Steve Blake Discussion: Traded To Warriors

Re: Steve Blake Discussion: solid, efficient, productive

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:07 am

hes learned from nash for sure. playing with a huge amount of confidence and really looking like the blake we thought the lakers signed years ago. hitting huge shots, making great reads and passes, scrappy "blake" defense, playing with confidence and running the team very well.

theres a huge correlation between blake playing well and the lakers winning. he def was a huge part of this "turn around" and i hope he continues this level of play. step back J's, spot up 3's, pull up 3's, scoop shots, "nash" type passes, probing....its like a completely different blake out there.

def never gave up on the guy and thought he could be huge for us and glad since hes back from injury hes doing it right
Ariza3

Postby JSM on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:16 am

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter
Since Blake returned, LAL are 17-7 (.708); he’s now hit 11 of 18 3’s in the last 3 games (61.1%), & his perimeter D has been key.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:59 am

He's playing in a system which fits him and you can see MDA giving the green light to shoot to everyone has boosted his confidence ... he was scared to shoot under Clown
wcsoldier81

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:04 am

i guess dantoni wasnt crazy when he kept saying that hes wanted to coach blake
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby KB24 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:06 am

:freak2: Blake is playing well out of nowhere.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby halekulani on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:59 am

the steve blake we all wanted from the start is finally showing
halekulani

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:07 am

CaCHooKa Man wrote:i guess dantoni wasnt crazy when he kept saying that hes wanted to coach blake

Meh, he just has a fetish for small white guards who can't dunk, like him. :man12:
LTLakerFan

Postby denimPortugal on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:46 am

halekulani wrote:the steve blake we all wanted from the start is finally showing

The Steve Blake of the JailBlazers!!
denimPortugal

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:49 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Somewhere puffy and I are playing a jazzy tune and feeling smug right now...

:bow:

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:10 am

denimPortugal wrote:
halekulani wrote:the steve blake we all wanted from the start is finally showing

The Steve Blake of the JailBlazers!!

I used to :mad1: when that Steve would light us up. Now I'm like :jam2:
Chillbongo

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:48 am

CaCHooKa Man wrote:i guess dantoni wasnt crazy when he kept saying that hes wanted to coach blake

^^ I know! I really thought he was just trying to boost his confidence or something. I was thinking, "has he seen the way Blake has played the last two years?" But damn, I agree with I believe it was JSM who put the question - is Blake the biggest beneficiary of playing under D' Antoni? I have to say yes. The guy is just thriving. He's been outstanding in the backup PG role since returning from injury. Last night? Wow!!! Keep it up Steve.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:57 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Somewhere puffy and I are playing a jazzy tune and feeling smug right now...

I don't wanna toot my own horn but ehem! add me to the smug, jazz tune playing group :man10: I've defended Blake for a long time, and never failed to praise him after good games or point out the positives in so-so games...
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:05 am

Finwë wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:

I don't wanna toot my own horn but ehem! add me to the smug, jazz tune playing group :man10: I've defended Blake for a long time, and never failed to praise him after good games or point out the positives in so-so games...

we got a trio going :jam2:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:11 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Finwë wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:

we got a trio going :jam2:

Spoiler:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:21 am

I got dibs on being Hairy :jam2:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby davriver290 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:31 am

I've always defended this guy. My only complaint was that he doesn't shoot enough.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:59 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:I got dibs on being Hairy :jam2:

Oh My....
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby XXIV on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:03 pm

I love that he's actually penetrating the defense which is what killed us back when he was with Portland. With Phil/Brown he would just dribble around the perimeter looking to set up guys with post ups, which just about any player can do.
XXIV

Postby TIME on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Before you guys toot your own horns too loudly please remember that the Mike Brown version of Steve Blake was horribad. The MDA version is awesome. If anyone needed a reason to justify hiring MDA the strongest case is Steve Blake.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:24 pm

TIME wrote:Before you guys toot your own horns too loudly please remember that the Mike Brown version of Steve Blake was horribad. The MDA version is awesome. If anyone needed a reason to justify hiring MDA the strongest case is Steve Blake.

^^ Agreed. If you remember I defended Steve Blake plenty for a long time. But last year I just couldn't take his consistent inconsistency any longer. Basically his play last year became . . . indefensible.

He really has come alive under MDA though. If MDA is staying I would welcome one more year with Blake as backup PG considering his recent play. But let's see if he can hang in there and keep being productive first of course.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Legendary on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:

Oh My....

Legendary

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:04 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
TIME wrote:Before you guys toot your own horns too loudly please remember that the Mike Brown version of Steve Blake was horribad. The MDA version is awesome. If anyone needed a reason to justify hiring MDA the strongest case is Steve Blake.

^^ Agreed. If you remember I defended Steve Blake plenty for a long time. But last year I just couldn't take his consistent inconsistency any longer. Basically his play last year became . . . indefensible.

He really has come alive under MDA though. If MDA is staying I would welcome one more year with Blake as backup PG considering his recent play. But let's see if he can hang in there and keep being productive first of course.

Here's the thing: I bashed the crap out of him last year. :man10:

But I've also been one that has been pretty damn fair to him when almost everybody had dismissed him. Heck khmrp still hates him for some reason.

And I'm talking more about how puffy and I were basically the only ones (Finwe too) who were in here after games since his return saying "hm... he looks good. He looks different." Even when he was doing well earlier in the season we were the ones responsible for this thread's bumpage.

But I'll be the first to say he sucked the last two years. Most of his hate as a Laker is pretty much warranted. It's just nice to see others catching on about how he's played since his return from injury.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:12 pm

Lakerjones wrote:

He plays hard at both ends and a lot of darting around and jumping. Just needs to keep from getting hurt. If it happens well bleep happens and should not mean Steve Black should start getting a bunch of hate again from those thinking these guys are robots and having a high tolerance for their level of pain. Some of the normal type injuries just happen and don't mean a player is necessarily injury prone. Unless your last name is Oden or Bynum.

I know I know..... stepping on a spike strip and the abdominal thing not your usual injuries, but what the hell Shaq missed a lot of time due to a freaking toe and his abs as well. Kobe....out with that ankle.... the puss.

:man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Here is why I'll toot my own horn with one of those oversized cartoon horns that blows people away.

1. I have always contended that Blake was doing the little things that didn't show up on the stat sheets.

2. Under Phil and Mike he was told to play a very certain way which was to basically feed the post and run the offense. Under that he hardly ever was aggressive instead looking to always pass. When he did shoot it was usually out of desperation.

3. I said the way Blake is going to play better is when and if the other guys start moving instead of just watching. I mean lets be real, people were saying Steve Nash sucks as a PG earlier in the season. Steve Nash one of the greatest passing (and shooting) PG's in NBA history sucks.I am not saying Blake is in Nash's league as a PG (offensively) but the fact is Nash looks like his old self because guys are moving (and hitting shots)

4. Last season when guys were killing Blake for getting torched and praising Sessions I went back and started breaking down the games to show how Blake was getting the raw end of the hate. The guy plays solid to great D most of the times and he never forces his game or complains about touches, minutes, shots or anything.

Now, I too complained that he was entirely too passive last year. Between him and Pau I have never seen two players who absolutely refused to shoot like that before. When Coach D came he preached two things for the offense 1) The ball moves it finds energy and 2) players need to move and be in constant motion. Early in the season Nash, Blake and Kobe were all getting turnovers because they would penetrate and guys would stand and watch. No one would move to improve the passing angle (or drop down to the level of the ball like Stu says) instead they just stood and watched. Fans blamed Coach D, then Nash/Blake and still blaiming Kobe (some at least) but when Earl Clark and Twan started racking up points because of simple cuts the guys started to get it. Now, Nash is a God again, Blake is playing like Portland Steve and Kobe is still being hated by illogical people. In any case, Blake will have bad games again but he never takes games off where he isn't bringing the energy, defensive pressure and big-balls Kobe dance effort to the game. That is why I'll toot my horn a little loud and proud.
puffyusaf#2

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:03 pm

Legendary wrote:
Tobias Funke wrote:

Oh My....

Imma a sexy B****, Yeah Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Austin Powers :man1: )
puffyusaf#2

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion