Steve Nash Discussion: Retiring; Lakers Disabled Exception

Re: Steve Nash Discussion: passes Magic in all time assists

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:30 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:I love Steve so much, but i still think he need to pack his bags and go this summer.....

At $9M a year, he's too much of a liability on defense. Allows way too much scoring, penetration.

I love the guy but it would be awesome if he "retired" and then re-signed with us shortly after on the cheap as a backup. Then I wouldn't feel guilty saying this stuff
Chillbongo

Postby borri on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
Uncle Drew wrote:I love Steve so much, but i still think he need to pack his bags and go this summer.....

At $9M a year, he's too much of a liability on defense. Allows way too much scoring, penetration.

I love the guy but it would be awesome if he "retired" and then re-signed with us shortly after on the cheap as a backup. Then I wouldn't feel guilty saying this stuff

It's not just Nash. It's also Kobe and Pau. No wonder we can't stop anybody. I shudder to think what we'd look like if we didn't have D12 in the middle........ :man4:
borri

Postby karacha on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:47 pm

With Dwight in beast mode, we look average at best. And I think that's how we're ranked actually. Without Dwight, we're absolutely horrible on D. In that case we only have Clark (inexperienced) and Metta (old). That's it. Others don't bring it consistently, or don't bring it at all.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:52 pm

borri wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:

It's not just Nash. It's also Kobe and Pau. No wonder we can't stop anybody. I shudder to think what we'd look like if we didn't have D12 in the middle........ :man4:

Yep, we simply don't have the personnel to defend. Too many old and unathletic guys. This was always my main concern going into the season, but I thought we would be good enough offensively to make up for it and that Dwight would cover our butts. MDA thought the same thing I think. The problem is Dwight HAS covered our butts and we're still terrible. I didn't envision us being THIS bad defensively. It would take a defensive anchor like Bill Russell to fix this.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby karacha on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:54 pm

All true, but we need Nash back ASAP. His shooting will be crucial if we want to make the playoffs.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:57 pm

^^^
Heck i dont even think Bill Russell can fix this. No one player can. 2 glaring holes in Nash and Pau and a player who roams like a freaking nomad in Kobe.

To boot, our defensive rotations are downright atrocious. It's either a layup, second chance dunk, or a wide open J.
borri

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Yeah, the rotations can be fixed though. Or at least improved. Would we be significantly better? Nope.

But if we got a player or two that improved, I think it'd make a big difference. Frankly, if we go into next season with Kobe & Nash as our back court, we're going to be in trouble.

Even if it's something like Nash/Kobe/Batum/Clark/Howard
Chillbongo

Postby JSM on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 3h
When @samsteeleponder and I spoke to Steve Nash yesterday, he said it was more of a hamstring injury now than a hip injury.

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 3h
Nash said inretrospect he wouldnt have tried to push thru the hamstring issue on that road trip, but he didnt realize it would get worse
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:53 pm

Honestly...

Dude might have to retire. He's missed so much time and the time he didn't miss he hasn't looked ANYTHING like the Steve Nash we all thought we were getting. World's worse than even just a year ago.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:11 pm

^ I think he has one more year in him. Until after the All-Star break I'd restrict him to 25 minutes a game. Q1: First 8
Q2: Final 6
Q3: First 5
Q4: Final 6

Bump them as needed after that, but DO NOT play him more than 30 minutes. He's played 37+ minutes 8 times this year -- I think that's too many for him at this stage in his career. I think he can still play a vital role for us next season, but minute management is key.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:13 pm

I don't want Nash to retire, I want his salary cap hit to retire. 18 million for the next two seasons is a little too much for a 40 year old PG.

I never understood that 3rd year of the deal? Why not 2? :man3:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:18 pm

JSM wrote:^ I think he has one more year in him. Until after the All-Star break I'd restrict him to 25 minutes a game. Q1: First 8
Q2: Final 6
Q3: First 5
Q4: Final 6

Bump them as needed after that, but DO NOT play him more than 30 minutes. He's played 37+ minutes 8 times this year -- I think that's too many for him at this stage in his career. I think he can still play a vital role for us next season, but minute management is key.

That would have been easier if we'd had Blake all season long.

And Doc, I think it was just for the guaranteed money, but I think he has no intention of playing longer than Kobe. If Kobe comes back for a year, then Nash will likely play that last year. If Kobe retires, Nash will probably go with him.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:16 pm

We need a PG who can hit 3s and doesn't turn the ball over...thats been Nash's problem he turns it over too much and he's getting destroyed when handling the ball, creating live ball turnovers with risky passes or bounce passes to Dwight in traffic (hello it doesnt work for Dwight!), which turns to transition opportunities for other team. We can live with his poor defense, we've won before with bad defense from PGs. His ball handling has super been iffy, he has had loads of trouble bringing the ball up the court and set the offense running, quicker/faster PG's have pushed him around in that area...the team is up working against the clock by the time he's able to bring the ball up the court and get rid of it

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:48 am

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's done for the season ...
wcsoldier81

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:04 am

Damn, Nash may not play tomorrow
https://twitter.com/LAIreland/status/321879730146136064

I don't think so--maybe this weekend RT @_562kid is nash gonna play next game

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:57 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/36364/injury-update-steve-nash-jordan-hill

LOS ANGELES -- Will Metta World Peace's speedy return from knee surgery set the table for a couple of other Los Angeles Lakers players to follow suit as they recover from their own injuries?

Maybe.

Steve Nash will travel with the Lakers for their game against the Portland Trail Blazers on Wednesday. A source close to Nash told ESPNLosAngeles.com that the point guard is eyeing a Friday return when the Lakers host the Golden State Warriors and characterized the chances of him playing against the Blazers as "slim."

Nash has recently switched to a new, stronger medication in hopes of alleviating the pain associated with the right hip injury that has been causing him hamstring problems and kept him out of all but two minutes of the Lakers' last five games.

I think D'Antoni might have to let Morris and Ebanks loose in this one, POR has the worst bench in the league, they average only 17 points game, 9 less than the 29th ranked team

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:17 am

Love Nash, but his body is breaking down quick. I doubt he can succeed at being our starting PG for the next 2 years...

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby nthydro on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:26 am

I can't help but notice a disturbing trend with the latest PGs who come to our team. They are initially hailed as saviors by people on this board but by the end of their first season/playoff run with us, everyone is calling for their head :man10:

Will Nash join Blake and Sessions? Sure looks like it.
nthydro

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:56 am

nthydro wrote:I can't help but notice a disturbing trend with the latest PGs who come to our team. They are initially hailed as saviors by people on this board but by the end of their first season/playoff run with us, everyone is calling for their head :man10:

I wouldn't call that a trend, I'd call it warranted. Also, Blake and Sessions were never hailed as saviors, in fact many posters went out of their way to point out right when we traded for him that while Sessions was very good and had potential to be even better, he was NOT going to save last seasons team. Blake, I don't remember anyone saying anything more than he would be solid and mean less playing time for an aging Fisher. Of course expectations were higher for Nash though, he's been one of the best PG's in the NBA for a decade .
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:21 pm

When describing his injured hamstring, Steve Nash said, "it feels like when you go to use it, it grabs."
"You let up because you feel like you're going to tear it," he added. These are not the kind of quotes the Lakers want to hear right now, and although he's tentatively targeting a return on Friday, he's going to have to do a lot of healing to have a realistic shot of playing vs. Golden State. The team is apparently waiting until Nash is 100 percent, but he is unlikely to be full strength until next season.

:freak2:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby borri on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Weezy wrote:
nthydro wrote:I can't help but notice a disturbing trend with the latest PGs who come to our team. They are initially hailed as saviors by people on this board but by the end of their first season/playoff run with us, everyone is calling for their head :man10:

I wouldn't call that a trend, I'd call it warranted. Also, Blake and Sessions were never hailed as saviors, in fact many posters went out of their way to point out right when we traded for him that while Sessions was very good and had potential to be even better, he was NOT going to save last seasons team. Blake, I don't remember anyone saying anything more than he would be solid and mean less playing time for an aging Fisher. Of course expectations were higher for Nash though, he's been one of the best PG's in the NBA for a decade .

I only liked Nash if we ran a half court system. Antoni hire was the worst of all scenarios. A broke down Nash is a direct result of it.
borri

Postby SpencerHarrison on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:10 pm

I just don't MISS Nash that much on the court. I think he has gotten by largely free of criticism this year, despite that fact that he has OPENLY SURRENDERED THE SEASON TO THE MEDIA, turned the ball over, shot badly as much as well, and is a massive liability on defense.

Nash has arguably been the worst fit of all the signings.
SpencerHarrison

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:20 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:
When describing his injured hamstring, Steve Nash said, "it feels like when you go to use it, it grabs."
"You let up because you feel like you're going to tear it," he added. These are not the kind of quotes the Lakers want to hear right now, and although he's tentatively targeting a return on Friday, he's going to have to do a lot of healing to have a realistic shot of playing vs. Golden State. The team is apparently waiting until Nash is 100 percent, but he is unlikely to be full strength until next season.

Just retire then man... Nagging injuries only nag worse when you're older. We need you now and if you can't perform now, I just don't see there being much use going forward. He's looked like some cruel joke of a Nash that we thought we were getting.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Steve we need you back ASAP. Next year... just retire if you can't play, but right now we could really use your shooting.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:23 pm

therealdeal wrote:
lakersyunowin wrote:

Just retire then man... Nagging injuries only nag worse when you're older. We need you now and if you can't perform now, I just don't see there being much use going forward. He's looked like some cruel joke of a Nash that we thought we were getting.

honestly we shouldn't even be surprised, we should've seen it coming. Not only with his age but Pho medical staff gets their rep for being the best at being able to revive players career and keep them healthy for a reason.
khmrP

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion