Steve Nash Discussion: Retiring; Lakers Disabled Exception

Re: Steve Nash Discussion (Playing tonight! 12/22 p105)

Postby odom1year on Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:14 am

Murdock wrote:
odom1year wrote:
karacha wrote:Nash actually plays better defense now. I don't know why, but he's really not that bad.

Nash played good this game, but still not able to convince me in defense. Let's wait to see him playing against Westbrook, Parker and Paul 1st.

are you kidding me? nobody in the world can guard those players ... don't expect nash to do otherwise

Are you Kobe ? Just remind you that Lakers are a team, there are FIVE players on the court. You know what is team defense or team chemistry. You are not alone and no one wants you to do it all. Share the ball please.
odom1year

Postby jbiggs on Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:39 am

LooN3y wrote:if we win at least 2 ships, in his 3 year tenure, is that enough to get his jersey retired? or does he atleast need to stay 5 or 6 years (like wilt)

interesting question albeit a little premature. i think if he gets us 2 titles in a 3 yr span its gonna be hard not to give him some type of recognition...its just normally a player has to be with a team longer to get that honor and i really dont know how long nash will be on the team
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby LooN3y on Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:47 am

jbiggs wrote:
LooN3y wrote:if we win at least 2 ships, in his 3 year tenure, is that enough to get his jersey retired? or does he atleast need to stay 5 or 6 years (like wilt)

interesting question albeit a little premature. i think if he gets us 2 titles in a 3 yr span its gonna be hard not to give him some type of recognition...its just normally a player has to be with a team longer to get that honor and i really dont know how long nash will be on the team

yeah, because when i think of nash it just reminds me of wilt, wilt wasnt on the laker for long, only 6 years or so and the won 1 championship, but of course hes a HOFer and one of the best bigmen and scorers of all time.

but nash is one of the best PGs to ever play, not to mention one of the best international players to ever play. so lets say he signs a 2 year extension (if he can still play that is) and that would be a 5 year span in which he wins 2.

would that be enough to retire a jersey for him? i mean of course phoenix already is.
LooN3y

Postby John3:16 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:54 am

^^ In regards to Wilt, I think most remember him as a Laker, even though he did win a championship with Philly and enjoyed his most success there.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:21 am

odom1year wrote:
Murdock wrote:
odom1year wrote:
karacha wrote:Nash actually plays better defense now. I don't know why, but he's really not that bad.

Nash played good this game, but still not able to convince me in defense. Let's wait to see him playing against Westbrook, Parker and Paul 1st.

are you kidding me? nobody in the world can guard those players ... don't expect nash to do otherwise

Are you Kobe ? Just remind you that Lakers are a team, there are FIVE players on the court. You know what is team defense or team chemistry. You are not alone and no one wants you to do it all. Share the ball please.

What in the world are you trying to say?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Magic Skywalker on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:24 am

What the--?!
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:57 am

Punk-101 wrote:We don't even have optimum on the court chemistry yet. Give it a month and let the offensive orgasms begin.

Exactly my thoughts, this is only Nash's 2nd game with this squad not running the Princeton, which he only ran about 1 full game and a half before getting injured.
Greater things are coming, this is only the beginning :jam2:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby JGC on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:11 am

Murdock wrote:
odom1year wrote:

Yeah, this. I mean, I've been saying this since we had Derek Fisher.

Nash is actually, IMO, a good help defender. Where he falls short is in individual man defense but to the point of many in here, it's impossible to shut down a PG consistently one on one with the rules in this league.
JGC

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:18 am

therealdeal wrote:
odom1year wrote:
Murdock wrote:
odom1year wrote:

What in the world are you trying to say?

Ban me....I was just trying to see how long it would take you...... :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
LTLakerFan

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:22 am

Great game from Steve. So efficient. Man, this offense looks so much more smoother with him running it, obviously. Steve's defense on Felton wasn't bad either. So glad to have him back...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:28 am

JGC wrote:
Murdock wrote:
odom1year wrote:

Yeah, this. I mean, I've been saying this since we had Derek Fisher.

Nash is actually, IMO, a good help defender. Where he falls short is in individual man defense but to the point of many in here, it's impossible to shut down a PG consistently one on one with the rules in this league.

He's a terrific system player. Especially for this system that was built for him in almost every way. He knows the defensive system, so while he may get beat he knows which direction he needs to let his guy beat him in. And when he does get beat, he knows to rotate to the open man.

He's exactly the player this team needs to soothe Kobe Bryant's leadership style.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:32 am

^ Agreed. He's also quite adept at drawing charges.

Both he and Derek are deceptively good defenders. Frankly, I never understood the talk about poor defense with these guys. Both of them, as you said, are good system players. They might not be able to shut down a Westbrook on their own, but, if there is a TEAM scheme set up they will execute it to the T.

I have always felt that man D is desirable, but highly overrated. I mean Lebron is a legit defensive stud, and Durant made him look silly on multiple plays in the Xmas game.
JGC

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:55 am

JGC wrote:^ Agreed. He's also quite adept at drawing charges.

Both he and Derek are deceptively good defenders. Frankly, I never understood the talk about poor defense with these guys. Both of them, as you said, are good system players. They might not be able to shut down a Westbrook on their own, but, if there is a TEAM scheme set up they will execute it to the T.

I have always felt that man D is desirable, but highly overrated. I mean Lebron is a legit defensive stud, and Durant made him look silly on multiple plays in the Xmas game.

I always felt that way about Derek too, plus he had the added component of his strength and physicality.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:03 am

Well towards the end of Fish's tenure he was having a tough time even doing that, so I understood the need to either bench him or let him go. And I'm easily the biggest Fisher fan here.

Yes, in our Championship days Fisher was a very good team defender, and that's what gave him his value on that end of the court. That and his ridiculously muscled body.

Nash does similar things, but he's more slender and he picks up fouls easier because of his small frame. He's sneakier than Derek, who at times was just a bull in a china cabinet.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:04 am

^ Haha. That made me laugh. A bull in a china cabinet is way worse than a bull in a china shop!
JGC

Re: Steve Nash Discussion: downright Nashty

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:13 am

I thought it fit more with the way Fisher played at times. :man9:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:19 am

Yes and somehow I don't see Steve as being the kind of guy to knock a "Scola" on his bleep when he seriously needs being knocked on his bleep.....for the good of our team. Metta can but he would be banned for a season again.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:21 am

LTLakerFan wrote:Yes and somehow I don't see Steve as being the kind of guy to knock a "Scola" on his bleep when he seriously needs being knocked on his bleep.....for the good of our team. Metta can but he would be banned for a season again.

Well Nash would probably flop on the contact and get the foul called against him. :man10:

That's more his MO.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby yossarian33 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:53 pm

therealdeal wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:Yes and somehow I don't see Steve as being the kind of guy to knock a "Scola" on his bleep when he seriously needs being knocked on his bleep.....for the good of our team. Metta can but he would be banned for a season again.

Well Nash would probably flop on the contact and get the foul called against him. :man10:

That's more his MO.

I personally don't see Nash as a flopper, to me it's more he's good at getting into position to take charges and gets the call more than some players. I admit there may be bias on my part in that though, was a long time Suns Fan. Still am i guess, but not nearly to the same degree.

One thing i like about Nash is he makes the game that much more fun to watch. So unpredictable yet smooth on offense. Just freestyles out there it seems sometimes and manages to make good things happen. Loved how Van Gundi broke down how he was setting screens to get guys freed up for shots on the telecast last night.
Last edited by yossarian33 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yossarian33

Re: Steve Nash Discussion (Saturday Return Expected! pg102)

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:56 pm

Snakell Beast wrote:Disagreement is not a lack of understanding. I'm not failing to acknowledge Steve Nash's history of floor spreading shooting ability, I am contending that as players get older, their shots don't fall as much anymore...especially if they are injured or tired, both of which will describe Nash for the bulk of the remainder of this season. Second, unless Nash is going to score 20+ points per game while dishing out 10+ assists, he won't make much of a difference on this team.

If he plays about 28 minutes per game (a very realistic number for someone his age coming off a serious injury) and produces 9 or 10 points (on about 44% shooting) and 6 or 7 assists (what I think he is most likely to produce with this team) that will hardly catapult this team into playoff contention...let alone championship contention. We are a slightly less than average team. Get over it. I am probably way more devastated and disappointed, to come to grips with that reality, than anyone else on here.

I am not saying that Nash won't help the team or be effective. I am saying something far worse...I am saying that we seriously overrated this team to begin with. I am saying that we are headed for, at best, a 45-37 record this season, and at worst a 35-47 record. We are simply too old and slow defensively, too young and inexperienced, or washed up and untalented, on the bench...and too fundamentally unsound (FTs, TOs) offensively. One man CANNOT fix all those problems. We must deal with it.

:man10: :man10: :man10:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby jbiggs on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:06 pm

^^ haha easy now... he has already admitted that he may have jumped the gun a little
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:56 pm

Nash makes a difference.

Still doesn't mean anything for the team. If we can go 11-5 in January (LAC/OKC/MIA/MEM),it might mean something.

Crossing my fingers.
Chillbongo

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:45 pm

Tweet from Kevin Ding:

D'Antoni said Nash is better defensively now than before in Phoenix. I asked D'Antoni how, and he said ...

"Him hounding people, getting through picks and different things. He was a little bit better than they what they always said. Especially as a team defender, he's really good. His understanding of the game is really good. So it was never true that he couldn't defend. Or that we couldn't defend in Phoenix."

D'Antoni continued on to get in his general argument for how his small Suns teams were better defensively than most understood. (It is increasingly apparent that Mitch Kupchak was right about D'Antoni being motivated to prove with the Lakers that he can coach defense.) But D'Antoni got back to Nash's defense and added this interesting note: "He said he has worked on his leg strength in the last couple of years to get better at it, and he has."
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:53 pm

Nash's inabilities on defense have always been overblown. It's just because he's an unathletic white guy that people automatically assume he should be terrible

I mean he's not going to win any all defensive teams, but he's smart. Similar to the way Bird was, neither guy was going to lock down their man but they understand the game well enough to know how to contribute on defense.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Finwë on Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:11 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Nash's inabilities on defense have always been overblown. It's just because he's an unathletic white guy that people automatically assume he should be terrible

I mean he's not going to win any all defensive teams, but he's smart. Similar to the way Bird was, neither guy was going to lock down their man but they understand the game well enough to know how to contribute on defense.

Yeah, and other than that perceived one, there are no weaknesses to his game. So I guess it's understandable people fixate on that.. "Kobe is great but he can be kind of a ballhog from time to time" "LeBron is great but he's afraid of big moments / can't make FTs" "Durant is great but he's too skinny" "Nash is brilliant but he can't D up to save his life". Overblowing stuff IMO
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion