Steve Nash Discussion: Retiring; Lakers Disabled Exception

Re: Steve Nash Thread (PG 3, Lakers Enter Nash Sweepstakes)

Postby kobe_luver on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:10 am

Basketbuddy wrote:Image

:man1:

I like it (just hope it didn't jinx a trade)! :man1:
WE ARE 2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!

WE ARE 2010 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!

WE WILL BE 2013 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!
kobe_luver

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:18 am

CarFlagChris wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:The attempted CP3 trade shows us that the FO is ready to take the ball out of his hands & let an elite PG run the offense.. I don't think there will be any issues there..

If Mitch pulls off Nash & Dwight alone, he deserves his suit hanging in the rafters.. I think he'll also bring in some quality pieces that fit with a Pau trade or smaller deals/fa signings..

If we get D12, we need to keep Gasol in order to have a 4 who is in inside/outside threat.
But Mitch, definitely deserves GM of the year honors.

Nash is a good fit offensively. Defensively, there are very few who are going to stop Westbrook.

Gasol needs to go no matter what. He's not a great fit next to Howard and he's getting paid 20 million dollars. He needs to leave.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Steve Nash

Postby CarFlagChris on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:18 am

Venti Quattro wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Venti Quattro wrote:If my math is accurate, using the $8.9 million Odom trade exception as the year one salary, the Lakers could offer Nash a three-year deal worth $28,702,500.

Robert Sarver would get $9 million in cash with a sign-and-trade using that traded player exception.

I would think the Lakers would send Sessions and Ebanks to Phoenix. It would just be two separate deals to make it work under the salary cap.

If these numbers work, Nash would be a suitable replacement for CP3.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby CarFlagChris on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:27 am

therealdeal wrote:
CarFlagChris wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:The attempted CP3 trade shows us that the FO is ready to take the ball out of his hands & let an elite PG run the offense.. I don't think there will be any issues there..

If Mitch pulls off Nash & Dwight alone, he deserves his suit hanging in the rafters.. I think he'll also bring in some quality pieces that fit with a Pau trade or smaller deals/fa signings..

If we get D12, we need to keep Gasol in order to have a 4 who is in inside/outside threat.
But Mitch, definitely deserves GM of the year honors.

Nash is a good fit offensively. Defensively, there are very few who are going to stop Westbrook.

Gasol needs to go no matter what. He's not a great fit next to Howard and he's getting paid 20 million dollars. He needs to leave.

Upon reflection, you are correct on both.
Nash's best days were when PHX had all of the shooters and he had a spread offense, with good spacing.
To accomplish that, we need to trade Gasol for 2 persons.
And, that way we get more players for Gasol's salary.
Do we also have a reunion with Grant Hill?
CarFlagChris

Postby eltoro on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:40 am

Guys, guys, guys! Kobe will finish his career as one of the top 3 players in the history of this game. Just because he has played most of his career without a ball-dominant point guard does not mean that he can't play with one. That is absurd.

Kobe's game has been isolation heavy one-on-one because of the offenses and guards that he has played with. Sme of you act like he can't make plays off of screens which is also equally absurd. Who do you think was running off all those screens with the clock winding down and hitting all those clutch Js?
eltoro

Postby eltoro on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:42 am

Nash and Kobe are gonna play together just fine. Nash is really gonna open it up for our bigs by getting easy open looks to our shooters.
eltoro

Postby CarFlagChris on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:54 am

eltoro wrote:Nash and Kobe are gonna play together just fine. Nash is really gonna open it up for our bigs by getting easy open looks to our shooters.

Nash may prevent Kobe being doubled, as he is a great shooter and, more importantly, can create for himself off the dribble.

Also, he has Kobe's respect as Kobe has said he is one the best pure shooters he has ever faced.
CarFlagChris

Postby jimbo327 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:58 am

Fine fine. We'll take Bynum for D12. Then sign Nash. Reloaded for another run. Don't be a cheap arse, Jim.

Do it Mitch!
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby denimPortugal on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:16 am

Please, Do it, Mitch!!!! :man13: :man13: :jam2:
denimPortugal

Postby Calilaker on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:18 am

Nash wants to be in Hollywood!
Calilaker

Postby kobe_mamba on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:30 am

Doc Brown wrote:Kobe wouldn't dominate the rock on offense simply because Nash wouldn't give it to him as soon as he crossed halfcourt.

Kobe: "Give me the ball"

Nash: "When it's ready"

Kobe: "But I want to dribble a couple times before I shoot"

Nash: "WHEN IT'S READY"

Kobe: Image

.....Comes off screen, Nash passes him the ball, buckets.

I logged in (when i didn't want too mind you) JUST to quote this post....awesome!!!!! :jam2:
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
kobe_mamba

Re: Ball Dominant

Postby Murdock on Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:32 am

Finwë wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:Why was Kobe Bryant so ball dominant? He played with a one legged Ron Harper, a twilight Brian Shaw, Derek Fisher, Ty Lue, undersized Mike Penberthy, out of position Kareem Rush, Chucky Atkins, air balls Tierre Brown, summer league Smush Parker, rookie Jordan Farmar and Steve Blake.

No, no, no, no. It's his ego don't you know?

still it doesn't mean he can't pass the ball
Murdock

Postby eltoro on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:47 am

Kobe and Nash would destroy the Western Conference.
eltoro

Postby trodgers on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:54 am

The TPE that we have would allow us to take in a player starting at $9m. $9.6m in year two. $10.4m in year three. Three years, $29m is a bit far off the three years, $36M Toronto is said to be offering. So if Phoenix doesn't want cap relief, I guess Sessions and more is the best to offer.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Pig Miller on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:54 am

i'm on the nash bandwagon. i don't think it gets us over the top, but we're one step closer.

we'll need some shooters to help nash space the floor so he can have some driving lanes and create.
Pig Miller

Postby revgen on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:56 am

Nash will certainly help if we can resign Sessions. It will dramatically boost our overall depth.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:03 am

Getting Nash is a dream. He alone makes us a legit contender again, no doubt about it. A LIGHTS OUT shooter next to Kobe with Bynum down low? With Gasol still? Good lord.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:16 am

Do it Mitch????? Of course he would do it. But Phoenix won't. And I doubt that Nash would do that to the Suns fans -- he is so loyal.

Sure, the TPE plus two firsts (an LAL first down the road and Minny first from a Gasol trade) would be a lot to turn down by the Suns. And the money - 30 million -- is a lot for Nash (close enough to Raps offer). And Lakers offer the only real chance to get the money and a ring (Mavs, Knicks, and Raps don't). But joining the Lakers and Kobe is such a long shot. This is pipe to me.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby karacha on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:24 am

I would definitely like to see Nash in P&G. Not only is he a great PG with high BB IQ, who can make solid (but not truly special) big men look like superstars, but he is also in top shape, his stamina is still pretty amazing -- and on top of everything, he is one of the elite NBA shooters. Just look at this:

"Using spatial data mapping to track shooting, Goldsberry found that, in fact, Steve Nash is the game’s best shooter from the most places. To be more exact: Nash averages a point per shot (equal to 33 percent shooting on 3’s and 50 percent on 2’s) from more places than any other player. "

I say, do it, Mitch!
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:37 am

So anybody else think Kobe is calling Nash to make this happen? And if Nash is signed would it persuade Dwight to finally give in to sign long term? I would think so.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby karacha on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:48 am

Who knows... but most players would love to play with Nash, for sure.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Balance&Options24 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:54 am

Steve Nash - G - Suns The Knicks and Suns are said to be working on a sign-and-trade that would bring Nash to the Knicks, which appears to be his first choice of places to play.
This will be a very difficult deal to put together and is further complicated by the fact the Knicks don't want to include Iman Shumpert in the deal. Money talks and Toronto holds a lot of leverage on that front, but the Knicks appear to still be desperately trying to put together a deal that works for Nash. And if the Knicks can't get Nash, it looks like Jason Kidd is the next target on their list. Related: Knicks, Jason Kidd
Source: Alan Hahn on Twitter Jul 4 - 11:11 AM
Hope this isn't true.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby jjin28 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:59 am

Balance&Options24 wrote:
Steve Nash - G - Suns The Knicks and Suns are said to be working on a sign-and-trade that would bring Nash to the Knicks, which appears to be his first choice of places to play.
This will be a very difficult deal to put together and is further complicated by the fact the Knicks don't want to include Iman Shumpert in the deal. Money talks and Toronto holds a lot of leverage on that front, but the Knicks appear to still be desperately trying to put together a deal that works for Nash. And if the Knicks can't get Nash, it looks like Jason Kidd is the next target on their list. Related: Knicks, Jason Kidd
Hope this isn't true.

Knicks could offer a package of amare n chandler for dwight and turk n maybe sign n trade lin for nash. That could be what orlando gm referred to as the alternate significant player he was referincing to.

Nash, melo, dwight with ny spotlight would be tempting for d12
“you don’t even know me and you mad. How it feel to be a hater, now I know exactly how it feels to be a Laker." - JAY Z
jjin28

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:03 am

^ That's a horrible offer for Howard. A washed up Amare and overpaid Chandler is not gonna get it done.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby The Original 81 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:11 am

jjin28 wrote:
Balance&Options24 wrote:
Hope this isn't true.

Knicks could offer a package of amare n chandler for dwight and turk n maybe sign n trade lin for nash. That could be what orlando gm referred to as the alternate significant player he was referincing to.

Nash, melo, dwight with ny spotlight would be tempting for d12

There's not a chance Orlando accepts that trade. Id be shocked if they do. Really the only return that would make sense is Bynum and I'd be doing whatever I could to acquire him.

And Shumpert is great, but he's coming off a pretty serious knee injury. I guess there's less worry with Phoenix's staff there but I still would be concerned. Knicks should just resign Lin and Kidd as the backup.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion