Steve Kyler: LA will stand pat w/ roster, Scott replaces MDA

Re: Steve Kyler: LA will stand pat w/ roster, Scott replaces MDA

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:02 pm

Pau can't even go 3 weeks without running out of gas and he's supposed to be the 1-2 punch if D12 leaves?

I'll take my chances on guys that can actually get through an 82 game season.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Ludachris on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 am

Rooscooter wrote:So... what's this guys track record on all things Lakers?..... If they are indeed going to "ride out" 2014 with this roster they are cementing mediocrity for years to come.... here's why.

If they let the big contracts expire they will still not be able to sign anyone for a max slot if they sign Howard in the off season for a max deal. So the 29 Million+ in trade value of MWP and Pau will not result in any new players. Kobe isn't re-signing for the minimum to play a few more years that much is for sure. I doubt he will take less than Howard to return beyond 2014 and if he does it won't be much less.

They don't have picks to supplement the building of a bench or team beyond second round picks and D-league trash.

Nash's money will haunt us beyond that.

So... unless I'm missing something big here..... we will still be either just over the cap with several slots to fill.... or just below it with several slots to fill.... We aren't building anything meaningful around Howard for the future that way.

2015 would be presumably a re-signed Kobe at 15M+, Howard at 20M+, Nash at 9M a first round pick at about 4M and about 10 to 14 million to fill out a roster. No potential future players.... no hope for a max slot FA and no way through trade to change that. It's obvious to anyone with their eyes open that Howard will need top talent around him to get us back up the hill to where we belong. That's why I think we will make big changes this off season rather than none. If we don't cash in the chips (Pau, MWP and even Nash) now we will loose out on the only way to get the young players we need to start developing.

I think they'd only resign Kobe if he took a Duncan-like cap friendly contract, and I think he'd consider it. But the team would need to show him they have a solid plan to make it worth him resigning for a lower salary. If his ego won't allow him to accept less than $11/year I'd bet they won't beg him since they'll be focused more on pairing Howard with another star player to move forward (and rightly so).

I think it all hinges on whether or not Howard stays. If he leaves it throws everything up in the air and who knows what happens. I'm betting Nash retires before the final year of his deal if both Howard and Gasol are gone or he asks for a trade. Maybe they trade him somewhere where he'll have a real shot of contending for his final year. The way I see it, they might have $20M going to Howard, $10M going to Kobe, and maybe $9M going to Nash in the summer of 2014. And the projected salary cap is expected to be somewhere in the $65M range, maybe closer to $68M. That would give them roughly $29M or so to play with if Howard stays. Not a big chunk to fill out an entire roster, but couldn't that be enough to still offer a max contract to another star and fill out the roster with some decent players? We all know money can't buy instant chemistry, but if we kept some of the team intact it might not be that bad.

As frustrated as I am with Howard right now, it still make sense to rebuild with him and a new star player. He will still be able to attract players to sign for less money for a chance to win here. As bad as things looked here this season, it's not like other destinations look all that much better - there is just less of a media circus surrounding it elsewhere. The reality will set in that all teams will be limited by the new cap rules, and player will be signing for a little less with teams that give them the best chance to win. If Howard stays, that will give the Lakers a good chance to sign another good player in 2014.

I think Pau gets traded to bring in more shooters and better defenders, even if it's mostly for the bench. There will probably be a team out there that will take a chance on Pau, but they're not going to give back any decent picks or an equally talented starter. The deal would probably be a decent role player starter, or a couple of bench players that are better than what we have now. I think the trade happens if they're able to find a GM to play ball.

And I'll give a plug for Jerry Sloan to take over as coach... not that it will matter. Watching Pop's offense run was beautiful compared to our mess of an offense with no real system.
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby Doc Brown on Sun May 05, 2013 6:29 pm

Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA 51m
RT @kevinbarreto407: your opinion , D12 stays or goes ?? -->If nothing changes in LA will be hard for them to keep him... up to Lakers
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby TIME on Sun May 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
RT @kevinbarreto407: your opinion , D12 stays or goes ?? -->If nothing changes in LA will be hard for them to keep him... up to Lakers

I hope he's right... and we make the necessary change.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun May 05, 2013 6:52 pm

TIME wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

I hope he's right... and we make the necessary change.

They better or we are going to look like the Dallas Mavericks in 2014. Kobe (if he doesn't retire) + a bunch of random players thrown together because we have cap space would be the opposite of a good time.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sun May 05, 2013 6:53 pm

Dude is making some bold predictions.

We'll see.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Sun May 05, 2013 7:15 pm

It looks like the Lakers are ready to tank hard next season if Heisler's source is accurate.. or if Kyler is right and they built around Howard this summer.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby Murdock on Mon May 06, 2013 5:06 am

Ludachris wrote:I think they'd only resign Kobe if he took a Duncan-like cap friendly contract, and I think he'd consider it. But the team would need to show him they have a solid plan to make it worth him resigning for a lower salary. If his ego won't allow him to accept less than $11/year I'd bet they won't beg him since they'll be focused more on pairing Howard with another star player to move forward (and rightly so).

I think it all hinges on whether or not Howard stays. If he leaves it throws everything up in the air and who knows what happens. I'm betting Nash retires before the final year of his deal if both Howard and Gasol are gone or he asks for a trade. Maybe they trade him somewhere where he'll have a real shot of contending for his final year. The way I see it, they might have $20M going to Howard, $10M going to Kobe, and maybe $9M going to Nash in the summer of 2014. And the projected salary cap is expected to be somewhere in the $65M range, maybe closer to $68M. That would give them roughly $29M or so to play with if Howard stays. Not a big chunk to fill out an entire roster, but couldn't that be enough to still offer a max contract to another star and fill out the roster with some decent players? We all know money can't buy instant chemistry, but if we kept some of the team intact it might not be that bad.

As frustrated as I am with Howard right now, it still make sense to rebuild with him and a new star player. He will still be able to attract players to sign for less money for a chance to win here. As bad as things looked here this season, it's not like other destinations look all that much better - there is just less of a media circus surrounding it elsewhere. The reality will set in that all teams will be limited by the new cap rules, and player will be signing for a little less with teams that give them the best chance to win. If Howard stays, that will give the Lakers a good chance to sign another good player in 2014.

I think Pau gets traded to bring in more shooters and better defenders, even if it's mostly for the bench. There will probably be a team out there that will take a chance on Pau, but they're not going to give back any decent picks or an equally talented starter. The deal would probably be a decent role player starter, or a couple of bench players that are better than what we have now. I think the trade happens if they're able to find a GM to play ball.

And I'll give a plug for Jerry Sloan to take over as coach... not that it will matter. Watching Pop's offense run was beautiful compared to our mess of an offense with no real system.

Already been discussed at the beginning of the last season :D .. not saying you're wrong ... you're right ... but nobody will agree with you - Kobe deserves the money and he does that is true but he single handedly crippled lakers for next few season if this season didn't pan out which happened ... our only option now is to trade Gasol and Metta for few decent player which i am affraid is a problem because their value isn't what it used to be ...

I still think that Pau can be relevant - he was decent in last few games ... but metta needs to go ... but if Kobe doesn't come back - which i doubt he will - new year at best IMO or if he comes back sooner - new year till he becomes somewhat himself ... but that still means next season is most likely in the toilet as well
Murdock

Postby Phil XI on Wed May 08, 2013 8:25 pm

I have to disagree with much on here and give the FO more credit for having a plan they'll execute.
They won't sign or have included in a trade anyone who will hurt the summer 2014 cap (ex Dwight).
If they re-up for instance Clark, it'll have to have a team opt for year two like they gave Meeks.
They'll amnesty Metta for the tax savings and determine Pau after Dwight, then stand pat or deal him for slight savings but not impacting '14. There may not be a deal that allows that, which is why Pau staying is possible.
2014 plan: Dwight @20, Nash @10 and 10 cap holds @ 5 = 35. No 1st rdrs eating cap. No existing players beyond those two. Renounce everyone. Kobe's the wild card. If he takes say 7-8, they could offer a Max if cap is 60..
A) offer Lebron. If he declines, B) offer John Wall who is RFA. Probably matched. C) offer Paul George. Indy may not be in a cap sitch to match the LA native. If none come... this is where I have faith in the FO for '15. Fill out the roster with a few low cost decent players who should be avail like Sefalosha. Mayo, AK, etc, leaving at least 15m for '15 and KLove. You know he wants to play in LA desperately. Or Aldridge, Rondo, etc.
I trust the plan around Dwight.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby OX1947 on Wed May 08, 2013 9:44 pm

If Howard leaves, Gasol stays for one more year. Lakers re-sign Clark for a good price and amnesty Metta, let Meeks go and sign G-Lock for one year. Lakers start Jordan Hill next year with Pau and Clark starts at the 3 spot.

Nash
Kobe
Clark
Hill
Gasol

This team has a little more balance but they wont win a title unless they go 2 legit banch players who can start on other teams. Players like an OJ Mayo type of player who can cover 10-15 a game no matter what.

However, Lakers would go into the 2014 season with 9 million on the books with 50 million to spend. It could be very interesting what happens then and who opts into free agency.
OX1947

Postby Chillbongo on Thu May 09, 2013 2:55 pm

OX1947 wrote:If Howard leaves, Gasol stays for one more year. Lakers re-sign Clark for a good price and amnesty Metta, let Meeks go and sign G-Lock for one year. Lakers start Jordan Hill next year with Pau and Clark starts at the 3 spot.

Nash
Kobe
Clark
Hill
Gasol

This team has a little more balance but they wont win a title unless they go 2 legit banch players who can start on other teams. Players like an OJ Mayo type of player who can cover 10-15 a game no matter what.

However, Lakers would go into the 2014 season with 9 million on the books with 50 million to spend. It could be very interesting what happens then and who opts into free agency.

That roster would cost us about $75M...Getting rid of Nash would be awesome...then we'd only be about $8M over the cap...at around $66M....possibly putting us UNDER the luxury tax threshold.

I believe the new CBA is kicked in, so even then we wouldn't have a full MLE because we were over the luxury threshold this year.
Chillbongo

Postby OX1947 on Thu May 09, 2013 3:27 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
OX1947 wrote:If Howard leaves, Gasol stays for one more year. Lakers re-sign Clark for a good price and amnesty Metta, let Meeks go and sign G-Lock for one year. Lakers start Jordan Hill next year with Pau and Clark starts at the 3 spot.

Nash
Kobe
Clark
Hill
Gasol

That roster would cost us about $75M...Getting rid of Nash would be awesome...then we'd only be about $8M over the cap...at around $66M....possibly putting us UNDER the luxury tax threshold.

I believe the new CBA is kicked in, so even then we wouldn't have a full MLE because we were over the luxury threshold this year.

Correct. This team would be the equivalent of the Stockton/Malone Utah teams the last years they were together. Everyone knows they cant win it all, but the upcoming off season cap space is guaranteed. My only worry is the Lakers go into the summer of 2014 and there are no all world players available.
OX1947

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion