Steve Nash Discussion: Retiring; Lakers Disabled Exception

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby darkice18 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:31 pm

Oh my bad dude, glad to have you mods take care of the merging process. Thanks! :jam2:
darkice18

Postby TIME on Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:34 pm

darkice18 wrote:Oh my bad dude, glad to have you mods take care of the merging process. Thanks! :jam2:

It's no problem man, it really is a fun video to watch.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Frank Dux wrote:
KB24 wrote:

Great breakdown of what Nash brings to the table. Is there a player with a higher basketball IQ in the NBA than Nash?

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuke :man1:
nthydro

Postby DHL on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby Scnottaken on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:24 pm

DHL wrote:

What Westbrook would have done if he were the ball handler: Lets run really very very fast into the defender, and try to get to the rim!
What Chris Paul would have done: Lets run into the defender and spin around 3000 times. Then I get to shoot free throws!
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby XXIV on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:25 pm

That's an insane pass. :bow:
XXIV

Postby scheven on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:41 pm

scheven

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:37 am

scheven wrote:

THE RETURN OF BALL MOVEMENT!!! OMFG WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby The Rock on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:39 am

Kobe, Nash, Gasol...3 very very High IQ players and Ron is no slouch either. He played in Adelman's system for a couple of years and his post entry passing was solid when he joined the Lakers in 09/10.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:12 am

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
scheven wrote:

THE RETURN OF BALL MOVEMENT!!! OMFG WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?

This is exactly why I am so looking forward to running Princeton sets. Our pieces actually fit VERY well into the offense. I know people are getting nervous about Dwight having the ball up top on some possessions, but to me that just initiates a high pick and roll hand off situation.

This team is going to be so explosive. I can't wait.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:05 am

Nash is the 8th best PnR guard in the league? That's surprising. I would have thought top 3 for sure. I guess the stats needed for ranking have to do with the other players finishing for the guard, which would lower Nash's ranking?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:24 am

Punk-101 wrote:Nash is the 8th best PnR guard in the league? That's surprising. I would have thought top 3 for sure. I guess the stats needed for ranking have to do with the other players finishing for the guard, which would lower Nash's ranking?

I don't know what metric he's using but Nash's passing out of the pick and roll set lead to a basket 59.5% of the time, the best of any player with at least 100 possessions (Synergy Sports.com).

Howard scores 73.7% of the time in pick and roll sets. We've got ourselves a combo.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:44 am

I can't believe Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith are more well-known in the realm of "sports media" than the B-Ball Breakdown guy. His analysis of the game is actually pretty sound. I remember when he did a comparo a few years back between the Lakers and how efficient the triangle was and the Clippers who (much like us last year) would just stand around and pass the ball to Biff and Eric Gordon. His vids are excellent and it's embarrassing that garbage like "First Take" gets more recognition than his analysis of the game.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:35 am

^^^Well to be fair to "First Take", having a brain and knowledge of the game, while being able to demonstrate it appropriately is not one of the qualifications to be on the show.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby jamabile on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:44 am

This was an excerpt from an interview done with Mike Brown. Source. http://espn.go.com/blog/losangeles/lake ... mike-brown

LO’L: How does the Princeton work with having someone like Nash? As is my understanding, it’s not as much a heavy pick-and-roll offense, but more motion and ball movement.

MB: “The way that we’ll put it together, Steve’s going to have an opportunity -- he’s going to quarterback the team -- and so he’s going to have an opportunity to come down the floor every possession and in early offense play pick-and-roll if he wants to. It’s up to him, based on where he decides to take the ball or a call that he makes or an action that he does, it’s up to him to get us into some of the looks of the Princeton offense.

“So again, with him quarterbacking, or making that decision, he’ll still have a chance to get the ball back after he moves or after bodies move. I don’t want to completely give away what we’re trying to do, but in a nutshell, he will have an opportunity to play pick-and-roll at the beginning of almost every play set coming down the floor in early offense. And if not, he can also choose to get to some of the looks out of the Princeton by making a pass or doing an action or doing a call or whatever.”

It looks like he'll give Steve the independence he needs to run this offense efficiently, and he should.
jamabile

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:59 am

^^ That's great news. I was worried they were going to get too hung up on the new system and it would take away from Nash's natural tendencies to just flat out run an offense, and also that it might take away from the P and R and Pick and Pop opportunities. Good to see Brown is going to let Nash do his thing first and foremost and then go to Princeton sets after that. That's smart and I'm glad. It makes sense.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Punk-101 wrote:Nash is the 8th best PnR guard in the league? That's surprising. I would have thought top 3 for sure. I guess the stats needed for ranking have to do with the other players finishing for the guard, which would lower Nash's ranking?

Yeah I have no idea what stats he is using, but my eyeballs tell me Nash is the best P&R PG in the world.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Murdock on Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:03 pm

TIME wrote:

Yeah I have no idea what stats he is using, but my eyeballs tell me Nash is the best P&R PG in the world.

couln't have said it better
Murdock

Postby KB24 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:55 am

So the moral of the story in this video is that Ron is the statue of liberty on offense.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby nthydro on Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:26 pm

Murdock wrote:
TIME wrote:

couln't have said it better

That's why I've never been fan of using stats to gauge a player's effective. There's just so many variables to factor in and sometimes it's entirely out of that particularly player's hand. I can guarantee Steve Nash would look pretty damn mortal if he was running P&R with Kwame Brown :man10:
nthydro

Postby thkthebest on Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm not sure with the 8th best thing is about, but Nash's passes out of pnr were statistically the best in the league. Howard was also the best finisher. You pair those two up, and it's not even fair.
thkthebest

Postby Forklift on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:32 pm

more love to this thread!! soo question (yes i'm bored) if Nash puts up good enough numbers in the Finals do you think he can snag the Finals MVP from Kobe? I mean Nash and Kobe went to the NBA at around the same Season (i think.) They both have MVP trophies and Nash is a great leader, he can also put up some crazy numbers both scoring and assists only factor that might stop it would be Kobe being a Laker since the start of his NBA career. Not saying i want to have Nash the Final's MVP. Just curious on what your takes on it.
Forklift

Postby kenzo on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:54 pm

With all the respect in the world to Steve, Dwight is the only player that can take Finals MVP away from Kobe.
kenzo

Postby LakerLegacy24 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:06 pm

I'm fine with whomever gets the MVP as long as we get that big gold trophy.
"Kobe Bryant, we are not worthy of your greatness." -Rick Kamla
LakerLegacy24

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:20 pm

LakerLegacy24 wrote:I'm fine with whomever gets the MVP as long as we get that big gold trophy.

Yep and I'm sure Kobe thinks and feels the same way
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion