Steve Blake Discussion: Traded To Warriors

Re: Steve Blake Discussion

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:26 pm

i thought he played pretty well...at least he didnt add to the 25 turnovers. He made some good reads and passes. I think, as usual, he needs to me more aggressive. Jamison isnt doing much, Ebanks isnt playing as much as he should now, and Meeks is catch and shoot. Blake has to be more aggressive and make the D respond to him not the other way around. Shoot the semi-open jumper or the open 3. You'll probably make it and that can only open things up for others.

This new offense is messing with everyone...but Blake has been looking better than last year so far imo and looks to have learned a few things from Nash as his probing has gotten a little better.
Ariza3

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:28 pm

He didn't play that well.

Okay.

Whatever you say Rock. I don't know what else you want from a 30+ backup PG but 7/3/3 and 2 steals. Guess what? Those are the numbers we'd expect coming from Delonte West. Just because he passed up on a few semi-open shots doesn't mean he didn't play well.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Frank Dux on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:34 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten
Steve Blake: "It's hard to find positives right now."
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

Then find them you idiot! I can't wait until this clown is playing in China, where he belongs. This loser has no urgency and sucks the life out of the team.
Frank Dux

Postby The Rock on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:36 pm

therealdeal wrote:He didn't play that well.

Okay.

Whatever you say Rock. I don't know what else you want from a 30+ backup PG but 7/3/3 and 2 steals. Guess what? Those are the numbers we'd expect coming from Delonte West. Just because he passed up on a few semi-open shots doesn't mean he didn't play well.

we need more. Thats the reality of our situation. Hes not stopping anyone on defense so he needs to justify the playing time by contributing on offense. Numbers lie, it can undersell or oversell a performance, Im just going by what I see. He needs to be more aggressive, Dwight sets fantastic screens, he needs to use that to his advantage and look to shoot the open 17 footer or at any other instances hes open. We cant have him play 25 mins and not have his fingerprints on the game thats all I have to say.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:37 pm

This guy is going to lock down Chris Paul.

I'm calling it right now. He's going to have 4 turnovers in the 1st quarter leading to 9 points, but he's going to make Paul shoot 1-5 with 2 assists and a turnover in the 1st quarter.

That's as far as my psychic powers go though.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:40 pm

The Rock wrote:we need more. Thats the reality of our situation. Hes not stopping anyone on defense so he needs to justify the playing time by contributing on offense. Numbers lie, it can undersell or oversell a performance, Im just going by what I see. He needs to be more aggressive, Dwight sets fantastic screens, he needs to use that to his advantage and look to shoot the open 17 footer or at any other instances hes open. We cant have him play 25 mins and not have his fingerprints on the game thats all I have to say.

Actually he played pretty good defense on Lillard in the 4th. I don't have the numbers, but I remember on isolation plays he did a very good job of staying in front of Lillard on the perimeter. I remember 3 misses. Lillard drove on him twice I think and made one... Hard to remember all the details.

Anyway, I'm going by what I see and what I see is a better Steve Blake by far than we had last season. I'm seeing a backup PG doing about as good as can be expected. He's not a good midrange shooter off the dribble, so expecting him to take that curl shot that Nash is good at is putting your hopes in the wrong area. What he needs to do is realize that he can push towards the basket and throw something at the rim and Howard will most likely clean it up.

Either way, he did just fine. If Blake is playing with the starters, I don't necessarily want his fingerprints on the game. I want him to do exactly what he did yesterday. If he's playing with the starters, I want Kobe's fingerprints on the game.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm

Lillard was 1/2 in the 4th quarter. He missed a 3 when Blake was in the game and made a jumper when Blake wasn't in the game.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:57 pm

Hm. Who was their point then and who was Blake guarding?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:00 pm

Nolan Smith initially, but Blake/Lillard played the rest of the 4th quarter starting at 6:24 left in the game.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:02 pm

Hm... Blake was guarding someone who took two jumpshots :man10: I remember because I thought well Blake is doing a decent job of contesting this shot.

Thanks for all the info. I honestly couldn't remember the backup PG over there.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Steve Blake Discussion (Likely to start against Clips)

Postby Finwë on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:30 pm

I remember an excelent defensive play Blake made stopping a layup/dunk and forcing a jump ball. I don't remember much more, which is probably a good sign that he didn't make many mistakes.
Blake's whole problem is passiveness/hesitation on offense. When he shoots without hesitating he can be great.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby The Original 81 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:38 pm

Blake actually crossed up Lillard in one sequence late in the 4th. We scored, but I'm not sure if it was Blake or someone else off his feed because I was shocked he took it to him off the dribble.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby purp n gold on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:14 pm

I don't think it's doomsday if Blake starts.

When Nash came over did anyone think he'd play 82 games? If you did you were fooling yourself. We all knew that the reality of injuries were real, and any backup we got would have been a stop gap solution. And Blake and Duhon are just that.

There's no reason why a team fielding Kobe, Pau and Dwight couldn't win a game on any given night. Nash isn't stopping CP3, neither are Blake or Duhon. An organized team defense will minimize CP3 from winning the game. If we don't have that, don't blame Blake and think that'll be the answer to the problem.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby The Rock on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:06 pm

I'd rather put MWP on CP3 and briefly on Eric Bledsoe if hes out with the 2nd unit. If CP3 is gonna torch MWP let that be. I dont see guys like Willie Green and Matt Barnes doing much with Blake guarding them. Hopefully Brown makes this adjustment.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lotus on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:10 pm

CP3 will feast off of a plate of Blake.
lotus

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:58 pm

oh its going to be a FIELD DAY for Paul and Bledsoe. Hopefully brown isn't dumb enough to let him guard them. Would rather him give mwp a crack at them...
King of Clutch

Postby blakeruns on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:01 pm

negativity is contagious.
keepin it fresh eight days a week
blakeruns
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:08 am

He played a decent game ... give him credit when it's due ... his production was solid for a backup PG
wcsoldier81

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 am

The Rock wrote:Hopefully Brown makes this adjustment.

Never happening
Coach Brown has made up his mind
To be a moron
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Scnottaken on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:33 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:

Never happening
To be a moron

For a man speaking in Haiku, you make some very good points.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby 432J on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:46 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:

Never happening
To be a moron

Brown making an adjustment?

:man10:
432J

Postby noobiew on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:26 am

Steve Blake/Chris Duhon vs Chris Paul/Eric Bledsoe

WOW ! what a huge mismatches here ! :wow:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:07 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:He played a decent game ... give him credit when it's due ... his production was solid for a backup PG

I thought so too. Too much Steve Black hate even when he plays decently. :disagree:
LTLakerFan

Postby trodgers on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:38 pm

^ Could you please stop calling him Steve Black and insinuating that black is bad?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:20 pm

i think he'll be shooting more tonight if nash doesnt play. he'll have to.

would like to see DJO get some mins behind him if nash isnt playing. duhon will be a 0 if hes the backup to blake
Ariza3

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion