Steve Blake Discussion: Traded To Warriors

Re: Steve Blake Discussion: solid, efficient, productive

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:54 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:I bet he has more takes to the hole since he's came back from injury than he has in his whole Lakers tenure. And I'm being serious.

yea, and hes also been attacking the basket more

He's moving out of the "softcore" business it seems. :man1:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:04 am

Blake has been solid to good far more than bad or average since he came back. IMO he's playing his best overall ball as a Laker, looking like the legit backup PG we all expected him to be and that he used to be.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:09 am

he shouldve stepped on a spike strip 2 years ago
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:14 am

I agree...Steve Blake has kept that 2nd unit very steady...8 and 5 tonight...couldn't ask for much more from this guy. He definitely looks like the Blake we all THOUGHT we were getting when he originally signed with us....
FabFourLakers

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:29 am

solid. again. he has good vision and when he gets to play a regular PG role he can excel. he has some quick drives and kicks as well as a couple good layups and 3 pointers.

i like his play and on defense he was scrapping around and getting his hands on the ball etc.
Ariza3

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:57 am

Doc Brown wrote:
CaCHooKa Man wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:I bet he has more takes to the hole since he's came back from injury than he has in his whole Lakers tenure. And I'm being serious.

yea, and hes also been attacking the basket more

He's moving out of the "softcore" business it seems. :man1:

:man12:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby denimPortugal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:43 am

Good game. Keep going Blake(r)!
denimPortugal

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:48 am

Another solid game by Blake. He did have one or two wtf passes but his hustle and D made up for those. Only downside I had was during that stretch in the 2nd when we settle for 3 straight 3's and a charge (Twan I think) letting Boston cut the lead in half. Blake allowed the guys to stand around and we got stagnant. Other than that I thought he looked great and controlling the team and making plays for guys.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby KB24 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:59 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Another solid game by Blake.

agreed...his 3rd solid game in as many years :jam2: :bow:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby khmrP on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:11 am

nice gm! hope it continues we'll need it.
khmrP

Postby khmrP on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:11 am

nice gm! hope it continues we'll need it.
khmrP

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:21 am

He, Morris, Duhon and Ebanks are being offered for free around the league. we'll see if there are takers.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:36 am

It is funny how people can't simply give the guy credit for being able to play his game and doing the job we need him to do.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Finwë on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:04 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:It is funny how people can't simply give the guy credit for being able to play his game and doing the job we need him to do.

At this point I'd say it's "weird" or "disappointing".
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:09 am

Finwë wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:It is funny how people can't simply give the guy credit for being able to play his game and doing the job we need him to do.

At this point I'd say it's "weird" or "disappointing".

you have a point
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:12 am

he's been good for the past few games.

but he hasn't been the prime example of consistency with his tenure here. people were expecting the blazers/clippers version of blake, but he really hasn't had many of those type of games.

since returning from his injury, i'd say he's being productive at least.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby dj vitus on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:53 am

There's no pressing need to trade Blake or Duhon.

We still need at least two backup PGs with Nash's age, and both have been getting the job done. If anything, we're likely to move Ebanks for a backup big.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:58 am

lakerfan2 wrote:

he's been good for the past few games.

but he hasn't been the prime example of consistency with his tenure here. people were expecting the blazers/clippers version of blake, but he really hasn't had many of those type of games.

since returning from his injury, i'd say he's being productive at least.

I have said this one and I guess I'll say it again.

Blake wasn't asked to play the way he played in Portland here. Mike D brought an offense that is open and free flowing where the gaurd can attack. Blake is not an aggressive player like Kobe but he isn't a passive one like Pau either. His game is predicated on being able to move and flow with the ball and NOT just dump it into a post player for a possible set up 3. People forget that when Nash went down Blake was playing great with the starters. Fans keep talking about these major turn arounds for players but the truth is they have been moving without the ball. Blake and Nash are PG's that look to get guys the ball first. They have both been ineffective when our guys just stand still and watch the game. Look at Blakes assist to Twan and Meeks last night. All of them happened because guys moved without the ball. We love EC because he puts in work and moves without the ball. Blake (and Nash) are being more aggressive but the truth of the matter is they are playing better because guys are doing what the coaching staff has screamed all year...move without the ball.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:04 am

^^^while I give Blake credit for his passing if guys are moving, his offense is what's inconsistent regardless of ball movement or not, one game he'll hit everything in site while other nights he'll look like he forgot how to shoot.
khmrP

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:11 am

you act like i don't understand that. you don't think players we have had before never moved off the ball? i find that hard to believe.

yes we ran the triangle under phil with blake. yes, under mike brown there was no offense. but, i'm not going to sit here and say that because of those two factors, blake was unable to "play his game". that's blasphemy. if you have the skills to shoot, pass, and dribble, you can play in any offense, and make it work.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby KB24 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:20 am

Puffy you can't beat the law of averages.

they say Blake hasn't performed well during his career. I'm not going to celebrate when a player has performed for a few games, nor am I going to hate anyone for a few bad games.

Blake has been a disappointment in LA overall, he couldn't even outplay Fish. If you think otherwise, then you are not objective. I'll give him credit when he actually plays a good season for a change.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:25 am

That's not what puffy is saying. All we're saying is that people will almost always qualify his compliments with insults.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:33 am

khmrP wrote:^^^while I give Blake credit for his passing if guys are moving, his offense is what's inconsistent regardless of ball movement or not, one game he'll hit everything in site while other nights he'll look like he forgot how to shoot.

that is every player though. Why forgive one player for being off but crucify another? Blake is playing his style of ball now and has steadily improved with each game. When the Lakers don't move then the gaurds (including Kobe) all get trapped by the defense. It makes it easy for teams to negate what we want to do. Paul Pierce last night torched us in the first half mainly because they ran him off screen after screen. When he did that his guys were rotating leaving open lanes. On our side we have guys setting pathetic screens (see Dwight all season) which allows the defense to recover and the trap to be set on our gaurds. Then because no one is moving the gaurds either have to force a shot, force a pass or get stripped. I am not saying Blake is the bestest PG ever and we should throw 15 million at him. What I am saying he is an above average defender, he handles the offense very well and he runs the show better than any of our backups in the recent past. Now that he is being able to move and operate we are seeing his shooting improve and his aggression, when needed, come into games. The guy is not a shoot first guy (just like Nash and Pau) so it isn't a shock when he doesn't shoot a lot. He did the same thing in Portland yet people are complaining like it isn't his game. Give him freedom and he will play the right way. Coach Brown stifled him which is apparent.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:38 am

Ariza3 wrote:solid. again. he has good vision and when he gets to play a regular PG role he can excel. he has some quick drives and kicks as well as a couple good layups and 3 pointers.

i like his play and on defense he was scrapping around and getting his hands on the ball etc.
Chillbongo

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 am

lakerfan2 wrote:you act like i don't understand that. you don't think players we have had before never moved off the ball? i find that hard to believe.

yes we ran the triangle under phil with blake. yes, under mike brown there was no offense. but, i'm not going to sit here and say that because of those two factors, blake was unable to "play his game". that's blasphemy. if you have the skills to shoot, pass, and dribble, you can play in any offense, and make it work.

Um yes I am saying players DO NOT MOVE off the ball. Why do you think we love Ariza so much? Because he came in with the energy and moved without the ball. Why do we love EC so much? Because he comes into the game and he moves without the ball. Why did we love Shaq? Because he set up in one spot and then another and then another and then another. He moved without the ball. Kobe? He gets the ball on the block because he moves without the ball. We, as fans, complained all the time about Kobe taking tough shots and not finding teammates yet never placed blame on the teammates. When they started moving Kobe all of sudden became KobeNash. Once they started moving Nash became Nash.

I don't know how you call it blasphemy. Earl Clark has been our shooting star this season yet he was placed way down on the bench. This season has shown Nash, one of the greatest passing PG's in the history of the game, virtually useless because of the way his teammates play with him. All of a sudden Dwight sets a proper pick and people are talking about how magical Nash is again. Two games ago people were calling him garbage. CP3 does none of the great things he does if his guys aren't moving without the ball. That is what makes a PG dangerous. I think it is blasphemy that I have to say that ball movement and player movement is what opens the court up for the gaurds to operate the best. Am I the only one not suprised to see that every time we go on dry spells it just happens to be the same time as our guys are not moving, playing one on one and jacking 3's without passes?
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion