Steve Blake Discussion: Traded To Warriors

Re: Official STEVE BLAKE Appreciation Thread

Postby gninerfan21 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:26 am

TIME wrote:Yeah Steve Blake sucks... he missed two shots tonight. If he was any good he would have made them all.

Clearly his pre-season performance means we're set at PG.

(Disclaimer- Don't bump this post 8 months from now saying I'm wrong, I think he'll be great I just think its premature to appreciate pre-season performances.)
gninerfan21

Postby gninerfan21 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:28 am

therealdeal wrote:There's dozens of threads every season that are have no point, no purpose, and contribute almost nothing to the site.

This man put up fantastic numbers today, the coaching staff is raving about him, and he's proven himself already to be a more capable leader off the bench than Farmar ever could.

Considering the biggest thread I can ever remember being in the Lakers Discussion area was the Ron Artest thread that was 500 pages before he even became a Laker, I say this thread is perfect.

That Ron Artest thread was not an appreciation thread it was a Trade thread.
gninerfan21

Postby jonnyshevanel on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:28 am

gninerfan21 wrote:
TIME wrote:Yeah Steve Blake sucks... he missed two shots tonight. If he was any good he would have made them all.

(Disclaimer- Don't bump this post 8 months from now saying I'm wrong, I think he'll be great I just think its premature to appreciate pre-season performances.)

jonnyshevanel

Postby gninerfan21 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:32 am

jonnyshevanel wrote:
gninerfan21 wrote:
jonnyshevanel wrote:Well I'm sure everyone is very sorry that it was made slightly early for your liking, I'm sure this will be rectified.

Thanks, just dont let it happen again.

I'll be sure to contact the ClubLakers authorities and see to it that mistakes like this are avoided in the future. You can fill out a formal complaint if you'd like.

No need to tell anyone, just learn from your mistakes and we're good.
gninerfan21

Postby gninerfan21 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:33 am

jonnyshevanel wrote:Image

Pre-season performances win titles.
gninerfan21

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:35 am

gninerfan21 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:There's dozens of threads every season that are have no point, no purpose, and contribute almost nothing to the site.

This man put up fantastic numbers today, the coaching staff is raving about him, and he's proven himself already to be a more capable leader off the bench than Farmar ever could.

Considering the biggest thread I can ever remember being in the Lakers Discussion area was the Ron Artest thread that was 500 pages before he even became a Laker, I say this thread is perfect.

Besides the point.

Also, why does it take contribution to be appreciated? DJ Mbenga had an appreciation thread. Vujacic does. Farmar did. Why can't people appreciate him right now?

I find this completely unnecessary by the way. Why shouldn't people have an appreciation for a player that's so clearly doing well for the team? Ludicrous.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby jonnyshevanel on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:36 am

gninerfan21 wrote:Pre-season performances win titles.

My friend, no one in here said that.

You need to stop being contrary for the sake of being contrary.
jonnyshevanel

Postby Alcindor on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:51 am

gninerfan21 wrote:

the pre-season is a premature time to appreciate pre-season performances?

classic
Alcindor

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:18 am

therealdeal wrote:
gninerfan21 wrote:

Besides the point.

Also, why does it take contribution to be appreciated? DJ Mbenga had an appreciation thread. Vujacic does. Farmar did. Why can't people appreciate him right now?

I find this completely unnecessary by the way. Why shouldn't people have an appreciation for a player that's so clearly doing well for the team? Ludicrous.

I agree with this.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby abeer3 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:58 am

lol @ sandintheginer. there seems to be an appreciation thread for every lakers player each year. this will be blake's. the fact that it started early means nothing.

i'm sure the heat fans appreciate lebron despite him not having played a regular season game. and rightfully so.
abeer3

Postby ZenMaster4President on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:03 am

What''s wrong with little positivity, however unwarranted and premature it may be?

Besides, how about appreciating him for getting us rid of the "we need a real PG" threads, at least for the time being?
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby jackflag on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:51 am

Just so happy, preseason or not. Every controlled drive and precision pass last night felt like Christmas, all over again.

I'm sorry, its just been so long. Hard...hard to contain it. :man6:

The days of Kobe being the only reliable ballhandler/creator in the backcourt...over. The days of "get the ball out of Kobe's hands in the backcourt and kill the offense fluidity...gone. The days of "please no one try to dribble, just pass it to Pau and spot up"....finished.

I've visualized this day for so long. And now its finally here. It's almost overwhelming, still, even in the after wake. Thank you, basketball gods, for this gift. I had forgotten. Forgotten what it was like.

Oh YEA! :jam2:
jackflag

Postby trodgers on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:26 am

Simmer down in here, you lot.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby chug o nomics on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:36 am

:jam2: Blake
"The thing that made push pops good is that you had to work for them. IF YOU WERE WEAK YOU DIDN'T GET ANY."
chug o nomics

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:29 am

Also don't sleep on Blake's capability to deliver the big tomahawk forearm crack to back of large opponents' shoulders when they've pissed him off, like against Utah 2 games ago...... :boxing1:
LTLakerFan

Postby karacha on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:38 am

Blake is a perfect PG for the triangle. OK, I know... Deron would be better, right?

Still, I like what this skinny dude brings to the team. I like seeing him and Barnes on the court together. There's a lot of fire, defensive intensity etc... good stuff. Oh yes: for some reason Blake and Odom have great chemistry already. Why is that?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:15 am

Getting a seasoned vet PG for the second unit is going to pay huge dividends for us in the long run.....this should be obvious.

Blake is our biggest free agent pickup this year....he can lead the bench with steady play and blend in with the starters if needed. He's a pretty well rounded player.....and does a little of everything, and does it well.
kray28

Postby Center Court on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:57 am

Im not going to lie, I was one of the people skeptical about signing Blake to the majority of the MLE.. BUT he is such a good fit it's crazy.

He plays with amazing control, knows where to be, can hit shots, is a willing defentder, still has some flash to his game, and best of all he knows his role. He is no Rose/Rondo/D Will/CP3 but hes def a very solid back up for a team with 5 all stars (or could/should be all stars).
Center Court

Postby THE_LAKE_SHOW24 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:00 am

Center Court wrote:Im not going to lie, I was one of the people skeptical about signing Blake to the majority of the MLE.. BUT he is such a good fit it's crazy.

He plays with amazing control, knows where to be, can hit shots, is a willing defentder, still has some flash to his game, and best of all he knows his role. He is no Rose/Rondo/D Will/CP3 but hes def a very solid back up for a team with 5 all stars (or could/should be all stars).

:beer:
Can you guys do anything to free you up off of him or make some adjustments for next game?
-"Um I'm not really too concerned about it to be honest with you. I mean I'm more concerned about gettin' rebounds & loose balls, stuff like that. When push comes to shove I can always get a bucket."
Kobe Bryant; Postgame interview game 4 2010 NBA Finals
THE_LAKE_SHOW24

Postby jackflag on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:47 am

karacha wrote:Blake is a perfect PG for the triangle. OK, I know... Deron would be better, right?

Still, I like what this skinny dude brings to the team. I like seeing him and Barnes on the court together. There's a lot of fire, defensive intensity etc... good stuff. Oh yes: for some reason Blake and Odom have great chemistry already. Why is that?

Odom has had good chemistry with every above average passer who's played for the Lakers (Kobe, Pau, Luke, Blake). He's a versatile target who puts himself in good position off the ball. A good creator will find him.
jackflag

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:57 am

jackflag wrote:
karacha wrote:Blake is a perfect PG for the triangle. OK, I know... Deron would be better, right?

Odom has had good chemistry with every above average passer who's played for the Lakers (Kobe, Pau, Luke, Blake). He's a versatile target who puts himself in good position off the ball. A good creator will find him.

Exactly. The two of them are pass first players, so they see each other a lot. And since they both know when to pass and who to pass to, they know where to go. Pass first players are usually good fits for each other on the court.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:03 pm

^Yes, Odom is a pass first player but now with Blake likely doing most of the facilitating he can play selfishly and look to score. He knows he'll get the rock back without wondering when and how. Farmar's one on one tendencies really hampered the continuity, prevented others from playing comfortably to their talents and within the confines of the shot clock.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:11 pm

^ Absolutely. It's going to be great knowing that if someone gets a shot on Blake, he's not going to come back down the court and make a brash decision to try to get back at him. He'll just run the offense as usual and find an open man.

That's a good point about Lamar being able to be more selfish. That made me think, maybe that's why he's been so much more comfortable looking in the offense? Sure, his confidence is also at an all-time high, but now that I think of it, maybe he just likes that he's able to have a little of the pressure taken off of him.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:22 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ Absolutely. It's going to be great knowing that if someone gets a shot on Blake, he's not going to come back down the court and make a brash decision to try to get back at him. He'll just run the offense as usual and find an open man.

That's a good point about Lamar being able to be more selfish. That made me think, maybe that's why he's been so much more comfortable looking in the offense? Sure, his confidence is also at an all-time high, but now that I think of it, maybe he just likes that he's able to have a little of the pressure taken off of him.

While not as athletic in comparison [but not by much] Blake is ACTUALLY a better defender than Farmar was who had the tools but not the desire. He will chase his assignment instead of trailing and relying on help off rotations. So that exchange might not be so prominent as before.

On offense with Blake initiating, the others on the floor can run their cuts, go to their spots and be given opportunities. Coincidentally, Farmar who is in a looser system looks better by being able to improvise. Blake can look to find Odom on the wings...Brown on the open floor and Barnes or Vujacic on the perimeter. It's like having Walton's discipline at the guard spot only it's a real guard.
Last edited by gcclaker on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby jackflag on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:29 pm

This conversation makes me smile.

Great points, all around.
jackflag

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion