Steve Blake Discussion: Traded To Warriors

Re: Steve Blake Discussion

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Mark Medina ‏@MedinaLakersNBA
Mike Brown officially gave the backup pg spot to Steve Blake
Expand

IMO Duhon had the better preseason....
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby revgen on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:21 pm

^Yeah, but he wasn't outstanding. Blake has the seniority advantage and Duhon didn't blow anybody away.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:25 pm

It's at least good to know that Duhon isn't as useless as we thought he was.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Blake just follows Mike Brown's instruction's to a T and probably lights it up in practice. I cant believe hes gonna be our backup PG for 3rd year in a row. Coulldn't do diddly under Phil or last year (which allowed more player freedom than the "Restrictive triangle). Blake is a lost cause IMO.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:35 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2012/10/27/mike-brown-touts-steve-blake-as-backup-point-guard/

After publicly proclaiming this position stayed up for grabs during training camp, Brown stuck with Steve Blake as the team’s backup point guard.

“He had a little bit of an advantage because he was in the system last year,” Brown said of Blake, who averaged 3.6 points on 40 percent shooting in 14.6 minutes through seven game. “It’s not set in stone, but we felt he played a little bit better as of late.”

Blake, entering his third season with the Lakers, competed against Chris Duhon, who arrived here from Orlando as part of the Dwight Howard trade. Duhon averaged 1.8 points on a 33.3 percent clip in 9.6 minutes through five games.

“My backup point guard first needs to defend, second get the team organized and third not turn the ball over,” Brown said. “If he can score and/or shoot, that’s a bonus.”

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby revgen on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:41 pm

If it's defense-first, organizing a team 2nd, and shooting last, then Duhon should be the backup.

Then again, Brown isn't exactly the best when it comes to recognizing how to use his personnel.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:43 pm

^ Yep. I know Blake works his butt off, but if he doesn't produce then that doesn't matter. Sasha tried as hard as he could, but he was awful. Blake's defense is all work and no production. I love that from my team too, but if it's not getting the job done then too bad.

If the criteria is defense, then Duhon will be starting soon.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby mastersworddude on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:51 pm

The Rock wrote::man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2012/10/27/mike-brown-touts-steve-blake-as-backup-point-guard/

After publicly proclaiming this position stayed up for grabs during training camp, Brown stuck with Steve Blake as the team’s backup point guard.

“He had a little bit of an advantage because he was in the system last year,” Brown said of Blake, who averaged 3.6 points on 40 percent shooting in 14.6 minutes through seven game. “It’s not set in stone, but we felt he played a little bit better as of late.”

Blake, entering his third season with the Lakers, competed against Chris Duhon, who arrived here from Orlando as part of the Dwight Howard trade. Duhon averaged 1.8 points on a 33.3 percent clip in 9.6 minutes through five games.

“My backup point guard first needs to defend, second get the team organized and third not turn the ball over,” Brown said. “If he can score and/or shoot, that’s a bonus.”

That sound like Duhon, yet you pick Blake? Whatever Brown.
mastersworddude

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Brown is a stats guy, I'm sure he has this all figured out in some highly mathematical concept.....

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby revgen on Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:05 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ Yep. I know Blake works his butt off, but if he doesn't produce then that doesn't matter. Sasha tried as hard as he could, but he was awful. Blake's defense is all work and no production. I love that from my team too, but if it's not getting the job done then too bad.

If the criteria is defense, then Duhon will be starting soon.

:man12:

Little mistake aside, I agree with you.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:04 pm

:bang: :man9:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:03 pm

More on Blake "earning" the spot + a couple more quotes.
Ramona Shelburne of ESPN wrote:After playing musical chairs with the backup point guard spot throughout the preseason, Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike Brown said Saturday that veteran Steve Blake has taken the lead for the role.

"Obviously I played Blake more as of late," Brown said. "He'll get the first crack at it. Guys like [Chris] Duhon and [Darius] Morris have to stay professional and stay ready. Their number can be called at any time."

Asked what Blake, who served as the Lakers primary back-up last season, had done during camp to earn the role, Brown said, "He had a little bit of an advantage because he was in the system last year. So he's got a good feel on what we want to do on both ends of the floor. It was close.”

"It's not set in stone, but we felt he played a little bit better as of late when he had an opportunity,” Brown said. “He had more of an opportunity than Duhon. That's just the direction we wanted to go. It's not like he did this a lot better than this guy or the next guy.

“My backup point guard first needs to defend, second get the team organized and third not turn the ball over. You start putting icing on the cake or adding ice cream to your cake and if he can score and/or shoot, that's a bonus."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:24 pm

His explanation is awful :man10: . Blake organizes the team just fine. But he doesn't defend well at all and he certainly doesn't not turn the ball over.

At least not this pre-season. He was a turnover machine!
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:36 pm

Note to Mike Brown. The purpose of an explanation is to clarify why you made a decision. Your "explanation" above doesn't provides clarity at all and only further degrades your already poor image as a coach and a leader.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:18 pm

revgen wrote:Note to Mike Brown. The purpose of an explanation is to clarify why you made a decision. Your "explanation" above doesn't provides clarity at all and only further degrades your already poor image as a coach and a leader.

Mike Brown really isn't the sharpest tool in the shed is he? To me he just keeps saying and doing dumber things by the minute. How in the world can you look at tape of what Blake did this preseason and say that he played better D than Duhon and deserves the backup position over him? This guy is just completely clueless.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:52 am

Brown reminds me of these students who learn everything by heart because they don't understand the big picture and can't analyse ish ...

Each time he's talking , it sounds like he's reciting something
wcsoldier81

Postby ben_ready on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:23 am

Brown makes no sense so I'm going racial,he pick Blake because he's white. :man10: I don't see no other reason. I mean the guy was terrible yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:25 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter
* @MettaWorldPeace said @SteveBlake5 continues to impress at practice. Many LAL players/coaches have said the same all camp.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

In 2 years and this preseason, I have yet to see it happen. 2 years older and we're supposed to believe Blake is ballin'. Show it on the court in a REAL game.
Doc Brown

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Is this the same "PlayerX impresses coaches in practice" BS we've already heard before? They already tried that with Morris. Looks like they're trying to trade Blake ASAP.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:45 pm

it's practice. darius morris impressed in practice. sasha vujacic impressed in practice.

we talkin about practice? :disagree:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:05 pm

Mike Trudell‏@LakersReporter

* @MettaWorldPeace said @SteveBlake5 continues to impress at practice. Many LAL players/coaches have said the same all camp.

1 hRickey Keeles Jr.‏@RickDaSequel

@LakersReporter But Mike his play hasn't showed up during game play tho.. He's kinda like Sasha when he was a Laker.. A practice player

57 minMike Trudell‏@LakersReporter

@RickDaSequel - Just relaying the info; you're right that games will be where he's judged this year.

:man10:
wcsoldier81

Postby kenzo on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:31 pm

When did Morris impresse in practice? :man3: I thought he sucks all the time.
kenzo

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:41 pm

41.9% from 3 in last season's playoffs. 45.5% in this preseason. hope its a turning point for him.
Ariza3

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:01 pm

Ariza3 wrote:41.9% from 3 in last season's playoffs. 45.5% in this preseason. hope its a turning point for him.

Yeah, but the only 3 pointer that we remember is the one he misses in the corner to win the game when Metta found him wide open after Westbrook made a defensive mistake :bang: :bang: :mad1:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby The Rock on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Those numbers are extremely misleading. First 4 preseason games he played 55 minutes total and went 0 for 4 from 3s. Last 3 games went 5 for 7. Hes hot or cold. More cold

In the playoffs last year shot well vs Denver 46.7% from 3s in 1st round. vs OKC in 2nd round 31% Hes extremely inconststent

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion