Sources: Fisher free to return to Lakers now

Sources: Fisher free to return to Lakers now

Postby nthydro on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:55 am

By Marc Stein | Oct 16, 2012 2:25 AM
Important update to our weekend report regarding the prospect of a return to the Los Angeles Lakers for veteran guard Derek Fisher.

Sources briefed on the discussions told ESPN.com on Monday that Fisher has, indeed, been verified by the league office as eligible to re-sign with the Lakers since July 1, which runs counter to the widely held assumption that Fisher had to wait at least one year from the date that the Lakers dealt him to Houston in March before a reunion with Kobe Bryant would be permissible.

The NBA’s new labor agreement stipulates that a player traded and then waived by the team that acquired him can’t re-sign with his original team for one year or until the traded contract runs out -- whichever comes first. But in Fisher’s case, confusion surrounding his player option for the 2012-13 season led to the belief in some league circles that he had picked up the option before the Houston Rockets bought him out. In reality, sources confirm, Fisher was bought out by Houston before he was eligible to invoke the 2012-13 option, which means that his contract was deemed to have ended June 30, sending Fisher to full-fledged free agency on July 1.

So ...

Plenty of dominoes still have to fall before Fisher, who finished last season with Oklahoma City, actually winds up back at Staples Center in purple and gold. Fisher, for starters, will have to decide how long he’s willing to wait for the Lakers to open up a slot in their backcourt rotation for him. They currently have too many point guards and too high a payroll to sign him now, which account for two of the reasons that L.A. -- as ESPN.com reported Friday -- is shopping Steve Blake and Chris Duhon.

Yet now we know that there are no roadblocks in the rule book blocking Fisher’s return.

He might ultimately decide to jump on the next palatable offer that presents itself, but I’m told that both Fisher and the Lakers have a level of interest in reuniting down the road if the circumstances are right, suggesting that the tension stemming from L.A.’s decision to discard the 38-year-old last spring is fading.
nthydro

Re: Sources: Fisher free to return to Lakers now

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:59 am

Noooooooooooo

And to elaborate, the only PG I'd take Fisher ahead of as even a backup is Morris. Been there, done that, get a real backup or roll with Blake.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:02 am

Yeah let's get older :disagree: ... and as bad as he is , Blake>Fisher
wcsoldier81

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:06 am

Fish is well past the point where he should have called it quits. I say no not only because of that, but because I dont think Brown would have the stones to limit him to the role he should have (strictly garbage minutes).

If Mitch is looking to improve the backup PG (we all hope he is), Fisher is certainly not the answer.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby kenzo on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:16 am

:what: :scurred: :nono5:
kenzo

Postby OX1947 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:27 am

The only way this could happen is if the Lakers cut Morris and Glock, and traded Blake and Duhon for draft picks, while signing Barbosa.

Nash, Barbosa, Fisher
Bryant, Meeks, CDR
MWP, Ebanks, Clark
Gasol, Hill, Jamison
Howard, Sacre

Just a shot in the dark. I do think Fisher needs to retire.
OX1947

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:01 am

fisher over morris and duhon cuz they are that bad. about a draw between him and blake...tho my heart has a soft spot for fish. does he have anything left to give is the question
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby havoc33 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:26 am

Heck, even Kobe has a soft spot for Fish. Please, please don't let this happen. We will get KILLED defensively. No way does his leadership or occasional three make up for this liability. Fisher was terrible the last two years here, and needless to say, he's not gotten any better.
havoc33

Postby gill on Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:42 am

Sure he can join us again... as part of the coaching staff!
gill

Postby karacha on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:02 am

Nash
Blake

Fisher over Morris in very limited minutes. In this case, I'd do it. 3rd string only. Get rid of all those "PGs" we don't need. Next year, Fisher as an assistant coach.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby escobar8 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:10 am

fisher shouldnt play anywhere...just retire...
escobar8

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:21 am

I'd be for it, in a break emergency glass if needed role. like 5-10 minutes a game and the rest of the minutes can go to DJO/Glock.

If we can somehow get out of Blake/Duhon's contracts this year, it would open us up next year to use the mini-MLE next offseason on a real backup PG. Seeing as how CJ Watson/Delonte/Nate Rob signed for the minimum, I think we can snag a legit PG and not hot garbage.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:39 am

Doc Brown wrote:I'd be for it, in a break emergency glass if needed role.

:man10: reminded me of this:

And a big NO to Fish ...
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby GNC on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:20 am

I really hope not. We need to move on.
GNC

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:32 am

Fish would probably be a little worse than Blake in the regular season but we know he's going to show up when it counts. Unloading Blake & signing Fish would improve our chances at a title & cut payroll, it's a win win.
lakersin4

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:12 am

Ha ha! I'm going against the grain on this one. I'd actually love to have Fish back for a final run. I don't mind at all. Even at his ripe old age, I'll still take D. Fish over Blake, Duhon, Morris and whoever else we've got right now. Our backup PG situation is terrible.

Seriously, I'd feel more secure with Fish out there any of those guys. So, yeah, I'm for it. But mark my word, if we don't get rid of both Duhon AND Blake, then you are going to see a lineup of Blake at SG and Fish at PG.
Last edited by Lakerjones on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lakerjones

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:12 am

just in case we need someone to run over scola again amirite? :man12:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Lakers#1fan on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:28 am

I know most of you resent Fisher because he's old and is a liability at the defensive end, but you have to admit that Fisher is smarter than Blake and Duhon as a player and an invaluable leader. I think the acquisition of Howard is what makes Fisher ok within our system. Though he lacks at the defensive end he can hit timely shots and can make the right decisions. I'm all for bringing back Fish at the right price. Having a defensive anchor behind him is what makes bringing back Fisher feasible in the role that he will play.
Lakers#1fan

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:36 am

The FO values Fisher over Blake IMO. Yea they traded Fisher, but that was AFTER, the Blake deal with Por-Minny fell through and they needed to get a guard off the roster because we had brought Sessions in. If that deal didn't fall through with Blake, he would be gone and Fisher would probably, IMO, still be here after he picks up his option. Fisher was dumped at the very last second of the trade deadline. I think it was because of the need to get a PG off the roster, not because they felt Blake was better.

Now that Fisher is available, it is no surprise to me at least, that Blake/Duhon can be had for a 2nd round player that will never make it to the NBA.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Barnstable on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:47 am

Surprised at some of the reactions. I'd love to have Fish back as our 3rd string PG.

The only reason to not get him right now, IMO, would be if we had a young player who we planned to develop into a quality player. Morris isn't that guy, and Duhon is expendable.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby NoHomeOH on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:51 am

NoHomeOH

Postby Thenextgreat on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:00 am

I'm with it.
Thenextgreat

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:01 am

Take away nostalgia, really think back and remember how Fisher played last season and you will be less surprised at the reaction. He was awful, he couldn't shoot anymore, his passing and decision making were at an all time low, and he was never more of a defensive liability. And although he was supposed to help the Thunder in the Finals with his experience, he didn't, that magic was not there for him just like it hadn't been there for him here since 2010. I will always love Fisher for what he did for us, but he sucks now, people were asking for Morris to play over him last season, hoping he would retire, that's how bad he was. He was killing us last season, his production was little to none, he couldn't even be hidden with the starters anymore.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Original 81 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:06 am

If I have to see another instance where Fisher insists on pushing the ball up the court and just throws the ball at the rim while flopping to get a call killing a fastbreak opportunity...

I'm sorry Fish, but your time in this league is up.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby XXIV on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:08 am

Lakers#1fan wrote:I know most of you resent Fisher because he's old and is a liability at the defensive end, but you have to admit that Fisher is smarter than Blake and Duhon as a player and an invaluable leader. I think the acquisition of Howard is what makes Fisher ok within our system. Though he lacks at the defensive end he can hit timely shots and can make the right decisions. I'm all for bringing back Fish at the right price. Having a defensive anchor behind him is what makes bringing back Fisher feasible in the role that he will play.

Fisher may be smarter than any of our PGs except Nash, but that doesn't mean he can provide something on the court. Physically, I believe he's done. He hasn't shot well, he cant finish at the rim, and he hasn't been very clutch in the last two seasons. I'd pass.
XXIV

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion