Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Steve Nash Discussion (Playing tonight! 12/22 p105)

Postby 432J on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:36 am

brandonr2001 wrote:lil interesting fact....last nights game was steve nash's first win as a laker...

completely forgot about that

great, must need win
432J

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:51 am

Nash rules. So great to see him in action last night. Everything is so much easier with him on the team.
Lakerjones

Postby Juronimo on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:03 pm

Loved seeing Nash out there. It looked like a completely different team with him on the court.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby hdtvset on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:12 pm

When was the last time you seen Kobe was this open in such of tight game or any game? Check out the 2:27 in the overtime. It happened again later in the overtime but Kobe missed the shot. Nash and Howard got so much attention that the Warriors forgot about Kobe. :jam2:
hdtvset

Postby pound4pound1 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:32 pm

i love Steve Nash...i can again see this team getting on a monster roll
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby JLaker17 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Seriously, and this is not a knock on Kobe either, but Steve Nash is the only guy who can "fix" this team and take it to the next level. Nash will get everyone involved, which will create better ball movement and effort.
JLaker17

Postby Punk-101 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Nash still had 9 assists on a night where:
1. Kobe had 41 fgas a lot of which were ISOs.
2. Gasol played soft and was hacked with a lot of no-calls.
3. Howard was completely taken out of the game by the refs and not given any calls on the offensive end.
4. Jamison didn't play. I think he'll benefit a lot from Nash.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:34 pm

loved what nash was doing by getting them into their sets. he may not have gotten the assist but he was the reason they scored and organized everything.

dantoni set up a great play multiple times to get mwp wide open for 3. and im glad kobe actually did it instead of iso everytime. there was a good mix of team ball with nash running it and kobe iso in the end of the 4th and OT.

glad nash is back bc hes the only player who kobe would let run the show like he did at the end of the game when it was on the line. and he delivered in the clutch with that huge 3 and assists and one legged fade away. i want like 2 more shots a game though. 10 should be perfect for him bc hed make most of them from inside the arc and outside with this team surrounding him and if not go to the line which he'll drill those at 90%+
Ariza3

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:37 pm

Ariza3 wrote:loved what nash was doing by getting them into their sets. he may not have gotten the assist but he was the reason they scored and organized everything.

dantoni set up a great play multiple times to get mwp wide open for 3. and im glad kobe actually did it instead of iso everytime. there was a good mix of team ball with nash running it and kobe iso in the end of the 4th and OT.

glad nash is back bc hes the only player who kobe would let run the show like he did at the end of the game when it was on the line. and he delivered in the clutch with that huge 3 and assists and one legged fade away. i want like 2 more shots a game though. 10 should be perfect for him bc hed make most of them from inside the arc and outside with this team surrounding him and if not go to the line which he'll drill those at 90%+

^^ +1 on everything here. I would love to see him take a couple more shots a game as well. The guy is money.

That's another thing that hasn't been discussed much, how awesome is it that we have another guy now to hit clutch shots down the stretch - which he did. I still can't believe he's a Laker.
Lakerjones

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:40 pm

I'd like to see him a little more aggressive on offense. I thought he was deferring to others too much and should've got a few more shot attemtps up.
Lakerfantilidie

Postby borri on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:11 pm

While Nash is ideal for Antoni's offense, he would have also been ideal for the TRI under PJ. Under PJ I am 100% sure PJ would demand that Nash shoot more.

Nothing is gonna change my mind that not hiring PJ was the wrong thing to do. We have the IDEAL personnel for the TRI. D12 would flourish under the "Shaq TRI". Nash would flourish as a shooter. Hill would get ALOT more PT. etc.
borri

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:21 pm

borri wrote:While Nash is ideal for Antoni's offense, he would have also been ideal for the TRI under PJ. Under PJ I am 100% sure PJ would demand that Nash shoot more.

Nothing is gonna change my mind that not hiring PJ was the wrong thing to do. We have the IDEAL personnel for the TRI. D12 would flourish under the "Shaq TRI". Nash would flourish as a shooter. Hill would get ALOT more PT. etc.

With Phil, we would have depended on Pau much more than Nash. If we're going to depend on either of them to play at a level that wins us games, I think we made the right hire.
lakersin4

Postby Helljumper on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Someone mentioned it already, but one of my favorite parts of Nash's game I noticed last night was the off-ball screens. I don't know if it's just that we were actually running set plays, or if Nash was just picking up on things on his own, but his off-ball screens led the other players to create some awesome movement.

I think some fans need to get their expectations in check though. I heard Rambis say that 12 points and 9 assists was a sub-par game for Nash ... No it's not. Nash isn't going to take many shots, and he will defer to Kobe's playmaking at times. I thought we had a great balance of Nash running the offense and allowing the ball to run through others. It just didn't look too good because Kobe was missing so many shots.
Helljumper

Postby pound4pound1 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:46 pm

Helljumper wrote:Someone mentioned it already, but one of my favorite parts of Nash's game I noticed last night was the off-ball screens. I don't know if it's just that we were actually running set plays, or if Nash was just picking up on things on his own, but his off-ball screens led the other players to create some awesome movement.

I think some fans need to get their expectations in check though. I heard Rambis say that 12 points and 9 assists was a sub-par game for Nash ... No it's not. Nash isn't going to take many shots, and he will defer to Kobe's playmaking at times. I thought we had a great balance of Nash running the offense and allowing the ball to run through others. It just didn't look too good because Kobe was missing so many shots.

couldn't agree more...i rewatched the game earlier and some of those picks that Nash set gave the team so many easy looks...the dude knows how to play the game
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby davriver290 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:49 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
Helljumper wrote:Someone mentioned it already, but one of my favorite parts of Nash's game I noticed last night was the off-ball screens. I don't know if it's just that we were actually running set plays, or if Nash was just picking up on things on his own, but his off-ball screens led the other players to create some awesome movement.

couldn't agree more...i rewatched the game earlier and some of those picks that Nash set gave the team so many easy looks...the dude knows how to play the game

That was what caught my attention. It looked like we were running offensive sets, but I'm sure Nash was just running around screening others. He is one smart cookie. (Mad man crush)
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby borri on Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:45 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
borri wrote:While Nash is ideal for Antoni's offense, he would have also been ideal for the TRI under PJ. Under PJ I am 100% sure PJ would demand that Nash shoot more.

With Phil, we would have depended on Pau much more than Nash. If we're going to depend on either of them to play at a level that wins us games, I think we made the right hire.

How so? The focus will be on Kobe and D12. Stop thinking about the Lakers pre- good Bynum. That was the last time Pau was any good. PJ gradually went away from Pau and allowed the offense to focus more on Bynum.

With D12 here, no way in hell PJ would put the focus on Pau when we still have Kobe AND D12. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if PJ started Hill and made Pau the 6th man.
borri

Postby trodgers on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:12 pm

hdtvset wrote:When was the last time you seen Kobe was this open in such of tight game or any game? Check out the 2:27 in the overtime. It happened again later in the overtime but Kobe missed the shot. Nash and Howard got so much attention that the Warriors forgot about Kobe. :jam2:

The 2:27 was drawn up by d'Antoni, believe it or not.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Lakeshow24 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:19 pm

trodgers wrote:
hdtvset wrote:When was the last time you seen Kobe was this open in such of tight game or any game? Check out the 2:27 in the overtime. It happened again later in the overtime but Kobe missed the shot. Nash and Howard got so much attention that the Warriors forgot about Kobe. :jam2:

So he is a better coach than Mike Brown? That's confirmation.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby 432J on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:55 pm

lakersin4 wrote:

it still amazes me how some of you think that hiring dan tony was the right move instead of phil

that is all i will say about that
432J

Postby The Rock on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:26 pm

432J wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:

it still amazes me how some of you think that hiring dan tony was the right move instead of phil

that is all i will say about that

2012 version of MDA > 2012 version of Phil. Phil is older, the travelling and grueling NBA season wore him down you can see in the 2011 season he was going about it like it was a chore, hes accomplished everything as a coach. Hes the GOAT in my book but hes not the same anymore

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Thank you. And we scored PLENTY of points in the halfcourt sets. Plenty!

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:55 pm

The off ball screens are key when NASH sets them because of Nash's ability to shoot the ball from nearly anywhere. If it were duhon setting the screen, no way Kobe gets that wide open. But opponents have to respect Steve Nash because if they double off the screen or help too much on Kobe rolling to the hoop then Nash is wide open for a corner 3 or a wide open 3 off a Gasol hand off or Gasol hands to Nash and he rolls and he's wide open for a dunk. Nash really changes a lot of things for opposing defenses because he IS a threat to score from almost anywhere. The guy is one of the few players to ever be in the 50-40-90 club, and with good reason. The fact that Kobe was SO wide open in OT was really weird to see....I think Kobe hesitated on a wide open 3 and I got really upset when he did that cuz he has a habit of passing up wide open shots for the more difficult shot, but I think that shot is going to be there all year as long as Nash is playing. Man I pray this guy stays healthy, I just feel so much better about the team with him running the offense...and if he can get Gasol and Dwight going, the sky is the limit for this team.
FabFourLakers

Postby therealdeal on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:57 pm

Lakeshow24 wrote:
trodgers wrote:

So he is a better coach than Mike Brown? That's confirmation.

He drew up one play so yes I think so. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Murdock on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:20 am

problem is kobe sometimes stops and jabs and waits for the defender instead of shooting ... like last night ... he needs to learn not to waste open shots otherwise nash's job goes to wate
Murdock

Postby LooN3y on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:30 am

Murdock wrote:

problem is kobe sometimes stops and jabs and waits for the defender instead of shooting ... like last night ... he needs to learn not to waste open shots otherwise nash's job goes to wate

he did ALOT last year. like you want to shoot it with a hand in your face?
LooN3y

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion