Steve Blake Discussion: Traded To Warriors

Re: Steve Blake Discussion: solid, efficient, productive

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:06 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:2. Under Phil and Mike he was told to play a very certain way which was to basically feed the post and run the offense. Under that he hardly ever was aggressive instead looking to always pass. When he did shoot it was usually out of desperation.
Chillbongo

Postby raviator on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:11 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
denimPortugal wrote:
halekulani wrote:the steve blake we all wanted from the start is finally showing

The Steve Blake of the JailBlazers!!

I used to :mad1: when that Steve would light us up. Now I'm like :jam2:

Hell yeah! I loved his game but would drive me nuts because it seemed like he always went off on the Lakers, especially in Portland when we couldn't win there in like 20 years.
raviator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:45 pm

Anyone think he can be as productive and positive a role player going forward this season as Sasha at his best was for us off the bench? If he keeps his shooting even reasonably close to where it is now? I think he brings more all around skills than Sasha possessed and can be more valuable.

In terms of what we are seeing from him now, if he reasonably keeps it up, how about compared to what Farmar gave us?
LTLakerFan

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:48 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Anyone think he can be as productive and positive a role player going forward this season as Sasha at his best was for us off the bench? If he keeps his shooting even reasonably close to where it is now? I think he brings more all around skills than Sasha possessed and can be more valuable.

In terms of what we are seeing from him now, if he reasonably keeps it up, how about compared to what Farmar gave us?

Just going off the game yesterday, he's closer to what Lamar gave us. He was amazing yesterday.
lakersin4

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:20 pm

Blake with the highest +/- of the team at -20

Was 6/11 from the field but 1/5 from 3 and not great D overall though nobody played good D tonight. Expect better next game.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:48 pm

Another thing with Blake is that he doesn't turn the ball over. The Nash/Howard PnR is a turnover waiting to happen. It should be good, it isn't, who knows. But Blake's passing seems more purposeful and effective. Shows up in that stat.
SpencerHarrison

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:54 pm

^that is because Nash has better court vision than Blake. I know that may sound weird when it comes to being turnover prone but it really is that simple. When Nash penetrates he passes to where a person "should" be but unfortunately most times our guys aren't moving to the right spots. When Blake penetrates he is looking for guys where they are and usually gets the ball to them there. Blake is use to playing with guys who don't move (mainly cause of everyone watching Kobe play) so he has better timing with guys. Nash is use to guys who understand cuts, pick and rolls and backdoor movement like Twan. Now, put them with Dwight and you see Blake is more suited because Dwight still is very raw when it comes to setting proper screens and knowing when/where to slip the screen. Nash uses the screen to perfection while Blake uses his quickness more. Each are great at getting the ball to a player but they go about it in different fashion. Right now Blake is more effecitve but that has more to do with guys not understanding the "chess game' that Nash plays in my opinion.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:47 am

He's been playing great. He's doing a great job of hitting creating shots through probing the defense, putting guys in the right positions to score, and making shots. He's been a surprise for me this year. Keep it up, Steve.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby KB24 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:51 pm

Pleasant surprise. Not his fan but I have a lot of respect for a (former) scrub to step it up to a level to be an asset.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Smack! with that compliment from the back of your hand..... :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Blake thinks he's Nash when he's on the court...hitting his shots, finding the open man

when i talk about our team having an ok bench, i even mention Blake now with some hint of pride
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Weezy on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:10 am

Great game from Blake, way to step up with Nash not able to go more than a few minutes.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:29 am

8 Mile was back on SSLP/MMLP ish tonight ... great game
wcsoldier81

Postby Finwë on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:47 am

Came up big
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby trodgers on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:14 am

Since the ASB:
25.4 minutes, 7.1 points, 4.2 assists, 3.0 rebounds, 42.4% FG, 43.4% 3pt, 80% FT

He has been playing very well, seemingly always there when we need a lift off the bench.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby gcclaker on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:21 am

Blakey like all players need healthy minutes to develop a rhytmn for the game. 5 treys? Good stuff...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Oh my this dude was huge last night. Timely shots and pretty damn solid D all night. Awesomeness.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:25 pm

was always waiting for him to come back knowing what he'd bring and now with even more minutes hes really shining. shooting and playing with more confidence. makes solid plays on both ends and has been shooting the 3 well.

hope it continues. him and jamison are gunna have to be huge when it comes to playoffs. the warriors "jack/landry" combo for the lakers
Ariza3

Postby karacha on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:56 pm

He still has a lot of game left. If we were able to get a young, quality PG, Blake could still be a useful backup for... maybe 2 years or so.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:33 pm

more than a few dubious turnovers...but overall a solid performance
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:53 pm

Before the injury:

After the injury:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:55 pm

Blake regressed a little tonight. Didn't like that. Some dumb plays in the third and fourth.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:10 pm

Blake had a couple bad T/O's and for a spell looked to be flustered by the Mavs small guard pressure. Overall he had a solid game but has to take care of the ball in the 4th. Did make up for it with that big 3 in the 4th.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Finwë on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:21 pm

^ yeah
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby trodgers on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:49 am

Dumb turnovers when Dallas made their run, but he got it going early and finished strong.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion