Steve Nash's thoughts on the current state of the Lakers

Re: Steve Nash's thoughts on the current state of the Lakers

Postby SpencerHarrison on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:57 am

Also, I realize this is old news but...

I kind of want to use prohibited expletives to describe how I feel about Nash giving up on the season. Can't believe there isn't more hate for this piece.
SpencerHarrison

Postby strategos on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:46 am

hollywood swinger wrote:
dj vitus wrote:Wow, this whole Nash hate is a complete joke. Dude is the best shooter we've ever had in the history of this franchise. Look it up.

And the main reason Nash isn't passing "enough" is because Dwight can't handle a bounce pass while moving to save his life. That and of course Kobe is going to "ball hog" late in games. That doesn't mean Nash "sucks" or he's "not worth it."

So if Dwight (and sometimes Gasol, too) is too shy to cut to the hoop the way 'Twan and Clark do, Nash has to take the pull-up jumper. And he hits them. Consistently. Practically automatic. How many times has Jodie Meeks hit a wide-open jumper this season when we really needed him to? :man10: If Nash is hitting jumper after jumper, there's no pressing need to force passes. He's smart enough to go with what works.

Without Nash, we'd probably be at least 5 or 10 games under .500 right now.

i don't hate Nash it's just plain and simple he is too old and eats up too much cap space. for the future we need a younger stud pg to pair with D12.

Of course we do for the future. I'm pretty sure nobody considers Nash a part of the Lakers long term future, but I firmly believe he can be a valuable part of our potential run this and the next season.

I agree completely with fabfourlakers that in the play offs, we should expect another version of him, a very clutch and feisty one. Every game that is close will be a nightmare for our opponents if we can go either to Kobe or Nash near the end. Pau and MWP can be clutch as well, against all odds, I expect good things from this team from now on... that is assuming the injuries finally come to an end
strategos

Postby hollywood swinger on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:28 am

strategos wrote:
hollywood swinger wrote:
dj vitus wrote:Wow, this whole Nash hate is a complete joke. Dude is the best shooter we've ever had in the history of this franchise. Look it up.

And the main reason Nash isn't passing "enough" is because Dwight can't handle a bounce pass while moving to save his life. That and of course Kobe is going to "ball hog" late in games. That doesn't mean Nash "sucks" or he's "not worth it."

So if Dwight (and sometimes Gasol, too) is too shy to cut to the hoop the way 'Twan and Clark do, Nash has to take the pull-up jumper. And he hits them. Consistently. Practically automatic. How many times has Jodie Meeks hit a wide-open jumper this season when we really needed him to? :man10: If Nash is hitting jumper after jumper, there's no pressing need to force passes. He's smart enough to go with what works.

i don't hate Nash it's just plain and simple he is too old and eats up too much cap space. for the future we need a younger stud pg to pair with D12.

Of course we do for the future. I'm pretty sure nobody considers Nash a part of the Lakers long term future, but I firmly believe he can be a valuable part of our potential run this and the next season.

I agree completely with fabfourlakers that in the play offs, we should expect another version of him, a very clutch and feisty one. Every game that is close will be a nightmare for our opponents if we can go either to Kobe or Nash near the end. Pau and MWP can be clutch as well, against all odds, I expect good things from this team from now on... that is assuming the injuries finally come to an end

so you wanna waste 2 more years of D12's prime with nash being the pg of this team? noooooo gotta get ride of Nash pronto and get a young stud pg.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby strategos on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:09 am

^ isn't he signed for only one more year? If yes and if he's healthy, I would be willing to give it another shot next season. 2 more seasons is probably too much.

With that said, if we can replace him with a "PG stud" and he retires, I would not be dissapointed at all. It's just that I don't see us filling all the holes in one of season (go Mitch go :jam2: ) and PG doesn't seem to be our main issue. Nash can still be very efective when it reallyt matters, at least that is what I believe.
strategos

Postby kenzo on Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:25 am

We should all remember that young, stud PG's grow on trees... :man9:
kenzo

Postby JGC on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:18 am

hollywood swinger wrote:

You can say that for just about every single one of our older players. Kobe, Pau, Ron, Nash, all of those guys are old and eat up more cap space than they should.

The only way we're going to pair D12 with a stud PG is when all of those guys are either gone, or, resign on substantially cheaper deals. I got blasted for it earlier in the season when I said I'd rather have Jrue Holiday than Nash right now!
JGC

Postby hollywood swinger on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:54 am

kenzo wrote:We should all remember that young, stud PG's grow on trees... :man9:

we are the Lakers for God sakes we can get any player we want :tongue1:
hollywood swinger

Postby hollywood swinger on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:59 am

strategos wrote:^ isn't he signed for only one more year? If yes and if he's healthy, I would be willing to give it another shot next season. 2 more seasons is probably too much.

With that said, if we can replace him with a "PG stud" and he retires, I would not be dissapointed at all. It's just that I don't see us filling all the holes in one of season (go Mitch go :jam2: ) and
PG doesn't seem to be our main issue.
Nash can still be very efective when it reallyt matters, at least that is what I believe.

you obviously haven't seen our pathetic perimeter defense this & the last 5 years nor our pathetic handling of token full court pressure that causes turnovers against our pg's. also have you noticed that guy 24 is our best assist man & is only player who can breakdown a defense?
hollywood swinger

Postby hollywood swinger on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:59 am

strategos wrote:^ isn't he signed for only one more year? If yes and if he's healthy, I would be willing to give it another shot next season. 2 more seasons is probably too much.

With that said, if we can replace him with a "PG stud" and he retires, I would not be dissapointed at all. It's just that I don't see us filling all the holes in one of season (go Mitch go :jam2: ) and
Nash can still be very efective when it reallyt matters, at least that is what I believe.

:man3: you obviously haven't seen our pathetic perimeter defense this & the last 5 years nor our pathetic handling of token full court pressure that causes turnovers against our pg's. also have you noticed that guy 24 is our best assist man & is only player who can breakdown a defense?
hollywood swinger

Postby khmrP on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:10 am

kenzo wrote:We should all remember that young, stud PG's grow on trees... :man9:

would be nice if Mitch wand could locate this tree .....almost had it with Sessions.
khmrP

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:42 am

Steve should have kept that to himself
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby strategos on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:48 am

hollywood swinger wrote:

:man3: you obviously haven't seen our pathetic perimeter defense this & the last 5 years nor our pathetic handling of token full court pressure that causes turnovers against our pg's. also have you noticed that guy 24 is our best assist man & is only player who can breakdown a defense?

Are you referring to the part of my post about the Lakers' main issue? Yes i know his defense is pathetic, but when was the last time we had a good defender at PG? We won chips with atrocious defense at the point. His offense can outweiggh that IMO. This entire season has been a complete disaster so far for may reasons and I think we still haven't seen what those guys can do if given enough time together on the court. Nash especially, and I'm beyond certain he can be the "best assist man on this team", we can also improve how we handle full court pressure,that problem is not entirely on him.

Anyways, IMO SF is the bigger issue to address in the perspective of the next season.
strategos

Postby hollywood swinger on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:07 pm

strategos wrote:
hollywood swinger wrote:

Are you referring to the part of my post about the Lakers' main issue?
Yes i know his defense is pathetic, but when was the last time we had a good defender at PG? We won chips with atrocious defense at the point. His offense can outweiggh that IMO.
This entire season has been a complete disaster so far for may reasons and I think we still haven't seen what those guys can do if given enough time together on the court. Nash especially, and I'm beyond certain he can be the "best assist man on this team", we can also improve how we handle full court pressure,that problem is not entirely on him.

Anyways, IMO SF is the bigger issue to address in the perspective of the next season.

that is my point we haven't had a legit pg star since van excel. also good luck with keeping
nash healthy enough to stay on the court. what happens when you play old gezzers too much
they break down and get injured constantly and that has been his mo all season.
hollywood swinger

Postby retro_nights on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:44 am

hollywood swinger wrote:
strategos wrote:
hollywood swinger wrote:

Are you referring to the part of my post about the Lakers' main issue?
Yes i know his defense is pathetic, but when was the last time we had a good defender at PG? We won chips with atrocious defense at the point. His offense can outweiggh that IMO.
This entire season has been a complete disaster so far for may reasons and I think we still haven't seen what those guys can do if given enough time together on the court. Nash especially, and I'm beyond certain he can be the "best assist man on this team", we can also improve how we handle full court pressure,that problem is not entirely on him.

that is my point we haven't had a legit pg star since van excel. also good luck with keeping
nash healthy enough to stay on the court. what happens when you play old gezzers too much
they break down and get injured constantly and that has been his mo all season.

not exactly a babe ruth curse there. if we haven't been successful without a 'legit pg star' then you may have a point.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion