Steve Blake Discussion: Traded To Warriors

Re: Official STEVE BLAKE Appreciation Thread

Postby John3:16 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:53 pm

I think Blake is actually looking to get into a fight. Unlike KG, he doesn't look for someone smaller. he seeks out the biggest guy on the other team. :man10:

Watch out Dwight. Blake is looking for you Sunday.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby eNlight on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:01 pm

wow blake was tough as nails tonight. he didn't take any crap and played like a true warrior. this is the blake i wanted to see on the team.
eNlight

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:11 pm

Blake played great tonight. Glad to have this guy. He was distributing the way it should be done. :bow: Haters please take note.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby mamatheregoesthatman on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:04 am

Blake has been playing well these last few games, and I love the toughness he displays on the court. :jam2: Has his shot been off? Yes, but if we want to discuss his shooting (and he doesn't take too many shots anyway), Fish is also fair game. :man10:
Thanks for the sig, Jr. Kobe.

mamatheregoesthatman

Re: Steve Blake Discussion

Postby trodgers on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:39 am

Just for Gninerfan. Blake played well again last night.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:39 pm

^ Very well actually. He looked good out there.

Someone (I think Shaw) said something like,"Guys it's time to take whatever you bring to the team out and really showcase it."

Blake sure did that last night. He was energetic and worked hard. He's still not shooting a great percentage, but his passing off the bench is really nice for our bigs.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:45 pm

I'm telling you: Blake can be very good for this team. Fish starting is the problem. Not Blake.

I love Fish and he has done so much for us, but... how many teams have worse starting PGs in this league? Hmmm?

He's going to hit one or two clutch 3s in the playoffs and we are all going to be salivating and saying: "We love you Fish! RATATATATA!!1!one!!!" but deep down inside we all know this is a problem.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:56 pm

FIsh starting is PART of the problem. Blake backing him up is the another part of the problem.

The Lakers have been getting schooled at PG and both PGs on this team are worthless. You can love Fish or Blake for whatever reason...numbers still prove they are getting out-played on a regular basis.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby karacha on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:02 pm

Well, if we had a real starter, the problem would not be so obvious, and Blake would be a serviceable backup. No one would probably even notice him... he would get some minutes, run the offense quietly and that's it. However, Fish starting has been a problem for a while now.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:18 pm

^actually I would rather have Fish as a backup than Blake. So there goes the argument.

Of course the problem is Fish starting...but if we had a starter, then I would rather have Fisher as his backup. His leadership and clutch ability make him the better backup to me, by far. Also Fisher is an aggressive player who comes in and actually does something, even if its usually stupid.

Blake comes in and does...hmmm...nothing.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby mamatheregoesthatman on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:27 pm

^I agree. Fish would be a decent backup PG. If Fish is still around next season (and I have a feeling he will be), we should try to get a PG who could start for us in the off-season. (Actually, we should do that regardless of whether he comes back or not. :man10: )

mamatheregoesthatman

Postby DaBumt on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:45 pm

mamatheregoesthatman wrote:Fish would be a decent backup PG. If Fish is still around next season (and I have a feeling he will be), we should try to get a PG who could start for us in the off-season.

I think most of the Laker nation has been saying that since Van Exel left.
It's official, Blake Griffin has convinced me to jump on the Clippers bandwagon. I am now slightly more willing to go to a Clippers game than a Sparks game.
DaBumt

Postby mamatheregoesthatman on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:47 pm

DaBumt wrote:
mamatheregoesthatman wrote:Fish would be a decent backup PG. If Fish is still around next season (and I have a feeling he will be), we should try to get a PG who could start for us in the off-season.

I think most of the Laker nation has been saying that since Van Exel left.

I think you are right. :man10:

mamatheregoesthatman

Postby trips on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:51 pm

I'm happy with what Blake brings to the table I hope he can step it up for the postseason.
trips

Postby karacha on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:24 pm

Here's the thing: yes, Fish would be a good backup. And if he was a bench player, that would mean we already had a good starting PG. Ergo, this thread would not even exist. Blake was brought in to be a bench player. So, this problem was created long time ago, because of our inability to sign someone like, say, Kirk to start @ the 1.

None of which is Blake's fault.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:40 pm

You all have it pretty wrong. Blake was brought in to replace Derek in a season or two and be a solid starting PG for this team. Anyone who thinks he couldn't be a very good starter for this team is seriously wrong. Blake is a very solid starter. He's a better passer than Derek, he's quicker and more athletic, and he's a better defender. He's also fairly clutch.

Everyone is so quick to judge Blake, but he's not really in any position to do much better than he's done. And the one and only thing anyone can have a problem with in Blake is his shooting. That's it. He's been a solid defender and his energy is there.

Once Fish moves to the bench some time next season, you'll all see that Blake is a solid player. It's easy to hate on what he's done now, but in any situation where he's played starter type minutes, he's done well. Give him that starting spot and all of you change your attitudes about him.

Let the Lakers draft a young PG and groom him to replace Steve, but right now Steve is the best fit finincially and realistically for this team.

Right now I think Fisher coasting through the regular season (something he has to do to be prepared for the post season) is an issue. The Lakers can't really play to their potential when you have so many guys (Kobe, Gasol, Artest apparently, etc) saving themselves for the playoffs.

I really liked last night's plan with the PG situation : let Fisher come out aggressive and energetic and then let Blake come in and be the true PG. I really liked it. Blake was effective and Fisher got the team going to start the game. I'm not saying that's going to be Fish's primary purpose going forward, just that he can be spark plug because of his energy and that'll make the team better.

/rant. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:54 pm

^

That would be terrific actually... if only Derek was able to always (OK, most of the time) be so successful at chucking the ball. I'd love to see that. Because, essentially, Fish is an undersized SG. He was never a PG. He even played @ 2 for the Jazz. Now that I think about it... even Phil plays him @ 2 when him and Blake are on the court together. It rarely happens but... yeah.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:57 pm

karacha wrote:^

That would be terrific actually... if only Derek was able to always (OK, most of the time) be so successful at chucking the ball. I'd love to see that. Because, essentially, Fish is an undersized SG. He was never a PG. He even played @ 2 for the Jazz.

Yeah, but that's fine for the Lakers because of the Triangle. He doesn't really have to be a PG for this team, just a guy who can hit outside shots (he's shooting 40.2% from deep this season) and make post entry passes. He's a little shaker on the passes, but he tries.

I think it'd be great if he just decided to be the energy guy because it'd make his transition to the bench easier and technically it could mean he'd log less minutes. Remember when we all thought he'd play less minutes this season? He's actually playing a few seconds more than last season. There's no real reason for that. Blake should be eating those minutes.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:01 pm

Right, I agree.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby nameant on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:39 am

Steve's defense looked great last night. He seemed more aggressive/physical than normal. I dunno if he's just turning it up a gear or he wanted to be extra aggressive against his old team.
nameant

Postby LoyalLakerfan44 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:06 am

nameant wrote:Steve's defense looked great last night. He seemed more aggressive/physical than normal. I dunno if he's just turning it up a gear or he wanted to be extra aggressive against his old team.

I thought he was energetic on defense but otherwise his usual transparent self on offense. Blake passes up a lot of open shots that he should to take because it disrupts the offense when he doesn't. When he passes up a shot it leads up to someone getting hit for a three second count, or having to take a desperation shot. I understand Blake is not a scoring type guard, but he needs to be aggressive when the situation presents itself. They need his perimeter shooting and some quick penetration play making from him, otherwise his man will roam around and double on others. I don't remember Blake being this passive when he played for Portland, he used to kill us. What's happened to his game? Why isn't Phil bringing this to his attention? Does he want him out there to pass the ball around and play some defense? Imho that's a waste of Blake if it's true. Hopefully when Barnes comes back Blake becomes a little more aggressive. If he doesn't I think the Lakers can do better in the off season.
LoyalLakerfan44

Postby John3:16 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:09 am

I think his defensive energy has been there all year. His shooting has been pretty bad, but he takes like 1 - 2 shots per game. Tough to get in a rhythm like that. Once you have a couple bad games, it's easy to get in a funk and start doubting.

Look at Kobe last night. Started 2 - 10. That's a week for Blake. Kobe was able to keep shooting and get hot and lead us to the W. I'm not saying Blake is Kobe, but when you miss your one and only shot, it's not difficult to lose faith in your shot.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby nameant on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:14 am

Yeah, I really wish Blake would shoot more. He used to always torch us.
nameant

Postby gninerfan21 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:25 am

trodgers wrote:Just for Gninerfan. Blake played well again last night.

Awww <3
gninerfan21

Postby harrise007 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:58 pm

nameant wrote:Yeah, I really wish Blake would shoot more. He used to always torch us.

could not agree more!! He use to average 15 points against us! Last year he has a triple double, he's defense has been GREAT but yea his offense is almost strange, he simply won't shoot, sometimes he won't even take more than one shot per game!!! Hell if you miss we can live with it but shoot DA BALL!!!
harrise007

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion