Steve Blake Discussion: Traded To Warriors

Re: Steve Blake Discussion: "I love u @SteveBlake5" (107)

Postby karacha on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:12 pm

therealdeal wrote:Put him in a half-court system offense and he's a piece of crap. :man10:

Yeah man, he did not look good playing for Phil at all. Just not that type of player, you know? Blake has plenty of game left, obviously. He's much better then Nash right now. Nash (who I like and really respect) should not even play when we have Blake/Farmar taking care of the PG position. And with Meeks/Young doing what they do best, it's a waste of time to play Blake at the 2.

Blake/Farmar
Meeks/Swaggy
Kobe/Wes
Hill/Shawne
Pau/Kaman

looks good right now.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:I stood by Blake as a player I really enjoy watching play......... Now I am glad that he is doing it on all facets of the game. Another great game.

This. And I stood by him as a solid guy on this team, one of the few outside of Kobe (and MWP last year) that has outstanding mental toughness and plays nearly 100% every night. And now those who were hating are biting their tongues and praising him..... :man10: Typical Laker fandrome

You guys act like he didn't deserve criticism. He literally didn't deserve a roster spot until MDA got here. It wasn't "typical Laker fandrome", it was calling a spade a spade.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:06 pm

He did not, because he's not really a half-court player, never was. Phil tried to make him something he's really not. There's a reason why MDA always wanted Blake on his PHX squads.

Fish looked good playing for Phil. But if you tried to make him a prototypical fast tempo PG, he would not fare well. That's how this works for most players. Except superstar talents like Kobe, Bron etc. You can put them in any system and they'll go to work. But those types are extremely rare.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:22 pm

I disagree. He didn't deserve a starting spot and still doesn't (despite filling in nicely), but I always thought there was a spot on the roster for him. We know that Phil and Steve aren't a great match, so that explains his poor production under Phil. Plus Fisher filled his role as pg in the Tri to a T, so Blake didn't really have a role. The Mike Brown season was a lost run because it was a lockout season and he never really figured out his rotation with Fisher/Sessions/Blake and the failed CP3 trade.

It was a matter of time until Blake got back to the numbers he was producing in Portland, and I'm glad they have. I also have had a chance to see his grit and commitment to his team and playing hard. Always a roster spot for a guy like that.
Chillbongo

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:36 pm

That just sounds like a lot of excuses for him.

He played 23 minutes a game under Brown. He was always in the lineup and the rotation getting minutes. Sessions and Fisher (Sessions acquired after Fish was traded) didn't play together so there was never a 3 way struggle for playing time.

Mike Brown got a lock out shortened season? MDA came in cold turkey without any training camp, during the season, and turned Blake's game around. Can't blame a lockout, when the guy that came in after him had zero time to find who can play and who couldn't.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:50 pm

It's not about excuses but like you said, Blake needed MDA's system to produce like this. I agree but I also argue that Blake always deserved a roster spot and that Phil and Brown were not the ideal coaches for him. That being said, even last year and this year until Nash got hurt, people were hating on Blake and I felt it was unwarranted, especially after what he did last year.

Last season he came back from his injuries and was on a mission. The way he stepped up when Kobe was out was phenomenal. IMO he could have been that player his whole tenure with us, just didn't have a coach that allowed him to do what he does best. That makes him no less of a player, but he got a lot of hate here.
Chillbongo

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:54 pm

karacha wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Put him in a half-court system offense and he's a piece of crap. :man10:

Yeah man, he did not look good playing for Phil at all. Just not that type of player, you know? Blake has plenty of game left, obviously. He's much better then Nash right now. Nash (who I like and really respect) should not even play when we have Blake/Farmar taking care of the PG position. And with Meeks/Young doing what they do best, it's a waste of time to play Blake at the 2.

Blake/Farmar
Meeks/Swaggy
Kobe/Wes
Hill/Shawne
Pau/Kaman

looks good right now.

I would run a bigger lineup for the starters, especially with Kobe who will be more in tuned to playing a half court set. Let Meeks run with the younger set to have a more open court.

Blake/Farmar
Kobe/Meeks
Wes/Young
Hill/Williams
Pau/Kaman

That way, Kobe won't need to expend his energy guarding bigger SF's. Wes can use his length to defend the Durants and Lebrons. Our interior defense should be solid with Wes and Hill in the paint.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby karacha on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Perhaps, we'll see how that works. I like Young at the 2 more... he's not great on D against SGs, but against small forwards, he's a total disaster. At least he gets a steal here and there when he plays behind Meeks. Also, Meeks plays better as a starter now. I'd hate to break his confidence. But we'll see what MDA is going to do. Sooner or later Kobe will see some 3.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:34 pm

It looks fine to me. It certainly seems like there's no room left for a 40 year old Nash who's largely ineffective.

Blake/Farmar
Kobe/Meeks
Young/Henry
Hill/Johnson
Gasol/Kaman

That's my pick, but we're pretty deep so I think there's plenty to go around.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:49 pm

therealdeal wrote:It looks fine to me. It certainly seems like there's no room left for a 40 year old Nash who's largely ineffective.

Blake/Farmar
Kobe/Meeks
Young/Henry
Hill/Johnson
Gasol/Kaman

That's my pick, but we're pretty deep so I think there's plenty to go around.

I just don't like Young starting. I am sure you saw the chart last night during the gameday that TWC put up comparing him as a starter and coming off the bench. He is so much better in all categories and more efficient coming off the bench. Young even said after the game that coming off the bench works better for him because he can see how the game is going and he can play more of his game.

I also think Meeks should start to help space the floor for Kobe when he will get doubled while posting up.

Blake/Farmar
Meeks/Henry
Kobe/Young
Hill/Johnson
Pau/Kaman
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby karacha on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:22 pm

^

I agree. That seems optimal. Except that Wes ends up playing the 4 again.... but someone has to play slightly out of position in the end. If Young can't get it going, Wes can step in and play some SF instead. It's a nice option to have. Basically: If Young doesn't work -- Wes plays some 3. Or if Young gets hot, and Wes seems out of it at the 4 -- Shawne can get minutes at the 4 instead. We're 11 deep, might as well use those guys. One of them has to have a good game on any given night.

However, if you make Kobe a full time 2 again, Meeks might lose his confidence playing very limited minutes as his backup;

Young might end up starting at the 3, and we probably don't want to see him playing with Kobe too much (I don't think I should explain why :man12: );

finally, Henry's minutes might be cut significantly -- or he ends up backing up Young which makes Wes a full-time 4.

That seems too much to overcome. Instead, we do what Battle and me are suggesting, and no one suffers, except maybe Wes here and there. You maximize Meeks, Young and Henry instead, and I doubt Kobe cares much whether he starts at the 2 or the 3. Finally, knowing MDA, he's not opposed to seeing Kobe taking care of the SF position. What can I say... I am a proponent of the Kobe = SF option right now.

In any case, Nash is the odd man out at this point in his career. That much is obvious.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Basically you have to pick one person to not play as many minutes. In my opinion that should be Meeks or Henry. I think Johnson has the most room to grow and the most potential to be an NBA level player for this team. Henry is a close second, but his growth has been stunted these days.

Meeks has been great lately, but we've also seen what he looks like when he's cold and it's nasty. I'd much rather take my chances with guys like Wes, Nick Young, and Henry.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:I stood by Blake as a player I really enjoy watching play......... Now I am glad that he is doing it on all facets of the game. Another great game.

This. And I stood by him as a solid guy on this team, one of the few outside of Kobe (and MWP last year) that has outstanding mental toughness and plays nearly 100% every night. And now those who were hating are biting their tongues and praising him..... :man10: Typical Laker fandrome

You guys act like he didn't deserve criticism. He literally didn't deserve a roster spot until MDA got here. It wasn't "typical Laker fandrome", it was calling a spade a spade.

He deserved criticism for sure but not the hate he got. The guy plays hard every game no matter what he is asked to do. He is playing on another level this year for sure but that doesn't negate all that was overlooked by the fans before his current level of pay.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:02 am

Would be amazing if we could cash in on Blake & Meeks hot starts & package them for a real starting PG. Hill/Blake/Meeks for Rondo :man1:
LakersN4

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:09 pm

LakersN4 wrote:Would be amazing if we could cash in on Blake & Meeks hot starts & package them for a real starting PG. Hill/Blake/Meeks for Rondo :man1:

hope the smiley face means this was a horrible attempt at a bad joke.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Weezy on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:49 pm

12 more assists, he's yet to have a bad night since starting. Please retire Nash, please.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby raviator on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Ok Blake officially has my vote as the starting pg for the rest of this season.
raviator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:58 pm

This offense and these personnel are VERY good for Steve Blake. If he's healthy, he's our starting PG easily.

Nash... I love your heart, but please listen to Father Time. It's over.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:59 pm

so i guess this is why MDA loves this dude so much
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:07 pm

Blake is balling. Love it. Don't think we need to slam Nash to praise Blake. Blakes game is speaking on its own. Way to lead this team again. 12 assist. :bow:
puffyusaf#2

Postby Weezy on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:27 pm

I'm not trying to slam Nash, I would just rather have Blake running the point right now and not have Blake wasted standing around at the 2 spot. Nash as a PG was not running the offense, he was not moving all over the floor setting guys up for alley-oops and throwing fancy bounce passes for easy buckets. Nash was just out there not making shots, passing the ball around as soon as it came to him, and bumping into defenders and falling down a lot. If Nash comes back, he'll get the start even though he doesn't deserve it, so I'm not trying to bash him, I just want him to call it a career is all. :mhihi:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:45 pm

never thought i'd say this but...blake is the superior steve, and it's not even close.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Pig Miller on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:19 pm

this guy is gonna be good trade bait at the deadline!!! (only half serious)

this is the steve blake i thought we'd be getting a few years back. really enjoyed watching him play so far thsi season.
Pig Miller

Postby karacha on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:39 am

This guy is ballin' right now.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:02 am

I don't remember Blake as this type of player (before the Lakers). I knew he was aggressive, I knew he was a good shooter. He's definitely picked up a few things from MDA and Nash while being on this squad.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion