L.A. State of Mind

L.A. State of Mind

Postby BDG on Fri May 09, 2003 1:55 pm

I've been thinking recently how a lot of people in L.A. are when it comes to their opinions of others. Now don't take this personal because I'm not calling out any names on this, but there seems to be an L.A. State of Mind that is beginning to spread, at least through the "Hollywood" type L.A. sports fans.

The main principle of this is that "everybody loves you when you're a winner." One day, these LA fans can be hating on a particular player. Their initial reaction is "trade him," or "he's too old," or "he doesn't have enough experience," or "too inconsistent." Then, in a matter of watching 2 hours and 30 minutes of basketball, their opinions seem to turn right around. "Oh, he's the key to our championship run," or "what would we do without [insert player/coach's name]." The fact is plain and simple: nobody likes to be around losers.

Two guys who I have recently seen being hated upon are Robert Horry and Phil Jackson. Now I must say that Horry seems to be showing the effects of aging. However, this doesn't mean he isn't going to play well every night. One day, Horry can go maybe 1 for 6 for 3 points. Then, the trade talk starts to brew, and the fans begin to lose faith in him. "We need to get rid of Horry in the off season." The next game, let's say he bounces back for a solid role player's game. Rob gets 12 points and 8 boards. "GO HORRY!" or "His post game looked amazing."

Keep in mind that these are the same people who bashed on him three hours ago. Keep in mind how fast their hearts changed in an instant. Keep in mind that without Horry, we would not have won a third championship last year, and countless playoff games prior to that.

Now as for Phil Jackson, it's one thing for people to hate some decisions he makes in a game (I'm not hatin on u LP if ur wondering!), but some others will just show a lack of respect for him and his accomplishments. Nine championships in the last 10 or 11 years, and now everyone hates him because of ONE game. That's 48 minutes as opposed to nine years. "What is he thinking?" or "He's a terrible coach." All this after Jackson has trampled over every competitor for NINE years? If any of these haters are referring to the series with the Spurs, you can't blame Phil Jackson for a pure lack of defense when Manu Gionobli can drive straight through without any help from Shaq or Horry. It can not 6 for 3 points. Then, the trade talk starts to brew, and the fans begin to lose faith in him. "We need to get rid of Horry in the off season." The next game, let's say he bounces back for a solid role player's game. Rob gets 12 points and 8 boards. "GO HORRY!" or "His post game looked amazing."

Keep in mind that these are the same people who bashed on him three hours ago. Keep in mind how fast their hearts changed in an instant. Keep in mind that without Horry, we would not have won a third championship last year, and countless playoff games prior to that.

Now as for Phil Jackson, it's one thing for people to hate some decisions he makes in a game (I'm not hatin on u LP if ur wondering!), but some others will just show a lack of respect for him and his accomplishments. Nine championships in the last 10 or 11 years, and now everyone hates him because of ONE game. That's 48 minutes as opposed to nine years. "What is he thinking?" or "He's a terrible coach." All this after Jackson has trampled over every competitor for NINE years? If any of these haters are referring to the series with the Spurs, you can't blame Phil Jackson for a pure lack of defense when Manu Gionobli can drive straight through without any help from Shaq or Horry. It can not be a coach's fault when your team is down by thirty. Some days, teams just have bad games.

With all that being said, it is only true fans like many here at CL.com who remain loyal to the Lakers. I'm not talking about the "Hollywood" fans who will show up for a half an hour with their cellphones and Starbucks and leave midway through the third quarter. I'm not talking about those fans who don't even bother to show up to Staples Center just because of the fact that they have season tickets and don't feel like coming.

I'm talking about those fans who accept the fact that teams play good games and bad games-- those who don't carry this L.A. State of Mind. I'm not saying that the Lakers should never make any moves from General Management, but don't hate on a player when he's down and out. Don't judge the skill level of a player from his performance in one game. Hell, even Shaq and Kobe have their off games and these fans STILL carry on this hate towards them.

Do any of yall feel what I'm saying when I say that there is a dying breed of fans in Los Angeles?
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby MONIE32373 on Fri May 09, 2003 2:06 pm

AMEN. :bow:
LOVE AS IF TODAY IS YOUR LAST DAY!
MONIE32373

Postby MIKEDOG on Fri May 09, 2003 3:17 pm

I got your point...but for example I have been saying that this MUST be Horrys last season in a Lakers Uni unless they can get him for next to nothing! And even with that said I have the right to cheer him when he does well!! Saying that he needs to get steppin does not mean that I cant say thank god for that shot Horry hit, without him we would have lost! Because I appreciate him for winning the game does not mean my view has changed
MIKEDOG

Postby BDG on Fri May 09, 2003 6:26 pm

yeah i see... i was more directing that toward the other laker fans:
the "Hollywood" fans who will show up for a half an hour with their cellphones and Starbucks and leave midway through the third quarter
i know u have the right to cheer for them or boo for them, but i was kinda directing it toward the guys who will love them one day and hate them the next. unloyal, untrue fans.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Return to Lakers Discussion