Steve Nash Discussion: Retiring; Lakers Disabled Exception

Re: Steve Nash Discussion: passes Magic in all time assists

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:54 pm

Steve Nash and Dwight Howard are not good in the PnR together. Half the time what happens is:

*Nash's man gets screened off, and the play goes inside to Howard. Everyone KNOWS that's where the play is heading, so they swat and kick everywhere. Howard doesn't have the greatest hands in traffic, and the ball gets loose. Nash's man at this point is halfway back and waiting for the outlet pass for an easy score.

Nash has to score off the elbow jumper. A lot. As in, Westbrook a lot. Otherwise this play will never be as effective as it could be.

And again, if I have a choice of Nash taking a PnR elbow jumper, or Dwight trying his "post moves" out, I'll roll with Nash every time win or lose.
SpencerHarrison

Postby khmrP on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:59 pm

Nash just dont like beating his old team I guess
khmrP

Postby The Rock on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:34 am

Nash went 4 for 7 to start the game and then 2 for 10 after, how come playing so much PG he had only 4 assists to show for it and didn't give more shots for Steve Blake whos shooting over 50% and Earl Clark who was shooting a better % than Nash. Ballhog!

All kidding aside I'll just chalk this up to being a back to back, one more set of this and then we're done for the rest of the year to back to backs. I like the fact that Nash is shooting more, more often than not it will provide good results

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:16 am

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 11h
Nash on Bryant today: "Kobe looked good. He got into a rhythm and played well. It didn’t look like (his ankle) was bothering him."

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 11h
Nash on Gasol: "He looked good. He was moving well. He looked like he had a lot of energy. Hopefully, he can feel good tomorrow and play."
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:39 am

We need those two to ease back into the flow. We were really rocking there for a bit, now we've hit a speed bump.

I'd like if we could just slowly ramp up every game for the playoffs. Our momentum has taken a hit, but I think we can recover from this.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:50 am

SpencerHarrison wrote:Steve Nash and Dwight Howard are not good in the PnR together.

Who would have thought the best P&R PG and the best P&R C in the league would be terrible at it together. :bang:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby gcclaker on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:43 am

dj vitus wrote:
SpencerHarrison wrote:Steve Nash and Dwight Howard are not good in the PnR together.

Who would have thought the best P&R PG and the best P&R C in the league would be terrible at it together. :bang:

My thoughts... From what I remember with Howard in his Orlando days, Howard mostly caught alley-oops with Nelson and not much off the bounce. Nash and Stoudemire during their Phoenix days played well together because rolled off the bounce pass to the rim or on a short J which was good at. Anyone remember that little tiff they had where Howard was pointing up while Nash was had his hands down telling Howard to catch it and gather himself? It could be the reason for all the strips that he has endured too.

Side note: Blake seems to connect better throwing it up there for Howard.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:49 am

Steve Black :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
LTLakerFan

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:37 pm

I have a problem. I like the idea of Steve Nash, but I can't for the life of me figure out what he actually brings to this team besides intangibles.

He can KIND OF score decently when he makes it a priority. But otherwise, here's what Nash on the floor gets you:

*Instant defensive switch on PnR. You screen him, hes gone. Easy to switch matchups all night long or just blow by him.

*Smaller, older and slower.

*Turnover prone.

What positives does he give you? What matchup problems does he create? I see him fumbling inside on drives, throwing possessions away, airballing shots, missing floaters and 3 pointers, etc.

With Blake all I see is smart ball movement, crisp passes and good decision making.

AM I HIGH? MAKE THIS STOP!!!

There was a good argument for why all of this is happening that I read here, but the fact remains:

Steve Nash isn't particularly good or effective on either end of the floor for this team.

And yes, this comes on the heels of maybe his most complete statistical game against Golden State. But I still stand by this.
SpencerHarrison

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:22 pm

SpencerHarrison wrote:I have a problem. I like the idea of Steve Nash, but I can't for the life of me figure out what he actually brings to this team besides intangibles.

He can KIND OF score decently when he makes it a priority. But otherwise, here's what Nash on the floor gets you:

*Instant defensive switch on PnR. You screen him, hes gone. Easy to switch matchups all night long or just blow by him.

*Smaller, older and slower.

*Turnover prone.

What positives does he give you? What matchup problems does he create? I see him fumbling inside on drives, throwing possessions away, airballing shots, missing floaters and 3 pointers, etc.

With Blake all I see is smart ball movement, crisp passes and good decision making.

AM I HIGH? MAKE THIS STOP!!!

There was a good argument for why all of this is happening that I read here, but the fact remains:

Steve Nash isn't particularly good or effective on either end of the floor for this team.

And yes, this comes on the heels of maybe his most complete statistical game against Golden State. But I still stand by this.

We'd be better off with a younger defensive PG that can score.. I think the idea of sending Nash home to Canada in the offseason for Lowry + picks & pieces needs to be seriously looked at. If we could contain PG's we'd win many more games.
lakersin4

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:33 pm

I think Nash could still go and be a leader on the right team. But he just seems WASTED in LA.
SpencerHarrison

Postby Finwë on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:39 pm

I think you're exaggerating his offensive struggles. He's still a great offensive player, it's just that some games he doesn't perform up to the standards we're used to, and we start thinking that maybe he shouldn't be on the floor considering how weak he can be on D.
But still, I have no doubt that for the most part we're better off with him playing. Our shooting and ball movement is already bad, without Nash it'd be terrible
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:04 am

Nash is better (in this offense) when he's more assertive, but unfortunately he just cant maintain an aggressive offensive style of play for too long at his age.

Defensively Im not going to give him much crap for because he's as bad defensively as we all expected. Id say he actually tries on D now, he just gets lit up either anyway, whereas in Phx he would put absolutely no effort whatsoever into playing defense (not many have been that bad on one side of the court and have MVP(s) to show for it).

I think ideally the best way to maximize Nash's effectiveness at this stage of his career (regardless of what team he's playing on) would be to make sure he's basically always fresh by playing him about 25mpg, and then an few extra minutes in the playoffs.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:21 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 1m
Nash tried to get ready to return, but D'Antoni said it wouldn't have been fair to him. He does expect Nash to start on Saturday.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Weezy on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:56 pm

Man we just got this guy on our team a little too late. He can still be very good, he was in the 1st half tonight, but he's just not the same guy most of the time because of age and injury, body seems to be failing him off and on, and he's here for 2 more years, wow, not getting any younger.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:04 am

Hopefully his hip/leg injury isn't serious. We can't afford another injury. We don't have a single player in the rotation who's healthy (Meeks isn't mentally healthy with some of the decisions he makes).

Nash did look very good out there when he was carrying the offensive load with Kobe on the bench.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Helljumper on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:18 am

RT @LakersReporter: Steve Nash (hip, back) also received treatment today; he's listed as "questionable" for tomorrow's game.
Helljumper

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:09 am

We are going to start a team of Sacre, Morris, Ebanks, Meeks and Dwight
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby charvin on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:16 am

Replace Dwight with Duhon. :man10:

puffyusaf#2 wrote:We are going to start a team of Sacre, Morris, Ebanks, Meeks and Dwight
charvin

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:22 am

In the Bucks game, Steve had a great 1st half. He's had a couple of other games where he stood out offensively. Otherwise, he's had a good season. He's never been the best defender. Although, in a team concept, he's not bad. He's signed for two more years, though. Unfortunately, I think we need get a backup PG that Steve can tutor and hand over the reigns when he decides to retire.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:17 pm

Aaaand.... he looks done.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:19 pm

He's had stiffness and spasms for the past few seasons. I really wonder what might've been without that shin fracture. Was averaging 15.4 per game in March.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:21 pm

Update: hamstring. Well, that might take a while.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:38 pm

fly him to phoenix for some treatment
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby karacha on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:41 pm

Let's see if we can get Rondo next year. :man9:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion