Sources: Fisher free to return to Lakers now

Re: Sources: Fisher free to return to Lakers now

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Wouldn't mind Fish back as a 3rd string point guard, but I definitely won't want him being the primary backup to Nash.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Whatthef? on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:29 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Whatthef?

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:37 pm

kenzo wrote:
Finwë wrote:
Weezy wrote:Yes Fisher is better than Morris, but is still rather try to find a better 3rd PG, or really a better backup PG, hopefully Barbosa is still a possibility. Fish is better than Morris no question, but I still don't want either guy, Fish might come here as a 3rd PG, but you just know he's start to find more minutes than he deserves with Potato Head coaching.

We're not finding a better 3rd PG..

I agree with most of what Vashashi said.

Fisher should be splitting the backup PG minutes with Blake, that would be GREAT.
Fisher >>>> Morris/Duhon, no doubt in my mind. The arguments have already been presented.

I'd have no problems with a PG rotation of Nash/Blake/Fisher, at all.

I would :freak2:

You can't have a HOF-studded starting lineup AND an amazingly balanced & deep bench.. It just doesn't add up, especially under the new CBA.

After Mitch got Nash & Howard, signed Jamison & Meeks, re-signed Hill & Ebanks, drafted Sacre and signed promising guys like CDR, it pretty much stopped being about the roster's level of talent. On paper, we're already the team to beat IMO. Talent-wise this roster is as good as it gets, it shouldn't be a concern. It's now a matter of meshing, having guys play as a team, leadership, coming through in the clutch, working and playing and being prepared. It seems pretty obvious that, in that sense, Fisher, who would play very LIMITED minutes btw -he'd play the Morris/Duhon role-, would be an amazing piece, and a cheap one.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Alcindor on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:49 pm

No No No.

We would literally have the largest pack of worthless PGs (after Nash) ever assembled.

The thing on Fish is he's clutch and brings leadership but is a liability in every other respect, we have Nash, last I checked I'd rather have him take the last shot over Fish. Nash also needs space to be a leader on this team, this could actually hamper that.

Thanks Fish for the good years but it's time to take the car keys away from Grandpa before innocent people get hurt. I am certain the FO has no intention of signing him.
Alcindor

Postby kenzo on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Finwë wrote:
kenzo wrote:
Finwë wrote:
Weezy wrote:Yes Fisher is better than Morris, but is still rather try to find a better 3rd PG, or really a better backup PG, hopefully Barbosa is still a possibility. Fish is better than Morris no question, but I still don't want either guy, Fish might come here as a 3rd PG, but you just know he's start to find more minutes than he deserves with Potato Head coaching.

We're not finding a better 3rd PG..

I agree with most of what Vashashi said.

Fisher should be splitting the backup PG minutes with Blake, that would be GREAT.
Fisher >>>> Morris/Duhon, no doubt in my mind. The arguments have already been presented.

I'd have no problems with a PG rotation of Nash/Blake/Fisher, at all.

I would :freak2:

You can't have a HOF-studded starting lineup AND an amazingly balanced & deep bench.. It just doesn't add up, especially under the new CBA.

After Mitch got Nash & Howard, signed Jamison & Meeks, re-signed Hill & Ebanks, drafted Sacre and signed promising guys like CDR, it pretty much stopped being about the roster's level of talent. On paper, we're already the team to beat IMO. Talent-wise this roster is as good as it gets, it shouldn't be a concern. It's now a matter of meshing, having guys play as a team, leadership, coming through in the clutch, working and playing and being prepared. It seems pretty obvious that, in that sense, Fisher, who would play very LIMITED minutes btw -he'd play the Morris/Duhon role-, would be an amazing piece, and a cheap one.

Dude. There's only one PG in the entire NBA, that is worse than Fish... Morris. No way we can have those two on this team. PERIOD (Blake is not much better either).
kenzo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:59 pm

^ He wrote in the post: the idea is to get rid of Duhon/Morris. It's not to ADD Fisher, it's to REPLACE Duhon/Morris.

The rotation is not Nash/Blake/Duhon/Fisher/Morris. The rotation is Nash/Blake/Fisher. Or even better, Nash/Barbosa/Fisher.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Thenextgreat on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:59 pm

I think it's safe to say alot are worried about the back up point ...That's my main worry..that's why I wouldn't mind Fish coming back...sorta like an insurance policy but at the same time I wouldn't want him as a primary back up as many have stated.
Thenextgreat

Postby kenzo on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:03 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ He wrote in the post: the idea is to get rid of Duhon/Morris. It's not to ADD Fisher, it's to REPLACE Duhon/Morris.

The rotation is not Nash/Blake/Duhon/Fisher/Morris. The rotation is Nash/Blake/Fisher. Or even better, Nash/Barbosa/Fisher.

And how do we get rid of Blake/Duhon? I know about the wand and stuff. If we can get rid of those two and get barbosa, we don't need Fisher.
kenzo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:05 pm

kenzo wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ He wrote in the post: the idea is to get rid of Duhon/Morris. It's not to ADD Fisher, it's to REPLACE Duhon/Morris.

And how do we get rid of Blake/Duhon? I know about the wand and stuff. If we can get rid of those two and get barbosa, we don't need Fisher.

Sell them for nothing. They become valuable expiring contracts next season. If we can find a team with cap space we can trade them these guys for something like a protected draft pick (meaning it could go back to the other team) just to open space. Whatever the case is, reports are coming out that Blake/Duhon are being shopped.

If we trade those guys and cut Morris, we bring in Barbosa and then Fisher is the 3rd string PG providing depth.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:10 pm

I don't even think it is possible to sell them for nothing...we'd literally have to pay someone to take them off our hands.

To be fair to Blake though...I think he's worth more to us on the squad. He's still a serviceable player. That means he'll have bad games, but he'll also have good ones.
kray28

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:21 pm

^ Send them to Houston for some of their PFs then cut the PFs. Give them whatever 2nd rounders we have and are able to trade.

Or trade them to Washington and get Ariza back.

Or trade Blake to Portland and Duhon to whoever wants 3.5 million off their books next season.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:24 pm

If we dump Duhon or Blake somehow, then sure. I'd like Fish on this team just for his locker room presence. If it doesn't work out, then I'm fine with that too.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Dyeggoo on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:25 pm

Fish is my favourite player ever but still I don't want him on the team. However having him as an assistant to Potatohead would be nice. He'd do fine as an assistant coach, I think.
Dyeggoo

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:25 pm

kenzo wrote:Dude. There's only one PG in the entire NBA, that is worse than Fish... Morris. No way we can have those two on this team. PERIOD (Blake is not much better either).

Dude, even if adding Fisher while keeping Morris was what I suggested (which is not), like I said, IT'S NOT ABOUT TALENT. I don't know how I can explain it differently; when every player in your starting lineup has been an all-star (and 3 of them will be again this year), 2 of them have won MVPs, 2 of them (different than the MVP guys) have won DPOYs, and you have solid bench players like Jamison, Hill & Meeks, along with promisig guys like Sacre, Ebanks & CDR, and a not-that-bad Blake, the selection of your THIRD point guard is pretty meaningless talent-wise.

Those of us advocating Fisher as the THIRD pg (after Nash and Blake, or like realdeal said, better after Nash & Barbosa) are doing so thinking about what he brings to the table that Morris/Duhon (who would leave) don't AT ALL, and it happens to be help in particular variables that will end up defining the team's success IMO: leadership, chemistry, effort & hustle, toughness, readiness & preparation.
From a VERY limited role minute-wise , Fisher could provide A LOT more than other PGs. It's not about the 3rd PG's statistical on court production, it's about how he can help the team overall. Most PGs that would be willing to play less than 10 minutes a game wouldn't be able to provide much. But that's the difference with Fish, that's why I want him -> even if he's playing 8 minutes a game and statistically as an individual isn't giving us much, he's STILL an amazing lockeroom guy, he's STILL a great leader, he's STILL a role model effort-wise for our young guys, and therefore, he's STILL helpful. Having Fish as our 3rd PG would be a great move IMO, and I think the FO agrees, unless all the rumors are just stemming from sheer speculation.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby kenzo on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:36 pm

^ But we already have all this. With MB at the helm, watch Fish get some mins at SG :freak2:
kenzo

Postby PJ for 10 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:43 pm

If we can clear out Duhon, Morris, or Blake, then I am up for it. However, first I think we should check into other players that bring more speed, such as Barbosa.
KOBE will stay
PJ for 10

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:47 pm

kenzo wrote:^ But we already have all this. With MB at the helm, watch Fish get some mins at SG :freak2:

We don't need a talent injection from the third PG who will play little to no minutes, but we could use a lockeroom guy who's a role model and a leader (even though we have some of them already, as you pointed out), right?

Regarding Brown's rotations, he said he'd play Meeks and Ebanks at the 2. Some hinted he'd also play Blake at the 2 for some stretches. There are simply not enough minutes for him to play Fish at the 2 as well...
That's not even taking into account that Goudelock might still be on the team, or that CDR might play some 2 as well.. No way Brown would play Fisher at the 2.
Finwë

Postby kenzo on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:54 pm

Finwë wrote:
kenzo wrote:^ But we already have all this. With MB at the helm, watch Fish get some mins at SG :freak2:

We don't need a talent injection from the third PG who will play little to no minutes, but we could use a lockeroom guy who's a role model and a leader (even though we have some of them already, as you pointed out), right?

Regarding Brown's rotations, he said he'd play Meeks and Ebanks at the 2. Some hinted he'd also play Blake at the 2 for some stretches. There are simply not enough minutes for him to play Fish at the 2 as well...
That's not even taking into account that Goudelock might still be on the team, or that CDR might play some 2 as well.. No way Brown would play Fisher at the 2.

I hope You are right about Fish playing little to no minutes. Im afraid, that if we get him, we'll play 4 on 5 for 15+ mins a night.
kenzo

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Playing devil's advocate and being a long time Fish fan and caring less about Duhon and Morris..... last year on Lakers we had Potato Head bring in his new "WTF" offense, which did though require a traditional 1 with point guard skills. Fish winds up in OKC and they also have an offense requiring those same traditional skills. Like Kobe in the Olympics, both of them were often relegated to standing in the corners.

This year, especially with 2nd string, spelling our amazing traditional PG Nash, Fish "could" provide that needed steadying on the court infulence in "limited" minutes and very much help run the Princeton for them, vs a lot of P&R for 1st string, since the Princeton is similar to the Triangle. He's always in great shape and durable as an insurance player and I think he shoots better in that scenario than last year with Lakers and OKC.

Fish is physical enough to bang and fight with the screens being set against us, unlike anyone else on the squad at the 1 except maybe DJO. But then I would not know in that regard about DJO, only have read others' reports, since I have no EFFING Lakers TV yet. :mad1: :bang:
LTLakerFan

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:01 pm

therealdeal wrote:
kenzo wrote:

Sell them for nothing. They become valuable expiring contracts next season. If we can find a team with cap space we can trade them these guys for something like a protected draft pick (meaning it could go back to the other team) just to open space. Whatever the case is, reports are coming out that Blake/Duhon are being shopped.

If we trade those guys and cut Morris, we bring in Barbosa and then Fisher is the 3rd string PG providing depth.

If Mitch could magic-wand Blake and Duhon and we cut Morris, I'd much rather give roster spots and time to Barbosa as the backup and DJO, CDR, and Sacre as 3rd stringers. No no, NO to Fish.
Last edited by Punk-101 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby kenzo on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Only time Fish fights through the screens is when he wants to flop. Rewatch some old games guys, c'mon now.
kenzo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:08 pm

Punk-101 wrote:If Mitch could magic-wand Blake and Duhon and we cut Morris, I'd much rather give roster spots and time to Barbosa as the backup and DJO, CDR, and Sacre as 3rd stringers. No no, NO to Fish.

Nash/Barbosa/Fisher
Bryant/Meeks/Johnson-Odom
Peace/Ebanks/Douglas-Roberts
Gasol/Jamison/Clark
Howard/Hill/Sacre
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:12 pm

kenzo wrote:
Finwë wrote:

I hope You are right about Fish playing little to no minutes. Im afraid, that if we get him, we'll play 4 on 5 for 15+ mins a night.

I wouldn't be advocating Fisher coming here if I thought he'd play more than 10 minutes a game, if that. I still want Blake (or Barbosa) to be the first backup to Nash.

BTW, we seem to have left DJO out of the conversation. IMO Brown should give the dude a chance in the next preseason games to play solid minutes, but not with our bench fodder, that wouldn't serve any purpuse; I want to see how he does with other players on the floor that can actually attract defensive attention.
If he pans out, then forget about Fish, he should be fighting for Blake's minutes.
I'm also one of the (seemingly) few members here who don't think Goudelock sucks. OK he's not a good defender (though he's much better than morris, and he did check CP3 in last year's preseason pretty decently), but the dude can SHOOT, and we still don't have enough shooters. Also, that floater is still money.
Finwë

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:18 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:If Mitch could magic-wand Blake and Duhon and we cut Morris, I'd much rather give roster spots and time to Barbosa as the backup and DJO, CDR, and Sacre as 3rd stringers. No no, NO to Fish.

Nash/Barbosa/Fisher
Bryant/Meeks/Johnson-Odom
Peace/Ebanks/Douglas-Roberts
Gasol/Jamison/Clark
Howard/Hill/Sacre

^^^ I like that a lot. Except for Clark. Don't know didly about him and have never seen him play. I have no TV. Lakers TV...Bah Humbug!!!!! "Forums" is where it's at Baby. Countdown to game 2 vs Portland on the schedule, no national coverage.... T Minus 15 days and counting..... :bang: :scurred:
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:20 pm

^ He's barely played. When he's played he's shown some nice shot blocking abililty but that's it. No offense. Not a lot of rebounding. Nothing special.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion