Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby karacha on Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:34 pm

Actually, with the game on the line, I'd want Nash shooting FTs.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby thkthebest on Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:59 pm

I really wouldn't care too much who shoots. If the game is on the line, I have a very hard time seeing either one miss.

Btw, Nash can end his career with the best FT% of all-time. Mark Price is at 90.39%. Nash is at 90.35%. He's only a mere 0.04% away.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Nash will be shooting techs, it's no question. Kobe would only shoot them when Fish was not on the court.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:22 pm

^ Same with Sasha. Sasha shot techs too.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:24 pm

In a Laker blowout...I say let Howard shoot the T. Just like Jackson had O'Neal do it once for s**ts and giggles. Yeah, I'm bored to hell waiting for the first pre-season game.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:21 pm

I might be wrong but I seem to recall Kobe shooting techs regardless of who was on the floor. Fish and Sasha did shoot techs, but only when Kobe was on the bench. I remember one game where Sasha tried to shoot the tech free throws and Kobe actually made him move :man10:
nthydro

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:10 pm

nthydro wrote:I might be wrong but I seem to recall Kobe shooting techs regardless of who was on the floor. Fish and Sasha did shoot techs, but only when Kobe was on the bench. I remember one game where Sasha tried to shoot the tech free throws and Kobe actually made him move :man10:

I don't recall that. Any idea when it was?

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Go to Lakers.com to view the actual Steve Nash post practice interview video
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby gcclaker on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:47 pm

nthydro wrote:I might be wrong but I seem to recall Kobe shooting techs regardless of who was on the floor. Fish and Sasha did shoot techs, but only when Kobe was on the bench. I remember one game where Sasha tried to shoot the tech free throws and Kobe actually made him move :man10:

Bryant pulled the same act on Chris Paul in the Olympics if I recall correctly...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:01 pm

i think it depends on who needs to see the ball go through the net. if kobes off and needs a little kick start id want him to shoot it (game not on the line) so he can get going. otherwise nash just makes sense numbers wise.
Ariza3

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:11 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:Go to Lakers.com to view the actual Steve Nash post practice interview video

Check out Kobe's post-practice interview and Kobe actually talks about Nash's straight 3 free throws to end practice. Coach Brown asked for 3 players to make free throws at the end of practice so the team wouldn't have to run....Kobe volunteered Nash 3 times. He said he would want a 92% shooter at the line if the choice was up to him.

So there you have it...Nash will probably take those technical FTs during the season and the postseason (as he should...92%!)
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:35 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:Go to Lakers.com to view the actual Steve Nash post practice interview video

Check out Kobe's post-practice interview and Kobe actually talks about Nash's straight 3 free throws to end practice. Coach Brown asked for 3 players to make free throws at the end of practice so the team wouldn't have to run....Kobe volunteered Nash 3 times. He said he would want a 92% shooter at the line if the choice was up to him.

So there you have it...Nash will probably take those technical FTs during the season and the postseason (as he should...92%!)

I was always curious as to who would be shooting the FTs, but I'm glad to hear Kobe is in favor of Nash.
XXIV

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:26 pm

Of course Nash's shooting them.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby LakerFANwithaBRAIN on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:56 am

OH FREAKING GOD....WELCOME to LA...STEVE NASH!!!

I have been praying for a TRUE point guard since I don't recall!!!

Let's get it ON...STEVIE!!!
LakerFANwithaBRAIN

Postby karacha on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:57 am

Vasashi17 wrote:So there you have it...Nash will probably take those technical FTs during the season and the postseason (as he should...92%!)

Of course. We're talking about one of the best shooters in the history of the game. He might be able to break the FT% record before he retires.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby v1n5anity on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:18 am

karacha wrote:Actually, with the game on the line, I'd want Nash shooting FTs.

Yeah. Why would anyone want a worse free throw shooter (Kobe) taking crucial free throws, or any other free throws? Makes no sense. As of today, Nash is tied with Mark Price as the greatest free throw shooter of all time. Not a chance I want Kobe taking free throws instead of Nash.

nthydro wrote:With the game on the line, who would you rather have shoot the free throws. For me, not even close, gotta be KB 24.

Why? Play the numbers here. If you think Kobe in the clutch will miraculously start shooting better than the best free throw shooter of all time, you're dead wrong. And btw, Nash is clutch as hell too.
v1n5anity

Postby KB24 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:47 am

Instead of fighting eachother enjoy that we have 2 options.

Keep Howard (horrible FT shooter) away from the line and Gasol (chokes regularly at clutch FTs)

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby nthydro on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:08 am

V1n5anity wrote:
karacha wrote:Actually, with the game on the line, I'd want Nash shooting FTs.

Yeah. Why would anyone want a worse free throw shooter (Kobe) taking crucial free throws, or any other free throws? Makes no sense. As of today, Nash is tied with Mark Price as the greatest free throw shooter of all time. Not a chance I want Kobe taking free throws instead of Nash.

nthydro wrote:With the game on the line, who would you rather have shoot the free throws. For me, not even close, gotta be KB 24.

Why? Play the numbers here. If you think Kobe in the clutch will miraculously start shooting better than the best free throw shooter of all time, you're dead wrong. And btw, Nash is clutch as hell too.

End of game situation is different. Why? Pressure. Doesn't matter if you have a great shooting percentage if you can't handle the pressure. Tell me you never seen good free throw shooters choke at line when it's crunch time? Happens all the time. But I'm just speaking in general. In the case of Nash vs Kobe, I'd take Kobe simply because I trust him more. That's because I've seen him do it so many times. But I know Nash is also clutch, that's why it's even a debate. And why do you act like Kobe is a poor free throw shooter or something? He's a great one in his own right.

If we're down by 3 at the end of a game, and you had a choice between Kobe shooting an open 3 (his 3 pt % is horrible) or someone with a better 3pt shooting %, say Steve Blake, who you gonna pick? My point is you can't always say the higher percentages is always better.
nthydro

Postby v1n5anity on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:39 am

nthydro wrote:End of game situation is different. Why? Pressure. Doesn't matter if you have a great shooting percentage if you can't handle the pressure.

Nash can handle pressure. He's one of the clutchest players in the league and has been for several years. I'm not basing my opinion on the sole fact that Nash is a better FT shooter percentage wise, I've seen him operate in the clutch and he doesn't get fazed by any situation (like Kobe). That's what makes him unquestionably the better option.

Tell me you never seen good free throw shooters choke at line when it's crunch time? Happens all the time.

Yes, I have. However, Nash is not one of those players.

But I'm just speaking in general.

Which is irrelevant.

In the case of Nash vs Kobe, I'd take Kobe simply because I trust him more.

That's great that you trust him more, but that doesn't mean Kobe is a better crunch time free throw shooting option. It just shows that you're being bias. In fact, the numbers show Nash is significantly a better crunch time free throw shooter than Nash (see below).

That's because I've seen him do it so many times.

That's because you've watched way more Laker games than Suns games (or Mavs games).

But I know Nash is also clutch, that's why it's even a debate.

Oh, it's a debate now? I thought no question Kobe was the better option?

And why do you act like Kobe is a poor free throw shooter or something? He's a great one in his own right.

Oh no, do not get me wrong here. Kobe is a GREAT free throw shooter. He's just not on the level of Steve Nash.

If we're down by 3 at the end of a game, and you had a choice between Kobe shooting an open 3 (his 3 pt % is horrible) or someone with a better 3pt shooting %, say Steve Blake, who you gonna pick? My point is you can't always say the higher percentages is always better.

Well if it's between Kobe vs. Blake, I'd probably take Kobe. However, if it was Kobe vs. Nash, I'd take Nash, no question. I'm not sure why you are bringing up Steve Blake though. It's not just about percentages (although they obviously matter), it's that Nash has shown time and time again in his career that he can produce in the clutch. Pressure does not faze him.

Here are some stats to PROVE that Nash is a better option in the clutch:

Kobe shot just 80% on free throws in crunch time this past season (according to 82games.com). Crunch time being defined as "4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points". Nash shot 100%. Using crunch time production over 48 minutes, Kobe averaged 15.2 FTA and Nash averaged 12.6...so it's not like Nash wasn't shooting them.

In the 10/11 season, Kobe shot 87% (16.8 FTA) in crunch time, Nash shot 94% (13.5 FTA)

In the 09/10 season, Kobe shot 82% (18.9 FTA), Nash shot 89% (16.4 FTA).

In the 08/09 season, Kobe shot 92% (18.2 FTA), Nash shot 95% (9.0 FTA)

No question I want Nash shooting crunch time free throws over Kobe.
v1n5anity

Postby karacha on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:17 am

It's like... Nash almost does not miss them in crunch time. He shot 95% in 09? Wow.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby v1n5anity on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:50 am

karacha wrote:It's like... Nash almost does not miss them in crunch time. He shot 95% in 09? Wow.

And he was 100% last season. Unreal. The guy is as automatic as they come.
v1n5anity

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:19 am

:man10: at having such an adamant argument over something so awesome.

I wouldn't mind if either of those two took the shots. I have 100% faith in both of them.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby c.Lin on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:29 am

I don't think I've ever seen Nash miss a clutch FT. Kobe rarely misses in those situations, but he has sometimes. Granted, I've seen much more of Kobe than I have of Nash.
c.Lin

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:00 am

#Lakeshow on TWC last night posed a question:

Down 1, who would you go to in taking the game winning shot? All, but one person chose Kobe...the lone standout chose Nash.

The whole time I'm thinking, will such an opportunity ever present itself over the course of the season? If we're ever down 1 that late in the game, something's wrong. :man12:

But like many have said, its a great problem to have: 2 clutch players in Kobe and Nash. Alot of teams don't even have one clutch player on the roster.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:03 am

easy fix. nash and kobe pick and roll or kobe and nash pick and roll. ball handler gets their shot or gets the ball to the other guy

kobe gave fish plenty of looks, nash will have just as much if not more trust from kobe
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand