Steve Blake Discussion: Traded To Warriors

Re: Official STEVE BLAKE Appreciation Thread

Postby gninerfan21 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:16 pm

So, this is what got me banned? I was never told or given a msg.
gninerfan21

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:24 am

Blake hit some nice shots tonight, it was good to see.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:29 am

^ He was 3-6 but it felt like more than that. Good to see him have a good shooting night.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:58 am

Blake like most of the Lakers has been a disappointment for about a month now...time to get back on track. He has to hit open shots...but more than that control the pace and make smart decisions, especially on D. His D has been disturbing me lately.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby D.B. Cooper on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:55 am

gninerfan21 wrote:So, this is what got me banned? I was never told or given a msg.

Read the TOS.
D.B. Cooper

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:40 am

Nice game from Steve last night. Big back to back baskets to help stretch the lead and more importantly, no hesitation from him on the arc. Guy also had four assists, three boards and umm...yeah...he pretty much embarrassed Kirilenko on that jump ball.

:man10:
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby gcclaker on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:48 am

bruddahmanmatt wrote:Nice game from Steve last night. Big back to back baskets to help stretch the lead and more importantly, no hesitation from him on the arc. Guy also had four assists, three boards and umm...yeah...he pretty much embarrassed Kirilenko on that jump ball.

In the post game presser, Jackson praised Blake for a good all-around game last night citing his effectiveness in moving the ball around. He had a pep in his step throughout the evening. Let's not forget the little skirmish Blake had with Watson too.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:49 am

bruddahmanmatt wrote:Nice game from Steve last night. Big back to back baskets to help stretch the lead and more importantly, no hesitation from him on the arc. Guy also had four assists, three boards and umm...yeah...he pretty much embarrassed Kirilenko on that jump ball.

^^ That was great when he out jumped AK47. One thing I love is the chemistry/connection between Blake and Odom. Those guys play really well together, finding each other easily for passes and open looks.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:52 am

gcclaker wrote:

In the post game presser, Jackson praised Blake for a good all-around game last night citing his effectiveness in moving the ball around. He had a pep in his step throughout the evening. Let's not forget the little skirmish Blake had with Watson too.

OMG I almost forgot about that little exchange between those two. Derrick Caracter not backing down and shoving Watson on the very next play was equally hilarious. We need more of that.

P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:59 am

^^ :man10: That was awesome! Watson's a tough kid (Kansas City kid who grew up in not the best conditions), I've liked him since UCLA, but he needn't to cool it out and that thump from Caracter was great stuff.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:03 pm

Lakerjones wrote:^^ :man10: That was awesome! Watson's a tough kid (Kansas City kid who grew up in not the best conditions), I've liked him since UCLA, but he needn't to cool it out and that thump from Caracter was great stuff.

I really like Caracter taking on the "tough guy" mentality. Looks like he's been watching Drew quite a bit and I'm sure Steve's stealthy "bad a** white guy" attitude rubbed off on Derrick a bit out there on the floor. Him denying Jeremy Evans at the basket after Evans had a few easy dunks was quite LOLworthy.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby gcclaker on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:08 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
gcclaker wrote:

OMG I almost forgot about that little exchange between those two. Derrick Caracter not backing down and shoving Watson on the very next play was equally hilarious. We need more of that.

In the same vein...Bynum tossing aside Bell. I really like the edge they are displaying. All this without the usual MAIN character in these types of encounters. That Matty Barnes cat. Sunday at Staples won't be a day of niceties. No other opponent gets me to pay attention more in ANY game then THOSE JERKS.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:23 pm

gcclaker wrote:In the same vein...Bynum tossing aside Bell. I really like the edge they are displaying. All this without the usual MAIN character in these types of encounters. That Matty Barnes cat. Sunday at Staples won't be a day of niceties. No other opponent gets me to pay attention more in ANY game then THOSE JERKS.

The Raja toss was pure comedy gold. I'm glad Cachooka gave that little skirmish it's own highlight. Bynum hasn't been taking s*** from anyone lately. I loved it when it got into Nene's face late in the Denver game.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby StudentOfTheGame on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:07 pm

Blake is a refreashing player to watch.

He's the type of player that completely understands his role and has absolutely ZERO ego when it comes to shots and point total. He's all about keeping ball movement going, setting up team mates, limiting turn overs, stretching the floor, and taking smart shots.

I am a big Farmar fan dating back to his days at UCLA, but lets be real, as a young player trying to establish himself he felt that he needed to score and do amazing things to prove himself. This lead to turnovers, dumb shots, and not much emphasis on defense.

Steve has no such feelings because he's a vet and he completely understands his limitations. He knows his role and he plays both ends of the court. Pretty much exactly what was needed with the back up PG slot.
StudentOfTheGame

Postby karacha on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:11 pm

Blake looked so much better against Utah. I hope his confidence is back. Playing smart basketball, moving the ball, shooting the 3. That's his game.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:37 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:Blake is a refreashing player to watch.

He's the type of player that completely understands his role and has absolutely ZERO ego when it comes to shots and point total. He's all about keeping ball movement going, setting up team mates, limiting turn overs, stretching the floor, and taking smart shots.

I am a big Farmar fan dating back to his days at UCLA, but lets be real, as a young player trying to establish himself he felt that he needed to score and do amazing things to prove himself. This lead to turnovers, dumb shots, and not much emphasis on defense.

Steve has no such feelings because he's a vet and he completely understands his limitations. He knows his role and he plays both ends of the court. Pretty much exactly what was needed with the back up PG slot.

Outstanding post, StudentOfTheGame. I think you're on point all the way here. I, too, was a fan of Jordan's at UCLA. I was pretty surprised that Mitch picked him up for us and it was always a tough match as Farmar is a very ball dominant guard to try and fit into this system. I agree with you that his youth worked against him in terms of decision making and wanting to get his own often times. And I'm with you completely that Blake is a great fit for us and it's refreshing to see a PG who will simply run the system, try to play D, and hit his open shots. He's an ego-less, unselfish vet who knows what needs to be done. Glad to have him here.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby mamatheregoesthatman on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Steve played great last night. I loved it when he forced the jump ball with AK and won it against him. :man10: He also hit a 3-pointer and a long 2 during that key scoring run. :jam2:
Thanks for the sig, Jr. Kobe.

mamatheregoesthatman

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:54 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:Blake is a refreashing player to watch.

Great post.

What I love is that he doesn't take too many shots. He measures what the team might need and if they need shots he'll shoot, but for the most part he just sets up guys in a great way. I love the connection that he and Lamar have when they play together. Blake is going to make a great starter in a season or a season and a half.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:25 am

I just wanted to bump this thread because I'm seeing a lot of Steve Blake hate around LD.

Blake has been playing GREAT the past couple of weeks. He's playing great defensively, he doesn't try to force anything on offense, and he simply plays tough. I doubt many people remember this play but what stands out for me in the San Antonio game is a clutch and tough rebound that Blake pulled down over McDyess late in the fourth quarter. His shot's not falling but I'm confident he'll get that back soon.

Just because his contributions aren't evident in the statbook, doesn't mean he's not playing well. People should actually try watching him play instead of just bashing him for not putting up a bunch of flashy points.
Helljumper

Postby mamatheregoesthatman on Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:01 am

Helljumper wrote:I just wanted to bump this thread because I'm seeing a lot of Steve Blake hate around LD.

Blake has been playing GREAT the past couple of weeks. He's playing great defensively, he doesn't try to force anything on offense, and he simply plays tough. I doubt many people remember this play but what stands out for me in the San Antonio game is a clutch and tough rebound that Blake pulled down over McDyess late in the fourth quarter. His shot's not falling but I'm confident he'll get that back soon.

Just because his contributions aren't evident in the statbook, doesn't mean he's not playing well. People should actually try watching him play instead of just bashing him for not putting up a bunch of flashy points.

Great post, and thanks for the bump, Helljumper. I have faith that Steve Blake will get his shooting touch back and come through for us when the pressure is on in the playoffs. In tonight's game against the Hornets, CP3 tried to fake out Steve on one play, and he didn't go for it. CP3 had to adjust on the fly to make a shot over him. I think most PG's would have bit on the fake (including Fish). It was but one example of Steve's great defense. :jam2:
Thanks for the sig, Jr. Kobe.

mamatheregoesthatman

Postby trodgers on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:11 am

Glad others are noticing. It's good to be able to look past the poor shooting (and no one can say that's not true) to see what else he has been doing for this team.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby gninerfan21 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:34 pm

He's been an upgrade over the position from last year. Im glad he's on the team.
gninerfan21

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:07 pm

I really like Blake. Wish he was starting instead of Fisher. But that's all pipe as long as stubborn PJ is running the show.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby trodgers on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:13 pm

Blake notched 7 assists tonight.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:50 pm

8 pts 7 asts and 2 stls

Didn't shoot well (2-5) but damn he had a really nice game. I love that he was so aggressive tonight.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion