Solutions To Our Problems

Solutions To Our Problems

Postby BDG on Wed May 14, 2003 2:00 pm

I think if we make three changes, the Lakers should be in good shape. We've been having a lot of trouble, especially in our frontcourt. We played an amazing second half, were within a milimeter away from victory and closed out the game with a 41-18 lineup using this strategy.

First off, I would like to say that there honestly is no one in the league that can stop Kobe. Bruce Bowen may have given Kobe a tough time early in the series, but that still didn't and won't stop him from destroying the Spurs defense. The main thing that Kobe needs to do is PENETRATE. Bowen isn't nearly as fast as Kobe and can't keep up with his speed. By penetrating, we will get Duncan and their frontcourt in foul trouble, get freethrow attempts, and free up other players. Kobe needs to orchestrate the offense, because he helps the game of other Lakers when on the floor. If we have any hope of defeating the Spurs, Kobe Bryant is the guy that can provide it. However, we have to have a third scorer in order to do this. At the same time, I think we may have found one from last night's game.

Slava Medvedenko needs to get more minutes on the floor. He is a sleeping scoring weapon from mid-range. When he's scoring, Duncan now has to worry about playing offense AND defense, which threw his game off in the second half. Slava can provide a third offensive option, especially for when we can't get the ball to Shaq and Kobe has to try and bail the Lakers out with 6 seconds on the shot clock. Many have had their doubts about Slava's defensive abilities, but from watching Game 5, I saw him do a better job than anyone but Shaq at holding Duncan down.

This brings me to my next point, we need to have Shaq play Duncan. Shaq is much too large, indimidating, and physical for Duncan do deal with. Shaq also can match up with him in height and force Duncan to change his shot. By having Shaq on Duncan, we won't have to worry about double teaming him; therefore, each man can concentrate on a particular defensive assignment.

This way, Tony Parker can't penetrate into the lane, because he'll always have a guy on him. Jannero Pargo is he man that we need to guard him. He might be a young, unexperienced rookie, but he's speedy and can keep up with Parker. In the 2nd half, he had a tough time getting buckets with Pargo squaring up on him. Remember, he's T*ny Parker (no Outside jumper), so if he can't penetrate%2loor. He is a sleeping scoring weapon from mid-range. When he's scoring, Duncan now has to worry about playing offense AND defense, which threw his game off in the second half. Slava can provide a third offensive option, especially for when we can't get the ball to Shaq and Kobe has to try and bail the Lakers out with 6 seconds on the shot clock. Many have had their doubts about Slava's defensive abilities, but from watching Game 5, I saw him do a better job than anyone but Shaq at holding Duncan down.

This brings me to my next point, we need to have Shaq play Duncan. Shaq is much too large, indimidating, and physical for Duncan do deal with. Shaq also can match up with him in height and force Duncan to change his shot. By having Shaq on Duncan, we won't have to worry about double teaming him; therefore, each man can concentrate on a particular defensive assignment.

This way, Tony Parker can't penetrate into the lane, because he'll always have a guy on him. Jannero Pargo is he man that we need to guard him. He might be a young, unexperienced rookie, but he's speedy and can keep up with Parker. In the 2nd half, he had a tough time getting buckets with Pargo squaring up on him. Remember, he's T*ny Parker (no Outside jumper), so if he can't penetrate, he shouldn't be a factor.

Last, but definitely not least is the fact that if we come out agressive to START the game, we wouldn't be playing catch-up later. The only game I have seen the Lakers dominate from start to finish was Game 3, because we came out aggressive early and took the life away from the Spurs.

I still have not given up hope. Just like we all didn't give up hope that the Lakers would surge back last night. Lakers in seven.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Wed May 14, 2003 3:44 pm

YEA!! Starting off is the key for us winning the next couple of games... We seem to do good, but the SA just over powers us in the first minutes... The Lakers shouldn't depend on the refs givin them the calls they want, cuz it just aint gonna happen... They've been complainin, and well that's not workin, cuz the refs dont wanna hear it. They gotta have the desire to knock down shots, even when they're fouled!! :bang:
LakersGyrl2003

Return to Lakers Discussion