Steve Kyler: LA will stand pat w/ roster, Scott replaces MDA

Re: Steve Kyler: LA will stand pat w/ roster, Scott replaces MDA

Postby gcclaker on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:54 am

Rooscooter wrote:I can't even think about coaching until we get a team that can win on the floor. This group isn't a "coach" away from competing for the Division title much less a NBA title...... Coaches are important but no coach can fix our issues with a change of scheme and motivation.... that is missing but it's not going to make a difference.

If we blow it up I could see a guy like Fisher getting a shot with a team with low expectations. If we try and patch things up and sail with the leaky ship we have now it won't matter who the captain is going down with it next year....

We would ALL think that Laker management is aware of that. They've been trying the last two seasons to rid themselves of weighty contracts and transitioning away from the Tri. Had Stern not intervened, it would have been a triumvirate of Bryant, Paul and Howard. Then they were going to fill in the pieces from there. Yeah, it's a "what if" line of thinking but I doubt they'd sit back and not do a make-over during this season.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby VincentTH on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:02 pm

therealdeal wrote:I'm not sure Scott would be a great fit here, but one thing is certain: he's better than D'Antoni.

He'll have the team playing some defense at least.

I am afraid it will be Awin P. (Anybody Who Is Not Phil) will chosen as the next Lakers coach, after MDA is fired, given the man with a baseball cap track record.
VincentTH

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:04 pm

Everytime the nixed deal is brought up, my tick kicks in... :disagree:

But I think the way the new CBA has affected the NBA landscape, I don't think it will be easy selling Pau's expiring. I believe its more likely LA holds on to it and allows it to expire for the summer of 2014.

The only other option is to get really small rookie contracts back along with another expiring that opens up 2014 for us again.

Either way, we don't have any true draft prospects and with the new CBA rules restricting trade for tax paying teams, free agency is the most likely area we can improve the roster.

But more than anything else, cater the roster to the philosophy. So if MDA remains and LA chooses to go that route, then make the changes you can to get a more uptempo team. But if we're trying to highlight Dwight both offensively and defensively, MDA is clearly not the guy and you make a change up top before you tweak the roster to accommodate that philosophy moving forward. I obviously prefer the latter. And even if the team wants to go up tempo, I want a proven philosophy on defense. You can't help admire what Thibs has that Bulls team doing. I want a defensive identity, especially if Dwight re-ups to become our anchor.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby gill on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Yes... let's go another year with old legs that break down easily down the stretch and deal with MORE injuries next season... not to mention the younger/athletic league running circles around us. :man5:
gill

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:07 pm

^^I get your frustration....but our options are truly limited.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:17 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:But more than anything else, cater the roster to the philosophy. So if MDA remains and LA chooses to go that route, then make the changes you can to get a more uptempo team. But if we're trying to highlight Dwight both offensively and defensively, MDA is clearly not the guy and you make a change up top before you tweak the roster to accommodate that philosophy moving forward. I obviously prefer the latter. And even if the team wants to go up tempo, I want a proven philosophy on defense. You can't help admire what Thibs has that Bulls team doing. I want a defensive identity, especially if Dwight re-ups to become our anchor.

Exactly, IMO MDA and Dwight are not an ideal pair. Dwight likes the ball inside, in slowed-down half court schemes. MDA likes to shoot and run, and maximize possession #'s.

Dwight thrives in a defensive oriented culture and with a roster that can apply it. MDA doesn't emphasize defense and the personnel he favors isn't necessarily defensively capable.

The #1 reason we got MDA was to run up and down and stay with the league right? We clearly see that we don't have the roster to do that, most notably because our future franchise center piece doesn't fit with that.

If I'm the Lakers, doesn't that mean I have two options? 1) Keep Dwight and find a coach that can make us contenders or 2)Keep MDA and find the roster that fits with him?
Chillbongo

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:23 pm

Vasashi17 wrote: You can't help admire what Thibs has that Bulls team doing. I want a defensive identity, especially if Dwight re-ups to become our anchor.

Thibs is a superstar head coach. Schematically, he's the best defensive coach in the NBA, IMO. He demands effort and attention to detail on the defensive end from his players. He's a bit of a taskmaster. Although, I would take him in a heartbeat over anybody in the league right now. The problem is there is nobody like Thibs available right now. Nevertheless, that should be the blueprint we should be looking for and finding the closest thing to that man as a coach.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:44 pm

Rooscooter wrote:I can't even think about coaching until we get a team that can win on the floor. This group isn't a "coach" away from competing for the Division title much less a NBA title...... Coaches are important but no coach can fix our issues with a change of scheme and motivation.... that is missing but it's not going to make a difference.

^^ Very realistic post and I pretty much agree with it, although I'd like to see both roster and coaching change happen. This roster next year won't win it, no matter who the coach is. So if they stand pat, which is again what the "Mouth of the organization," John Ireland reiterated on the radio today and is trying to sell to the fans the way he tried to sell us on D' Antoni in the first place, then it won't even matter - they won't win. The guy bugs me to no end when he does this PR crap for the FO, but it's obviously part of his job description. I just think they all must believe we're complete imbeciles as fans and that we'll swallow whatever they shove down our throats without question. It's insulting, honestly.

Anyway, we'll see what they do. If they do nothing we're going nowhere. If they make moves in the roster and coaching areas then we at least stand a chance.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:48 pm

Why are being insulted?

Not every season is a Championship season. The rebuild wasn't scheduled for another 2 years. That isn't going to change. We're not going to jeopardize that.

Next season is likely going to be similar to this one. Without some of the injuries of course.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:59 pm

therealdeal wrote:Not every season is a Championship season. The rebuild wasn't scheduled for another 2 years. That isn't going to change. We're not going to jeopardize that.

Next season is likely going to be similar to this one. Without some of the injuries of course.

My thoughts too.

The only way it isn't going be similar to this year is if....Dwight Howard has something to say.

"I'll extend if we're a contender"

"I'll extend if we get a coach that utilizes me to my fullest"

etc
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Don't get me wrong, I think there's going to be some major changes this summer. Whether that's D'Antoni or the FO or the roster, I don't know. Somethings will definitely change though.

I'm just not going to get upset over it because who could have honestly predicted this mess? Who could have said at the start of this season that we wouldn't just have our top 10 players hurt this season, but our starting five would play together maybe a total of 2-3 games? Or that we wouldn't have our Superstar not just during THESE playoffs, but maybe not fully healthy until the NEXT playoffs? Who could have said any of that?...

It ruins any semblance of a plan that we might have had. Because honestly moving into next season if we had Kobe/Dwight/maybe Nash and a crew around them I'd say "hey we have an outside shot at getting to the Finals".

Now that's kind of out the window...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Avenged24 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:45 pm

gill wrote:Yes... let's go another year with old legs that break down easily down the stretch and deal with MORE injuries next season... not to mention the younger/athletic league running circles around us. :man5:

It's not so much about the old legs as much as it the coach running them to the ground, period. The old age just adds insult to injury.
Last edited by Avenged24 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avenged24

Postby JGC on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:05 pm

I agree with the notion LA will stand pat with the roster. Maybe some changes here and there, but there will not be major changes. What would be the point? Wait for 2014.
JGC

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:14 pm

therealdeal wrote:Why are being insulted?

Not every season is a Championship season. The rebuild wasn't scheduled for another 2 years. That isn't going to change. We're not going to jeopardize that.

Perhaps you're not bothered by John Ireland feeding the public the company line. I personally find it insulting. I found it insulting when he was selling us on D' Antoni in the first place and I find it more insulting now when he comes on the radio saying, "Why is there so much hate for D' Antoni?" and defends him on air. The guy was and continues to be a terrible fit. No amount of smoke screen interference run by the mouth for the FO is going to change that fact. The fact that he thinks he can sell us snake oil is perturbing to me. The Lakers fans aren't idiots. The majority of us have been dissatisfied with his hire from the beginning. And for good reasons.

And wait a second, realdeal, you've been calling for us to trade Pau all season long and now all of a sudden you're cool with us standing pat with this broken down roster? I don't get that? I actually defended Pau at times this year, but our only chance to get better that I can see starts with his contract.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:42 pm

The truth is, we don't know what will happen. No one knows. There's always opportunities out there, and Mitch has been nothing short of amazing for being patient and letting the pieces fall into place.

That said, the current plan is probably just to fill a couple of holes and then hope to stay healthy next season. I still think we have a top 5 roster if we can do that, and if Kobe can be at least 85%.

At the end of the day, though, I say F all these trade restrictions and crap. Anybody should be free to sign wherever they damn well want. :man11:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:18 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Why are being insulted?

Perhaps you're not bothered by John Ireland feeding the public the company line. I personally find it insulting. I found it insulting when he was selling us on D' Antoni in the first place and I find it more insulting now when he comes on the radio saying, "Why is there so much hate for D' Antoni?" and defends him on air. The guy was and continues to be a terrible fit. No amount of smoke screen interference run by the mouth for the FO is going to change that fact. The fact that he thinks he can sell us snake oil is perturbing to me. The Lakers fans aren't idiots. The majority of us have been dissatisfied with his hire from the beginning. And for good reasons.

And wait a second, realdeal, you've been calling for us to trade Pau all season long and now all of a sudden you're cool with us standing pat with this broken down roster? I don't get that? I actually defended Pau at times this year, but our only chance to get better that I can see starts with his contract.

No no, LJ. A couple posts after this one I clarified: I've just kind of hit the point where I'm not upset anymore. It is what it is.

I think major overhaul needs to happen next season no matter what, but I've come to terms with the fact that even if Mitch makes all the right moves this summer, it could mean that we still aren't a great team next season.

I'm not going to hold it against Ireland to be optimistic about next season and tell us that they can be alright without changes. I'm going to hold it against the fates for two Hall of Fame caliber players being ridiculously injured.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:24 pm

^^ Ah, gotcha, realdeal. :beer:

And Go Lakers tonight. I know it's farfetched, but I'm still hoping for one win against SAS at least.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:43 pm

I think tonight is the night we steal one. With everyone gone and with expectations so low, I think the Lakers come away with a win against a Spurs team who isn't quite ready for it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kobe_008 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:57 am

JGC wrote:Whoever the coach is, it needs to be someone who can stand up to Kobe the way Phil was able to. Scott won't do that. And neither would Derek. They're just too close. Shaw, MAYBE, but he's not an option.

Bottom line, someone has to be able to say, Kobe sit your butt back down on that bench, you are NOT playing 48 mins per game, etc.

Wow-it's still Kobe's fault eh
kobe_008

Postby snackdaddy on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:21 am

I don't care who the coach is. If they stand pat with this roster they are not winning a title. In today's NBA, you can only get so far without athletic players. Look at the guys who've lost considerable playing time. Aside from Hill, all are in their 30's.

Do we really think they will be healthier next year when they're already old now and will be a year older next year? No way Nash, Pau and Blake will play a whole season.

And we don't know if this injury to Kobe will be the beginning of the end. He's in his mid 30's. Injuries are more frequent as you age. Coming back from a serious injury like that can easily lead to more problems as you tend to favor that leg.

We really need some young, athletic players who can run the floor and shoot. But I think their options will be limited next season.

I expect they will stand pat, be a uppers 40's or 50 win type team. Maybe get the 4th or 5th seed and maybe make round two. That will sell tickets and generate enough revenue for next year. And maybe they can clear money off the books for 2014/2015 and try to build another contender post Kobe.

Can't win a title every year. We win one in two or three years and the Laker franchise is back where they belong. Plus, Boston ain't winning one anytime soon. So we'll eventually get that 17th and 18th to move ahead of them for the most titles.

It took almost a decade after Magic and less than a decade after Shaq to win more. So have faith we will be back in the saddle in a few short years.
snackdaddy

Postby The Rock on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:10 am

If next year is gonna be a "Rebuilding" year which is gonna be a wash, might as well keep MDA...guys like Hill, Clark, Gasol. MWP, Blake have more trade value now than when they started the year. Gasol of course by default because of his expiring contract but if a team is willing to look at his contributions thats 3 triple doubles in a 2 weeks span for Pau. MDA is pumping up their value so thats good. I think we should consider next year a wash and build for 2014, gather some picks or open capspace, thats a loaded draft with lots of marquee free agents available

But the question is will Dwight accept that and re-sign with us? Team is at a cross roads right now

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:04 am

I don't even feel like watching next season if MWP and Pau are still on this team
wcsoldier81

Postby OX1947 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:10 pm

Pau being traded for some youth and a #1 rounder should happen. He is expiring for another team and a great post presence. Metta gets amnestied. And then from there, start getting youth. I wish Nash could hang it up but, i do not think he is going to go out like this. If he stays healthy next year, he is an asset from his smarts and shooting alone. This team needs shooters, plain and simple. Otherwise they wont be utilizing dwights skills enough.
OX1947

Postby Center Court on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:23 pm

^^ the only way Pau is traded is if it brings back short term contracts or a player that is worth losing xcap space in 2014 for.

I keep on preaching this but the best remedy is minor tweaks and Phil. There is no single or singing we can make that will take us to the favorite. That's why IMO is best to just try and get us to a contender stage and see what happens. Hiring Phi will get Dwight to stay. It will create a short championship window and restore order.

Maybe at this point Phil doesn't want to coach. If so, then I suppose we should try and go after another guy and just try and maximize this core.

Either way, we need a starting SF who is a good/great defender and can hit shots, shooters, and an upgreade at backup PG who is also capable of starting- someone like Jarrett Jack (though he aint leaving GS).
Center Court

Postby JGC on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:26 pm

kobe_008 wrote:
JGC wrote:Whoever the coach is, it needs to be someone who can stand up to Kobe the way Phil was able to. Scott won't do that. And neither would Derek. They're just too close. Shaw, MAYBE, but he's not an option.

Bottom line, someone has to be able to say, Kobe sit your butt back down on that bench, you are NOT playing 48 mins per game, etc.

Wow-it's still Kobe's fault eh

What on earth are you talking about kobe_008?
JGC

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion