing slava only increases our opportunity to close the difference gap for the position...and after all, points are the most important aspect of a game anyway, the rest are just stats...
Snakell Beast

Postby Dragan on Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:57 am

Slava IS a bad player. Take it from a coach. Besides, as you sey, he doesent fit. As far as Madsen is consearned, he is positive influence on the sidelines, but he is NOT someone who should play.

Regardless of what you mite think, Patterson is better player than ether Fox or George. He brings more to the teable than ether of tham. And would be a perfect fit for us.

Believe me, we could have goten better value for less money than we gave him. For exsample Jimmy Jackson is a better player and we could have goten him for mutch less. Aldough understandebly we wanted to keep George cose he is the only young talent that we have. Sadly as it is.

Slava is lost inbetvean positions. He is small forward locked in power forward body. And the bad thing is, you cant get PF toughness or SF creativity out of him. But I rest my case. I dont wanna argue the point any more. If you like Slava that mutch, take him home.
Dragan

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:44 pm

Players are never gonna be great players unless they get time. Slava plays alongside our big 2, so he's obviously not gonna get the ball, unless he works on his D. But he's expected to knock down all the shots he takes, cuz most of our shots go to our 2 big men, and that's not a right percentage for our other players... If they aren't gettin equal opportunities, then they aren't gonna get any better... I know they should work all their problems out in practice. But real life scenarios are the key. And I'm glad Slava stepped up big for us in tha SA series.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:24 pm

Well, you can believe what you want about Slava, but for a 24 year old that has played about 20 games worth of starting minutes combined over his first three seasons, he seemed pretty polished and unflappable offensively, and he did block Duncan twice and strip him half a dozen times, in about 35 minutes of play...not to mention he (along with Kobe) was among the only players keeping us in games 5 and 6. Popovich actually caled out the SA players to guard Slava and he still scored just as many as he did and shot just as well. You can argue with that, but your argument seems to lose a bit of legitimacy (at least in my eyes) when this so called "bad" player shines in the toughest of times the dynasty has ever faced. He was as impressive as any player (outside of Shaq or Kobe) was against San Antonio and when given an opportunity, he could repeat those performances quite easily. Oh, and he is 6'10 and DOES rebound well...so even if he plays defense a little too physically and is somewhat of a soft inside shot blocker, he can work on that if we give him time. Do you remember how unimpressive your boy patterson was at first, we made the right decision at the time to dump him, he happened to work on his game and now it looks like a mistake, much like the situation with Ricky Williams in the NFL. If we give Slava tie, he can bulk up, add to his conditioning and get more accustomed to NBA STYLE defense...He is only 24 for god's sake and Power Forwards are big projects anyway...look how long it has taken Zydrunas Ilgauskas to develop, but now he is a solid all around center...Slava is like the Power Forward version, only he is a much better shooter...and he DOES fit into our offense. The smoothest our offense looked against San Antonio was in the first half of game 6, when Shaq and Kobe (along with Slava) were making a small run to close the half...everyhting was spaced and the offense was flowing, and it was due to Slava's ability to hit on 50% of his shots with regularity...
Snakell Beast

:

Postby JSM on Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:29 pm

I don't see how some can think this guy is no good. Yes, he lacks the bulk needed to do something as a power forward besides score. He is not the most familiar Laker with the triangle offense. And could improve defensively. And he needs work, he's not what we need on our starting line up next season. And if a trade between the Hawks and Lakers required that we have to depart with Slava as part of the deal to get Theo and Terry then I would trade him there in a heart beat. And with that said, I can also state: unless mandatory for a trade that he leaves, I say we try and keep this guy around. He was one of the very few Lakers that did well in the SA series. HE stepped up when we needed him to and surprised a lot of people with performance, making shot after shot. He is no where near great; but with work, polishing up a couple parts of his game, and some playing time given to him by Phil; then I believe he could prove to be a valuable asset to the Lakers in years to come. It takes most players a few years before they can make an impact and make a difference, because they have to get familiar with and adjusted to everything. Not many player, unless they are a tremendous superstar can make a huge impact much sooner.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:58 pm

Well, if you think about it, not many players (including superstars) can come in with the small amount of experience that Slava has had and make the kind of difference he made in as important a game and situation as it was. He really amazed me, and he made me feel like I was finally justified for sticking with him these past three seasons. He will probably never be Jermaine O'neal or Chris Webber, but he could very easily be a Rasheed Wallace (18ppg) type scorer by 30 (6 seasons) if we give him the time and development. Every good player needs someone at some point in their career to look past some of their less attractive qualities and see the positives...and there are plenty with Slava. He is not a good shot blocker, I'll give you that. Even though he blocked Duncan twice, Ginobili and Bowen one, he isn't good yet, but I feel that is only due to lack of experience and game rythm. He is also not great at staying OFF of his man defensively and can get into foul trouble, but Zydrunas had that problem for a while and he worked on it. Now he is all-star caliber an Slava has the same potential. Slava's good points are very attractive, he scores well under pressure, he can rebound well, he can drive the baseline (something many guards can't do well), he can pass well on the run and can improve his offensive flow as he actually gets experience IN IT and he can certainly shoot with the best of them. He has amazing touch and the only shot he needs to work on is his hook...everything else (including his drop shot) are excellent...
Snakell Beast

Return to Lakers Discussion