Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:44 pm

I think acquiring both Dwight Howard & Steve Nash in the same off-season is unfair to other NBA teams :man10: :man10:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby noobiew on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:20 am

Nash has looked great for us so far, it's so nice having a real point guard that could setup to get teammates easy looks in a team.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby 24K GOLD on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:50 am

Nash, Pau and Kobe can all speak Spanish...lol they are so going to confuse a lot of opponents
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby bystander on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:12 am

Steve Nash is a Laker. I have to repeat that to myself from time to time.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby kobe_mamba on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:54 am

bystander wrote:Steve Nash is a Laker. I have to repeat that to myself from time to time.

This. Me too. Almost more than when I have to repeat myself about D12 being a Laker. :jam2:
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
kobe_mamba

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:49 am

Nothing new regarding the 1st tweet , 2nd one is interesting

Tom Haberstroh@tomhaberstrohabout 13 minutes ago
Steve Nash was the top-ranked distributor in the pick-&-roll last season, per Synergy. Best finisher in the P&R? Dwight Howard. /shudders

Tom Haberstroh@tomhaberstroh about 8 minutes ago
Fascinating: Synergy says 53 bigs had 75+ pick-and-roll finishes last season. Ranks in efficiency: Dwight 1st. ... Pau 52nd, Jamison 53rd.
wcsoldier81

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:20 pm

The Steve Nash effect
Though a prolific scorer, the Lakers guard also makes his teammates much better
Originally Published: October 11, 2012
By Tom Haberstroh | ESPN Insider
EMAIL
PRINT

Cary Edmondson/US Presswire
The numbers prove Steve Nash's best ability is making his teammates better.
When Steve Nash stepped off the floor in Sunday's preseason opener against the Golden State Warriors, the Los Angeles Lakers were looking pretty good. Even without Dwight Howard, the Lakers held a 56-49 lead going into halftime. That was it for Nash, who watched the second half from the bench.

And that's when the wheels came off.

After halftime, the Warriors outscored the Lakers 61-27 the rest of the way, including an unthinkable 35-0 run over a nearly 12-minute span. Yes, shortly after Nash left the court, the Lakers were held scoreless for the equivalent of an entire NBA quarter of basketball.

Phoenix Suns fans know this feeling all too well. This is just what happens with Nash. The wheels always seem to come off when he exits the game.

It's something the Lakers might have to get used to this season: When Nash plays, everyone seems to play like All-Stars. When Nash sits (or rather, stretches on the ground), everyone seems to forget how to play basketball.

Call it the Nash Disequilibrium. Even at the age of 37 last season, Nash continued to make his teammates immensely better while on the floor. Armed with a deadly shot and piercing vision, Nash has befuddled defenses for more than a decade now. But if we take a look at his most recent campaign in 2011-12, Nash has shown no signs of slowing down.

Last season, Nash showed why he can still be a transformative player even without having to shoot the ball every trip down the floor. In this way, he could not have auditioned better for this star-studded Lakers roster. His points per game dipped from 14.7 points to 12.5 points, but that can be attributed to a shaving of his playing time and usage rating during the lockout season. But overall, defenses still couldn't stop him from working his magic.

Stephen Dunn/Getty Images
When Nash isn't on the court, his teammates' numbers seem to suffer.
With nary another All-Star on the roster, Nash shot 53 percent from the floor as a 37-year-old point guard. Think about that. We might witness that kind of percentage from a lumbering 7-footer at that age, but not from players who are 180 pounds soaking wet with more than 40,000 minutes on their NBA odometer. Nash was virtually automatic from every spot on the floor, nailing 39 percent from downtown and 89 percent from the free throw line. His true shooting percentage (TS%), a metric that groups field goals, 3-point shots and free throws together, stood at 62.5 last season. When is the last time we saw a guard his age top a 62.5 true shooting percentage?

How 'bout never. John Stockton bested that rate in 1997-98, but he was 35 years young.

