Steve Nash Discussion: Retiring; Lakers Disabled Exception

Re: Steve Nash Discussion: 10k assist club

Postby The Rock on Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:31 pm

We're not asking him to hoist up 15 to 20 shots a game. But he should take more than 10 forsure.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:45 pm

karacha wrote:I would like Steve to consciously take ~2 more shots a game if possible. In addition to creating his own shots, which he is awesome at -- he could maybe spot up for a long jumper or two. Dwight set him up really well last night and Steve knocked down a jumper without hesitation. He's truly an amazing shooter. Against Cleveland, he took one mid-range jumper.... and the ball bounced off the rim. I was so surprised to see that... how in the world did that not go in?! This is Nash we're talking about! However, while I was thinking that, the ball came down and it went through the hoop. :man10:

I remember that exact shot. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:50 am

He almost missed a FT .. what a scrub
wcsoldier81

Postby KB24 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:41 am

the fact that every player is busy to get Gasol going shows me he doesn't have much left in the tank to overcome this himself.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:57 am

Yeah I wish every important person around and on this team would just admit that Pau is done ( well at least the people in charge of the decisions in our organization knew he was done after the Mavs series)... stop wasting time and energy for him

Kobe was trying to get him going during the 2nd half at home against Denver ... calling plays for him on the low block ... of course Pau didn't do jack .

EVERYBODY should move on ... and it starts with the softies the LA medias are ... treat him like the role player he is now .

Defense is, should be and stay the number 1 priority ... but I'm sure the focus will be back on Pau's role in the offense as soon as he come back
wcsoldier81

Postby Armani on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Nice passing, but shot was off tonight... I couldn't believe some of those shots didn't go in. I am sure he'll bounce back.
Armani

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:47 pm

Steve won't have a shooting night like that too often. Not worried.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:48 pm

needs to make those 3s. killed my fantasy team
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby karacha on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:09 pm

Did not shoot well tonight. Yet... he had some nice passes, and generally has some serious impact on the game. At least he went to the basket fearlessly a couple of times, and hit some tricky shots.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Milwaukee did a good job taking the ball out of his hands in the perimeter in the second half, but he still found other ways to impact the game like hitting mid-rangers and getting the ball back late in the clock to create more opportunities.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:13 am

I think we'll see the value of his passing abilities against the Heat traps and fronting of the low block
wcsoldier81

Postby lAKERfaNaticKID on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:22 pm

Question. Why isn't Steve Nash in the top 5 in assist? Since he's been back he's averaging easily 10 assist per game...is there a minimum amount of games that has to be played in order to qualify for the top 5?
lAKERfaNaticKID

Postby jlkr on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:34 pm

lAKERfaNaticKID wrote:Question. Why isn't Steve Nash in the top 5 in assist? Since he's been back he's averaging easily 10 assist per game...is there a minimum amount of games that has to be played in order to qualify for the top 5?

Nash missed a lot of time. The ESPN assist leaders page says that players have to play at a pace leading to 70 games played or distribute at least 400 assists to be listed. Nash has played just 14 games so far out of 38 and is averaging 8.9apg for the season, but 9.7apg in his last 10 games. Since he is obviously not playing 70 games this year, he needs another 275 assists to get to the 400 plateau. Which should happen about 28 games from now assuming he keeps his current pace. But yes, 8.9apg puts him 4th in the top 5 and averaging 9.7 would have him right up there with Chris Paul for 2nd. Rondo the leader is basically untouchable at this point.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby lAKERfaNaticKID on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:48 pm

jlkr wrote:
lAKERfaNaticKID wrote:Question. Why isn't Steve Nash in the top 5 in assist? Since he's been back he's averaging easily 10 assist per game...is there a minimum amount of games that has to be played in order to qualify for the top 5?

Nash missed a lot of time. The ESPN assist leaders page says that players have to play at a pace leading to 70 games played or distribute at least 400 assists to be listed. Nash has played just 14 games so far out of 38 and is averaging 8.9apg for the season, but 9.7apg in his last 10 games. Since he is obviously not playing 70 games this year, he needs another 275 assists to get to the 400 plateau. Which should happen about 28 games from now assuming he keeps his current pace. But yes, 8.9apg puts him 4th in the top 5 and averaging 9.7 would have him right up there with Chris Paul for 2nd. Rondo the leader is basically untouchable at this point.

Ahh gotcha, thank you sir for the explanation. I think he'll end up in the top 5 by the end of the season for sure
lAKERfaNaticKID

Postby Armani on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:11 pm

Worst game I have seen Nash play... Heat took him out good. We'll need a different game plan the next time.
Armani

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:12 pm

heat shut him down. big time. totally ineffective out there.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby kblo247 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Dantoni should have left Duhon in the game and benched Nash. Nothing Nash did deserved for him to be on the court, same rules for Pau apply. Nash has been bad out there, turnovers, wasting clock, got trapped at least 4 times, giving layups up, losing his guy. He should have had his *** plastered to that bench this fourth quarter with Duhon out there on Allen like to start the 4th and the ball in Kobe's hands.

The group of Duhon, Kobe, MWP, Pau, and Deight had a positive rhythm and that went to hell the second Nash entered and started dribbling in one spot and stalling the O, then getting lost on D. That's on Mike.
kblo247

Postby hollywood swinger on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:19 pm

nash is not a starter on a championship team.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Sucked!
khmrP

Postby Armani on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:22 pm

hollywood swinger wrote:nash is not a starter on a championship team.

Maybe I shouldn't look at this thread after a loss. :man10:
Armani

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:24 pm

Games like this make me think the game is just too fast and athletic for him. I mean he struggles just to bring the ball up court against his defender. He makes silly turnovers, can't play much D and he just can't break down a defense consistently. He's more of a liability than an asset for long stretches when u look at his overall game.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby hollywood swinger on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:26 pm

Armani wrote:
hollywood swinger wrote:nash is not a starter on a championship team.

Maybe I shouldn't look at this thread after a loss. :man10:

i know the truth hurts.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:27 pm

Nash was bad with the traps. A pass over the trap leads to a dunk.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Kit on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:28 pm

I was scared when Nash was dribbling. Never saw that coming.
Kit

Postby kblo247 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:28 pm

Is anyone arguing that Nash iced Kobe that fourth when he had it going? He literally dribbled for 17 seconds at one point and Kobe had to run out to him and force something. Same thing happened every trip down the closing minutes, he literally dribbled out the clock and couldn't break the pressure and had to be bailed out or was trapped. The one time he wasn't he fell on his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]. There's no excuse to say him entering the game didnt kill our offensive and defensive rhythm. The same sets Duhon got into with Kobe, MWP, Pau, and Dwight are the same ones he literally forced into having 8 seconds or less to work with. And he got lost for a layup and a jumper in a tie game. He was bad, Pau has gotten benched for less as has Jamison, he should've been benched because Duhon was better that fourth quarter.

Hell if Nash was going to be out there he shouldn't have had the ball and just spotted up ala fish as that's the only useful sequence he had the fourth quarter, which was Kobe bringing the ball up, posting in an iso, and feeding him an open 3. Nash killed us when we could have who because he couldn't be pressure or traps.

Could Kobe have shot better the first 3 quarters? Yes.
Could Pau have not given the layup line the 3rd quarter? Yes
Could Dwight have hit fts? Yes

But the game was winnable. The Lakers actually had the game until Nash broke their entire rhythm both sides the ball in the fourth. His over dribbling and lack of D hurt us. The guy literally froze Kobe out in the fourths final minutes by dribbling 12-17 seconds in a spot, he literally rendered Dwight useless too as he couldn't make a post entry pass, as Metta bailed him out by coming to the ball and hitting Dwight. And his D well there was none. He should have been benched if Pau was for the same [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]. He hurt the team tonight, plain and simple because there was no rhythm out there with him, that even Kobe or Metta were setting that quarter.

Nash has to close better period
Last edited by kblo247 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kblo247

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion