Start Darius Morris

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby viktorkain on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:47 pm

kray28 wrote:
TIME wrote:
viktorkain wrote:
He is also however the biggest detriment to his teams chemistry and he has never learned one thing that MJ did. How to make his team mates better. This is by no means a Kobe rant my station is entirely to high to rant on a player on my favorite team but I will point out facts... Like the fact you obviously are overlooking... Yes Kobe shot us out of a hole in the clippers game. He shot us out of the same Hole he shot us into. Facts First good sir.



You can insist it's not a Kobe rant, but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

So, Kobe has never learned how to make his teammates better? And you are calling for others to learn how basketball works before commenting? Kobe has always made his teammates better. It's one of the biggest Kobe myths people continue to parrot. Here's a name for example: Smush Parker. Compare Smush's career playing next to Kobe vs. playing next to anyone else.

I'm also curious what you mean by "my station is entirely too high".
TIME wrote:
kray28 wrote:


kray, viktorkain did bait you with his comment, but he is new to the forum while you are a longtime member. You know this post of yours is a violation of site rules.


I did not consider Saying someone should learn how basketball works as a bait if it was taken as such then I apologize. Seeing as we all know how basketball works if you are playing at the top of the key and have two defenders on you this would in turn mean that someone is open, Correct? Would it not be prudent and in the best interest of the team to get the ball to the person who has an unobstructed view of the basket? I will not address Kobe Bryant because I really do not want to take the time to defend being a Laker fan and having an opinion of Kobe Bryant that is Unbiased.I have been a Laker fan since the Mid 70's well before Mr Bryant was Born much less on the team. There seem to be two distinct types of Laker fans.

@Time, then it is a duck I see your point and you are correct. As per the My Station Comment, Simply Stating that due to my life circumstances I do not have the time to "Rant" on the best player in the game seeing as I cannot sway his game play or decisions in the slightest therefore it would be a waste of my time and energy when I could be eating this delicious red velvet cheesecake.

Side Note seeing as I am new here. I am Overly critical and analytical its a character flaw. I watch my kids games 10+ times before coming up with a gameplan and I watch every lakers and orlando game about 6 times before breaking it down I run a lot of Orlando's Offense seeing as we have one of the bigger kids in the district playing center,We also have 2 really good perimeter guys.
viktorkain

 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:03 am

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby Rooscooter on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:47 pm

viktorkain wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:
Every offense is predictable in the half court set in this league. OKC for example.... guard Durant and Westbrook and it's over.... the problem is you can't guard Durant and Westbrook......

We are the same IMO. Our execution hasn't been good nor do we have much diversity in schemes to this point but we are trying to get the ball to Kobe, Drew and Pau...... the manner in which we do it may vary in complexity and success but these are the guys on this team that need the ball in a position to score.

What I see lacking in comfort in the system and a true initiator that is reading and reacting. Morris isn't that guy now or even in a year IMHO. He needs to be able to have the respect of the veterans. We saw his looping passes almost out of bounds to Kobe while being double covered.... is that what true initiator does? There was nobody in the middle of the floor at all and he could have easily broke down his man and provided an easy hoop or two for someone else. The next time down after doing that I'll bet Kobe would't be double covered prior to having the ball.

He has some ability but this is a team on the verge of a championship not the Timberwolves..... we can't afford on the job training of a position as important as Point Guard.

Finally, our biggest problem has been time to install an offense. To me, this resembles an "intramural team" in that we have a few basic plays and a variation or two off of them because of the unfamiliarity and lack of practice time.


I agree with you on everything but two points. Darius Morris could not pass the ball to anyone but Kobe even though he was double defended. He threw those moon passes knowing they would be in an area that Kobe could get to them but it would be difficult for the defender to do so. Imagine the rookie breaking down his man off the dribble and penetrating then passing the ball to Bynum for an easy two do you have any idea how pissed off Kobe would be? No? Ok watch the Clippers game again in the 4th Quarter on the fast break where Morris tosses the Bounce pass to Gasol through two defenders. After that score Kobe was yelling at the kid for not kicking the ball to him as he stood at the top of the key, Dont believe it just watch the 4th quarter again.

Now at the end of quarter 2 or 3 cannot remember will have to go check for clarity. Kobe was on the bench and Darius Broke his man down off the dribble and drove to the hole for a lay up which he scored on due to goal tending. This was done in the preseason as well as in the Jazz and Clippers game. He can drive easily but it is obvious he does not have the green light to go.

The other thing I disagree with is the fact that you said the Lakers are "On the Verge of a championship." Not without some major adjustments on the Offensive end and probably not without a few personnel changes. Body language says a lot and there are several people not liking how this is going that are wearing Purple and Gold Jerseys.


To your first point.... looping passes to Kobe 12 feet behind the 3 point line while being double covered isn't a smart decision regardless of whether Kobe was making those shots or not. That's my point. Break down your man and get an easy two and the next time down Kobe won't be double covered prior to having the ball. After 16 years I think Kobe can understand that as can the coach. The whole purpose of a point guard in a traditional offense is to run the team and make the decisions on the floor. A good one thinks a possession or two in advance of the current one.... setting up the defense.... Put it this way.... do you think Chris Paul would have done that if he were on our team...... me either....

The whole post, as are most of the others I've made in this thread, are indicating that Morris isn't the answer if we are serious about a championship. Neither is Fisher or Blake. In fact my post was demonstrating that fact.

Kobe isn't getting any younger and our window is still open if we can get an adequate point guard and some time to actually install the offense we will be in good shape...... you can't "adjust" what hasn't been fully installed yet....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23048
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby viktorkain on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Rooscooter wrote:To your first point.... looping passes to Kobe 12 feet behind the 3 point line while being double covered isn't a smart decision regardless of whether Kobe was making those shots or not. That's my point. Break down your man and get an easy two and the next time down Kobe won't be double covered prior to having the ball. After 16 years I think Kobe can understand that as can the coach. The whole purpose of a point guard in a traditional offense is to run the team and make the decisions on the floor. A good one thinks a possession or two in advance of the current one.... setting up the defense.... Put it this way.... do you think Chris Paul would have done that if he were on our team...... me either....

The whole post, as are most of the others I've made in this thread, are indicating that Morris isn't the answer if we are serious about a championship. Neither is Fisher or Blake. In fact my post was demonstrating that fact.

Kobe isn't getting any younger and our window is still open if we can get an adequate point guard and some time to actually install the offense...... you can't "adjust" what hasn't been fully installed yet....


I completely agree with everything you said and you are right ... at this point in time Darius Morris is not our best choice if we are serious about a championship and neither are Fish or Blake. I cannot argue that at all. Also no I do not think Chris Paul would have made those passes but I also will say if he were a rookie he just might. It is very intimidating to be a rookie on a Star Studded team especially when you are playing alongside the biggest star of them all. As for the window still being open you are right and the rumor is they are trying to get Andre Miller which even at his age and with his busted Jump shot is a better and more serviceable PG than either Blake or Fisher.
viktorkain

 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:03 am

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby TIME on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:01 pm

viktorkain wrote:
I did not consider Saying someone should learn how basketball works as a bait if it was taken as such then I apologize. Seeing as we all know how basketball works if you are playing at the top of the key and have two defenders on you this would in turn mean that someone is open, Correct? Would it not be prudent and in the best interest of the team to get the ball to the person who has an unobstructed view of the basket? I will not address Kobe Bryant because I really do not want to take the time to defend being a Laker fan and having an opinion of Kobe Bryant that is Unbiased.I have been a Laker fan since the Mid 70's well before Mr Bryant was Born much less on the team. There seem to be two distinct types of Laker fans.

@Time, then it is a duck I see your point and you are correct. As per the My Station Comment, Simply Stating that due to my life circumstances I do not have the time to "Rant" on the best player in the game seeing as I cannot sway his game play or decisions in the slightest therefore it would be a waste of my time and energy when I could be eating this delicious red velvet cheesecake.

Side Note seeing as I am new here. I am Overly critical and analytical its a character flaw. I watch my kids games 10+ times before coming up with a gameplan and I watch every lakers and orlando game about 6 times before breaking it down I run a lot of Orlando's Offense seeing as we have one of the bigger kids in the district playing center,We also have 2 really good perimeter guys.


It comes across as a baiting statement because it implies that the other person is ignorant of basketball while you are here to set them straight. Most guys will take it as a shot at their knowledge of the game.

I'm an old Lakers fan like you. I actually have a few years on you, but that doesn't mean I know the game better than you. I agree with your concern about Kobe not involving his teammates enough so far this season. We could talk about why. Some might conclude that this is always the way he is. You post comparing him unfavorably to MJ implied that. I see it differently. Kobe has led his team in assists ever since he became a starter. This year he is clearly prioritizing his own attack so far. I think it's partly the improvement in his knee and finger, and partly the new system, partly being free from the constraints of Phil and the Triangle, and partly his zeal to prove to the league he still has "it". I do think he will adjust for the good of the team. He always has eventually, even if he stubbornly does his own thing for a few games.

Thanks for the clarification on the station phrase.

Your analytical / critical observations are not a problem here at all. This is not a Kobe fan site. It's a Lakers fan forum.

Again, welcome to the site.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9446
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby Rooscooter on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:15 pm

viktorkain wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:To your first point.... looping passes to Kobe 12 feet behind the 3 point line while being double covered isn't a smart decision regardless of whether Kobe was making those shots or not. That's my point. Break down your man and get an easy two and the next time down Kobe won't be double covered prior to having the ball. After 16 years I think Kobe can understand that as can the coach. The whole purpose of a point guard in a traditional offense is to run the team and make the decisions on the floor. A good one thinks a possession or two in advance of the current one.... setting up the defense.... Put it this way.... do you think Chris Paul would have done that if he were on our team...... me either....

The whole post, as are most of the others I've made in this thread, are indicating that Morris isn't the answer if we are serious about a championship. Neither is Fisher or Blake. In fact my post was demonstrating that fact.

Kobe isn't getting any younger and our window is still open if we can get an adequate point guard and some time to actually install the offense...... you can't "adjust" what hasn't been fully installed yet....


I completely agree with everything you said and you are right ... at this point in time Darius Morris is not our best choice if we are serious about a championship and neither are Fish or Blake. I cannot argue that at all. Also no I do not think Chris Paul would have made those passes but I also will say if he were a rookie he just might. It is very intimidating to be a rookie on a Star Studded team especially when you are playing alongside the biggest star of them all. As for the window still being open you are right and the rumor is they are trying to get Andre Miller which even at his age and with his busted Jump shot is a better and more serviceable PG than either Blake or Fisher.


Good.... glad we settled the most important point.... I'm right..... :man10: :man10: :man1: Just kidding....

In reading your analysis of the Clipper game I would point out that "Mike Brown's" defense had no solution whatsoever for the Pick-n-roll and this is precisely why we lost the game.... not the hiccups on the offensive end. We scored enough based on our previous wins..... we didn't defend well and especially the defensive boards and penetration.

As Kray pointed out we were out rebounded badly on the defensive end in the first half. These rebounds were, in large part, because Bynum and Pau were rotating into the center of the key to cover Paul leaving their men un blocked out for the rebounds. The Clips missed a lot of contested shots initially but made the second chances.

In my opinion the rebounding discrepancy had a couple origins..... The lack of point guard defense, the scheme itself and the fact our bigs had dead legs. I discount the latter a little as Bynum ended up with 16 rebounds and was fairly dominant on the boards throughout the second half.

The Clippers have some talent where we don't and they took advantage of it. We have some where they don't We need a floor general that can, first identify where we have advantages and second take advantage of it. To me this isn't about whether or not Kobe gets 40 and the Kobe faction vs the non-Kobe faction. A well balanced attack on out team should include 20 to 24 shots for Kobe.... when those shots take place and the difficulty of those shots are not entirely up to Kobe.... he needs some assistance getting into his kill zone.


Oh.... and welcome to the site as well.....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23048
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby viktorkain on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:33 pm

@RooScooter Thank you good Sir and our rebounding was horrible but I think the reason behind that was neither Pau nor Bynum boxed out. I was :bang: yelling at them to at least put a body on their man. If only they could hear me through the television.
viktorkain

 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:03 am

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby StudentOfTheGame on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:30 pm

This kid needs to learn how to make a post entry pass without looking absolutely petrified doing it. He swung the ball in favor of post entry passes at least 5 times tonight.

Pau makes a cleaner post entry pass right now.
User avatar
StudentOfTheGame

 
Posts: 2146
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:40 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:31 pm

nope.

stop dribbling so much. and keep your head up.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9920
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby D.B. Cooper on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:39 pm

Waldo Faldo isn't ready!
Image
User avatar
D.B. Cooper

 
Posts: 6853
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:03 pm
Location: C.L

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:47 pm

His defense is there. He was on Terry all night and his only mistake was going under a screen in the 1st half, other than that he was all over him and forced him into contested shots. Impressed with his defense so far.

His offense is bad. If everyone else didn't look like absolute crap on the offensive end, I would be way more harsh on him, but since everyone looked awful running the "offense", I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He's just dribbling the ball way too much. Make a play or pass it.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19457
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby Rooscooter on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:55 pm

Doc Brown wrote:His defense is there. He was on Terry all night and his only mistake was going under a screen in the 1st half, other than that he was all over him and forced him into contested shots. Impressed with his defense so far.

His offense is bad. If everyone else didn't look like absolute crap on the offensive end, I would be way more harsh on him, but since everyone looked awful running the "offense", I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He's just dribbling the ball way too much. Make a play or pass it.


His D is pretty good..... Best on ball D by a point guard in a while. Struggles on screens and when to help but not too shabby in the open court.

Offense is another story however...
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23048
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby revgen on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:10 am

^I think the offense has more to do with the fact that Mike Brown really hasn't implemented the offense yet.

There has been very little practice time to implement the offense completely.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru
 
Posts: 21735
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby The Rock on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:11 am

like I said the 1st day I saw him, he reminds me of Anthony Carter really. Very good defender, can run your offensive sets if you have one, outside of that I dont see much from him
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19992
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby Rooscooter on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:18 am

revgen wrote:^I think the offense has more to do with the fact that Mike Brown really hasn't implemented the offense yet.

There has been very little practice time to implement the offense completely.


I hope you're right..... He rotated away from a posted big a few times and didn't show a lot on his few drive attempts.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23048
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby gcclaker on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:22 am

Morris doesn't back down from anything and anyone... Good trait to have. In hindsight, nothing better than putting his feet to the fire in a big time game such as tonight. Morris doesn't panic but his over dribbling is stunting the offense. Defensively, I agree that he has repped himself well. Morris is quick enough to stay with other guards at 6-5 plus with that long wingspan can smother them.
No siggie...
User avatar
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15201
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 9:35 am
Location: Laker Cyber Space

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:29 am

He needs to have the confidence to shoot the ball once in awhile. Came off of a screen wide open tonight in rhythmn at the top of the key and didn't even consider it.....looked like LeBron in the 4th quarter of the finals last year.
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6486
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:30 am

RE: the OP, let's not and say we did. But I was glad to at least see him get some burn out there tonight. He wasn't great, but he's what we've got.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15234
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:48 am

he needs a real PG to be his mentor. fishers a great guy but that wont help darius much.
User avatar
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel
 
Posts: 20560
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:22 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby John3:16 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:52 am

His D is okay for a rookie. But if you can't make a basic entry pass to the post and you shoot like Ron Artest, you're not gonna be around long.

We need a real PG. I REALLY hope Mitch doesn't think we can go the whole year like this.
Image
User avatar
John3:16
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 31874
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Anywhere but LD after a loss.

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby Alleyhoops on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:58 am

For my money, I think Trey Johnson was/is a better point guard.
Image
User avatar
Alleyhoops

 
Posts: 4297
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:08 pm
Location: Culver City California

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:02 am

We're not going to win a lot of games with Morris playing as the backup PG.
a 5-7/6-7 record in the next 12/13 games is a probable scenario .. with Blake coming back after that stretch
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6428
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby John3:16 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:19 am

Alleyhoops wrote:For my money, I think Trey Johnson was/is a better point guard.


Agree. Whatever happened to him?
Image
User avatar
John3:16
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 31874
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Anywhere but LD after a loss.

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby LakerFan1235 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:20 am

John3:16 wrote:
Alleyhoops wrote:For my money, I think Trey Johnson was/is a better point guard.


Agree. Whatever happened to him?

seriously though that guy was pretty decent for a vet. minimum. He could hit a shot at least.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
User avatar
LakerFan1235

 
Posts: 4703
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: San Luis Obispo,CA

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby borri on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:58 am

This kid is a D-League player right now.
User avatar
borri

 
Posts: 8037
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:16 pm

Re: Start Darius Morris

Postby WilliamHaven on Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:08 am

LakerFan1235 wrote:
John3:16 wrote:
Alleyhoops wrote:For my money, I think Trey Johnson was/is a better point guard.


Agree. Whatever happened to him?

seriously though that guy was pretty decent for a vet. minimum. He could hit a shot at least.


he's warming the bench with New Orleans. I imagine he'll get even less than his current 5mpg once eric gordon is back
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
User avatar
WilliamHaven

 
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:25 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Kobe8Fan and 19 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.