With Nash, you have to pick your poison. Guard him up tight and take away his shot, or give him space and prevent penetration. He can carve you up as well as shoot you down. Because he can kill a defense in multiple ways and draw so much attention, he has lifted his teammates to new heights. Just ask any Suns player. Channing Frye shot a dismal 34.9 percent without Nash on the court last season, but 42.7 percent with him on the floor. Jared Dudley? 49.9 percent with Nash, 41.3 percent without. Marcin Gortat? 56.8 percent with Nash, 47 percent without. Michael Redd? 48.3 percent with Nash, 40.5 percent without.

Almost across the board, we saw Nash's passing and shooting abilities raise the level of teammate play. And we saw this not just looking at the individuals but the team as well. Overall, when the Suns toiled around the court without the calming hand of Nash, Phoenix shot a paltry 41.6 percent from the floor, which is right on par with the Charlotte Bobcats' 41.4 percent rate last season.

When Nash joined them, the same teammates' field goal percentage soared to 47.4 percent, which is right on par with the league-leading rate of the San Antonio Spurs' 47.8 percent. Yes, Nash's mere presence essentially catapulted the Suns from just about the worst shooting team in the league to just about the best shooting team in the league.

We can see the Nash effect on the scoreboard too, not just in field goal percentages. According to NBA.com's stats tool, The Nash-ful Suns scored 106.5 points per 100 possessions last season, but that figure plummeted to just 98.5 when he stepped off the court. That's an eight-point slide, one of the biggest differentials in the league last season on that end of the court. When you consider the defensive side of the ball, the Suns were 10.9 points better per 100 possessions with Nash on the floor.

If you want to see what propels Nash's success, watch him in the pick-and-roll or just look at his pick-and-roll credentials. According to Synergy Sports, Nash ranked among the best players in the league when he looked for his shot in the pick-and-roll, but also the very best in the league when he dished off the ball in such plays. When Nash dumped the ball off to his screener, the big man shot 60 percent from the floor, the highest rate in the league.

Noah Graham/NBAE via Getty Images
Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard should both benefit from Nash's presence.
And much to the league's dismay, Nash has joined forces with a center whose skills are equally tailor-made for the pick-and-roll.

If someone in your vicinity whines Howard isn't a good offensive player, calmly walk away and get on with the rest of your day. Or just offer them this: Howard is the best big man scorer in the NBA's go-to play. Again, we'll consult Synergy's video tracking and discover that Howard scored an average of 1.384 points as the roll man in pick-and-roll situations -- the best in the game among the 53 players with at least 75 such possessions. He shot a mind-bending 73.6 percent on those opportunities. In 2010-11, he shot an astounding 83.8 percent, also tops in efficiency. In 2009-10, 85.1 percent on pick-and-roll shots, No. 1 in efficiency.

Even if we account for the fact that Howard can't make a free throw even if a dump truck full of Skittles depended on it, Howard is other-worldly when it comes to finishing the pick-and-roll. A lob in his direction almost always ends up in two points, thanks to his absurd hops and body control. No one measures up to him on pick-and-rolls. And that was before linking up with the best pick-and-roll distributor in the league.

Of course, there are other factors that have helped Nash and Howard operate so seamlessly over the years. The Magic have surrounded Howard with 3-point shooters during his entire career in order to decongest the paint. And the same goes for Nash in Phoenix and Dallas. Will the Lakers be able to follow suit?

That's the big question. Statistically speaking, Bryant hasn't been an above-average 3-point shooter since 2008-09, and his 30.3 percent rate last season was his lowest in a decade. In order to find the last time Metta World Peace shot as poorly from beyond the arc as last season (29.6 percent), you'd have to go back to his Chicago Bulls days. Pau Gasol? He has never made more than seven 3-pointers in an NBA season.

Even though Bryant, World Peace and Gasol aren't ideal supporting cast members for a nasty pick-and-roll, Nash might be so good at maximizing his surrounding talent that it does not matter. It certainly didn't on Sunday. With his plus-15, Nash led the Lakers in plus-minus in Sunday's game, which they lost by 27 points.

Get used to it.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:41 pm

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:58 pm

This is more of a Suns article than it is a Nash one, still pertains to him and has some quotes from and about him...so figured I'd drop it in here...

Marc J Spears of Yahoo wrote: Phoenix Suns fans recently eating at a local Mexican restaurant found it curious when they saw their beloved former point guard Steve Nash dining with his replacement Goran Dragic. Several of those fans let Nash know what they felt about him leaving to join the rival Los Angeles Lakers.

Some fans "were saying, 'Steve come back, Steve come back,' " Dragic said. "Other fans were saying, 'Steve we got a new point guard now and we are going to beat your [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.].' "

Nash became a two-time MVP and made the Suns one of the NBA's most entertaining teams during his time in Phoenix. But he never delivered a championship, and with the Suns having missed the playoffs in three of the past four seasons, the 38-year-old Nash figured it was time to look elsewhere as his career wound down.

"We won a lot of games. It was an exciting time in basketball for a lot of it," Nash said. "I look back on it with a lot of pride. It seems to be the way it happens in sports is no one parts amicably anymore."

Nash, who lives in New York during the offseason, could have signed with the Knicks. The Canada native also debated whether to join the Toronto Raptors. Instead, he took an opportunity to play with Kobe Bryant and the Lakers, agreeing to a three-year, $27 million contract in a sign-and-trade deal that gave the Suns four draft picks, including first-rounders in 2013 and 2015.

Suns president Lon Babby wasn't thrilled about trading Nash to the Lakers, calling it a "basketball decision" that was better than losing Nash for nothing. Phoenix will now have significant salary-cap space next summer, giving them the ability to sign one or two major free agents.

"My first reaction was I can't do that," Babby said. "As time went on, [Suns owner] Robert Sarver was really good and said, 'We have to make a basketball decision that's best for our franchise.' "

Said Nash: "They were very kind to allow this trade to go through. I will always be thankful for that."

Dragic will need time to get used to seeing Nash in a Lakers uniform, especially considering how much Nash used to detest the Lakers.

"I was shocked," Dragic said. "Every time we played against the Lakers he was like, 'Let's beat 'em. I don't like the Lakers.' Now, he's over there."

The Suns attempted to sign restricted free-agent guard Eric Gordon, but their offer was matched by the New Orleans Hornets. They instead remade their roster by acquiring Dragic, forward Luis Scola, forward Michael Beasley, center Jermaine O'Neal and forward Wesley Johnson and by drafting North Carolina point guard Kendall Marshall.

Suns coach Alvin Gentry thinks his team has the talent to be better than expected this upcoming season. Nash agrees.

"They can be a surprise team this year," Nash said. "They brought in a lot of guys who can play. They brought in some young guys and put themselves in a position to build. I think they did a great job."

Dragic might be the biggest key to the Suns' success as he takes over as the starting point guard. The Suns traded Dragic to the Houston Rockets for point guard Aaron Brooks and a first-round pick on Feb. 24, 2011. After Dragic had a breakthrough season with the Rockets, he became expendable when Houston signed Jeremy Lin. Dragic returned to Suns on a four-year, $30 million contract. Gentry has told Dragic the Suns are "your team."

Dragic "has a lot more confidence now than when he left here," Gentry said. "He feels like he belongs. He feels like a real solid player. We're happy to have him. I told him, 'We are not replacing Steve. We are starting Goran Dragic as our point guard.' "

Dragic is looking forward to the challenge of finally proving himself as an every-day starter.

"When I was a kid, I dreamed about the moment of when I'd be a starter in the NBA," Dragic said. "Everyone wants to be a starter in the NBA. …It's going to be a real challenge for me, but I'm not scared."

Nash served as a mentor to Dragic during his first 2½ seasons with the Suns. At their recent dinner, he left the Suns' new point guard with some advice.

"The only thing he told me is to just be yourself and everything will be fine," Dragic said.
JSM

Postby yossarian33 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:54 am

I think you guys may have the perfect storm here. Pure scorer in Kobe, center that rebounds, is a defensive powerhouse, and dunks like the dickens in Dwight Howard, who in my albeit limited opinion is arguably one if not the best center in the league; and Nash who looks to pass and can seemingly put a ball in a guy's hands from nearly anywhere. As a former player it is so fun to watch Nash play b/c its like put your hand up and the ball magically appears in them all of a sudden. It's a thing of beauty to watch. You just know good things are going to happen when the ball is in his hands. That older Suns team almost did it, if they had gotten past the Spurs, who knows. The Amare one game suspension was huge, not to mention Raja Bell i think also had the 1 game suspension.

Anyways, thanks for all the articles and highlights you guys take the time to put up, its really the only way i can get a glimpse of some pre season highlights and see how the new look Lakers... look. Looking good so far, as least the first unit. Not so sure about your bench at the moment tbh, judging by the final score that is. Hopefully they can get it done, or at least not be a huge liability.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that playing with such high caliber players is going to take some of the pressure off of Nash as well. He won't have to carry the entire load out there offensively speaking, depended on for everything the whole time. Sure, he'll be running the show at pg, but he'll be playing with proven vets who've been there already and know how to win. I'm talking mainly about Kobe, but also Pau and some others. Can't wait to see how Dwight does out there. How would opponents ever stop a Nash - Howard pick and roll? It doesn't seem plausible. Meta World Peace looked good in that one game as well.

Should be fun. Looking forward to the regular season starting.

Peace. ~
yossarian33

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:11 am

Something that I've seen from Nash in the games is that while he's not an excellent man-to-man defender, he works hard on that end of the floor. Maybe it's because I was expecting Ramon Sessions or something, but he looks pretty good on that end all things considered.

He'll never lock a guy down, but that doesn't mean he just gives up defensively. Watching Orlando games guys like Nelson will frequently just give up because they've got a safety net. Our guys won't be doing that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:19 am

Kurt Helin of NBC Sports wrote:More than one person has said Steve Nash is a magician with the basketball.

Metta World Peace is playing with him right now, and the guy that never really grasped the triangle offense is amazed by what Nash does with the offense. To the point of confusion. He jokes he doesn’t get back on defense because he didn’t know how they scored.

Which led to this brilliant quote, via the Los Angeles Times.

“Nash should do a Vegas magic show,” the Lakers forward said. “They should put his picture on the Flamingo hotel with a picture of him posing spinning the ball with his tongue out. There could be a bunch of strippers around him naked covering themselves with a hat.”

I’d pay to see that show.

:man10:
JSM

Postby Juronimo on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:21 am

therealdeal wrote:Something that I've seen from Nash in the games is that while he's not an excellent man-to-man defender, he works hard on that end of the floor. Maybe it's because I was expecting Ramon Sessions or something, but he looks pretty good on that end all things considered.

He'll never lock a guy down, but that doesn't mean he just gives up defensively. Watching Orlando games guys like Nelson will frequently just give up because they've got a safety net. Our guys won't be doing that.

I noticed that too, Nash does give effort defensively. It stands out considering Ramon Session's Smush Parker level of D last season.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:40 am

Juronimo wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Something that I've seen from Nash in the games is that while he's not an excellent man-to-man defender, he works hard on that end of the floor. Maybe it's because I was expecting Ramon Sessions or something, but he looks pretty good on that end all things considered.

I noticed that too, Nash does give effort defensively. It stands out considering Ramon Session's Smush Parker level of D last season.

Yeah it does. I mean I hated Derek's defense because he sucked not because he didn't try. And the defensive schemes almost never fit his (lack of) ability. Nash's defense is in the same vein. He isn't good, but his limitations are mostly covered by the scheme we are running (especially when Dwight returns).

Sessions a lot of times was just so soft defensively... He wouldn't hit screens, he wouldn't body up. Nash isn't good at doing those things, but he tries.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:32 pm

lakerswiz wrote:Are those Steve's signature shoe? Can we buy those in stores?

Yes they are is signature shoes and I'm fairly certain you can buy them in stores.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby jimbo327 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:01 pm

Seriously, Nash makes PG look easy again. And did Pau really miss that dunk??? I'm still watching only highlights from other poster's youtube videos. Will get back to the state side next week, and happy to watch Lakers on my own TV.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby dj vitus on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:29 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Juronimo wrote:

Yeah it does. I mean I hated Derek's defense because he sucked not because he didn't try. And the defensive schemes almost never fit his (lack of) ability. Nash's defense is in the same vein. He isn't good, but his limitations are mostly covered by the scheme we are running (especially when Dwight returns).

Sessions a lot of times was just so soft defensively... He wouldn't hit screens, he wouldn't body up. Nash isn't good at doing those things, but he tries.

God, that was embarrassing when Tony Parker scored like 7 baskets in a row over Sessions that one game.

I didn't think anyone could be worse than Chucky Atkins, but dang, I know he can do better. :freak2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:13 pm

Yep ... Nash is always moving on D ... I notice he always denies the penetration in the middle of the paint ... any PG who can shoot from distance will get his points with ease as Nash gives his opponent a lot of space though
wcsoldier81

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:43 pm

I have to imagine that he's working hard on D to impress his new teammates (I dont mean this in a bad way).

Although I didnt want them much the past two years, Nash's role on defense with the Suns half the time was to basically stand in the corner near the most useless offensive player. Part of his bad rep on defense was because it was literally non-existent half the time.

Its great that he's out there trying with our guys now, but this certainly wasn't always the case in PHX.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:29 pm

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing

Brown called Kobe "spectacular at times defensively" tonight. Also praised Nash on D: "I like the way he's been defending."
JSM

Postby OX1947 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:54 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:i wish kwame were still on the team

Nice joke. I had a good laugh on that one. Watching Kwame Brown play basketball was the equivalent of punching yourself in the face repeatedly without any regard to the pain and damage you're doing.

The very thought of him makes me want to punch myself in the face again.
OX1947

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:56 pm

OX1947 wrote:

Nice joke. I had a good laugh on that one. Watching Kwame Brown play basketball was the equivalent of punching yourself in the face repeatedly without any regard to the pain and damage you're doing.

which is interesting because Kwame was by far the best man defender the Lakers had, period. Kwame had brick hands which could not be overlooked but his scoring should not have been the issue it was for this team. Do you know he was one of very few players that would D Shaq up one on one? Blind hate doesn't make it right... it just makes it hate.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby OX1947 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:14 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

which is interesting because Kwame was by far the best man defender the Lakers had, period. Kwame had brick hands which could not be overlooked but his scoring should not have been the issue it was for this team. Do you know he was one of very few players that would D Shaq up one on one? Blind hate doesn't make it right... it just makes it hate.

OX1947

Postby OX1947 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:26 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

There is no blind hate. I hate that (bleep). Here, watch this:

I paid 3 bills to watch this game and walked about before the game was over. Only time I have ever done that in a Laker game, win or lose. Kwame Brown suck giant monkey crap. He didn't care, he didn't want to play and he was a lazy (bleep). Worse basketball player every to wear a Laker uniform. The epitome of a gifted human being who flushed his talent down the toilet because of that laziness. Hung on because he is a stiff who can stand and hold his weight against another big (bleep) next to him. That's it.
OX1947

Postby hypotenuse on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:41 pm

how was nash looked so far in LA?

cant believe this was on page 2..

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion