Nash Discussion: #injuredagain. nerve irritation. #andagain

Re: Steve Nash Discussion - Welcome to LA!

Postby Ras Algethi on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:27 pm

MadMax wrote:Who is that player shaking Stern's hand? I can't quite tell.

Pretty sure that's Ray Allen.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:33 pm

Ray Allen
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby MadMax on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:41 pm

Ah, okay. Now I see it. Weird seeing him with hair. Thanks.
MadMax

Postby The Rock on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Judas Shuttleworth

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:33 pm

The Rock wrote:

Judas Shuttleworth

I see what you did there. :man1:
Savory Griddles

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:12 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Lqv2015 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:50 pm

The only thing I worry about is CaCHooKa being worn out posting up Nash highlights. :jam2:
LAKERS-4-LIFE
Lqv2015

Re: Steve Nash Discussion (p. 41: On ESPN Radio Today @ 10 AM)

Postby dj vitus on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:17 pm

The Rock wrote:
Balance&Options24 wrote:On the Dan Patrick show they had an interesting fact that in the past 25 years no team that has had a player in the top 5 in assist has won the championship.

I hope Nash is 6th in assist, lol.

I think they're wrong Magic Johnson won in 88 and hes gotta be up there in assists and Isaiah was up in assists too in 89 and 90 and won a ring

'88 is about 25 years ago. Yes, we're old. :man11:

That said, knowing the Lakers, Nash's assist numbers will go down because he'll be relegated to dumping the ball to Kobe and being a spot-up shooter. So more rings for us. :jam2: :jam2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:49 pm

Anyone know when they'll start selling Nash jerseys?
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby kray28 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:02 pm

KeepBynum wrote:Anyone know when they'll start selling Nash jerseys?

I think he has to actually be traded to us first. Right now is the moratorium, which will last until the 10th, so everything is verbal
kray28

Postby jlkr on Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:44 pm

Plus Nash still has to pick a number as he can't get 13 here.
He wore 15 in Dallas, but MWP has that one now.
Someone pointed out that 11 was his number in college and I do finally remember that one.
So ... he seems to like odd numbers in the teens...
my guess is 11.
Wild guess is 19.
Really wild guess is 7.
Totally off the wall guess: he gets permission from Kobe to take 8.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby jimbo327 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:25 am

All I want to see next season is pick and roll, pick and roll, pick and roll. Someone teach Drew and Pau how to set a mean screen.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby BadCoaching on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:09 am

I'm a little disappointed to see Sessions leave honestly.. I was really hoping he'd be able to learn under Nash. Sessions has all of those athletic abilities.. and the swag to be a lot better.

It's a shame we aren't pruning a new generation PG under Nash... he's going to be one hell of a teacher I know that much. I can't believe one of our hardest rivals through the years is going to help us get a ring.. that's badass.
BadCoaching

Postby eltoro on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:39 am

jimbo327 wrote:All I want to see next season is pick and roll, pick and roll, pick and roll. Someone teach Drew and Pau how to set a mean screen.

Hmm. If the bigs that we have couldn't really defend the pick and roll, then how likely are they gonna succeed in running the pick and roll on offense. Remember, its not coaching on this one. Bynum, and to a lesser extent Pau, were bad defending the pick and roll under Phil Jackson as well as Mike Brown.
eltoro

Postby revgen on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:51 am

BadCoaching wrote:I'm a little disappointed to see Sessions leave honestly.. I was really hoping he'd be able to learn under Nash. Sessions has all of those athletic abilities.. and the swag to be a lot better.

It's a shame we aren't pruning a new generation PG under Nash... he's going to be one hell of a teacher I know that much. I can't believe one of our hardest rivals through the years is going to help us get a ring.. that's badass.

Sessions is 26 years old. He's looking for a starting job. Not a learning opportunity.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby trodgers on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:57 am

eltoro wrote:
jimbo327 wrote:All I want to see next season is pick and roll, pick and roll, pick and roll. Someone teach Drew and Pau how to set a mean screen.

Hmm. If the bigs that we have couldn't really defend the pick and roll, then how likely are they gonna succeed in running the pick and roll on offense. Remember, its not coaching on this one. Bynum, and to a lesser extent Pau, were bad defending the pick and roll under Phil Jackson as well as Mike Brown.

It's not like "Pick and Roll" is an ability that covers both offense and defense, just as dunking and defending dunks are different skills, shooting jumpers and defending against jumpers are different skills, too.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:27 am

jlkr wrote:Plus Nash still has to pick a number as he can't get 13 here.
He wore 15 in Dallas, but MWP has that one now.
Someone pointed out that 11 was his number in college and I do finally remember that one.
So ... he seems to like odd numbers in the teens...
my guess is 11.
Wild guess is 19.
Really wild guess is 7.
Totally off the wall guess: he gets permission from Kobe to take 8.

Nash actually wore 13 in Dallas as well.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:36 pm

Why Kobe and Nash will make a great duo

Ryan Feldman & Rachel Eldridge of ESPN
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:53 pm

JSM wrote:Why Kobe and Nash will make a great duo

Fun read!
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Beat me too it. And yes a very good read indeed. Just watching those two work is well worth the price of admission now :jam2:

Can't wait
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Jarrod N Rudolph ‏@JRudolphSports
Listen, I think Nash is great. But you guys aren't giving Amare, Shawn, Joe and D'Antoni's system nearly enough credit for his success.

Yes, because Nash hasn't touched a basketball since those guys were on the team and it's all hype at this point with him. Hater in the house.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby TIME on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:06 pm

therealdeal wrote:

Fun read!

Yeah, that was a good read.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:07 pm

If anything it's the other way around. Nash doesn't get enough credit for making Amare and Johnson look like superstars and making Mike look like a competent coach. How have those guys done since leaving Phoenix? Not that good. Amare is a shell of himself, Johnson is still decent, and Mike is out of a job.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby XXIV on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:10 pm

KeepBynum wrote:If anything it's the other way around. Nash doesn't get enough credit for making Amare and Johnson look like superstars and making Mike look like a competent coach. How have those guys done since leaving Phoenix? Not that good. Amare is a shell of himself, Johnson is still decent, and Mike is out of a job.

I agree with most of what you've said, but Amare was still a good player when he left PHX. His first year in NY he was playing some great ball, but again became riddled with injuries.
XXIV

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:11 pm

Steve Nash is an efficiency expert

Steve Nash can be tough on coaches.

Scheming to stop his relentless pick-and-roll game often leaves even the best tacticians futilely scribbling on whiteboards.

"The agony he caused before games, during games and after games trying out how to figure out how you were going to do it better ... " former New York Knicks and Houston Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said, his voice trailing off, "He's taken years off coaches' lives."

The newest Laker has also left heartache in his wake.

One of the most difficult losses that Don Nelson endured in a 34-year, Hall of Fame coaching career involved Nash leaving the Dallas Mavericks in the summer of 2004 to sign as a free agent with the Phoenix Suns.

"It deflated my desires there because he was my favorite player," Nelson recalled in a phone interview from his home in Maui. "To lose him killed me. I tried my best to deal with it. It's not that I stopped trying or anything, but there was a little something cut out of my heart losing Nash."

Now there's presumably a massive bounce in Lakers Coach Mike Brown's step after Nash agreed Wednesday to a three-year, $27-million contract as part of a sign-and-trade deal with Phoenix.

Brown can't comment until the free-agent moratorium ends Wednesday, but Kobe Bryant was ebullient when the Lakers star met with reporters Friday in Las Vegas after Team USA's first practice in preparation for the Olympics.

"He gives us a much, much better chance," Bryant said of the Lakers' title hopes.

Those who have coached Nash say the two-time most valuable player does more than provide Bryant with a dynamic point guard, something that has been missing for most of his 16 seasons with the Lakers.

"It really goes beyond that," saidMike D'Antoni, who coached Nash in Phoenix from 2004 to 2008. "The way Steve is as a teammate, the way he sets the tone, the way the team kind of takes on his persona. As a coach, that's the best thing in the world. It's easy to coach. He's taking care of the chemistry. You just coach."

Of course, it's hard not to be popular when your primary focus is getting others the ball.

And Nash, 38, has done it better than anyone besides Jason Kidd since turning pro in 1996. His 9,616 assists rank fifth on the NBA's all-time list, and he has led the league in that category in each of the last three seasons and in six of the last eight.

He's hardly one-dimensional, though.

Nash is routinely among the top three-point shooters in the NBA (career 42.8%) and is second all-time in free-throw accuracy.

"He's an unbelievably efficient offensive player," said Van Gundy, who is now an analyst for ABC and ESPN. "You just don't see guys shoot 50%, 40% from three and 90% from the line and make the passes he can make. It's pretty amazing."

Van Gundy said he anticipated the Lakers would run far more pick-and-roll plays with the ambidextrous Nash, who always seems to be able to make the right pass to players cutting toward the basket in heavily congested areas.

Though the Lakers' roster is configured differently than that of the Suns, who spaced the floor with three-point shooters, it does offers something Nash has never previously experienced: a pair of 7-foot targets in Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol and an MVP teammate in Bryant.

"It's a perfect scenario," Nelson said. "Kobe really needs someone to get him a shot every once in a while. He's one-on-two about half the time."

Nelson said Nash's game hasn't changed much since the veteran coach convinced him to become more of a scorer during his six seasons with the Mavericks from 1998 to 2004.

Not that it was an easy sell.

The pass-first point guard was a reluctant shooter, Nelson said, who modeled his game after John Stockton, the NBA's all-time assist leader. The coach told Nash that he was a better shooter than the Utah Jazz legend and needed to score more to help Dallas win the Western Conference.

"I was trying to get him to be a 20-10 guy," Nelson said, referring to his proposed breakdown of averages for points and assists, "but he's so unselfish that he could care less about the scoring. He would rather pass and have other people enjoy the moment of scoring."

Nash eventually complied and his scoring average took a big leap, going from 8.6 points a game in his second season with the Mavericks to 15.6 points in his third season and 17.9 in his fourth.

Two years later, with the Suns, he won the first of back-to-back MVP awards.

Though Nash probably would never make it onto anyone's list of top defenders, Nelson said the perception that he is a liability is overblown.

"How many point guards are great defenders anyway?" Nelson said. "You can count them on two fingers probably. There isn't anybody who plays the angles better than he does, so he'll be a very smart defender, but physically he isn't going to be the best defender in the league."

He could also be the smartest guy in the (weight) room.

Casey Jacobsen got a feel for Nash's ability to maximize his physique during 6:30 a.m. workouts in the summer of 2004.

"He comes in the weight room and he does this crazy stuff with the Physioball," recalled Jacobsen, the former Glendora High and Stanford star who played with Nash for half a season with the Suns before being traded to New Orleans. "He can stand on it and balance or you could throw him a medicine ball and he won't fall down. It's pretty incredible.

"He does everything with a purpose. He was the kind of guy that led me to question, why am I doing this and for what purpose? Will it help me get better in my position?"

Nash was an unassailable leader in the locker room, Jacobsen said.

"He's a guy that can relate to every type of player," said Jacobsen, who now plays for Brose Baskets Bamberg, a German team in the Euroleague. "And that's a skill that you don't always see. Some guys stick to their own or have a little clique on the team. He has good relationships with the coaching staff, the training staff and the players."

Phoenix Coach Alvin Gentry helped Nash combat his advancing age last season by curtailing his minutes to 31.6 a game, his lowest average since his fourth NBA season.

Nash responded by averaging a double-double in points (12.5) and assists (10.7) for the seventh time in the last eight seasons. The Lakers are hoping for similar production after making what might be described as a pretty good move to acquire a player probably bound for the Hall of Fame.

"Not pretty good. Real good," said D'Antoni, an assistant coach for the U.S. Olympic team. "I think he's got a lot more in the tank. Having the possibility to compete for a title will stimulate him even further. I think it's terrific."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-steve-nash-lakers-20120708,0,7656203,full.story
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion