Steve Blake Discussion: Traded To Warriors

Re: Steve Blake Discussion

Postby Kou on Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:09 pm

Ariza3 wrote:
davriver290 wrote:We were missing scorers from the bench, this is why Blake seemed horrible. But we have Jamison, Meeks who are scorers. Blake is not as bad as people make him out to be. He played well in the playoffs and shot the three ball pretty well. Yeah sometimes yr turns down shots, but it's better than trying to be another Kobe when you're not (Shannon)

This. being able to just play PG and shoot the open 3 will be huge for Blake. being forced into a scoring option role for our bench as a SG was terrible for him bc thats not him. hes a good 3 point shooter and i think with meeks and jaminson surrounding him...maybe even ebanks; blake will be a decent backup PG for us. ill give him 1 last season before i really throw him out. everything is in blake's favor to have a good season; so hopefully he'll have one.

Agreed, hopefully Brown won't see the need to put him at SG, he can be a natural PG for the bench and do his job.
NBA 2k9 team:

Fisher/Rose/Watson
Bryant/Wells
Lee/Ariza/Walton
Gasol/Yi
Bynum/Zo
Kou

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:04 pm

And he's a bad mo fo back down to no one kung foo fightin' s.o.b. :man10: Ask Dwight....he didn't scare him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwdQOEzuVYQ
LTLakerFan

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:19 pm

^ 8 mile :jam2:
Ariza3

Postby WilliamHaven on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:19 am

LTLakerFan wrote:And he's a bad mo fo back down to no one kung foo fightin' s.o.b. :man10: Ask Dwight....he didn't scare him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwdQOEzuVYQ

wow, i forgot how terrible the portland commentators are.
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby trodgers on Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:07 pm

^ They're the one that stands out as absolutely something I cannot stand listening to.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby khmrP on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:24 pm

davriver290 wrote:I think the first season he struggled horribly. But this season he seemed so much better. Sure he had some moments that just drove us crazy, but so did a whole host of other players as well. Steve Blake is not a scorer, he is not a penetrating PG. We brought him here for two reasons. Defense (which he does fairly well against PG's) and hit open threes. He accomplished this in the playoffs. Its not his fault Mike Brown placed him in SG roles. Thats just not him. Sure he gets payed a pretty penny, but he does exactly what he was brought in for. And he does it well.

not a creator either, so basically nothing like a PG. Your description sounds more like a stand still shooting guard. His 3 ball was good in the playoff but it would take 3-4 games stretches, like his gm 1 against Den that didn't reappear until gm 7. Declining #'s hardly consitude doing anything well, fg% is horrible for someone who gets open looks constantly, for a guy who had shot 40% from 3's countless times, I'd expct sometime close to that with all the attention taken away from him, there were times where it seemed teams actually dared him to shoot and he hardly ever made them pay.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:33 pm

40% from deep in 4 of his 9 seasons... countless?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:35 pm

therealdeal wrote:40% from deep in 4 of his 9 seasons... countless?

yep, there almost half of his season played, unfortunately he forgot how to shoot once he got here. There's not that many player who can shoot 40% that often in their career. You cant' honestly tell me he's not getting better looks then his Por days when he was able to shoot 40%?
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:45 pm

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:40% from deep in 4 of his 9 seasons... countless?

yep, there almost half of his season played, unfortunately he forgot how to shoot once he got here. There's not that many player who can shoot 40% that often in their career. You cant' honestly tell me he's not getting better looks then his Por days when he was able to shoot 40%?

I'm not excusing his poor shooting during the season by any stretch, but to say he has shot 40% countless times is giving him too much credit and expecting too much. Not many players can maintain shooting 40% from deep that long. Again, not an excuse, just an observation.

I think he probably has had equal or better looks than he did in Portland, but he's not shooting them. He's taking tougher shots and not making as many instead of just shooting the shots that are available to him. Having a defined role as the backup PG in a system that is less difficult to understand than the Triangle should help. His first season he was handcuffed by the Triangle. His second season here he was asked to be the backup 1 and the backup 2. I'm expecting better things from him this season.

He's a serviceable backup 1 when that's his role.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Frank Dux on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:29 pm

davriver290 wrote:I think the first season he struggled horribly. But this season he seemed so much better. Sure he had some moments that just drove us crazy, but so did a whole host of other players as well. Steve Blake is not a scorer, he is not a penetrating PG. We brought him here for two reasons. Defense (which he does fairly well against PG's) and hit open threes. He accomplished this in the playoffs. Its not his fault Mike Brown placed him in SG roles. Thats just not him. Sure he gets payed a pretty penny, but he does exactly what he was brought in for. And he does it well.

You're a overrating Steve Blake. He has failed miserably thus far as a Laker. He was brought in to play the point, and he's a horrendous value at 4 million a year. His advanced stats indicate that he's a super scrub. his PER as a Laker has been pretty much bottom of the barrel(7.5 first year, and a whopping 8.5 last season). Keep in mind the league average PER usually hovers around 15. His offensive efficiency has been very mediocre as Laker as well, as his TS% the past two season has been .500% and .493%(which is not good, at all) which probably has a lot to do with his knack for NOT getting to the rim, and his hot garbage raw FG%. His 3 point% has been respectable as a Laker, but he hasn't, by any means, been the knock down shooter we've needed.

Since we can only amnesty players that were signed before the current CBA, Steve Blake should've got the boot this summer.
Frank Dux

Postby davriver290 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Frank Dux wrote:

You're a overrating Steve Blake. He has failed miserably thus far as a Laker. He was brought in to play the point, and he's a horrendous value at 4 million a year. His advanced stats indicate that he's a super scrub. his PER as a Laker has been pretty much bottom of the barrel(7.5 first year, and a whopping 8.5 last season). Keep in mind the league average PER usually hovers around 15. His offensive efficiency has been very mediocre as Laker as well, as his TS% the past two season has been .500% and .493%(which is not good, at all) which probably has a lot to do with his knack for NOT getting to the rim, and his hot garbage raw FG%. His 3 point% has been respectable as a Laker, but he hasn't, by any means, been the knock down shooter we've needed.

Since we can only amnesty players that were signed before the current CBA, Steve Blake should've got the boot this summer.

That can be attributed to the fact our second unit had no creators. In Portland, he had other guys who could create allowing him to do what he does. First season here I felt it was just becoming accustomed to us. Then his 2nd year came and was tasked with more. We literally had the wrost bench, no creators, nothing. He struggled.... immensely. Im sure all our bench players ranked pretty low on whatever scale there may be. He did most of the dribbling and when he did get guys open, they clanked shots. So I can't blame Blake too much. I'm hopeful for this season, our bench looks so much better and I feel this is the season where he produces consistently. Maybe I am overrating Stevie. But from what I've seen and analyzed, we can say all of our bench were superscrubs. I feel this is the year where we get the Steve we were expecting.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:33 pm

ya i think blake will step it up and do what he was brought here to do. the 2nd unit will be run by him so he can play PG so that'll be good. he's a good backup point guard and a good 3 point shooter. hes a willing passer and plays not great defense but scrappy which has worked for him against 2nd unit PG's.

it takes a lot to play in this league at only 6 feet tall and hes been good throughout his career. his years in LA were hard for him I'm sure. first year he actually didnt play that bad. it was only when brown came and made him a SG for the bench where he struggled. no one else could do anything except for him off the bench and teams knew that.

i expect blake to be a good backup for us. he knows the team. he knows the coach. and most importantly he now knows his role. and thats PG passing it to jaminson and meeks and hitting the open 3. thats it.
Ariza3

Postby kray28 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:50 am

The new offense will suit him well, he'll be under less pressure to create offense....instead defenders will have no choice but to sag off him and give him a lot of space to shoot. In that type of a situation he'll thrive.
kray28

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:17 am

kray28 wrote:The new offense will suit him well, he'll be under less pressure to create offense....instead defenders will have no choice but to sag off him and give him a lot of space to shoot. In that type of a situation he'll thrive.

Isn't that what defenses have been doing to him the last two years?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby kray28 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:55 am

Doc Brown wrote:
kray28 wrote:The new offense will suit him well, he'll be under less pressure to create offense....instead defenders will have no choice but to sag off him and give him a lot of space to shoot. In that type of a situation he'll thrive.

Isn't that what defenses have been doing to him the last two years?

The difference will be that he'll be open within the flow of the offense, and not because the defense is sagging off him on purpose. He'll shoot it because it's an open shot earned in the flow of the offense (through dribble penetration or a double team in the post), and not because the defense dares him to shoot with the shotclock running down.
kray28

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:03 am

Ariza3 wrote:ya i think blake will step it up and do what he was brought here to do. the 2nd unit will be run by him so he can play PG so that'll be good. he's a good backup point guard and a good 3 point shooter. hes a willing passer and plays not great defense but scrappy which has worked for him against 2nd unit PG's.

it takes a lot to play in this league at only 6 feet tall and hes been good throughout his career. his years in LA were hard for him I'm sure. first year he actually didnt play that bad. it was only when brown came and made him a SG for the bench where he struggled. no one else could do anything except for him off the bench and teams knew that.

i expect blake to be a good backup for us. he knows the team. he knows the coach. and most importantly he now knows his role. and thats PG passing it to jaminson and meeks and hitting the open 3. thats it.

I agree with the posts saying he is not as bad as certain posts are hammering him to be and also expect him to be better this year. Brown was an idiot with playing him at the 2 and getting him torched last year in multiple games. The old definition of insanity. But the height mentioned didn't sound right. All the reports have him at 6'3".
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:21 am

^ I was going to say the same thing.

Not to mention his first season here he still played pretty bad. Sure, the Triangle had something to do with it, but bad is bad. He hasn't been very good here at all. In fact the term "below average" might be giving him a little too much credit.

I like him, I expect a bigger year from him, but he has a lot to prove this season. He was brought here to give us good veteran presence and as someone who could take minutes away from Fisher (possibly replace him). Let's see if he can lead a 2nd unit on a stacked team.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:08 pm

And though Nash will likely be sitting when Blake is on the court, some combination of Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Antawn Jamison or Dwight Howard will still be on floor with him.

Blake can knock down an open three-pointer and he's a decent passer, so his job will be to avoid turnovers, get the ball to Bryant, Gasol, Jamison or Howard and be ready to knock down an open shot.

If he can successfully do all the above while Nash catches a breather, Blake will have served his purpose.
Ariza3

Postby ben_ready on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:03 pm

He's a bum that's paid well. His Columbus when it came to that contract was genius. His play well, it has been exceptionally garbage yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby revgen on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:58 pm

I have a feeling Blake is going to play better in the Princeton system than he has the last 2 seasons. He always seems to play better with guys who cut and move. Like those sequences he had with Matt Barnes the last 2 seasons.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:58 pm

blake has the court vision of a decent good point guard but not the speed or athleticism to get in the lane or draw defenders and then make the pass or create for himself. so he needs the guys hes playing with to be the athletic guys cutting and stuff. if he has that than he can be a good backup point guard for us.
Ariza3

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:28 pm

Steve Blake looked good for the Lakers late last season and in the playoffs, earning many of the crunch time minutes over Ramon Sessions, and earning the trust of his coaches and teammates in the process. Several assistant coaches mentioned how consistent Blake has been in workouts this summer, and noted that he played for Eddie Jordan his first two seasons in the league for Washington. That he and Jamison are familiar with Jordan’s system is a nice benefit for the Lakers.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby vladefan12 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:04 pm

Blake will take Nash's starting role by the end of the year. His upside is limitless, and he is so much more athletic than Nash. Not to mention, he is a lock down defender. Nash will have the starting job for the first 20 games, that's it.
vladefan12

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:09 pm

vladefan12 wrote:Blake will take Nash's starting role by the end of the year. His upside is limitless, and he is so much more athletic than Nash. Not to mention, he is a lock down defender. Nash will have the starting job for the first 20 games, that's it.

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:03 am

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register wrote:Steve Blake was wearing shoes at Lakers Media Day on Monday, which is a good sign.

Eight days ago, Blake suffered a puncture wound to his left foot when he stepped on a spike strip at a beach parking lot in Manhattan Beach, but should be back fully in another two weeks.

“I saw the doctor today and everything is looking great, it’s on pace,” Blake said. “I think it will heal pretty quickly.”

Blake, who was cleared to do spot shooting Monday, said he was headed to his truck in the parking lot to retrieve his cell phone when he briefly became distracted when someone called his name.

“I looked up and as I looked up, that’s when I stepped on the spike,” he said. “It’s an unfortunate situation, bad timing, but I think things always work out for the best.”

While Blake’s foot heals he will miss the early opportunity to work along side MVP point guard Steve Nash in the Lakers’ newly installed Princeton offense. Blake said the eight-time All-Star should have no difficulty picking up the new scheme.

“He’s such a good player, so talented that I think any offense there is, he will do great in,” said Blake, who will back up Nash. “It’s a little bit of a learning curve for everybody. He’s been in Phoenix for quite a long time, so I think it will be an adjustment. But, great players like himself pick things up pretty quickly.”

Blake said he doesn’t think the Lakers will be under any additional pressure this season with Dwight Howard and Nash on the roster. Many are picking the star-studded Lakers to win 70 games and take home the NBA championship.

“The pressure the past two years has been the same. It’s all about winning and winning big,” Blake said. “It’s no different than any other season except for a couple different faces — and we’re very glad to have those faces, that’s for sure.”
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion