Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Steve Nash Discussion: passes Magic in all time assists

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:08 pm

his imprint disappeared a bit down the stretch, but he was pretty good for us this game.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:24 pm

He didn't touch the ball down the stretch. :man10:

I'm okay with it for now because it's working. But I'd like to see him touch the ball a bit more and have Kobe move off the ball a little.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:56 pm

it's great that nash has started to play like nash. i felt so robbed early in the season when dwight was hobbling and nash was doing nothing post injury.

now at least nash is fun to watch again and we have a deadly backcourt
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:57 pm

Love watching this guy operate :jam2:
Jazzygirl205

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:56 am

He has to step up and not just getting out of Kobe way in the clutch ... way too much predictable and has lost us a ton of games these latest 2+ seasons .

I'm not sure how this team can run the same play for 5 mins and not use one of the most efficient offensive players ever one single time ... MDA offensive genius :man10:
wcsoldier81

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:52 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:He has to step up and not just getting out of Kobe way in the clutch ... way too much predictable and has lost us a ton of games these latest 2+ seasons .

I'm not sure how this team can run the same play for 5 mins and not use one of the most efficient offensive players ever one single time ... MDA offensive genius :man10:

I don't either. And it was absolutely by design. Nash would come up and hand it off to Kobe. I don't understand that. I understand getting the ball to Kobe, but I don't understand dropping the ball off to Kobe and having him handle it all possession over and over. Seemed to be going to the well too many times. Luckily Kobe finished everything off, but they have more offensive weapons and options on the team even with Pau down. Let Nash run the damn offense.
Lakerjones

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:20 am

Because it's working.

If it wasn't working, we wouldn't be doing it. Teams are single covering Kobe right now and Kobe is making them pay. Once teams start doubling him, he doesn't have any problem handing the ball back to Nash.

The only thing I'd like to see differently is some Kobe/Dwight off the ball actions. Just like Atlanta did to us with Korver and Horford, we should be able to do the same with Kobe and Dwight.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:38 am

therealdeal wrote:Because it's working.

If it wasn't working, we wouldn't be doing it. Teams are single covering Kobe right now and Kobe is making them pay. Once teams start doubling him, he doesn't have any problem handing the ball back to Nash.

The only thing I'd like to see differently is some Kobe/Dwight off the ball actions. Just like Atlanta did to us with Korver and Horford, we should be able to do the same with Kobe and Dwight.

It worked enough to get us by I'd say, realdeal. Kobe was 6- 15 in that second half. He wasn't red hot like he was in the fourth quarter at Dallas. It became extremely predictable quickly and those aren't the percentages I love. We have other options on the team and we are more effective when we diversify. I didn't love that execution down the stretch by any means, although I'm thankful that Kobe is superhuman and can still do incredible work to win the game. It was just the same thing over and over with Nash playing spectator. We can do much better than that. And frankly, I expect more out of D' Antoni than that. Mike Brown? Ok. That's what it resembled - Mike Brown ball. Nash got turned into Fisher for some reason. There's no reason to do that. Run some other plays.
Lakerjones

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:56 am

I just don't agree on this point. Was it predictable? Yes. But that's because the defense didn't make any adjustments to do something different. Dallas did and the results showed. Atlanta just kept switching bigs onto him and then using Smith. Kobe roasted them. That's what he was supposed to do.

Now if we were doing that and it didn't work, if Kobe was bricking shots, I'd be upset. But he was attacking and that's what mattered. If the defense had thrown other defenders at him like Dallas did, we'd have seen a different result.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:01 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Because it's working.

It worked enough to get us by I'd say, realdeal. Kobe was 6- 15 in that second half. He wasn't red hot like he was in the fourth quarter at Dallas. It became extremely predictable quickly and those aren't the percentages I love. We have other options on the team and we are more effective when we diversify. I didn't love that execution down the stretch by any means, although I'm thankful that Kobe is superhuman and can still do incredible work to win the game. It was just the same thing over and over with Nash playing spectator. We can do much better than that. And frankly, I expect more out of D' Antoni than that. Mike Brown? Ok. That's what it resembled - Mike Brown ball. Nash got turned into Fisher for some reason. There's no reason to do that. Run some other plays.

We got away with it this game due to the inexplicable decision by Atlanta to have Josh Smith guarding Kobe. I don't like the trend in general though and it is extremely predictable, and it has cost us games. If this is by design by the coaching staff, that is a head scratcher.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby JSM on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:14 pm

Took him 24 minutes to get going, but his J was money in the second half. Wish we would have tried to get him a little more involved in the 4th though.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:17 pm

^Great point about the 4th quarter. I wished he would have been more involved, too. He was uncharacteristically bad in the 1st half. It wasn't nothing OKC was doing; the shots in the 1st half he was missing are normally the shots Nash can hit blindfolded. The 2nd half was a completely different player. He ended up finishing with 20pts, 4rebounds, and 4 assists.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:30 am

If he hits those shots in the first though the dynamics of the game change. Maybe we don't go Kobe-iso for almost the entire second half if he doesn't suck it up in that first half...

Sorry, but that to me was the game changer on our offensive side. If we were going to win that game, he can't do that in the first half and neither can Metta and neither can Clark.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:44 pm

therealdeal wrote:If he hits those shots in the first though the dynamics of the game change. Maybe we don't go Kobe-iso for almost the entire second half if he doesn't suck it up in that first half...

Sorry, but that to me was the game changer on our offensive side. If we were going to win that game, he can't do that in the first half and neither can Metta and neither can Clark.

dont forget King Dwight
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Him too.

It's easy to look at his totals at the end of the game and say "Oh Steve had 20 points on good shooting, it wasn't him".

But one of the keys to beating OKC is weathering the storm of the first half. We let them get a huge lead and we couldn't even answer back defensively. It was a load of crap on our end. We CANNOT start games that way against great teams.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:44 pm

^ I agree 100%.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Anybody see him shoot the inbounds pass to Kobe? :man10:

Just a little subtle reminder: "Oh don't forget guys, I can shoot the ball when Kobe kicks to me."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:31 pm

Nash's thoughts on spacing

http://sulia.com/channel/la-lakers/f/e653b20f-3df2-47fa-b6c4-adb1236e2754/?source=twitter

Earlier this week, Steve Nash laid out how interconnected each man on the floor is on pick-and-roll sets.

His answers were prompted when I asked him if the screens Dwight Howard sets need to be different for him and for Kobe

"I don't think it's the types of picks, I think it's more where he's going to get the ball. What his next move is after setting a good pick. It's really multi-faceted. You can't really narrow it down. It's a commitment from both players, and all five players involved to do their part in making it successful. If a guy is supposed to be spacing the floor in the corner and he creeps up five or six feet and allows his defender to hang around, it congests things. Even as far as the guys standing in the corner have got a job to do in spacing the floor. So I think it's really something we have to get a feel for one another as far as me and Dwight and Kobe and Dwight, but it's also something I think we need to get a feel as five guys, trying to figure out how we can make them pay.

But it really isn't a matter of "Go set a pick." There's a read involved. Multiple reads.

"That's one part of it. Each of us have different reads. The corner guy has got to make sure he's in the corner, and if his man helps then he can slide into an open area. The point guard obviously has got to try and get his man off the screen and create pressure on the defense to make a decision, and the big's got to run into the screen, set a good screen, and roll down the paint and draw attention. There's lots of different things going on there."

He has said you want him out of that screen as fast as he can.

"Eventually, yeah. I think once he feels better. The quicker the better. But right now, he's done a better job lately. He's been really freeing me up for jump shots and penetration. I think that's difficult for the defense. The more he does that, the better we are offensively and the harder we are to play against."

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:37 pm

It all starts with a good solid pick. Nash knows that and now it seems like Dwight knows that too.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Finwë on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:57 am

therealdeal wrote:Anybody see him shoot the inbounds pass to Kobe? :man10:

Just a little subtle reminder: "Oh don't forget guys, I can shoot the ball when Kobe kicks to me."

Yeah that was funny
Mike Trudell rationalized it saying he was trying to get any sort of shooting rythm he could in case the ball came to him later, because he hadn't shot in a while (I don't think he took a shot in that 4th quarter.. All I remember where Kobe and Meeks destroying them, a couple of Dwight dunks, and a few awful clanks from MWP)
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Yeah I think Nash really took a step back and let Kobe and Dwight do their thing. He really was just there as a spacing option.

That makes sense too, I just thought it was funny in the game. He actually did it twice. If I were the defender and I saw him gearing up for that, I'd go make a play on the ball.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:25 pm

Dave McMenamin
The Lakers have 20 games left. How many wins do they need for the playoffs? Steve Nash says 15 ...
"We got to win three out of four games, at least, the rest of the way," Nash said after Lakers shootaround Friday in advance of their game against the Toronto Raptors. "We have 20 games left, so three out of four would put us quite a ways over .500 by the end of it. If we hover around .500, we’re not going to get in."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby themasterphil on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:43 pm

awful performance by Nash...he is completely useless out there....terrible :bang:
themasterphil

Postby karacha on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:31 pm

themasterphil wrote:awful performance by Nash...he is completely useless out there....terrible :bang:

22/4/2, with 2 steals, shooting over 50%. Sucked today.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:35 pm

had some nice threes. botched the clutch free throws though.......not a good sign for the playoffs.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion