Steve Blake Discussion: Traded To Warriors

Re: Steve Blake Discussion (taking flight vs pelicans tues p.78)

Postby Kit on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:34 pm

I like Blake more than ever after watching Morris playing for months.
Kit

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:07 am

therealdeal wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:I'll continue to be the sole praiser of Blake on this board. The guy manages the team very well. Before he got injured he was playing very well. Tonight he came in and kept the offense flowing. He doesn't look for his shot but will take it when he has too. Solid game from Blake after being gone for so long.

I praised the guy for a long time man, but he really doesn't deserve a whole ton of praise. :man10:

I think he played alright today. Definitely his energy is different than Duhon's. Duhon a lot of the time seemed like he wasn't trying all that hard. Well now he's on the bench where he belongs.

I look forward to Blake's effort if not his effectiveness.

You are right Real he doesn't deserve a whole "ton" of praise. He also doesn't deserve nearly any of the hate he gets. The guy puts on the floor, he doesn't make a great deal of mistakes and he usually keeps the offense flowing. He isn't agressive enough at times but he is a very solid backup. I remember getting into a discussion about how Blake was actually not playing bad last year. When I broke down all the plays all I got was crickets. His defense is pretty darn good.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 am

Finwë wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:I'll continue to be the sole praiser of Blake on this board. The guy manages the team very well. Before he got injured he was playing very well. Tonight he came in and kept the offense flowing. He doesn't look for his shot but will take it when he has too. Solid game from Blake after being gone for so long.

Hey, I've been "defending" (not hating, pointing out the things he did well) the guy too. He can stink it up once in a while, but I never understood the level of hate he got. I understand criticism, I understand being annoyed, but some here just seem to go a little bit overboard on their perception of his level of play.

My bad.... I did not mean to alienate others who aren't just trying hating for the sake of hating the guy. :bow:
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:13 am

Blake does not do anything to impact the game most of the time BUT he does not screw up much either. He sometimes passes up opportunities to shoot. When Blake takes it upon himself to tee it up, he isn't too bad and makes the defense account for him.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 am

clubsoto24 wrote:
khmrP wrote:
clubsoto24 wrote:Haha I can't wait till some of you change your negative perception about Blake. He was actually doing really well on the defensive end and had a quicker step prior to his injury. He didn't really have any turnovers either.

fail, he turned it over when he tried to pass to Jamison foot and lead to a 3pt play on the other end which was on him as well.

Fail on YOU! I posted that before the game started homie.

great for YOU! then, keep up your praise and dont switch up the next time we actually face a backup with speed thats gona run circles around him.
khmrP

Postby Forward Three on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:31 am

He was solid in his first game back tonight. Moved the ball well, kept his dribble alive, didn't get trapped often or make many dumb mistakes. Veteran play from a veteran player. You don't need Steve Blake providing heavy lifting, but for a team that has struggled so much with turnovers, dumb plays and other self-inflicted nonsense, having a guy that can be more reliable and intelligent is a big upside.
Forward Three

Postby khmrP on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:32 am

why should a guy get praise for doing the basics? Sure if you compare him to the other scrub like Morris, Blake does deserve praise......guys over the years who played above and beyond expectation deserve praise like Brown when he 1st got here and got his chance, Ariza, and now Clark. These guys deserve praise cause they played beyond what we would've hoped for.
khmrP

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:27 am

Feels way more comfortable having him on the court when nash is out than when morris or duhon are in.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:17 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

I praised the guy for a long time man, but he really doesn't deserve a whole ton of praise. :man10:

I think he played alright today. Definitely his energy is different than Duhon's. Duhon a lot of the time seemed like he wasn't trying all that hard. Well now he's on the bench where he belongs.

You are right Real he doesn't deserve a whole "ton" of praise. He also doesn't deserve nearly any of the hate he gets. The guy puts on the floor, he doesn't make a great deal of mistakes and he usually keeps the offense flowing. He isn't agressive enough at times but he is a very solid backup. I remember getting into a discussion about how Blake was actually not playing bad last year. When I broke down all the plays all I got was crickets. His defense is pretty darn good.

I don't disagree. I think people get caught up in needing someone to blame or needing someone to be hard on. Sometimes there's no clear cut "zero" in the game. He went out there and he did some nice things on the floor. Nothing special, nothing great, but certainly he was a lot better out there then Duhon/Morris are.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:18 am

I have no problem with Blake playing the backup 1. I've seen Duhon and while he had some good games he's basically just as inconsistent as Blake. I thought he might prove to be an upgrade, but while I like Duhon's offense a little more, I prefer Blake's D. In the end it might be splitting hairs. But at least it's nice to have a choice. I really hope this means no more Morris this year except in garbage time.

I just never want to see Blake at the 2 ever again.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:34 am

ignoring his asst/ppg due to having to be a backup now, his fg% and 3pt% has all been on the decline for the 2 seasons he's played for us thus far, I'd say the hate is warranted and never mind his random injuries that just happen out the blue, I mean how many former players have we seen strain a rib muscle while dribbling without any pressure, get chicken pocks in his mid 30's, or worst yet walk on a spike stripe (worse then space cadet and his snowboarding accident)
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:44 am

^ But Rad didn't do it snowboarding did he? I thought that was his cover up because he actually just slipped on a pack of ice and was too embarassed to admit that. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:56 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ But Rad didn't do it snowboarding did he? I thought that was his cover up because he actually just slipped on a pack of ice and was too embarassed to admit that. :man10:

No the whole slipped on ice thing was a lie he told Phil because he actually dislocated his shoulder while snowboarding which violated his contract. He got fined $500,000 or about 10% of his salary.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2784898
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:11 pm

XXIV wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ But Rad didn't do it snowboarding did he? I thought that was his cover up because he actually just slipped on a pack of ice and was too embarassed to admit that. :man10:

No the whole slipped on ice thing was a lie he told Phil because he actually dislocated his shoulder while snowboarding which violated his contract. He got fined $500,000 or about 10% of his salary.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2784898

Oh I see. Ireland had it backwards on the radio not too long ago.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:34 pm

I was really happy to see Steve Black out there again yesterday. To me by far he has the best chance of continuing to play "most Nashlike" when Nash is on the bench. Already you could see him darting all around in the big gaps that our offense and passing is now creating. In the Tri...not so much. As a pure point with the Princeton not so much. I "actual" expect him to play very well for us the rest of the season once he gets his timing and conditioning back. Quick, decent defender and can shoot decently.
LTLakerFan

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:41 pm

khmrP wrote:ignoring his asst/ppg due to having to be a backup now, his fg% and 3pt% has all been on the decline for the 2 seasons he's played for us thus far, I'd say the hate is warranted and never mind his random injuries that just happen out the blue, I mean how many former players have we seen strain a rib muscle while dribbling without any pressure, get chicken pocks in his mid 30's, or worst yet walk on a spike stripe (worse then space cadet and his snowboarding accident)

That is all simple biased hate.

I'll say it just like James said yesterday after the game, "Blake is a very good back that does the little things. He plays defense the right way and he gets the guys involved that need to be involved." Or maybe Horry's thought on him, "Many people look at his scoring and think he doesn't do anything but I was a 5ppg guy too. It was about all the other stuff that doesn't go on the stat sheet." What is remarkable is if the guy was super aggressive you guys would be complaining that he thinks he is Westprick or something. Another thing you fail to realize is that Blake wasn't trying to shoot like he did on other teams when he got here. The Lakers wanted him to facilitate but now I expect to see more shots from him and percentages closer to his career levels.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:51 pm

therealdeal wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

I don't disagree. I think people get caught up in needing someone to blame or needing someone to be hard on. Sometimes there's no clear cut "zero" in the game. He went out there and he did some nice things on the floor. Nothing special, nothing great, but certainly he was a lot better out there then Duhon/Morris are.

What amazes me Real is how easy we said he "did nothing special" when a guy is running the offense and allowing Nash to rest. He only played 13:25 in the game but got 2 boards and 4 assist (mostly to jamison I think). Then he only shot twice which one was a last second shot that he missed. On top of that he had the 3rd highest +/- on the team behind Pau and Meeks. You know I am not a stat geek so all that means only a little to me. However, I watch the guy play defense, fight through screens and chase his man the right way around the court. No one gets easy shots on this dude yet fans can say "nothing special." Can Kobe, Worthy, Mike and even Horry all be that blind about the what the guy brings to the team? Hell,even PJax praises the guy but here we are in fanhood hating on him (Im not saying you). It baffles me that so many people who actually know the game and understand the subtle parts of it can hate on the guy.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby JLaker17 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:52 pm

I thought he played pretty well yesterday.
JLaker17

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:11 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
What amazes me Real is how easy we said he "did nothing special" when a guy is running the offense and allowing Nash to rest. He only played 13:25 in the game but got 2 boards and 4 assist (mostly to jamison I think). Then he only shot twice which one was a last second shot that he missed. On top of that he had the 3rd highest +/- on the team behind Pau and Meeks. You know I am not a stat geek so all that means only a little to me. However, I watch the guy play defense, fight through screens and chase his man the right way around the court. No one gets easy shots on this dude yet fans can say "nothing special." Can Kobe, Worthy, Mike and even Horry all be that blind about the what the guy brings to the team? Hell,even PJax praises the guy but here we are in fanhood hating on him (Im not saying you). It baffles me that so many people who actually know the game and understand the subtle parts of it can hate on the guy.

The thing is, what I consider special would be someone like Calderon or Lowry off the bench which means we're getting a good scoring option AND a good assist guy. What Blake provides for us is a body that gives a guy rest. The distinction is there between a great player (comparatively) and a good player who's going to give some production and provide us with some good things.

I happen to like Blake the person. I happen to like that he gives us everything on the floor every night. He's a fighter and he's going to attack all game long. I appreciate that. He doesn't have any give in him and when he's in a rhythm he's not afraid of the moment.

But he's not GREAT. He's solid. Giving Nash a rest and giving us a few points a few assists a night is solid, it's not great. What he CAN give the team is actually more than what we've ever seen from him and I think that's what everyone is upset about. Heck, this guy dropped a triple double on us the game before he signed here. We haven't seen THAT Steve Blake yet. You know?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:41 pm

therealdeal wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:

The thing is, what I consider special would be someone like Calderon or Lowry off the bench which means we're getting a good scoring option AND a good assist guy. What Blake provides for us is a body that gives a guy rest. The distinction is there between a great player (comparatively) and a good player who's going to give some production and provide us with some good things.

I happen to like Blake the person. I happen to like that he gives us everything on the floor every night. He's a fighter and he's going to attack all game long. I appreciate that. He doesn't have any give in him and when he's in a rhythm he's not afraid of the moment.

But he's not GREAT. He's solid. Giving Nash a rest and giving us a few points a few assists a night is solid, it's not great. What he CAN give the team is actually more than what we've ever seen from him and I think that's what everyone is upset about. Heck, this guy dropped a triple double on us the game before he signed here. We haven't seen THAT Steve Blake yet. You know?

Yea I see all that but Blake wasn't asked to do what he did against us when he joined us. He was to get others involved. When he was with Portland he was free to attack at will and he put up great games. The guys you compare him to have had different roles on their teams than Blake had here. Looking at his career we know he can put up numbers if he wants but he plays within the scope of the team plan, a bit too much sometimes. I really expect to see his numbers increase as he gets into game shape.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:26 pm

I understand that, and you touched on the other reason some people are upset.

He's TOO unselfish. Much like Pau has been the last two years and much like Sessions was when he got here and much like Nash was to start this season. Sometimes you've GOT to be selfish to a degree so you can get the points and shots you need to get. What's happened with him lately is that he's been so unaggresive with his own shot other teams know how to defend him.

You can't hold that against him TOO much, but a lot of people are just sick of seeing it. I know we don't ask for that much from but it'd nice to see it once or twice.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:09 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
khmrP wrote:ignoring his asst/ppg due to having to be a backup now, his fg% and 3pt% has all been on the decline for the 2 seasons he's played for us thus far, I'd say the hate is warranted and never mind his random injuries that just happen out the blue, I mean how many former players have we seen strain a rib muscle while dribbling without any pressure, get chicken pocks in his mid 30's, or worst yet walk on a spike stripe (worse then space cadet and his snowboarding accident)

That is all simple biased hate.

I'll say it just like James said yesterday after the game, "Blake is a very good back that does the little things. He plays defense the right way and he gets the guys involved that need to be involved." Or maybe Horry's thought on him, "Many people look at his scoring and think he doesn't do anything but I was a 5ppg guy too. It was about all the other stuff that doesn't go on the stat sheet." What is remarkable is if the guy was super aggressive you guys would be complaining that he thinks he is Westprick or something. Another thing you fail to realize is that Blake wasn't trying to shoot like he did on other teams when he got here. The Lakers wanted him to facilitate but now I expect to see more shots from him and percentages closer to his career levels.

pulling a rib muscle with simple dribbling and stepping on spike stripes are biased hate? Like I noted I'll ignore his asst/ppg because he's a backup but I can't ignore his fg% and 3pt% one bit, those types of #'s warrant dleague status. His D is nothing special, he hasn't faced any type of backup Pg yet thats gona force him to actually defend. Tonight, another typical Blake gm, nothing bad but nothing good either to help the team, while Telfair blows he still got the shots he wanted to bad for him he's to dumb to realize he wasn't a shooter but he still got open off of Blake.
khmrP

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:38 pm

therealdeal wrote:I understand that, and you touched on the other reason some people are upset.

He's TOO unselfish. Much like Pau has been the last two years and much like Sessions was when he got here and much like Nash was to start this season. Sometimes you've GOT to be selfish to a degree so you can get the points and shots you need to get. What's happened with him lately is that he's been so unaggresive with his own shot other teams know how to defend him.

You can't hold that against him TOO much, but a lot of people are just sick of seeing it. I know we don't ask for that much from but it'd nice to see it once or twice.

no argument from me there cause I agree that Blake needs to be more aggressive which he has been since returning. Of course, if he did shoot more what would stop people for giving him the MWP treatment?
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:50 pm

^^^you mean leaving him wide open so he can still brick his 3pt attempts?
khmrP

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:30 pm

khmrP wrote:^^^you mean leaving him wide open so he can still brick his 3pt attempts?

LOL..Your hate is deep. The players need to take the wide open shots. MWP was supposed to take the open shots. OK, he missed a bit but that is what the offense gave him. Blake doesn't shoot a ton but his shooting percentage (previously) is pretty nice especially from the outside. Before he got injured he was doing a lot of good things for the team. More importantly he doesn't try to step out of his game like Ron does from time to time. If the offense give blake the shot I want him to take the open shot.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion