Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby v1n5anity on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:11 am

therealdeal wrote::man10: at having such an adamant argument over something so awesome.

I wouldn't mind if either of those two took the shots, I have 100% faith in both of them.


I have faith in Kobe. I just have more in Nash.
User avatar
v1n5anity

 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby nthydro on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Vinsanity,

Of course it's a debate. I wouldn't pose the question if it wasn't. But I'd still take Kobe because like I stated, I trust him more. You're right I didn't watch Nash much since I don't have league pass. And that's why I've never SEEN him make clutch free throws. I'm not the type who goes by percentages or reputation when I analyze a player. I'm not discounting percentages completely, but theres many other variables to consider. I have to see it to believe it. Your argument was that if a player shoots a higher overall percentage then that automatically means he's a better clutch free throw shooter

That's simply not true. If you were to show me their clutch free throw stats like you did then your argument would've been more convincing. Theres no question in mind Nash is better free throw shooter in normal game situation. But the fact that I never seen him shoot clutch free throws, I'd rather take Kobe who I've witness with my own eyes. It's that simple.

Okay using Steve Blake was too dramatic of an example. If you're down by 3, who would you rather have take the shot, Kobe or Nash (who obviously has the better %)? Now it be crazy for anyone to say that Kobe is a better overall 3 point shooter cause he's not. Nash has proven to be one of the greatest pure shooters in history. But I'd still take Kobe in that situation. And based on past surveys I'm sure many GMs would agree with me.
Last edited by nthydro on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nthydro

 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:02 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter

No breaking news here, but Nash hasn't missed a FT yet this week. Just dropped 25 straight to be the first off the court.
Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
User avatar
Battle Tested20

 
Posts: 11704
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (SDSU)

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby davriver290 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter

No breaking news here, but Nash hasn't missed a FT yet this week. Just dropped 25 straight to be the first off the court.


:jam2:
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
User avatar
davriver290

 
Posts: 5711
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:14 pm

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:18 pm

V1n5anity wrote:
therealdeal wrote::man10: at having such an adamant argument over something so awesome.

I wouldn't mind if either of those two took the shots, I have 100% faith in both of them.


I have faith in Kobe. I just have more in Nash.

That's fair. Kobe's built a career here making clutch shots, so if he wanted to take it I would bet my money he'd make it.

It's a win-win. That's why I find it funny we're debating it so heavily.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby Alcindor on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Just heard great George Karl quote on Mason & Ireland. he was talking about how badly he hated the Lakers and said when we got Nash he called up Mitch and said "You've got that rabbit's foot stuck so far up your damn ***"...
User avatar
Alcindor

 
Posts: 1833
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:22 pm
Location: North Hollywood

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby v1n5anity on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:48 pm

nthydro wrote:Vinsanity,

Of course it's a debate. I wouldn't pose the question if it wasn't. But I'd still take Kobe because like I stated, I trust him more.


Trusting him more isn't really a valid argument. I even posted stats for you. It's really not that hard.

You're right I didn't watch Nash much since I don't have league pass. And that's why I've never SEEN him make clutch free throws.


That's why they have stats.

I'm not the type who goes by percentages or reputation when I analyze a player.


I'm not big on numbers either, but here they are applicable in the Nash vs. Kobe debate.

I'm not discounting percentages completely, but theres many other variables to consider.


All variables considered, Nash is the better option.

I have to see it to believe it.


The numbers don't lie.

Your argument was that if a player shoots a higher overall percentage then that automatically means he's a better clutch free throw shooter


I never said that. I asked why you would want a worse FT shooter (Kobe) shooting free throws over the better FT shooter (Nash)? And like I've said before, I'm not basing this just off stats. I've seen Steve in the clutch and he has ice in his veins.

I know that just because you have a higher FT percentage than Kobe, it doesn't automatically mean you are a better crunch time option. I wasn't arguing that. I am simply arguing why Nash is unquestionably the better free throw shooter in crunch time.

That's simply not true. If you were to show me their clutch free throw stats like you did then your argument would've been more convincing.


That's not my argument. I showed you the clutch stats for Nash. How are you still arguing? The numbers do not lie.

Theres no question in mind Nash is better free throw shooter in normal game situation.


He's a better FT shooter in ALL situations.

But the fact that I never seen him shoot clutch free throws, I'd rather take Kobe who I've witness with my own eyes. It's that simple.


I understand it's simple. It's just wrong. You are biased and the numbers clearly prove that. The last 4-5 seasons, Nash has shot significantly better on crunch time free throws compared to Kobe. And he shoots a fair amount of them. There's nothing to argue. Once again, this is not to say Kobe isn't a great FT shooter, but Nash is simply on another level. It's like Dirk. I'd want Dirk shooting FTs over Kobe anyday and everyday.

Okay using Steve Blake was too dramatic of an example. If you're down by 3, who would you rather have take the shot, Kobe or Nash (who obviously has the better %)?


The question you asked was who I'd want to take the OPEN 3 pointer. There's no question I'd want Nash shooting an open 3 over Kobe. There's absolutely nothing to argue there.

Now it be crazy for anyone to say that Kobe is a better overall 3 point shooter cause he's not.


Agree.

Nash has proven to be one of the greatest pure shooters in history.


And he's currently tied as the best free throw shooter of all time. Which is another reason this shouldn't even be a debate.

But I'd still take Kobe in that situation.


And this is you being biased again. Why on earth would you want Kobe shooting an OPEN 3 over one of the best shooters of all time? I'd want guys like Dirk/Nash taking open 3s in crunch time over Kobe anyday. Are you seriously kidding me here? Do you really think that this "clutch" thing makes Kobe unstoppable or something? Again, I'm not comparing anyone but Kobe and Nash (and I guess Dirk), but how on earth can you say Kobe > Nash at an OPEN potential game-winning three? Nash is clutch. He makes clutch 3s at a much more efficient rate than Kobe in crunch time. This is getting ridiculous.

And based on past surveys I'm sure many GMs would agree with me.


No. They wouldn't. If you asked which player you'd want shooting the OPEN potential game-winning 3, there's no doubt the unanimous pick would be Nash (in a Nash vs. Kobe debate).

GMs vote Kobe as the best last-shot player because he has the ability to get off any shot, from anywhere. He can have three guys on him but still get off a decent shot. That's why GMs pick him to take the last shot, not because he's the best open shooter in the NBA. If that were the question, Kobe wouldn't even be considered.
User avatar
v1n5anity

 
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby nthydro on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:04 pm

V1n5anity wrote:
nthydro wrote:Vinsanity,

Of course it's a debate. I wouldn't pose the question if it wasn't. But I'd still take Kobe because like I stated, I trust him more.


Trusting him more isn't really a valid argument. I even posted stats for you. It's really not that hard.

You're right I didn't watch Nash much since I don't have league pass. And that's why I've never SEEN him make clutch free throws.


That's why they have stats.

I'm not the type who goes by percentages or reputation when I analyze a player.


I'm not big on numbers either, but here they are applicable in the Nash vs. Kobe debate.

I'm not discounting percentages completely, but theres many other variables to consider.


All variables considered, Nash is the better option.

I have to see it to believe it.


The numbers don't lie.

Your argument was that if a player shoots a higher overall percentage then that automatically means he's a better clutch free throw shooter


I never said that. I asked why you would want a worse FT shooter (Kobe) shooting free throws over the better FT shooter (Nash)? And like I've said before, I'm not basing this just off stats. I've seen Steve in the clutch and he has ice in his veins.

I know that just because you have a higher FT percentage than Kobe, it doesn't automatically mean you are a better crunch time option. I wasn't arguing that. I am simply arguing why Nash is unquestionably the better free throw shooter in crunch time.

That's simply not true. If you were to show me their clutch free throw stats like you did then your argument would've been more convincing.


That's not my argument. I showed you the clutch stats for Nash. How are you still arguing? The numbers do not lie.

Theres no question in mind Nash is better free throw shooter in normal game situation.


He's a better FT shooter in ALL situations.

But the fact that I never seen him shoot clutch free throws, I'd rather take Kobe who I've witness with my own eyes. It's that simple.


I understand it's simple. It's just wrong. You are biased and the numbers clearly prove that. The last 4-5 seasons, Nash has shot significantly better on crunch time free throws compared to Kobe. And he shoots a fair amount of them. There's nothing to argue. Once again, this is not to say Kobe isn't a great FT shooter, but Nash is simply on another level. It's like Dirk. I'd want Dirk shooting FTs over Kobe anyday and everyday.

Okay using Steve Blake was too dramatic of an example. If you're down by 3, who would you rather have take the shot, Kobe or Nash (who obviously has the better %)?


The question you asked was who I'd want to take the OPEN 3 pointer. There's no question I'd want Nash shooting an open 3 over Kobe. There's absolutely nothing to argue there.

Now it be crazy for anyone to say that Kobe is a better overall 3 point shooter cause he's not.


Agree.

Nash has proven to be one of the greatest pure shooters in history.


And he's currently tied as the best free throw shooter of all time. Which is another reason this shouldn't even be a debate.

But I'd still take Kobe in that situation.


And this is you being biased again. Why on earth would you want Kobe shooting an OPEN 3 over one of the best shooters of all time? I'd want guys like Dirk/Nash taking open 3s in crunch time over Kobe anyday. Are you seriously kidding me here? Do you really think that this "clutch" thing makes Kobe unstoppable or something? Again, I'm not comparing anyone but Kobe and Nash (and I guess Dirk), but how on earth can you say Kobe > Nash at an OPEN potential game-winning three? Nash is clutch. He makes clutch 3s at a much more efficient rate than Kobe in crunch time. This is getting ridiculous.

And based on past surveys I'm sure many GMs would agree with me.


No. They wouldn't. If you asked which player you'd want shooting the OPEN potential game-winning 3, there's no doubt the unanimous pick would be Nash (in a Nash vs. Kobe debate).

GMs vote Kobe as the best last-shot player because he has the ability to get off any shot, from anywhere. He can have three guys on him but still get off a decent shot. That's why GMs pick him to take the last shot, not because he's the best open shooter in the NBA. If that were the question, Kobe wouldn't even be considered.


They have an annual poll and GMs routinely picked Kobe as the player they want to shoot the last second shot. There's no asterisk exclaiming whether the shot is open or not. Your claim that they would "unanimous" pick Nash if it was open is based on what? Pure speculation. I've seen Nash make clutch shots before but not anywhere near the amount that Kobe has hit. You're right GMs didn't pick Kobe because he's the best shooter in the NBA, they picked him because of his ability to overcome the pressure and make shots. Whether it's open or not, there's still an enormous amount of pressure.

I'm not sure where you stats came from but what are the criteria? Your stats don't clearly define a "clutch" situation. Is it just any free throw under 2 minutes? So if the Lakers are up 8 with a minute left and Kobe misses a free throw, is that considered missing a clutch free throw? Nope, not in my opinion. What I'm talking about is along the lines of down 2 with 10 seconds left with the chance to tie up. There's a huge difference in the amount of pressure in the two scenario. And IMO no one handles pressure situations better than Kobe.

I already explained to you why I would pick Kobe, it's cause I've witness him do it many times over. There's a reason why he's known as one of the greatest clutch players of all time. I don't care what the situation is, if the game is on the line I'll take Kobe all day, everyday.
nthydro

 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:17 pm

I'm so glad to have Steve. Finally, we have a point guard who can initiate the offense, make others around him better, get other players involved, run the pick & roll, etc. Steve is going to keep everybody happy...
dwighthowardsdad

 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 am

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby ladam24 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:54 pm

So you guys think Nash is our new Techinal free-show shooter? It has been Kobe for quite a few seasons.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
User avatar
ladam24

 
Posts: 11829
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:57 pm
Location: Gold Coast, AUS

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:56 pm

ladam24 wrote:So you guys think Nash is our new Techinal free-show shooter? It has been Kobe for quite a few seasons.

Yes. He's the better free throw shooter so I'd imagine that would be the case.
Image
User avatar
Texas Lakers Fan

 
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:26 am

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby XXIV on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:57 pm

ladam24 wrote:So you guys think Nash is our new Techinal free-show shooter? It has been Kobe for quite a few seasons.


Kobe seems more than ok with Nash taking the free throws, and it definitely should be Nash who takes those free throws.
XXIV

 
Posts: 6390
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby Juronimo on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:48 pm

I still can't believe Steve Nash is a Laker, my goodness. I have my Steve Nash jersey hanging in the closet.
Image

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
User avatar
Juronimo

 
Posts: 6598
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:20 pm
Location: Fist in the air on a quest for justice

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby dj vitus on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:07 pm

I think we'll see Steve Nash take the clutch shot more often than Kobe. I mean, Kobe has deferred to Robert Horry on a number of occasions, so he'll definitely defer to Nash if he doesn't have a good shot.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
User avatar
dj vitus

 
Posts: 9481
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:59 pm
Location: Walnut, CA by way of Laaaas Vegas!

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:18 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter

No breaking news here, but Nash hasn't missed a FT yet this week. Just dropped 25 straight to be the first off the court.



:man10: :man10: Game set match to this argument....perfect timing :bow:
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6486
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby Rooscooter on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:21 pm

ladam24 wrote:So you guys think Nash is our new Techinal free-show shooter? It has been Kobe for quite a few seasons.


I think Fisher used to do some of it under Phil didn't he?..... Kobe usually shoots them but if that continues with Nash on the team we need a new coach.....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23048
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby Finwë on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:33 pm

Unless there's something wrong, Nash should be taking the FTs. He's among IMO the 5 best shooters of all-time, and among the 2-3 best FT shooters of all-time. He's also a VERY effective player in the clutch, so I don't know why there's such a big discussion going on. Not trusting Nash to hit 2 FTs in the clutch in favor of anyone in the team is kinda disrespecting him.
Different players have different specialties, and shooting is one of Nash's. Kobe's a phenomenal shooter and has been one of the clutchest players ever, but Nash is better at shooting FTs. Any FTs. It's that simple, I think Kobe knows that and sort of indicated so in yesterday's interview.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:25 pm

The only reason Nash shouldn't be shooting T FTs -- we are blowing a team out of the water and we put an awful FT shooter there for craps and giggles. I'd say Dwight, but if we're blowing a team out, he has no business being in the game...hopefully Brown will agree.
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94034
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:37 pm

nash and dwight joking around during post practice interviews :jam2:
Image
User avatar
Ariza3

 
Posts: 4701
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:41 pm

Latest 2 regular seasons FT% in the clutch ( game within 5 with 5 minutes left)

Nash : 95 % and 100%

Kobe : 87% and 82%

FG % in the clutch last season

Nash 52% and 38% from 3

Kobe 36% and 29% from 3

Nash took 23 shots in the clutch , Kobe 122 though
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6428
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:09 am

Ariza3 wrote:nash and dwight joking around during post practice interviews :jam2:

Yeah I saw that :man10:

Their chemistry is already really great. I just can't see this team having any "team" or "chemistry" issues during the year when you have great personality guys like Nash, Dwight, and Jamison on your team to mesh well with the firiy Kobe
Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
User avatar
Battle Tested20

 
Posts: 11704
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (SDSU)

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby lakersStan24 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:57 am

Hopefully Steve Nash will fit in Better than Gary Payton Did in our offensive sceme I mean Seems GP Had a few problems here and there with our system at the time
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
User avatar
lakersStan24

 
Posts: 744
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 4:26 pm

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby The Original 81 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:18 am

Juronimo wrote:I still can't believe Steve Nash is a Laker, my goodness. I have my Steve Nash jersey hanging in the closet.


Got mine recently as well. This jersey is a must buy, just for the sole reason of sticking it to Suns fans.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
User avatar
The Original 81

 
Posts: 5261
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:21 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby kobe_mamba on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:54 am

I know why Steve Nash is so good.....he's not human, he's i-robot....!? :man12:

Image

Image
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
User avatar
kobe_mamba

 
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:07 am

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:08 am

^HAHA.. MAPLE MAMBA is I-Robot :jam2:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
User avatar
puffyusaf#2

 
Posts: 30703
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: Chasing the dream to an Oscar

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bnr034, Google [Bot] and 13 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.