Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Steve Nash Discussion: 10k assist club

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Nash: Lakers Not Committed To Vision Of Coaching Staff
Jan 25, 2013 4:44 PM EST

Steve Nash cited a lack of commitment by players in the system as one of the reasons for the Los Angeles Lakers’ struggles this season.

"We're not all committing to what they want us to do," Nash said. "We're half stuck in our own, old ways. We have to stop thinking about our pasts and ourselves.”

Nash has searched for ways to turn things around.

"I just go home at night and lie awake trying to figure it out," he said. "I keep asking myself, 'What am I not doing?'"

Asked if the Lakers can reverse course, Nash said: "That's yet to be seen, I guess. I think we have a chance. Maybe not this year. Maybe it's next year. But we have a ton of talent and an organization with great history. If Dwight stays [after this season], we have the pieces. We just have to figure out how to put it all together."

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225790/Nash_Lakers_Not_Committed_To_Vision_Of_Coaching_Staff

Man he should stop supporting D'Antoni's system ... but still nice to see that he really cares 100% about our organization.
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby karacha on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:15 pm

Well, now we know what the problem actually is. Kobe/Dwight/Pau are probably not big fans of the new coach. Not that the last one was any better, but... they all wanted Phil, and it shows. Maybe they don't want to change to the new system, or maybe they are not able to.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:17 pm

karacha wrote:Well, now we know what the problem actually is. Kobe/Dwight/Pau are probably not big fans of the new coach. Not that the last one was any better, but... they all wanted Phil, and it shows. Maybe they don't want to change to the new system, or maybe they are not able to.

They're all extremely talented guys, they could do it if they wanted to.

But he's partially right. The guys aren't in and it shows every time Kobe isolates or everything Pau and Dwight don't hustle defensively.

Honestly I think the right answer is letting go of D'Antoni, but hey if 3 of the big 4 aren't in then why would you want to keep trying that system?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Armani on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:29 pm

We used to laugh when dysfunctional franchises like the 'Cats or Wizards made dumb decisions. Now the joke's on us, thanks to the front office. Even the casual fans saw this hiring as a misfit.

Nash is trying to keep the team together, and it isn't happening. So is Kobe. Well, why would it happen? Everyone can see the obvious... D'Antoni might be an okay coach elsewhere, but with the Lakers? No, not happening.
Armani

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Had a thought.

Read that Jalen Rose article.

Does Nash win a ring if Antoni isn't coaching?

Assuming they had someone better?
Chillbongo

Postby JGC on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:43 pm

DJ-RaZ-Q#24 wrote:
Nash: Lakers Not Committed To Vision Of Coaching Staff
Jan 25, 2013 4:44 PM EST

Steve Nash cited a lack of commitment by players in the system as one of the reasons for the Los Angeles Lakers’ struggles this season.

"We're not all committing to what they want us to do," Nash said. "We're half stuck in our own, old ways. We have to stop thinking about our pasts and ourselves.”

Nash has searched for ways to turn things around.

"I just go home at night and lie awake trying to figure it out," he said. "I keep asking myself, 'What am I not doing?'"

Asked if the Lakers can reverse course, Nash said: "That's yet to be seen, I guess. I think we have a chance. Maybe not this year. Maybe it's next year. But we have a ton of talent and an organization with great history. If Dwight stays [after this season], we have the pieces. We just have to figure out how to put it all together."

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225790/Nash_Lakers_Not_Committed_To_Vision_Of_Coaching_Staff

Man he should stop supporting D'Antoni's system ... but still nice to see that he really cares 100% about our organization.

Yikes. That's an indirect jab at Kobe.

And Nash, what aren't you doing? You're not running the offense man. Granted, no one cuts or moves so there is no one to pass to outside of transition plays, but, we should feel your impact on the floor every time you're out there and we just dont enough.

Oh, and you defer to Kobe too much. He can run things when you're on the bench, but when you're on the court, everyone else is just a cog in a system.
JGC

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:53 pm

JGC wrote:Yikes. That's an indirect jab at Kobe.
And Nash, what aren't you doing? You're not running the offense man. Granted, no one cuts or moves
Oh, and you defer to Kobe too much.

My thoughts exactly. Jab at Kobe. Nash not being Nash. Teammates & MDA in a perpetual state of " :freak2: "

Nash is to blame as much. Go call Fisher and learn how to ignore Kobe's calls for the ball.
Last edited by Chillbongo on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chillbongo

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:53 pm

JGC wrote:Yikes. That's an indirect jab at Kobe.
And Nash, what aren't you doing? You're not running the offense man. Granted, no one cuts or moves
Oh, and you defer to Kobe too much.

My thoughts exactly. Jab at Kobe. Nash not being Nash. Teammates & MDA in a perpetual state of " :freak2: "

Nash is to blame as much. Go call Fisher and learn how to ignore Kobe's calls for the ball.

why do i always double post :disagree:
Chillbongo

Postby kblo247 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:45 pm

There's been no catering ,, Nash is playing off Kobe no the other way around. Hes being uber Fisher, Kerr, like Ive been calling for and attacking off the havoc Kobe makes and then making his strikes. He's not a primary offense runner but he's a damn good secondary off the domino effect from Kobe initiating the point of attack

Nash losing his first step to get separation makes him unable to start the O or handle pressure, but Kobe still has a first step, he can still get his without a pick and roll. This leads to less traps, less time to advance the ball, and better floor balance. Kobe beats the guy on him , and even if he doesn't the rest of the opposing team ball watches him ... Then boom [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.], swing, swing, swing ... Nash can catch it with a team D in flux and shoot or attack and make a play, same with the bigs flashing to the hoop.

Kobe's is by far the best initiator and Dantoni and Nash have to just swallow that pride and let him be, they have to be the ones that adapt and change their ways from the past decade, not the others because their way hasn't won, but Kobe running a O has as many rings as Magic

5-13 running the let Steve be Steve and you guys adapt vs 12-12 without Steve says he needs and needed to step off the ball and as primary playmaker, he's not that guy or that good now
kblo247

Postby kblo247 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:45 pm

I loved seeing Kobe lite into Nash that third quarter and Dantoni benching him. Nash broke the script that got us the lead when he tried to take back over on the ball, and he got benched. Ball went back in Kobe's hands and everyone ate, everyone was engaged, and they knew what Kobe was doing unlike Steve. Steve has to stay off the ball because he has killed is this year on it by being pressed, trapped, and forcing bailouts or not making timely reads from uncomfortableness with post players that aren't Amare or Gortat style gimmicks
kblo247

Postby Armani on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:49 pm

Kobe with his best Nash impersonation tonight.

Nash had some good looks off of Kobe, he shot have just shot some of them.
Armani

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:51 pm

role reversal.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby kblo247 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:39 am

I'm not disagreeing Nahs can be damn good. I'm saying

If you start Nash. He needs to be off the ball. He lacks synergy with both Dwight and Pau, Kobe feeds them better. Let Kobe get them going same. Then you have Nash play sniper. Then as the game progresses teams collapse and scramble to help on Kobe and you swing it out to Nash after he's established the shot. Guy runs at him he puts it on the deck and then he takes advantage of his playmaking.

Right now as it has stood this season not only his shot but his ball management have been subpar. He's has tons of trouble managing clock, pnr, and traps, and that has led to him being a large contributor to Kobe bail outs and run outs by other teams as bad long shots and floor spacing lead to long misses. We did not try to integrate the guy back in, we brought him back and tried to integrate everyone around him, unlike Pau for instance and that shows greatly in our record being well under 500 with him. Dantoni and Steve are to blame there because they went nostalgic.

Phil had the right idea, he was going to move him off any way for Kobe we all know it. Kobe was the main facilitator of 7 finals and 5 title teams of course Phil would trust him more to be Pippen and move Nash away from the ball in a secondary role. Jim saw it as did Jerry, and that messed with their Showtime ideology and the fact that they knew it would work and Phil would say see I told you so once again was too much.

It isn't a slight to move Nash off the ball either at his age. Kidd gave up a lot of the ball in the 3 guard sets Dallas ran to win a ring. Payton gave it up in Miami over fighting it so like he did here. Shaw and Harper gave it up for Phil to be in the triangle. It's just how things work and how the pieces fit, cause with or without Phil this is a post up, not smal ball not ssol team. Nahs and Dantoni had to have the flexibility and come to Jesus moment to get it but it is as their way hasn't. Sniffed a finals let alone won.

I truly believe Nash can be effective and offset his weaknesses by moving off the ball. He will still give up points, but him not killing flow with the pressure and traps getting the best of him, and both Pau and Dwight not getting how to be slip screen bigs will help. His shooting will be a great asset and his scoring prowess will balance the floor and help our d even because it leads to less runouts organizing the O thru Kobe. He can be a great reactor or right hook so to speak to Kobe's constant jabbing of the seams if a D and catch teams off balance but he just can't start the attack as it hurts the other guys on the team on both sides the ball putting us being the 8 ball.

Now if Nash isn't comfortable off the ball, you have to bring him off the bench where he can just be the Suns Nash. It's drastic, but the same philosophy applies for Pau with him. If you want him to be able to be himself take him off the starters and let him attack second units where his declining speed and athleticism isn't as glaring.

It's not a Nash is terrible all together thing, its a Nash and the way he was approaching the game and Dantoni was fixated on using him at the expense of this teams makeup is garbage kind of thing. He isn't an all star talent anymore so lets not act like he should be the one who has others adjust to him, he hasn't won before so we can't ask those who have gotten farther than him and all the main cogs including even Dwight have, it's disrespectful to their ego and its just not how to win in this league. You might not like it, in fact I know some hate me saying it because Nash is a good funny guy, but his basketball way has nothing to do with his character. [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] win in this league, even Magic was one and generally the main facilitator of title groups has that in them, and Kobe has that attitude to get on guys, be aggressive, not get flustered completely like Nash was getting, and instill fear which Nash's way has never produced. Fun doesn't win in this league, boots in [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] do, and even the nicest guys, Fisher for example have openly said you have to crack that whip and dictate. Dwight and Pau [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] and complained because they were asked to adjust to Nash, but they won't man up and say that to Kobe or back talk, and they know damn well a foot comes in that [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] if he goes out his way to facilitate in a way both bigs are more used to (Kobe fed Dwight like Hedo used to and Pau like only he and LO can) and they knew they better not sandbag it.

It's just a better strategy and attitude all together, there's accountability, their trust which Dantoni lacks by allowing Kobe to dictate the flow and micromanage possessions and which he will need come the playoffs, and it is a win now scenario for this group as the games matter. You can t wait for guys to simply get Nash. If they couldn't do it in 18 games and all began sniping it shows they just weren't feeling ssol or Nash ball, and its no surprise as they all said Phil and the triple post offense which fit them better the second they were asked. Themselves just the way the ball rolls, and I hope Nash and Dantoni accept it and make the most because it would say more about them to actually adjust their ways after a decade to actually win and maximize the group over the group maximizing them than anyone else.

Unlike many I also don't have a grand stat line in my head. Kobe doesn't need to average 10apg and neither does Nash. We need balance 7, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2 and the like across the board ... The hockey assist way of life as that's what wins in this league not a pg making every play ... That hasn't worked since magic and Isiah. Just do what it takes to win games, and that means Nash off the ball, Kobe initiating and picking his spots, Pau getting some post touches and Dwight being a flash guy with Metta, Meeks, Jamison, and Clark all doing their roles and being held accountable for their roles and minutes. Nash and Pringles get that, they can have my respect. They come out the next game trying to force their way and style, they won't, and I'm going to call em out on it because the ends don't justify the means when you look in the only column that matters wins and losses
kblo247

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:35 pm

Those shots were clutch. I'd be happy with this guy being the new SG, he's a better shooter than probably every other one in the league. :mhihi:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:37 pm

steve nash sighting today. i could feel his impact on the game.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Finwë on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Man that shot over Westbrook and then the one-legged runner from mid-range, :man4: :man13: :bow:

The guy is just so much fun to watch
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby borri on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Hate to belabor the point but....Nash = PERFECT guard for the TRI.

It's not like we didn't win any CHIPS with Fish as the PG. All he did was shoot open J's.
borri

Postby Armani on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:42 pm

Awesome game, and came through in the clutch. :jam2: :jam2:
Armani

Postby Armani on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:43 pm

borri wrote:Hate to belabor the point but....Nash = PERFECT guard for the TRI.

It's not like we didn't win any CHIPS with Fish as the PG. All he did was shoot open J's.

This. He would do everything Fisher did with MUCH more efficiency and has a much better passing game. So basically all that triangle won't fit Nash stuff was BS.
Armani

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:46 pm

borri wrote:Hate to belabor the point but....Nash = PERFECT guard for the TRI.

Being 39, it would also save his legs not having to do as much to create shots. The triangle also allows for fast breaks and great passers to still be great passers though, so it's not like it limits guys to one thing and is that rigid. Ugh, what could have been.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:51 pm

I don't know that anyone said he wouldn't fit, but that he wouldn't be used ideally.

He played very well and really came through late.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:52 pm

Not too often does a guy shoot that ball and I EXPECT it to go in everytime.
borri

Postby kblo247 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:02 pm

Past two games I have respect for this guy. H transitioned to off the ball SG like Kidd, Payton, Shaw, and Harper. :jam2:
kblo247

Postby XXIV on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:14 pm

borri wrote:Not too often does a guy shoot that ball and I EXPECT it to go in everytime.

I'm of the exact same thought. It's a great feeling knowing you have a shooter like that on your team.
XXIV

Postby kblo247 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:43 pm

^^^ I always had that feeling late with Fish or on the road.

Nash: "I could care less (about my assists), at this point in my career I'm going to do anything to win if that means scoring off of Kobe"

Takes a big man to get that he wasn't winning his way and make the change
kblo247

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion