Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Steve Nash Discussion: passes Magic in all time assists

Postby The Rock on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:44 am

lakersin4 wrote:
The Rock wrote:Havent we always had ATROCIOUS PG defense and won rings anyways? He isnt any worse than D-Fish on D and brings much more on offense. Hes a keeper as long as hes healthy

You wouldn't rather have a younger, quicker PG who plays defense? Nash is still a huge name we can get good value for him. I just don't think he fits our needs as well as a player like I described.

How many PGs out there actually play defense? You just gotta hope your PG puts up enough points to match his counterpart

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:45 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
The Rock wrote:Havent we always had ATROCIOUS PG defense and won rings anyways? He isnt any worse than D-Fish on D and brings much more on offense. Hes a keeper as long as hes healthy

because our team D and the others positions were solid enough on D to counter Fish weakness which clearly isn't the case today ... plus NBA style of play has changed a lot these latest 3 seasons

of course its changed but Nash is an elite shooter and is a solid playmaker next to Kobe....they still have that 1/2 pick and roll weapon which they played vs Miami that looks damn near unguardable

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:48 am

I don't mind him being out against the Floppers ... we're shorthanded but we won't miss his pathetic D against CP3 ... Blake isn't a defensive stopper but he's way better than Nash both as an individual and team defender ...

I wouldn't mind Nash playing with the 2nd unit especially as long as Blake is shooting the 3 ball well .

We just had 3 solid defensive performances in a row ( against average offense teams but still better than what we have done for the majority of the season) without him.

Nash offensive impact/defensive liability ratio has been clearly negative
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:56 am

The Rock wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:

because our team D and the others positions were solid enough on D to counter Fish weakness which clearly isn't the case today ... plus NBA style of play has changed a lot these latest 3 seasons

of course its changed but Nash is an elite shooter and is a solid playmaker next to Kobe....they still have that 1/2 pick and roll weapon which they played vs Miami that looks damn near unguardable

pb is they don't often use this ... we had games in which Kobe was going 1 on 5 in the 4th ( like the Wizards one lately) and instead of taking responsabilities and making plays , Nash kept giving the rock to Kobe and get out of his way .... his offensive impact has been dissapointing , I know he's 39 and this roster isn't the best fit for him but his attitude in the clutch is a bust
wcsoldier81

Postby JSM on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Everyone can say he was a mistake, broken down, nothing left, and doesn't look like the Phoenix Steve Nash but I'll take a broken down Nash over starting Blake any night of the week and twice on Sunday.

Really hoping we can some news on his return during the post-game interviews tonight.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Egor190 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:15 pm

we could use this guys shooting
Egor190

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:17 pm

We do need his shooting/scoring, but at the same time the guy gives up as many points as he gets, if not more. I shudder to think what more CP3 would have done to him today.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby SK8 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:23 pm

I love Steve so much, but i still think he need to pack his bags and go this summer.....
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby The Rock on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:32 pm

I hope he returns in the POR game, I think we can take care of New Orleans without him

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-steve-nash-20130408,0,2593954.story

Steve Nash is doubtful to play on Tuesday night, still struggling with hamstring and hip soreness.

"Steve is still experiencing some discomfort, and it's day to day and he'll keep trying to improve," said Coach Mike D'Antoni. "It's getting better but it's not quite there yet."

On Sunday, D'Antoni said he was hoping to have Nash back by Tuesday for the Lakers' battle against the New Orleans Hornets. Steve Blake will get the start instead.

The Lakers have five games remaining to make up ground on the eighth-place Utah Jazz. Unless the Jazz lose at least one game, the Lakers won't be able to catch them in the standings.

Nash has played in just 50 of 77 games this season. He went down with a leg fracture in the second game of the season. On the year he's averaging 12.7 points and 6.7 assists while shooting 49.7% from the field and 43.8% from the arc.

After facing the Hornets on Tuesday, the Lakers are to visit the Portland Trail Blazers the following night. In 15 tries, the team has yet to win on consecutive nights.

Nash's status for Wednesday isn't clear. The veteran point guard has been sidelined since March 30 after playing just two minutes against the Sacramento Kings. He was injured in the first half of a loss to the Milwaukee Bucks on March 28.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:30 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:I love Steve so much, but i still think he need to pack his bags and go this summer.....

At $9M a year, he's too much of a liability on defense. Allows way too much scoring, penetration.

I love the guy but it would be awesome if he "retired" and then re-signed with us shortly after on the cheap as a backup. Then I wouldn't feel guilty saying this stuff
Chillbongo

Postby borri on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
Uncle Drew wrote:I love Steve so much, but i still think he need to pack his bags and go this summer.....

At $9M a year, he's too much of a liability on defense. Allows way too much scoring, penetration.

I love the guy but it would be awesome if he "retired" and then re-signed with us shortly after on the cheap as a backup. Then I wouldn't feel guilty saying this stuff

It's not just Nash. It's also Kobe and Pau. No wonder we can't stop anybody. I shudder to think what we'd look like if we didn't have D12 in the middle........ :man4:
borri

Postby karacha on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:47 pm

With Dwight in beast mode, we look average at best. And I think that's how we're ranked actually. Without Dwight, we're absolutely horrible on D. In that case we only have Clark (inexperienced) and Metta (old). That's it. Others don't bring it consistently, or don't bring it at all.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:52 pm

borri wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:

It's not just Nash. It's also Kobe and Pau. No wonder we can't stop anybody. I shudder to think what we'd look like if we didn't have D12 in the middle........ :man4:

Yep, we simply don't have the personnel to defend. Too many old and unathletic guys. This was always my main concern going into the season, but I thought we would be good enough offensively to make up for it and that Dwight would cover our butts. MDA thought the same thing I think. The problem is Dwight HAS covered our butts and we're still terrible. I didn't envision us being THIS bad defensively. It would take a defensive anchor like Bill Russell to fix this.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby karacha on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:54 pm

All true, but we need Nash back ASAP. His shooting will be crucial if we want to make the playoffs.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:57 pm

^^^
Heck i dont even think Bill Russell can fix this. No one player can. 2 glaring holes in Nash and Pau and a player who roams like a freaking nomad in Kobe.

To boot, our defensive rotations are downright atrocious. It's either a layup, second chance dunk, or a wide open J.
borri

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Yeah, the rotations can be fixed though. Or at least improved. Would we be significantly better? Nope.

But if we got a player or two that improved, I think it'd make a big difference. Frankly, if we go into next season with Kobe & Nash as our back court, we're going to be in trouble.

Even if it's something like Nash/Kobe/Batum/Clark/Howard
Chillbongo

Postby JSM on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 3h
When @samsteeleponder and I spoke to Steve Nash yesterday, he said it was more of a hamstring injury now than a hip injury.

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 3h
Nash said inretrospect he wouldnt have tried to push thru the hamstring issue on that road trip, but he didnt realize it would get worse
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:53 pm

Honestly...

Dude might have to retire. He's missed so much time and the time he didn't miss he hasn't looked ANYTHING like the Steve Nash we all thought we were getting. World's worse than even just a year ago.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:11 pm

^ I think he has one more year in him. Until after the All-Star break I'd restrict him to 25 minutes a game. Q1: First 8
Q2: Final 6
Q3: First 5
Q4: Final 6

Bump them as needed after that, but DO NOT play him more than 30 minutes. He's played 37+ minutes 8 times this year -- I think that's too many for him at this stage in his career. I think he can still play a vital role for us next season, but minute management is key.
JSM

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:13 pm

I don't want Nash to retire, I want his salary cap hit to retire. 18 million for the next two seasons is a little too much for a 40 year old PG.

I never understood that 3rd year of the deal? Why not 2? :man3:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:18 pm

JSM wrote:^ I think he has one more year in him. Until after the All-Star break I'd restrict him to 25 minutes a game. Q1: First 8
Q2: Final 6
Q3: First 5
Q4: Final 6

Bump them as needed after that, but DO NOT play him more than 30 minutes. He's played 37+ minutes 8 times this year -- I think that's too many for him at this stage in his career. I think he can still play a vital role for us next season, but minute management is key.

That would have been easier if we'd had Blake all season long.

And Doc, I think it was just for the guaranteed money, but I think he has no intention of playing longer than Kobe. If Kobe comes back for a year, then Nash will likely play that last year. If Kobe retires, Nash will probably go with him.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:16 pm

We need a PG who can hit 3s and doesn't turn the ball over...thats been Nash's problem he turns it over too much and he's getting destroyed when handling the ball, creating live ball turnovers with risky passes or bounce passes to Dwight in traffic (hello it doesnt work for Dwight!), which turns to transition opportunities for other team. We can live with his poor defense, we've won before with bad defense from PGs. His ball handling has super been iffy, he has had loads of trouble bringing the ball up the court and set the offense running, quicker/faster PG's have pushed him around in that area...the team is up working against the clock by the time he's able to bring the ball up the court and get rid of it

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:48 am

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's done for the season ...
wcsoldier81

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:04 am

Damn, Nash may not play tomorrow
https://twitter.com/LAIreland/status/321879730146136064

I don't think so--maybe this weekend RT @_562kid is nash gonna play next game

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:57 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/36364/injury-update-steve-nash-jordan-hill

LOS ANGELES -- Will Metta World Peace's speedy return from knee surgery set the table for a couple of other Los Angeles Lakers players to follow suit as they recover from their own injuries?

Maybe.

Steve Nash will travel with the Lakers for their game against the Portland Trail Blazers on Wednesday. A source close to Nash told ESPNLosAngeles.com that the point guard is eyeing a Friday return when the Lakers host the Golden State Warriors and characterized the chances of him playing against the Blazers as "slim."

Nash has recently switched to a new, stronger medication in hopes of alleviating the pain associated with the right hip injury that has been causing him hamstring problems and kept him out of all but two minutes of the Lakers' last five games.

I think D'Antoni might have to let Morris and Ebanks loose in this one, POR has the worst bench in the league, they average only 17 points game, 9 less than the 29th ranked team

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion