Steve Blake Discussion: Traded To Warriors

Re: Steve Blake Discussion: solid, efficient, productive

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:18 pm

Steve freaking Black. I'm at a point where I expect good things to happen when he's in the game. He has been solid for us ever since he came back. Waaay beyond solid tonight in beating Pacers.... he's one of the heroes. :bow: :bow:
LTLakerFan

Postby LakerFanIam on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:25 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Armani wrote:Was Mike Brown holding him back? I really don't understand how he's suddenly this good. :man3:

Blake is a "free" offense PG. Playing for Phil/Triangle and Mike B./Snail really took completely out of his comfort zone. With Mike D. he can let his balls hang freely and just make plays.

I remember hearing an interview with D'Antoni when he was first hired saying that Blake was a player he had always wanted to have on his team because of his type of play... I guess now we see why... Major props.
LakerFanIam

Postby Tragic on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:44 pm

impressed with him tonight. I've been disappointed with him for so long. Hope he can turn the corner and flourish under a new coach.

And I pray to God he stays healthy too!
Tragic

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:47 am

Amazing game tonight. Props! :bow:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:49 am

Been waiting on this ever since he came back from injury. He and D'Antoni get along perfectly because like Doc said he's a rhythm PG and D'Antoni is too. He wants his guys to feel out the game and he trusts his PGs to make the right plays.

This guy is quickly saving his career and he's quickly becoming a legitimate backup PG again in this league. If he can offer us this kind of production every once in a while, we'd be an absolutely killer squad. Maybe we don't look to trade him this off-season after all.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:25 am

Blake has been the biggest surprise for me this season. I thought this guy was done last season and after the injury I figure it was only going to get worse. I'm happy he's proving me wrong! I love the way he runs the second unit. He doesn't put up any 6th man type numbers but he's been solid on both ends. His passing has improved considerably. His chemistry with Antawn is really fun to watch.
nthydro

Postby SpencerHarrison on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:03 pm

I'll say it again: The Lakers offense runs better through Steve Blake than Steve Nash.

God dammit.

But still pretty cool for him
SpencerHarrison

Postby JLaker17 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:44 pm

Where has this guy been for the last few years?
JLaker17

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:49 pm

JLaker17 wrote:Where has this guy been for the last few years?

He needs the "right" coach to play like this. Phil wasn't that guy, and Brown certainly was not. No wonder MDA wanted Blake for his Suns team back in the day. He would have been a great backup for Nash, and he would probably play some 2 behind Raja as well in that situation.

For this team Blake is a playmaker/shooter, while Nash is shooter (scorer)/playmaker. Does that make sense?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:47 pm

Well let's hope Blake can repeat this performance. Not likely. I'll take 75% to 60% of if though.
borri

Postby XXIV on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:53 pm

I'm surprised by how well the Nash/Blake two guard lineup has worked for us. I had my doubts about it, but it really works wonders especially with either Dwight or Jamison in the mix.
XXIV

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Sure a lot better in Kobe and Nash's offense than Sessions and Blake was in Potato's offense.
LTLakerFan

Postby kenzo on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:10 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Sure a lot better in Kobe and Nash's offense than Sessions and Blake was in Potato's offense.

... or Blake/Morris :freak2:
kenzo

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:56 pm

Steve Blake since he's returned.....

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Blake at the 1, Nash at the 2 works right now. Let's see some more tomorrow.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby jodhus on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:02 pm

another better than solid night for blake.
=======================================
Don't eat yellow snow
jodhus

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:02 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Steve Blake since he's returned.....

the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Finwë on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:06 pm

Another GREAT game from him. It's all about confidence, always has been with him. He just looks different.
The free flowing offense is also helping his game a lot, fits him much better than the triangle or Brown's whatever-that-was offense.

Keep it up :jam2:
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:38 pm

Somewhere puffy and I are playing a jazzy tune and feeling smug right now...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:55 pm

therealdeal wrote:Somewhere puffy and I are playing a jazzy tune and feeling smug right now...

:bow:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Anyone else think Steve Black has picked up some of Steve Nashty's tricks of the trade from playing with him? He's doing some very similar stuff out there, in addition to finally being comfortable in his game again, and clearly having been working hard on it. Never takes any plays off, like Meeks, always hustiling his butt off. I feel like his shots are going to fall now like when Nash shoots.

Another sweet game :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :bow:
LTLakerFan

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:15 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Anyone else think Steve Black has picked up some of Steve Nashty's tricks of the trade from playing with him? He's doing some very similar stuff out there, in addition to finally being comfortable in his game again, and clearly having been working hard on it. Never takes any plays off, like Meeks, always hustiling his butt off. I feel like his shots are going to fall now like when Nash shoots.

Another sweet game :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :bow:

No. Blake has always had this type of game. He was not allowed to play free flowing until now. That being said both he and Nash are most effective when guys are moving without the ball. These guys started moving and all of a sudden Blake and Nash are ballers again. It isn't hard to see that PG's need players to move. The one thing Blake is doing differently is he is also looking for his shot. Other than that he and Nash play different styles of PG.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:23 pm

I remember him from Portland and Clippers when he could play like this, but just seems to me he's picked up a few of Nash's cool tricks too and added them on. Right now their games with the ball in their hands are very similar to watch (I think), with an edge in speed to Blake. It's great!
Last edited by LTLakerFan on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTLakerFan

Postby SpencerHarrison on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:38 pm

Blake has a decent shot to go with surprisingly intuitive and quick passing skills. I say it after every game now practically, but he's a better pure point guard right now than Nash. That isn't a knock on Nash at all, either. Blake is just playing incredibly smart, effective basketball at his position.
SpencerHarrison

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:27 pm

I always despised MDA's 2 PG lineup (even more so when Brown tried it because he's allergic to offensive comprehension), but the Blake/Nash duo is extremely effective right now. They're both making plays and hitting shots, but they have different roles out there.

Blake's confidence is sky high right now -- he thinks he can hit any shot he takes. Hopefully he can ride that wave for awhile longer. He hasn't had that freedom or confidence in his role with his other coaches in LA. It's great to see and it's along the lines (not quite this good) of what I thought we signed when we brought him to LA.

I firmly believe the two man game between Blake and Jamison is one of the best two man game of any bench in the NBA. They play very well off one another and seem to know where the other is at all times on offense. When both of them are hitting their 3s, our 3 man bench looks downright legitimate. They combined for 9 of our 12 3s.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion