Steve Blake Discussion: Traded To Warriors

Re: Steve Blake Discussion

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:58 am

Psychobroker wrote:
LooN3y wrote: he needs the balls in his hands to be effective.

:man10:

he said balls :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:27 am

Barnstable wrote:^Wowww you're right. I didn't realize Blake averaged over 23min per game last season. His stats are even worse than I thought if he played that many minutes, and that's all he could muster.

That's horrific.

True, his numbers weren't great. But here's some reasons for optimism:
- Blake's FG% was terrible because of isolations and non-conventional shots (probably full court type, odd looking shots, etc.) which made up 9.6% and 14.4% respectively. Those two rank 5th and 3rd respectively in his overall shot attempts. Considering those two numbers should be reduced significantly, his FG% should rise.

- Blake took the vast, vast majority of his shots in spot up situations at 43.2%. The next closest was as the pick and roll ball handler at 15.3%. His general FG% from spot up situations wasn't great at 39.9%, but his 3 point percentage in spot up situations was alright at 36.6%; not amazing, but solid.

- His second most used shot attempt, the pick and roll ball handler, resulted in 43.6% from the field and 60% from downtown (to be fair, he only took 10 shots from deep in those situations). Considering the team we have now, it's not crazy to think he'll get more looks in the pick and roll.

- He actually defended the pick and roll pretty well, keeping his man to around 38%.

- With the team he has now, hopefully his assists can go up. Last season he didn't have many people to pass to off the bench. Comparing the two, this season he'll have Meeks, Ebanks, Jamison, and Hill and last season he had no one, Barnes, McRoberts, and Murphy.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:45 am

Blake is only horrific as a SG. As a backup PG... he's not very good, but not awful either, especially when he plays limited minutes behind one of the top point guards in the league. I only wish he was more decisive at shooting the 3, that's all. Just don't ever play him at the 2.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby ben_ready on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:44 am

Please make it go away already yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby ragesince1516 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:20 pm

As good as anybody, much much better than most.
ragesince1516

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:23 pm

2 more years. :jam2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby nthydro on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:41 am

I know most of you are complaining about Blake playing SG, but I just don't see why you would want him as our PG either. He has poor handles, no play making ability, and is always timid. I don't know how many times I've seen drive the lane just to bring the ball back out and pass it to someone on the perimeter. Drives me crazy. I understand it's good to probe the defense but he's not doing that, he's just wasting the shot clock. And we're slow as is in setting up our offense. While he had his worst showing as our SG, I think it has more to do with the timing of his poor play than it does with what position he's playing. Defensively, he's going to get raped at either position so it doesn't really matter. But offensively, he's at his best when he's knocking down spot up threes. No pressure on him to dribble or make plays like at PG, just catch and shoot. The problem is his shot has not been very consistent and he passes up too many open opportunities. But if you think about it, the only offensive skill he has is shooting threes so SG would make more sense to me.

But at the end of the day, he's probably going to suck no matter what position he's at. The only thing we could do is hope to minimize his, um, suckiness.
nthydro

Postby borri on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:58 am

Psychobroker wrote:

Sometimes i need my balls in my hands to be "effective" too. :man10: :man12:
borri

Postby nthydro on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:03 pm

borri wrote:
Psychobroker wrote:

I hope it's your own...
nthydro

Postby KB24 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:44 pm

Nthydro is right.

Blake doesn't really hurt the team but he doesn't contribute anything either. Its like 20 minutes of dead weight on the floor. I always thought he is awful and had lots of discussions about him.

Bottom line: he doesn't help us win ball games. If you aren't helping you should be gone, but he is a reliable backup. He is reliable in a sense that you know he can't do anything and he won't do anything. So he won't disappoint you. But he might have an amazing quarter here and there (vs. Nuggets in the playoffs, comeback vs Thunder in the regular season etc.). He is the pg version of Luke.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby karacha on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:48 pm

I think he's better then Luke in a sense that Blake will never shoot the ball and hit the side of a backboard. In fact, for the most part, Blake really won't do much at all. Good or bad. He'll take care of the ball, and when someone gives him the ball back -- he'll just get rid of it rather quickly. That's about it. I guess he does play solid D at the 1, for a backup. So... yeah.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:59 pm

I'm praying Mitch comes back from vacation and magic wand's Blake straight out of LA. The only buzzkill for me when thinking about the Lakers upcoming season. And he will get 15-18 mpg, while putting up 3 pts / 2 assists a game. :man10: :man6:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:08 pm

I think we're going a little overboard here. Blake isn't great, he isn't even good, but he's okay. He'll be fine for what we need. Would I like someone better? Of course. But our success isn't bound to his performance in any way. He won't cost us games. And if he does cost us games, we'll either trade him with someone/thing valuable or we'll play Duhon. He can't be any worse than Duhon though... I just won't believe that.

I also think that with a better man playing in front of him, hopefully a defined roll within the offense, and some far better players to pass it to he'll look a little better than last season. I mean if he can come in the game, hand out 3 assists and hit 2 threes, he's done his job.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Steve Blake just looks weird. :man10:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:52 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:Steve Blake just looks weird. :man10:

:man10: :man10: :man10: That video rules.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:10 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Blake can't get a whole lot worse, so this season I expect him to get just a bit better. It'll help that he only plays backup PG now.

this theory has been proven wrong over 2 seasons now, i actually do think he can get worse, much worse cause now he's afraid to shoot. At least his 1st yr he took the open shot, now all he does is over pass and takes a shot as last resort most of the time.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:31 am

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Blake can't get a whole lot worse, so this season I expect him to get just a bit better. It'll help that he only plays backup PG now.

this theory has been proven wrong over 2 seasons now, i actually do think he can get worse, much worse cause now he's afraid to shoot. At least his 1st yr he took the open shot, now all he does is over pass and takes a shot as last resort most of the time.

Sorry, but you're wrong. Blake's first season here he shot much less than his second. In 2011 he shot 3.9 times per game, in 2012 he shot 5.1 times per game. He shot 2.4 three pointers in 2011 and 3.0 three pointers in 2012. Even taking into account he shot more his second season than his first.

He averaged nearly the same assist/turnover ratio in 2012 compared to 2011, 2.34 and 2.4 respectively. Incidentally that ratio isn't crazy far from his career average of 2.79 assists to turnovers. Definitely worse, but not a ton worse.

The only thing he did significantly worse last season than any of his other seasons was his 3 point percentage which dropped from about 37% to about 33%, but like you said he was forced to take a lot of bailout shots. His percentage from 3 on spot up opportunities according to synergy sports was actually closer to 36%. Not amazing, but not bad either.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:10 am

Man, I guess with the improvements the Lakers made it was going to be down to Blake being the most hated on this team. People really undervalue what the guy brings to the floor.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:21 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Man, I guess with the improvements the Lakers made it was going to be down to Blake being the most hated on this team. People really undervalue what the guy brings to the floor.

which are what exactly? Doesn't take alot of skills to bring up the ball and dump it to Kobe or Bynum.
khmrP

Postby borri on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am

nthydro wrote:
borri wrote:
Psychobroker wrote:

I hope it's your own...

Of course....the part about "my balls". Reading comprehension, a lost art. LOL. :man12:
Last edited by borri on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
borri

Postby TIME on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:32 am

Blake is going to benefit tremendously from watching Nash every night. I think that he will absorb a measure of Nashness by observational osmosis. :man12:

That's my theory and I'm sticking with it. :deal:
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:33 am

Blake played pretty darn well before he injured his ribs. As long as he's anywhere near that level i'd be ecstatic.
borri

Postby gcclaker on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:37 am

borri wrote:Blake played pretty darn well before he injured his ribs. As long as he's anywhere near that level i'd be ecstatic.

Yes...very true. He struggled adapting to the Tri. Once Blake was playing in a traditional offense, he was able to play more comfortably until the injury.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:38 am

khmrP wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:Man, I guess with the improvements the Lakers made it was going to be down to Blake being the most hated on this team. People really undervalue what the guy brings to the floor.

which are what exactly? Doesn't take alot of skills to bring up the ball and dump it to Kobe or Bynum.

He's a hard worker, good locker room guy, and a great teammate. He's one of the scrappier guys I've seen play for us in a while and that's always a plus.

He's still a good shooter, although not a great one. He's not a dribble penetrator, but he makes good decisions on the break. He finds cutters very well. And he's a decent defender for the point guard position.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:40 am

khmrP wrote:

Funny the last time you said something like this I broke down each game you complained about and heard nothing again. It is remarkable how fickle Laker fans are and how shortsighted we can be.

It doemuch to bring up the ballsn't take ?
Yet, Lakers fans complain about the turnovers and careless ball handling from Fisher, Glock and Sessions (yes Blake had a few too at times). So which is it? Do we care he takes care of the ball or not?

He dumps it into Kobe or Bynum?

Fans constantly want roll players to know their ROLES yet when they do they complain. When Glock came in everyone praised the guy for being eager to shoot and willing to take the shots. Then they realized that the BIG DOGS weren't getting the touches they needed and the complaints started to kick in. Then its, WTF is the kid doing? Or how about the why is Fisher shooting anytime in a game outside of the last 3 seconds? Or maybe the Why the F isn't the gaurds getting the ball inside to DrewBeast so he can dominate? Was it not you same fans complaining that no one is getting the Bigs the touches they need? Of course it was but eh Blake isn't athletic and doesn't dunk so he must be garbage.

The issue I had with Blake last year was he wasn't aggressive enough on offense when we needed him to be. In the playoffs he got that way a bit but not enough. Yes, I thought he looked to pass to quickly like many have stated but he didn't kill our offense and he damn sure didn't step out of his position trying to do to much. He is a very good backup PG who gets in the mix, makes his man work and tries to get the primary player on the floor the ball like he is supposed to do.

Ahh screw it who cares about those things? Lets ship him out for a bonified chucker who thinks he should be starting.... anyone have Smush Parkers number?
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion