Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Steve Nash Discussion: downright Nashty

Postby LakerBoyz24 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:42 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
Helljumper wrote:It seems like a lot of you had some unrealistic expectations if you're upset with Nash for not looking more for his own shot offensively. He averaged 12 ppg last year with Gortat as his second best player. Why would anyone expect him to be MORE aggressive offensively now?

He's doing fine.

There's a certain limit. He really blew the last play imo when he spent the entire clock trying to get Kobe the ball instead of either getting his own shot or finding a better one. Instead we got a 28 foot chuck from Kobe with 2 seconds on the shot clock. If we got something better on that play we may have had a chance to win the game. I just don't like seeing the same predictable offense being ran down the stretch when we have a guy like Nash on the team. Defeats the purpose of having him.

Yeah maybe there is a unspoken rule that in crunch time, the ball goes to Kobe. I mean, it does, and has continued to in the Post Prime Gasol/Kobe Era.
LakerBoyz24

Postby MC on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:08 am

JGC wrote:Yeah I'm not sure why Nash defers so much to Kobe at times.

well..... how's the player movement off ball within this system late in games?

It's too easy to trap Nash on the P&R and take away the first 2 options out of it if you have no player movement and spotty shooters.....

Not sure what the options are other than ISOs at that point and it's all because of the offensive philosophy in play.

This is where an offense like the Princeton would excel once it's learned.......... it's designed to get players the ball off of screen actions using player movement.

MDA ball does it here and there but mostly is just a couple guys standing around watching almost all the time..... way too easy to predict and stop if those guys standing around aren't sharp shooters.

I still think firing Brown was not a mistake but scrapping the Princeton altogether was a colossal one. If they would have stuck to it I think they would have been much better today than they are right now. Once they would have figured out the timing within it on what a good shot is floor balance wise they would have reduced the turnovers and transition hoops they were giving up while at the same time controlling the pace that is necessary for a vet team too succeed IMO...... instead the FO not only blinked, they panicked to the point of sh++ing the bed.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby Finwë on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:15 pm

^^ I agree for the most part. I don't want to jump into a princeton offense discussion though.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby JLaker17 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:17 pm

I wish he would shoot more, but he is doing what he has always done really.
JLaker17

Postby Finwë on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:00 pm

I'm as big a Nash fan as there is, but his D down the stretch needs to be called out. It was BEYOND BAD.
It absolutely broke our defense (which was already pretty bad) down. Lawson got like 9(3 layups and a 3pt shot) of the easiest points of his life. It looked so bad that one had to wonder if he was really a + out there, like trodgers pointed out.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:17 pm

So what do we do, trade Nash?

Our team defense isn't covering his weaknesses. Trade for better team defenders to cover it up?

What's the solution? We know the problems... :bang:
Chillbongo

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:22 pm

Nash, you should've gone to the Knicks bro. :man10:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby themasterphil on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:23 pm

I expected this kind of defense from him ....he is one of the worst defensive guards in this league and he is 90 years old ....so we need to accept that, one thing we cant make better .....he is saved by his offense nothing else, but also he had a few teriblle TO last night at the start of 2nd half....that give them a few easy points....that need to be sad
themasterphil

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:49 am

he better go crazy tomorrow and this week. doesnt really have to worry about post touches but doesnt have a pnr buddy. i just want him to attack attack attack and if the shot isnt there find the open guy. he'll have a smaller lineup with meeks kobe metta and jamison most likely at some point and that could be a lot of space for him to opperate and kick out if need be. guys better be ready and let it fly.

we have got to shoot and a high efficiency individually and as a team. and get back on d and communicate out there.

nash's leadership will really be tested and show this week aswell as kobe's. kobes not so much by doing but by LEADING his team in the right direction.
Ariza3

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:57 am

15 & 12 at least Nashty!

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Finwë on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:09 am

I would like to see Nash really try to score tomorrow night. We're missing our THREE top bigs, I wanna see if he can score, say, 30. We're probably gonna lose anyway, at least let's see if old Stevie still got it like he did in these days:

Finwë

Postby MC on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:52 am

Chillbongo wrote:So what do we do, trade Nash?

Our team defense isn't covering his weaknesses. Trade for better team defenders to cover it up?

Stop turning over the ball and designed long jumpers for a team that is not a stand still jump shooting team....

that would go a long way in reducing the transition points this team gives up......... not sure you can be old, average in half court D and turnover the ball at the pace the Lakers do either by piss poor shot selection design resulting in long rebounds or direct turnovers........

One of the advantages of a vet team is suppose to be in the taking care of the ball possession by possession and limiting turnovers......... this vet team bucks that trend in a big, big way......... under Brown's season this year it was expected due to learning a very new offense..... now it's a lot of the issue is the offense we went too.

This team needs to reduce these things for it's talent to overcompensate for the older slower thing..... not pump it up with MDA steroids........ nightmare.

Remember when you were a kid and the teachers, or may your parents, had you playing with object puzzles where you have to fit the ball in the circle..... square object in the square area........... well MDA would still be trying to figure that out jamming the ball in the square and the box in the circle....... most would than wonder if the kid is spatially challenged........ but in MDA somehow they have compared it to some sort of genius...... I guess he's rain man genius than because I have yet to figure that one out.....
MC

Postby LakerBoyz24 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:10 am

MC wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:So what do we do, trade Nash?

Stop turning over the ball and designed long jumpers for a team that is not a stand still jump shooting team....

that would go a long way in reducing the transition points this team gives up......... not sure you can be old, average in half court D and turnover the ball at the pace the Lakers do either by piss poor shot selection design resulting in long rebounds or direct turnovers........

One of the advantages of a vet team is suppose to be in the taking care of the ball possession by possession and limiting turnovers......... this vet team bucks that trend in a big, big way......... under Brown's season this year it was expected due to learning a very new offense..... now it's a lot of the issue is the offense we went too.

This team needs to reduce these things for it's talent to overcompensate for the older slower thing..... not pump it up with MDA steroids........ nightmare.

Remember when you were a kid and the teachers, or may your parents, had you playing with object puzzles where you have to fit the ball in the circle..... square object in the square area........... well MDA would still be trying to figure that out jamming the ball in the square and the box in the circle....... most would than wonder if the kid is spatially challenged........ but in MDA somehow they have compared it to some sort of genius...... I guess he's rain man genius than because I have yet to figure that one out.....

It's the roster's fault more than MDA's fault at this point tbh. The roster is clearly full of flaws and doesn't work. They build a top heavy team filled with big name stars that looks good on paper without thinking about how it well it might work out in real life. MDA is just the man who is forced to make the roster work, basically forced to try jamming the square into the circle part of the puzzle and make it somehow fit well enough to at least make a good enough puzzle, because there is no other choice.

The roster is hard to make major changes to at this point, and we're well out of options. There's no other choice for MDA or the organization. There is no coach who would want to take this nightmare of a coaching job with this roster atm, mostly because of the high expectations of this roster and the high failure chance of it; I'm sure MDA would reconsider if he knew exactly what he was getting into.
LakerBoyz24

Postby MC on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:13 am

lakerboyz - they assembled a roster to be run one way than did a 180 degree U-turn after getting older and finding pieces to fit and try and succeed a certain way.....

the problem is FO pi-polar moves....... that is way deeper than MDA or not MDA

The koo-koo has gone left the clock......
MC

Postby LakerBoyz24 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:31 am

MC wrote:lakerboyz - they assembled a roster to be run one way than did a 180 degree U-turn after getting older and finding pieces to fit and try and succeed a certain way.....

I agree. I'm just saying it's not the coach's fault at this point, but mostly the FO's fault in constructing the roster(and hiring the coach for the roster).
LakerBoyz24

Postby MC on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:41 am

LakerBoyz24 wrote:
MC wrote:lakerboyz - they assembled a roster to be run one way than did a 180 degree U-turn after getting older and finding pieces to fit and try and succeed a certain way.....

I agree. I'm just saying it's not the coach's fault at this point, but mostly the FO's fault in constructing the roster(and hiring the coach for the roster).

oh ya..... but once a coach is here it is his responsibility to try and use the roster towards it's design... that is not going on..... and I think he's getting a free pass considering how the move transpired and what we were fed.

and he's getting a free pass on what it is to be a coach in the first place.
MC

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:30 am

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Nash, you should've gone to the Knicks bro. :man10:

dam you're such a fickle fan...should've kept it local and stayed a Mavs Fan bro!
khmrP

Postby 432J on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:00 am

khmrP wrote:

dam you're such a fickle fan...should've kept it local and stayed a Mavs Fan bro!

:man10:
432J

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:05 am

LakerBoyz24 wrote:

This. It's not MDA's "fault" but he was clearly the wrong choice for this team. Even more so, his offensive strategy is KILLING this team.... long jumpers, uptempo, lack of cohesion to get easy buckets...all this plays into our terrible defense, which is below average to begin with.

But we can win games if we fix our D and get better on offense....something I'm not so sure MDA can "figure out".
Chillbongo

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:08 pm

khmrP wrote:

I ain't even from Dallas bro. :man10:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
khmrP wrote:

then keep it in Texas!
khmrP

Postby Kit on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:36 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
khmrP wrote:

Shame on you, bandwagoner...
Kit

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:28 pm

Spoiler:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Scnottaken on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:36 pm

therealdeal wrote: