Steve Blake Discussion: Traded To Warriors

Re: Steve Blake Discussion

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:28 pm

He looked awful tonight. This was the worst game he's had in the pre-season.

In previous games he made the right passes that ended up in the wrong hands. Tonight he made the wrong passes all game long and they turned into points almost every single time. Just because he made a few shots doesn't excuse his play as a PG. If all we're asking for is a couple of baskets, we don't need a PG we need a SG.

I'd rather watch Duhon play tomorrow.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:31 pm

I've been done with Blake for awhile now. We just have no other suitable options. Duhon? IDK. B
dwighthowardsdad

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:35 pm

therealdeal wrote:In previous games he made the right passes that ended up in the wrong hands. Tonight he made the wrong passes all game long

i'm not sure one is all that different from the other :man10:

but we know blake sucks...but he did one thing okay tonight and that is more than most nights...thus the muted praise.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:42 pm

fksteveblake wrote:
therealdeal wrote:In previous games he made the right passes that ended up in the wrong hands. Tonight he made the wrong passes all game long

i'm not sure one is all that different from the other :man10:

but we know blake sucks...but he did one thing okay tonight and that is more than most nights...thus the muted praise.

It's different because if you pass the ball within the offense and the guy you're passing to can't control the ball, that's okay. Or at the very least it's acceptable because you're trying to play the offense.

Tonight all he did was throw the ball away with careless passes to the wrong guy. Just awful.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:53 pm

4 assists 4 turnovers, which is a wash but he did shoot very well tonight (3-4 3pt fg). But that turnover at the end of the 4th quarter where he wanted to pass it out to Sacre was terrible
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 pm

If we only signed the Steve Blake from Portland and the Clipps...I think we just signed some bum off the street who just happened to have the same name as him and look eerily similar to him. Or another theory is this has been his stunt double, it is Hollywood after all.

Honestly though, he's been bad. You can't even sugar coat it. It's been difficult to pull some positives to talk about from his performances. When he does show up with a jump shot for one game, you won't see again for weeks.

I hate our options at backup PG. With Nash, we need quality minutes from our backups for 16 minutes a game. I don't even know if either of them are capable of giving us half that right now.

Blake might have the inside track based on familiarity with the roster, with Jamison, and Jordan but at this point I'd almost rather Duhon leap frog him in the depth chart. I think he's had a better pre-season. He's a better defender, I think he might be a smarter player, he just looks like he's playing under control more often than not (even if that's not the case)...maybe it's his demeanor. And I'm still holding out a smidgin of hope that he can reclaim some of that allure he had when he was with Chicago. I don't know where it went or what happened, but I've all but given up on Blake, so maybe Duhon can give us something.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 pm

^ Agreed. I've defended Blake a little bit since the pre-season started, but the guy looked just absolutely awful tonight.

Give Duhon the shot in the next game.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:08 pm

I thought he looked fine. He was making shots. Second unit had some flow to it. It just looks worse because we havent won a preseason game.
OX1947

Postby The Rock on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:13 pm

For a guy being labeled a shooter why doesn't he take more shots? It has always puzzled me, he takes very few shots so hes always off. If you're a shooter the more you shoot you'll get on a streak right? He never went on a host streak in his tenure here

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:48 pm

Andy Kamenetzky of ESPN wrote:2) Who's got the edge at backup point guard?
This was Brown's response Monday when I asked what criteria he'd use to decide the matter of Steve Nash's primary sub:

"I'm looking for a guy who'll come in and keep us organized. Try to work the ball. We have a ton of guards, so that backup 1 is probably gonna be a backup 1, not play some 2 to where he can get some extra minutes. So there's not a lot of minutes there. So I'm looking for someone with some energy and that's gonna get it right defensively. Keep us organized offensively. And if you have the ability to make plays, make plays. And I'm kind of contradicting myself, because I want our point guard to make plays, but do it without turning the ball over. Because you're not gonna be out there a whole lot of time."

These are your instructions, Steve Blake and Chris Duhon. May the best man gain pole position.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:03 am

neither of them can do even a couple of those things consistently and at an acceptable level...let alone all of them.

keep fishing mike
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:07 am

Duhon can at least do some things defensively. Or at least he showed he can whenever he played. Passing the ball? Maybe not a natural. But if there's already a set offense, just let the offense run and have Duhon cut and get to the basket if he can. Hill and Dwight can clean up missed layups. Those are easier rebounds than missed jumpers.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:17 am

therealdeal wrote:Duhon can at least do some things defensively. Or at least he showed he can whenever he played. Passing the ball? Maybe not a natural. But if there's already a set offense, just let the offense run and have Duhon cut and get to the basket if he can. Hill and Dwight can clean up missed layups. Those are easier rebounds than missed jumpers.

Duhon has the experience playing with Dwight and shooters (from Orlando).

So I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on offense. Defensively, he's quicker and knows how to play with Dwight.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:23 am

^ Yeah I mean... Blake has just been so bad and this last game exaserbated that. He needs to be replaced, there's got to be something else out there.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:26 am

^^^ My hope is that Cuban will try to one up Mitch and send us Delonte, much like we sent LO his way and basically imploded on the Mavs. Only Delonte comes here and is the perfect backup to Nash and leads our bench to the promise land.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:43 am

I seriously believe that if Delonte was here, we'd have less problems. There's more opportunities here for treatment options and whatnot just because of the area we're in.

I mean hell, if he starts breaking down we can just send him to Metta's psychiatrist.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Mark Medina ‏@MedinaLakersNBA
Mike Brown officially gave the backup pg spot to Steve Blake
Expand

IMO Duhon had the better preseason....
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby revgen on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:21 pm

^Yeah, but he wasn't outstanding. Blake has the seniority advantage and Duhon didn't blow anybody away.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:25 pm

It's at least good to know that Duhon isn't as useless as we thought he was.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Blake just follows Mike Brown's instruction's to a T and probably lights it up in practice. I cant believe hes gonna be our backup PG for 3rd year in a row. Coulldn't do diddly under Phil or last year (which allowed more player freedom than the "Restrictive triangle). Blake is a lost cause IMO.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:35 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2012/10/27/mike-brown-touts-steve-blake-as-backup-point-guard/

After publicly proclaiming this position stayed up for grabs during training camp, Brown stuck with Steve Blake as the team’s backup point guard.

“He had a little bit of an advantage because he was in the system last year,” Brown said of Blake, who averaged 3.6 points on 40 percent shooting in 14.6 minutes through seven game. “It’s not set in stone, but we felt he played a little bit better as of late.”

Blake, entering his third season with the Lakers, competed against Chris Duhon, who arrived here from Orlando as part of the Dwight Howard trade. Duhon averaged 1.8 points on a 33.3 percent clip in 9.6 minutes through five games.

“My backup point guard first needs to defend, second get the team organized and third not turn the ball over,” Brown said. “If he can score and/or shoot, that’s a bonus.”

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby revgen on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:41 pm

If it's defense-first, organizing a team 2nd, and shooting last, then Duhon should be the backup.

Then again, Brown isn't exactly the best when it comes to recognizing how to use his personnel.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:43 pm

^ Yep. I know Blake works his butt off, but if he doesn't produce then that doesn't matter. Sasha tried as hard as he could, but he was awful. Blake's defense is all work and no production. I love that from my team too, but if it's not getting the job done then too bad.

If the criteria is defense, then Duhon will be starting soon.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby mastersworddude on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:51 pm

The Rock wrote::man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2012/10/27/mike-brown-touts-steve-blake-as-backup-point-guard/

After publicly proclaiming this position stayed up for grabs during training camp, Brown stuck with Steve Blake as the team’s backup point guard.

“He had a little bit of an advantage because he was in the system last year,” Brown said of Blake, who averaged 3.6 points on 40 percent shooting in 14.6 minutes through seven game. “It’s not set in stone, but we felt he played a little bit better as of late.”

Blake, entering his third season with the Lakers, competed against Chris Duhon, who arrived here from Orlando as part of the Dwight Howard trade. Duhon averaged 1.8 points on a 33.3 percent clip in 9.6 minutes through five games.

“My backup point guard first needs to defend, second get the team organized and third not turn the ball over,” Brown said. “If he can score and/or shoot, that’s a bonus.”

That sound like Duhon, yet you pick Blake? Whatever Brown.
mastersworddude

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Brown is a stats guy, I'm sure he has this all figured out in some highly mathematical concept.....

Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion