Sources: Fisher free to return to Lakers now

Re: Sources: Fisher free to return to Lakers now

Postby kray28 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:07 am

Mixed feelings here...even as one of his biggest critics.

The question is, does he help the second unit any more than Blake might? Defensively, it's a no. Offensively..depends if his shot is working (which isn't all that often). Passing...erm, no.

Leadership wise...that's the intangible he brings. We could use that.
kray28

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:10 am

Nash/Blake/Duhon <<< Nash/Fisher/DJO

Fish for his veteran savvy that can help lead a now leaderless bench squad and you know he will show up in the playoffs a la Horry.... and then DJO who shows he can clearly score and can help in defending smaller faster PGs.

I'm totally okay with Blake, Duhon, Morris and Clark going outbound to open up space for Sacre, CDR, DJO and even Fish (or maybe even a Gilbert Arenas for his Princeton exposure under Coach Jordan in Washington :man12: ).
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:16 am

lakerswiz wrote:There is no reason for Derek Fisher to be a player on the Los Angeles Lakers. It would be a waste of a roster spot.

I see where you and everyone else is coming from, but I disagree.

Having a true professional in the locker room who's got great familiarity with the franchise, Kobe, the city, and winning is always a BIG plus.

How in the hell that's a waste of a roster spot is beyond me. Morris, Duhon, gl0ck, Clark... those are wasted roster spots. It' not like we're 15 deep and we'd have to cut someone of value to bring him on.

Would I want him as the primary backup? No. To be honest, i would not. I think the perfect pg backing up Nash would be young, quick, athletic, can attack the basket, and defend at a good level. Clearly that is not Fish but it's never been Fish His locker room presence, savvy, and experience would be worth the roster spot. Any contributions above that would be an added bonus.

Kobe, Nash, Fisher, Jamison, Pau... that's a very savvy and classy veteran group.

I guess I'm just not sure why people would opposed to replacing that absolutely waste of talents that sit on the end of our bench. At least Fisher can be a backbone of this team.
Center Court

Postby kray28 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:17 am

Veteran saavy with very little actual ability to produce on the court leaves us where though?
kray28

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:25 am

lakerswiz wrote:There is no reason for Derek Fisher to be a player on the Los Angeles Lakers. It would be a waste of a roster spot.

Yep, sounds harsh, but if you're going to waste a spot, it should be on a young player who with a little luck may turn into a halfway decent role player, not a guy who should have called it quits atleast a year ago.

Ironically its the fact that D-Fish is such a great, respectable guy why I dont want him back. 95% of the board was moaning about his play last season, as Weezy said people even preferred to give Morris The Terrible a shot over Fish, and now, some people would welcome him back.

If fans have a tough time saying no to the guy, imagine the guys on this team who actually know him. I have a strong feeling (I think "fear" would be a better word actually) that Fish would wind up getting meaningful minutes if he were to return, just based on him being D. Fish.

Still blows my mind that he strolled into OKC and got about 21mpg in the regular season/playoffs (atleast they didn't even think twice about letting him walk though).

Time to move on.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:27 am

Veteran savvy stops mattering when you just don't have physical ability anymore. Clearly he's in shape for his age, that's not what I mean, I mean he can't shoot anymore, and he can't play defense, he should retire, not join our bench. Veteran savvy and locker room leadership stopped carrying Fish after the 2010 championship season, time caught up with him, it happens, we can do better, I'd even rather stick with Blake.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:41 am

I respectfully disagree you guys. The fact that Fish takes care of his body is one reason he would be great off the bench, cause he's only there to spell minutes for Nash. Alot of people complained why Fish was our starting PG and had starting PG type minutes. But Fish in for about 15 per night is something that is entirely plausible cause Nash can easily take on about 30 minutes per. Less minutes for Fish put him within a capacity to go full steam ahead and should make up for his diminished physical talents. I like Fish cause he has great chemistry and familiarity with the organization. He is a great leader off and on the court, which our bench clearly does not have (with Jamison being the closest one to lead that group). He can also mentor guys like DJO (who will take minutes away from Fish if the opposing PG is smaller and quicker). All grounds are pretty much covered with a rotation of Nash/Fish/DJO. Its not ideal, but with our super team roster, that is more than enough.

Don't get it twisted you guys...Fish needs to retire and I'm not arguing against that. But as of right now if you gave me Duhon and Blake, I still choose Fish over them as a bench leader and if Mitch can shed that type of salary, Fish for the vet min is a great alternative with a young athletic guard in DJO rounding out our very old, yet very capable PG rotation.

However, I still think that bringing in a guy like Arenas would be the best case scenario for us.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:49 am

No Thanks to Fisher

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:51 am

Fish for 15 minutes, Fish for 1 minute, doesn't matter, it'll most likely be garbage play. Sorry, again I love the guy for all he's done for us, but he was garbage here, almost every single game, he was killing us when he was on the floor, producing nothing, not making shots, not getting others shots, not playing D, nothing. I'll just say this, if he still had something left, if he valuable veteran leadership, if he was a valuable bench PG, then why didn't the Thunder keep him? They have him a shot, he didn't deliver, even his clutch ability was seemingly missing, he needs to hang em up. Again, we can do better, a trade, a cheap signing, I don't know from where, but I know we can do better.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:54 am

Blake was getting just about as many minutes last year as Fish (23.3 vs 25.6). So Blake was more of a pseudo starter than a true bench guy.

We've all seen the numbers... Fish had more of a positive effect on the court than Blake did in roughly the same amount of minutes. Right now, Fish is a better back up than Blake is. If you move Blake out to bring in Fish, you're bringing in a better replacement at that position.

Lastly, I still maintain that Arenas would be a better alternative and never once have I alluded to Fish taking a roster spot over guys like CDR, Sacre, and DJO. I would however take Fish over Morris, Blake, Duhon, Clark and put Glock on the bubble.

Agree to disagree.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Psychobroker on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:58 am

No no no. There's simply no need for Fish anymore.

Leadership = Nash/Kobe/Pau
Clutch = Kobe/Nash
Lockeroom = Nash/Dwight
Terrible shot selection and bricked layups = Metta :man10:
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:02 am

Fish played with the starters though, so I'd expect at least slightly better results. We can agree to disagree though, because honestly Fisher isn't even worth this much debate, we all saw how bad he was with our own eyes last season as we were all tearing our hair out watching him.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Psychobroker on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:05 am

Fisher with the second team would give us even MORE Fisher chucking. No thanks.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:07 am

^^^Well in that case, Fish also played against better opposition too, while Blake had more minutes against a lesser talented PG. It goes both ways.

If we can replace Blake with Fish...cool. If not...cool. My only concern is that you bring in a guy that can effectively spell minutes for Nash and lead a bench squad effectively so that they don't squander a lead. Even with similar numbers between Blake and Fish...Fish has shown he can stay on the floor even though he is much older and Fish has the leadership intangibles that Blake can only dream of. Lastly, you take in the salary factor where Fish would be had for the vet min and IMHO the choice between the two isn't even close.

I'm just thankful that this type of "problem" is so low on the priority scale this year as opposed to last year...and thank God for that!

I respect the opinion that fans don't want Fish back and completely understand their argument. But myself, I would rather have Fish than Blake/Duhon here. No question.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Laker Link on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:08 am

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fish can help coach and be a back-up to when Nash goes down. Keep Blake if you want, he can start ahead of Fisher if needed....who cares.

But Fish there to help Kobe out those moments Nash is tired, ANY DAY OF THE WEEK BOY....I'M TAKIN THAT.

I'd take him to be the Kapono of this season (as in the 3-point man) and to pass the ball to Kobe and Pau and Dwight.

You don't need him to do everything like he did before, just a feeder and a 3-point guy from time to time.

Like I said, if you can dump people, minus Blake, and then add Fisher......I say do it. If Blake is better then he can be on the court more, just keep Fisher there to feed and occasional 3 and help and to coach the young kids and help them out. He could be a complete role model. PLEASE!!!!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by The Laker Link on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Laker Link

Postby kenzo on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:09 am

I was 100% sure we would never argue about Fisher here again. Old fart does not give up i guess :man9: Retire damn it.
kenzo

Postby venky on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:29 am

We have Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant. I think we're fine on the veteran leadership part. Sorry Fish, but your time is up.
venky

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:32 am

karacha wrote:Nash
Blake

Fisher over Morris in very limited minutes.

This. I really don't agree with Fisher being any worse than Duhon or Morris at this point. For all of his limitations at Fisher understands half of them. Morris doesn't even do that. Fisher shoots better, he's smarter, he's actually an equal passer which is frightening.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:35 am

Weezy wrote:Fish for 15 minutes, Fish for 1 minute, doesn't matter, it'll most likely be garbage play. Sorry, again I love the guy for all he's done for us, but he was garbage here, almost every single game, he was killing us when he was on the floor, producing nothing, not making shots, not getting others shots, not playing D, nothing. I'll just say this, if he still had something left, if he valuable veteran leadership, if he was a valuable bench PG, then why didn't the Thunder keep him? They have him a shot, he didn't deliver, even his clutch ability was seemingly missing, he needs to hang em up. Again, we can do better, a trade, a cheap signing, I don't know from where, but I know we can do better.

Do you pick Fisher over Morris? That's where my argument comes into play.

I know we're shopping Duhon AND Blake, but I'm hopeful that Blake stays and that Fisher is the THIRD PG, not 2nd. I don't want him playing significant minutes, but having him over Duhon and Morris seems like a no brainer yes to me. Those guys are worse and that should be frightening.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:04 pm

Yes Fisher is better than Morris, but is still rather try to find a better 3rd PG, or really a better backup PG, hopefully Barbosa is still a possibility. Fish is better than Morris no question, but I still don't want either guy, Fish might come here as a 3rd PG, but you just know he's start to find more minutes than he deserves with Potato Head coaching.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersStan24 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:26 pm

Great News! D Fish can still hit important Game Winners as shown last season and is still a Great Leader and can still get 5 to 6 ppg and He could get 10 to 12 in a game when needed
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:33 pm

Weezy wrote:Yes Fisher is better than Morris, but is still rather try to find a better 3rd PG, or really a better backup PG, hopefully Barbosa is still a possibility. Fish is better than Morris no question, but I still don't want either guy, Fish might come here as a 3rd PG, but you just know he's start to find more minutes than he deserves with Potato Head coaching.

Yeah I wouldn't want him unless we had a legitimate #2 option that really can't be replaced. I was against Barbosa before, but after watching our bench we need a guy who can create for himself and cause defenses to collapse. I like what I've seen from Blake so far, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

If we brought in Barbosa first, then Fisher is a legitimate option for the 3rd string PG. I definitely do NOT want him as the 2nd string PG.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:48 pm

Weezy wrote:Yes Fisher is better than Morris, but is still rather try to find a better 3rd PG, or really a better backup PG, hopefully Barbosa is still a possibility. Fish is better than Morris no question, but I still don't want either guy, Fish might come here as a 3rd PG, but you just know he's start to find more minutes than he deserves with Potato Head coaching.

We're not finding a better 3rd PG..

I agree with most of what Vashashi said.

Fisher should be splitting the backup PG minutes with Blake, that would be GREAT.
Fisher >>>> Morris/Duhon, no doubt in my mind. The arguments have already been presented.

I'd have no problems with a PG rotation of Nash/Blake/Fisher, at all.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby LakerFanIam on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:55 pm

Not sure how Fish solves any issues we have on our bench... We need a young, quick PG that can either shoot the long ball or defend well... I love DFish, but he doesn't fill any of those needs.
LakerFanIam

Postby kenzo on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:57 pm

Finwë wrote:

We're not finding a better 3rd PG..

I agree with most of what Vashashi said.

Fisher should be splitting the backup PG minutes with Blake, that would be GREAT.
Fisher >>>> Morris/Duhon, no doubt in my mind. The arguments have already been presented.

I'd have no problems with a PG rotation of Nash/Blake/Fisher, at all.

I would :freak2:
kenzo

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion